View Full Version : Need help maintaining a cache in the West Forks/Moxie Pond area.

wyrdvans
09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Me and a group of friends go to Maine every year to do some exploring and white water rafting. We found a great place for a cache and this year we placed it. Unfortunately, we hadn't read the guidlines until we went to post the cache on the GC website. Since the closest of us lives in Boston, according to the guidelines, we are too far to maintain it. So I'm asking if anyone would like to help maintain it. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the coordinates and some info on it.

WhereRWe?
09-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Me and a group of friends go to Maine every year to do some exploring and white water rafting. We found a great place for a cache and this year we placed it. Unfortunately, we hadn't read the guidlines until we went to post the cache on the GC website. Since the closest of us lives in Boston, according to the guidelines, we are too far to maintain it. So I'm asking if anyone would like to help maintain it. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the coordinates and some info on it.

I can maintain it - I have 2 caches in the area already. Email me and we can discuss. :D :D

firefighterjake
09-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I can maintain it - I have 2 caches in the area already. Email me and we can discuss. :D :D

I was thinking of you Bruce when I read this log earlier, but didn't want to speak out of turn . . . thanks for helping these folks out and adding another cache in this beautiful area of Maine.

WhereRWe?
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I was thinking of you Bruce when I read this log earlier, but didn't want to speak out of turn . . . thanks for helping these folks out and adding another cache in this beautiful area of Maine.

Yeah - we've made contact and looks like I'll be maintaining it. Sounds like an interesting cache, too. I hope to get up there this week to check it out.

And we upgraded our "Arnol;d's Landing" cache today - FINALLY! With another thread talking about cache rescue, we figured we'd better get on it! LOL!

Haffy
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Good job Bruce, this is another example of geocachers working together towards one common goal and that is making geocaching in Maine the best.

WhereRWe?
09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Good job Bruce, this is another example of geocachers working together towards one common goal and that is making geocaching in Maine the best.

Oops! I was helping a Massachusetts cacher! :eek: :eek:

(But I have to admit, YES, I AM "FROM AWAY"! I grew up in Massachusetts!)

:p :p

Haffy
09-05-2006, 07:21 PM
What!!!!! Another Mass****hole............:eek:

parmachenee
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah - we've made contact and looks like I'll be maintaining it. Sounds like an interesting cache, too. I hope to get up there this week to check it out.

OH YUH!!! and we just spent a day up there driving all over h--- and NOW a new one??:) Maybe next time we can meet up for that beer??:D And this is just another excuse to make that fall trip. Thanks Bruce!

becket
09-05-2006, 08:53 PM

:p :pi was born there! careful! :D

Hiram357
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM

HAHAHA! The same thought went through my mind as I was reading the post! :rolleyes: :p :D

MoxieMan
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
What!!!!! Another Mass****hole............:eek:

Hey! Easy there...he's not the only one...

firefighterjake
09-06-2006, 05:22 AM

Ah, you don't have to be ashamed to admit to this fact . . . you had no choice in the matter, right and besides you realized eventually that Maine was a great place to live in the end (other than the high taxes, blackflies, messed up state government, enough social programs so that you need never work again and the summer tourists -- hey, the place can't be perfect, right?) :D :D

Besides, I figure we were all part of Massachusetts once anyways -- just one big happy family until we broke off . . . and now the way things are going (taxes, social programs, etc.) it seems as though we're determined to rejoin Massachusetts anyways.

Please note: The above statements are made by someone with dubious Maine connections . . . my father's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. have lived all their life in Maine with connections running from Fort Fairfield, ME. However, my mother's parents moved here from the Bronx when she was a teen . . . therefore under the terms of the Maine Ancestry Accord of 1987 I may not be entitled to be called a full-blooded Mainer.;) :D

vicbiker
09-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Ft. Fairfield and the Bronz???That explains a lot!! LOL

WhereRWe?
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Ah, you don't have to be ashamed to admit to this fact . . . you had no choice in the matter, right and besides you realized eventually that Maine was a great place to live in the end (other than the high taxes, blackflies, messed up state government, enough social programs so that you need never work again and the summer tourists -- hey, the place can't be perfect, right?) :D :D

Excellent point - and when we retired from the military, we had the option of retiring literally anywhere. And we CHOSE Maine! LOL!

WhereRWe?
09-06-2006, 07:51 AM
OH YUH!!! and we just spent a day up there driving all over h--- and NOW a new one??:) Maybe next time we can meet up for that beer??:D And this is just another excuse to make that fall trip. Thanks Bruce!

Looks like it's a go. Already got email from GPSFun, and agreed to maintain it. It's less than 2 miles from our "Moxie Trail Crossing" cache, and it's sorta out in the woods. It has an interesting twist to it, and I'm looking forward to see what the cache owner has done. Stay tuned! LOL! :D :D

firefighterjake
09-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Ft. Fairfield and the Bronz???That explains a lot!! LOL

Yeah, I suppose it does . . . and it probably also explains my typing accent -- kind of a blend between County-ese and Bronx-ese. :D

wyrdvans
09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Looks like it's a go. Already got email from GPSFun, and agreed to maintain it. It's less than 2 miles from our "Moxie Trail Crossing" cache, and it's sorta out in the woods. It has an interesting twist to it, and I'm looking forward to see what the cache owner has done. Stay tuned! LOL! :D :D

When you find it, let me know if you have anything to add to the description. I tried to not give too much away(I think I did a good job at that) but I still feel something is missing or it may be too vague.

WhereRWe?
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
When you find it, let me know if you have anything to add to the description. I tried to not give too much away(I think I did a good job at that) but I still feel something is missing or it may be too vague.

Tomorrow's a mess, but I think i can get up there on Friday. Do I get to claim FTF? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hiram357
09-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow's a mess, but I think i can get up there on Friday. Do I get to claim FTF? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: geeeeze... why dont'ya claim it for two FTFs just for the heck of it??? it's all about the numbers anyways.... :p :rolleyes: :D

WhereRWe?
09-06-2006, 07:11 PM
geeeeze... why dont'ya claim it for two FTFs just for the heck of it??? it's all about the numbers anyways.... :p :rolleyes: :D

Can I do that??? ;) ;)

Hiram357
09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Can I do that??? ;) ;)

I'll allow it! :p :rolleyes: :D

number seven
09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
i was there today,and frogged around till my eye's turned blue(their brown). If it's where i think it is(i'm not jumping into it).This could be deathwish3.Number Seven

wyrdvans
09-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I guess I should've marked it as swimming even though you aren't necessarily swimming to get it.

firefighterjake
09-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Before I forget . . . welcome to geocachingmaine.org wyrdvans . . . hopefully you'll stick around for a bit and meet the rest of the "gang."

wyrdvans
09-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I should be around for a while...I'm really anxious to see what people say about the geocache me and my friends placed. We were surprised that no one had placed one in the area before.

WhereRWe?
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I should be around for a while...I'm really anxious to see what people say about the geocache me and my friends placed. We were surprised that no one had placed one in the area before.

Well, I just hadn't gotten to that area yet! LOL! ;) ;)

MAD-MUFFIN
09-08-2006, 06:01 PM
i was born there! careful! :D

Well there goes the state....... I grew up in Easton, MA.

WhereRWe?
09-08-2006, 06:11 PM
i was there today,and frogged around till my eye's turned blue(their brown). If it's where i think it is(i'm not jumping into it).This could be deathwish3.Number Seven

We went up there today. And yes, it's where you thought it was. We logged a DNF! LOL! The cache owner is going to change the description to explain that. But it is a BEAUTIFUL site! :D :D