View Full Version : Cache Rescue Revisited

Haffy
08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
I was just wondering if we needed to revisit our cache rescue area of the website. I just happened to come along this article of MIGO's and thought that we could maybe do something on the same lines as they have. I am not sure if we have the numbers involved as they do but it could be something to look into once again.

http://mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?name=Rescue_Mission

MAD-MUFFIN
08-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info, Haffy. I didn't know most of the stuff that this page offered. I think your right, we need to be aware of some of this stuff. There have been a couple of caches in Maine that I have 'backed away' from because of that type of thing. I don't fish in a couple places that I would like to try because of POISON IVY and I try not to place caches in such a spot. The only problem with that is you don't know till later in the summer if you did it.

brdad
08-31-2006, 06:35 PM
The MIGO site is one that helped inspire me to do the cache rescue thing. Unfortunately, the state's cache saturation has gotten to a level where it is hard for me to keep tabs on alone. I do still get a PQ of all disabled caches and try to keep tabs on them, but it's tough, and not all caches that need help are disabled, and there are a few archived caches that need to be removed as well. Perhaps we have a few members who can help or take over?

Haffy
08-31-2006, 07:32 PM
So maybe we need to compile a list of all the archived caches that do need to be removed if they are still there. The only one I know of was the Warden's Outhouse and it was still there after having been archived for well over a year.

HappyTogether
08-31-2006, 07:44 PM
How do you pull up a list of archived caches in your area?

I know that Trolley Line has been archived, but only because its in my list of found caches. The owner of that cache has not logged into GC.com for years, so its likely still sitting there. I am perfectly happy to go retrieve the cache rather than let it sit there and rot.

tat
08-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Maybe we should ask someone at MIGO how they keep tabs on Michigan caches.

Haffy
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
How do you pull up a list of archived caches in your area?

I know that Trolley Line has been archived, but only because its in my list of found caches. The owner of that cache has not logged into GC.com for years, so its likely still sitting there. I am perfectly happy to go retrieve the cache rather than let it sit there and rot.

Plus the fact that you have to walk the now active railroad tracks to get to it now so please be careful if you do attempt to retreive it.

Hiram357
08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
So maybe we need to compile a list of all the archived caches that do need to be removed if they are still there. The only one I know of was the Warden's Outhouse and it was still there after having been archived for well over a year.

Rick and I found that just last week, we didn't know it was archived because we were just going off of the coords in his GPS (I dropped my laptop the morning before so we were technologically destitute in the realm of geocaching) if I had known it was archived I would have carried it out.

hollora
08-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Just pulled 2 archived caches in my area that I though had been removed back in June when they were archived. Gob-ler was in our area and found one which brought the fact to light.

Although I had never found them when out, I went and found and removed - Magic Fingers and He Shoots I Score. Emailed the owner (has not responded). I did not take credit for either of these finds as I did not think that was fair where they were archived and I knew it.

Ye Olde Prospector
08-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Haffy,

I retrieved Trolly Line Cache and sent email to owner in case she wanted the container,logbook etc. Also sent note to GPSFUN . So no concern on that one, taken care of. Got no reply from owner so think she is no longer caching.

YOP

hollora
08-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Forgot to mention - on the caches I picked up. Emailed the owner and posted in log.

HappyTogether
08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Plus the fact that you have to walk the now active railroad tracks to get to it now so please be careful if you do attempt to retreive it.

There is actually a very long way around down the CMP right of way that does not involve the railroad at all, which was the route I planned to take. I see that Ye Olde Prospector has already taken care of it though.

However, I still have the question, how do you list caches in an area which have been archived? This may be something obvious, but it is eluding me.

attroll
09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
On a side note if anyone is going to go and start pulling archived caches you need to also notify GPSFUN so he can disable it. I sometimes look for archived caches. I would not be to thrilled to find out that people are taking it upon themselves to pull archived caches and not notify GPSFUN. Just because you notified the cache owner and he does not respond does not mean you should pull the cache and not notify GPSFUN. He is the overseer for the New England caches. A good example would be the "Warden's Outhouse" that me and Hiram did this last weekend. This cache is still in good shape and all it needs is for someone to take it over.

attroll
09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I was just wondering if we needed to revisit our cache rescue area of the website. I just happened to come along this article of MIGO's and thought that we could maybe do something on the same lines as they have. I am not sure if we have the numbers involved as they do but it could be something to look into once again.

http://mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?name=Rescue_Mission

What a coincidence that you would bring this up Haffy. I was going to post tonight this same question. If the "Cache Rescue" link is not going to be used I am going to remove it. So lets here some feedback on this or have someone take it over.

brdad
09-01-2006, 02:38 AM
I did not take credit for either of these finds as I did not think that was fair where they were archived and I knew it.

