View Full Version : Night Caches

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 10:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for night caches,(Since Halloween is almost here and there's a lack of night caches around) Finding a place for one is proving to be pretty difficult, not a whole lot of public outdoor areas allow night access. (perhaps someone knows of private land where a night cache can be placed?)

Team2hunt
09-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Any cache that you find after about 745PM, this time of year is a night cache. :D We love to night hunt. Just did 5 of them on the way home from Greenville. Spooky around cemetaries in late October. :p

dí76
09-04-2006, 10:57 AM
You could use the UMO forest in Old Town. People are on those trails all hours of the night. There are two places I would recommend. The forest right behind the elementary school(this is the access point, hundreds of people go bye there daily nobody will be suspicious of activity there.) on the bike path is an option and so is the trail system behind McDonalds on college Ave.

Sounds like a good Idea.

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Any cache that you find after about 745PM, this time of year is a night cache. :D We love to night hunt. Just did 5 of them on the way home from Greenville. Spooky around cemetaries in late October. :p

I think you're missin the point gary... :rolleyes: I'm lookin for placed to hide "NIGHT ONLY" Caches, like the cache in Palermo, the Osgood cache, You have to have a flashlight to follow reflective markers to find the cache. I've got a cool idea for a night multi cache... but no where to put it.

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 10:59 AM
You could use the UMO forest in Old Town. People are on those trails all hours of the night. There are two places I would recommend. The forest right behind the elementary school(this is the access point, hundreds of people go bye there daily nobody will be suspicious of activity there.) on the bike path is an option and so is the trail system behind McDonalds on college Ave.

Sounds like a good Idea.

Do people use them at night for the trails, or use them at night for other activities?? (the safety of the night cache/cacher is a pretty big concern)

dí76
09-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Do people use them at night for the trails, or use them at night for other activities?? (the safety of the night cache/cacher is a pretty big concern)

I think that you will be alset. I have been on those trial for 20 plus years and never had an incident. I am sure some things have gone down there. But nothing that I would be overly concerned with. The Old Town Police department manages this place quite well.

The places that I speak of are places that you may have been if you have done any of these caches.
These two are behind the Elementary school
Remember when Civil defense
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6e55387f-c97e-4d13-b16b-9a4dbe415e22

Dude wheres my stash
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4067cc00-edcf-4cfd-9d9b-740b9ae965eb

This one is on College Ave behind MacDonalds
Run Forest Run
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ff4f234c-2240-4171-8c73-491a4d0695cb

dí76
09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Heres there rec trails maps

http://www.umaine.edu/canam/pdf/%20%20Trail%20Map.pdf#search=%22old%20town%20maine %20trail%20maps%22

Haffy
09-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Well I'm sure Hiram won't be placing any night caches all the way up in Old Town though. The hard part about putting out night caches is the fact it is hard to find a public place to put them without a lot of suspicion,certainly permission would be a prewequisite to putting one out unless you had your own land.

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Well I'm sure Hiram won't be placing any night caches all the way up in Old Town though. The hard part about putting out night caches is the fact it is hard to find a public place to put them without a lot of suspicion,certainly permission would be a prewequisite to putting one out unless you had your own land.

I dunno, my new job is keeping up north a bit more, so taking care of it might not be hard to do, especially with dave volunteering to help out with it... ;) I would like somethin closer, the whole reason for me startin the thread was to find places (private or public access) to place some night caches that wouldn't disturb anyone.

dí76
09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I dunno, my new job is keeping up north a bit more, so taking care of it might not be hard to do, especially with dave volunteering to help out with it... ;) I would like somethin closer, the whole reason for me startin the thread was to find places (private or public access) to place some night caches that wouldn't disturb anyone.

