View Full Version : Pencils in caches

Ye Olde Prospector
10-31-2004, 09:16 PM
With cold wx soon to be approaching I would like to remind cache owners and cachers to try to make sure there is at least a pencil in all caches. Pens, gelpens and felt tip pens do not work when temps get below freezing in caches. That makes it very frustrating trying to log visits. I usually throw a bunch of short pencils in my pack this time of year and leave them at caches that don't have them. It's no fun trying to thaw a pen to sign the log. Yes there are some dihards who cache all winter as well.
YOP

Beach Comber
10-31-2004, 10:50 PM
I plan to be a die-hard winter cacher and will try to always have a pencil in tow, jusssssst in case. I have also been known to resort to gouging or "indenting" my name into a log using a rock or stick - after all, if it isn't in the log - it doesn't count as a find! LOL

WhereRWe?
11-01-2004, 07:11 AM
With cold wx soon to be approaching I would like to remind cache owners and cachers to try to make sure there is at least a pencil in all caches. Pens, gelpens and felt tip pens do not work when temps get below freezing in caches. That makes it very frustrating trying to log visits. I usually throw a bunch of short pencils in my pack this time of year and leave them at caches that don't have them. It's no fun trying to thaw a pen to sign the log. Yes there are some dihards who cache all winter as well.
YOP

But did you ever try and use a pencil on a DAMP log book? :(

A pen will work on damp or frozen logs, so the obvious answer is carry your OWN pen. Keep it in your pocket all the time and you will not have to try and use an ice cold pencil. :o

Ye Olde Prospector
11-01-2004, 08:29 AM
From personal experiences last winter I was lucky to get the date written in the log with a warm pen from my pocket before it would quit writing. I'm speaking of temps in single digits or below, at least with wind chill. Pencils seemed to work just fine. Sometimes containers are welded in place with ice and you are lucky to get the cover open enough to get the log out without damaging the container. That's why ammo boxes rule for year round cache containers. Also remove any bubble stuff from caches as the containers usually freeze and split open, and the next time it warms up you have a real mess. Just my own observations.

Hiker Twins
11-01-2004, 09:49 AM
We placed "Rite in the Rain" logbooks in our caches and that solved some of the damp and cold weather problems when it came to writing in them. They are fairly expensive, but worth it.

WhereRWe?
11-01-2004, 01:43 PM
And this thread brings up an interesting question: how many of you can remember those days BEFORE ball point pens? :D

(I hate to admite that I can...)

brdad
11-02-2004, 08:37 PM
And this thread brings up an interesting question: how many of you can remember those days BEFORE ball point pens? :D

(I hate to admite that I can...)

I've heard about them old pens. It musta been real hard writing out checks for computer parts with them things.

WhereRWe?
11-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Ah... The good old days....

I also remember when ALL shirts had pockets, you always had a ball point pen in the pocket, and it INVARIABLY leaked and ruined your shirt.

I still always carry a ball pojnt pen - usually in the pocket of my pants though - and can't even remember the last time one leaked. Thicker ink, I think.

noreasta
11-07-2004, 12:53 AM
I am in hopes that we get only enough snow for good local snowmobiling, but not too much so that i would have to dig through lots of snow for hidden caches. I have been there and done that. ( NOT FUN) But i love the conditions last year where on New Years day , One could walk the beaches caching and not worry about snow boots. lets hope winter treats us all well. but Pencil in hand is always a good idea.........