IMO and others, you still found the cache so the find could easily be considered valid. I think in order for me to claim a find, I'd have to find enough evidence to be 100% sure it was the cache that I found, not just random trash. We found one such cache up North where we found remanants of the container, logbook, and an ugly flamingo figurine. Of course, it is still up to you and it's just a number. But it's also a record of where you have been!

Hiram357
09-01-2006, 07:42 AM
On a side note if anyone is going to go and start pulling archived caches you need to also notify GPSFUN so he can disable it. I sometimes look for archived caches. I would not be to thrilled to find out that people are taking it upon themselves to pull archived caches and not notify GPSFUN. Just because you notified the cache owner and he does not respond does not mean you should pull the cache and not notify GPSFUN. He is the overseer for the New England caches. A good example would be the "Warden's Outhouse" that me and Hiram did this last weekend. This cache is still in good shape and all it needs is for someone to take it over.

I noticed last night that the cache owner has all of their caches archived, and i read through the logs, and lots of those caches have still been found after they were archived, and the person still appears to be a somewhat active cacher.........

firefighterjake
09-01-2006, 10:18 AM
. . . A good example would be the "Warden's Outhouse" that me and Hiram did this last weekend. This cache is still in good shape and all it needs is for someone to take it over.

Maybe ORCA should adopt this cache!

attroll
09-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Maybe ORCA should adopt this cache!
Not a bad idea. I wished I had thought about that while I was up there.

Hiram357
09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I thought once a cache was archived it couldn't be unarchived, in order to have a cache there another would have to be put in place and be put through the same publishing process again. So someone could put another there, but there's already the virtual 600' past there, and the rip dam rockslide another 600' past there...

brdad
09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I thought once a cache was archived it couldn't be unarchived, in order to have a cache there another would have to be put in place and be put through the same publishing process again. So someone could put another there, but there's already the virtual 600' past there, and the rip dam rockslide another 600' past there...

That's right - as long as it is a legal cache then it can be unarchived by the owner or someone can place a new cache there. It can't be grandfathered in, so just because it was legal when the original cache was placed, if it's not legal now it would not be approved. But if there's another two just down the road how many durn caches do we need?????????

On a side note if anyone is going to go and start pulling archived caches you need to also notify GPSFUN so he can disable it.

I don't get this statement - If a cache is allready archived, it does not need to be disabled. It should, however, be removed. Unless you mean if you are going to remove a cache that needs to be archived, then it is usually best to make sure TPTB are aware and atttempt to notify the owner first, and disable or archive as required.

Beach Comber
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Sometimes the terminology around these caches gets confused. If it is truly archived it won't show up on the cache list, however it will show on your own list if you have found it or written some other type of note. Disabled caches show on the cache list, but have a blue line through them. Disabled caches can be reactivated by the owner without having to resubmit a cache placement form.

Disabled:
This is the message that is posted when a cache is disabled.
It will remain in blue letters and will have a blue line through it.

Cache Issues:
This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.
Archived:
This is the message that is posted when a cache is archived.
It will be in red letters and will have a red line through it.

Cache Issues:
This cache has been archived, but is available for viewing for archival purposes.
This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.

Haffy
09-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes, GPS fun is the one who archived it and he only listed it long enough for the few people who found it after it was archived to be able to log it as a find as Andy and myself did. We too would have picked it up had we had known of it's status at the time. Hopefully someone who lives up in that neck of the woods can geotrash it out sometime in the near future.

Hiram357
09-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Yes, GPS fun is the one who archived it and he only listed it long enough for the few people who found it after it was archived to be able to log it as a find as Andy and myself did. We too would have picked it up had we had known of it's status at the time. Hopefully someone who lives up in that neck of the woods can geotrash it out sometime in the near future.

I sent a message to Dave (& gail) about the cache, they're goin camping up that way this weekend, not sure if it got to them in time though.

attroll
09-01-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't get this statement - If a cache is allready archived, it does not need to be disabled. It should, however, be removed. Unless you mean if you are going to remove a cache that needs to be archived, then it is usually best to make sure TPTB are aware and atttempt to notify the owner first, and disable or archive as required.

What I meant buy that statement was, if a person is going to go an archived cache and physically remove it they need to notify the cache owner and also GPSFUN. This way it can be disabled and people will not be looking for a cache that is not there.

brdad
09-02-2006, 08:04 AM
What I meant buy that statement was, if a person is going to go an archived cache and physically remove it they need to notify the cache owner and also GPSFUN. This way it can be disabled and people will not be looking for a cache that is not there.

But an archived cache does not need to be disabled. If a cache is archived, it is assumed that is no longer there, it will not show up on PQs, so no one should be looking for it. The only exception to this would be when the archived cache was not removed, and that was one of the purposes of the cache rescue - To remove caches that should have been removed when they were archived.