I would gladly maintian the cache for you. We could just get it set up togeather then your all set.:)

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 08:54 PM
So there's one spot for a night cache, anyone else have any good ideas?

vicbiker
09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Funny Number Seven was just asking me about doing a night cache today.I told him that up here it would be a lot of work with out much use.To get a lot of use they need to be in a city some where.Maybe I can do a special one for a snow shoeing event some night this winter.

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Funny Number Seven was just asking me about doing a night cache today.I told him that up here it would be a lot of work with out much use.To get a lot of use they need to be in a city some where.Maybe I can do a special one for a snow shoeing event some night this winter.

a winter night cache... that would be cool

attroll
09-04-2006, 09:28 PM
A winter snow shoeing night cache and a fire pit where we can sit around and drink hot chocolate when done. Now that sounds like fun.

Hiram357
09-04-2006, 09:31 PM
All in favor of Vic holding his first event cache say "AYE"

Pooh and friends
09-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Aye
I love caching at night, and the snow makes everything so much brighter.

vicbiker
09-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Rick,you'll have to hold Hirams hand if he gets scared in the dark....:D I'll be to busy drinking coffee at the camp fire.

Hiram357
09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Rick,you'll have to hold Hirams hand if he gets scared in the dark....:D I'll be to busy drinking coffee at the camp fire.

Geeze Vic, I'm not that much of a sissy! It's not the dark I'm afraid of.... it's the scary monsters and boogey man that lurks in the shadows that scare me.... :o :rolleyes: :p

firefighterjake
09-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Geeze Vic, I'm not that much of a sissy! It's not the dark I'm afraid of.... it's the scary monsters and boogey man that lurks in the shadows that scare me.... :o :rolleyes: :p

And don't forget about the "devil dog!" :D

firefighterjake
09-05-2006, 08:15 AM
A winter snow shoeing night cache and a fire pit where we can sit around and drink hot chocolate when done. Now that sounds like fun.

Just hot chocolate?:D ;)

Hiram357
09-05-2006, 08:18 AM
And don't forget about the "devil dog!" :D

Jake... The devil dog is dead, nothing more to worry about.... except *gulp* the ghost of devil dog!!! AHHHH!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just hot chocolate?:D ;)

hasn't anyone ever told you to not just a book by it's cover??? It's what's in the hot chocolate that counts!!!...... MARSHMALLOWS!!! :rolleyes: :D

Macmo
09-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't know what there is for other caches around the University. But the trails are in use all time night and day by students, faculty, staff and everyone else out biking, running, skiing or just commuting back and forth to Old Town etc.

Back in the day, we did a fair amount of nighttime camping and other outdoor rec/ed activities out there with Maine Bound.

The University Police might happen upon you but there would be no hassle. Check with N1WTQ, he works at UMPD and is a geocacher. He would probably be psyched about it and would certainly help you out.

As an added bonus, folks could stop by the observatory and peer through the telescope for some guided viewing from the astronomy students.

I would look forward to it.

Hiram357
09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know what there is for other caches around the University. But the trails are in use all time night and day by students, faculty, staff and everyone else out biking, running, skiing or just commuting back and forth to Old Town etc.

Back in the day, we did a fair amount of nighttime camping and other outdoor rec/ed activities out there with Maine Bound.

The University Police might happen upon you but there would be no hassle. Check with N1WTQ, he works at UMPD and is a geocacher. He would probably be psyched about it and would certainly help you out.

As an added bonus, folks could stop by the observatory and peer through the telescope for some guided viewing from the astronomy students.

I would look forward to it.

not a bad idea, thanks for the info. :D

hollora
09-10-2006, 11:42 PM
becket, firefighterjake and I just did the Osgood night cache. I am perhaps a duhhh but I marvelled at those little reflective "tacks". In talking with my daughter of Francis Family she said they are quite readily available (hunters use them?).

That Osgood cache was a blast - it was just a little steep for me. But the directions very clear, save and a nice area. I think the University sounds good - the trails, or the ones I have been on, have been at fairly flat.

Just some thoughts. I love night caching.