Also, if a cache is archived, either the cache owner did it, or an approver did it, in which case GPSFun or another volunteer are allready aware of it.

attroll
09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
But an archived cache does not need to be disabled. If a cache is archived, it is assumed that is no longer there, it will not show up on PQs, so no one should be looking for it. The only exception to this would be when the archived cache was not removed, and that was one of the purposes of the cache rescue - To remove caches that should have been removed when they were archived.

Also, if a cache is archived, either the cache owner did it, or an approver did it, in which case GPSFun or another volunteer are already aware of it.
Achieved caches will show up on queries if you choose them to. Your right archived caches are assumed to not be there by most people but they are sometime still available. They are not always archived just because people can not find them or are missing. Sometimes they are archived because the owner can no longer maintain it. A good example is "The Fire Warden's Outhouse Cache". It has been archived but is still there and many people are still logging it.

brdad
09-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I am told and still beleive there is no way of getting an archived cache in a PQ. The exception to this would be a PQ of all your finds, using that feature on the PQ page. All I can figure is you are using GSAK and it might keep the cache in it's database and update it after it was archived. Maybe some GSAK users can verify this?

So the fact still remains if a cache is archived and still exists it should be removed if the finder is aware of it's status. Disabling it does nothing to help it at this point.

attroll
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I am told and still believe there is no way of getting an archived cache in a PQ. The exception to this would be a PQ of all your finds, using that feature on the PQ page. All I can figure is you are using GSAK and it might keep the cache in it's database and update it after it was archived. Maybe some GSAK users can verify this?

So the fact still remains if a cache is archived and still exists it should be removed if the finder is aware of it's status. Disabling it does nothing to help it at this point.

Yes you can get archived caches in a PQ. I get them all the time. Unless you put a check mark in "Is Not Active" you will get them. I get them. I can give you a list of all archived or inactive caches in Maine right now. If your using GSAK it will do that for you. The only caches that will not come through on a PQ are disabled ones.

My point was simply that if a person is going to go to an archived cache and they find it and physically remove it that they need to notify the cache owner and GPSFUN. This way it will be disabled and then it will not show up on the PQ's anymore.

Maybe your right with what you said about me having it in my GSAK and GSAK is changing the status. I will look into this. Can you or someone give me one disabled cache so I can research this.

Beach Comber
09-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Here is a disabled cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=daf7665c-3edc-468a-b6e5-2475d3692dc4

Monkezuma's Revenge
Cache Issues:

Here is an archived cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0c714f2e-f4f7-4007-ad5d-7158327a90df

Payson Park by the Boulevard
Cache Issues:

This cache has been archived, but is available for viewing for archival purposes.

attroll
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Here is a disabled cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=daf7665c-3edc-468a-b6e5-2475d3692dc4

Monkezuma's Revenge
Cache Issues:

Here is an archived cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0c714f2e-f4f7-4007-ad5d-7158327a90df

Payson Park by the Boulevard
Cache Issues:

I don't think these caches are actually disabled because I can still write a note to them and log them. I just tried it and was able to write a note. I think when they are disabled you can not write a note or psot to them.

Haffy
09-02-2006, 09:24 PM
One is disabled and the other is archived, a big difference.

attroll
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
One is disabled and the other is archived, a big difference.
How come I can still log to them both then?

Beach Comber
09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Monkezuma's Revenge is disabled - temporary unavailable. You will still see it on a PQ or list of caches if you are searching by zip code, etc. It will be in blue writing with a blue line through it. You can write a note in it. You can actually log it as a find if you find it even though it has been disabled by the owner or gpsfun.

Payson Park is archived. I am positive because I own it and archived it myself. It says archived in the cache issues section as well. If you can get to the listing you can write a note or even log it. I got to it because it is my list of owned caches. It doesn't show up on a list of caches in the area when I search by zip code. It hasn't appeared in any PQ's that I have run recently either.

The difference is seeing it on a list or not. That is what I was trying to explain in a post that I made yesterday. The terminology gets mixed up all the time. I hear people say frequently that a cache is archived when it really is only temporarily disabled.

attroll
09-02-2006, 10:06 PM
It was a GSAK issue. Sorry about the confusion.

Now that I know this I will post a question on this in another forum.

Sudonim
03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Does anyone know the status of "Don't be SAD 37!", GCPV1R? The last post was almost a year ago stating that one stage had been muggled. Just want to know if there is any more info before I post a "needs archiving"

brdad
03-09-2007, 06:33 AM
It's possible it was repaired and they never logged saying so. Have you e-mailed the owner? More then likely the kid has moved on, but who knows...

Other than that, you might try contacting Old Man's Team. I don't think they are too far from there and have been nice when I talked to them.