View Full Version : RE: Hold on to your knickers, but I actually have a question about paperless gc-ing

firefighterjake
09-08-2006, 08:22 AM
OK, while I'm not a total Ludite despite what I've told Becket I've never embraced the whole paperless geocaching thing . . . I figure by running off reams and reams of paper I'm nearly singlehandedly supporting the Maine paper-making industry.

However, I am considering buying a PDA and was wondering if the Palm T/X PDA would be good for paperless geocaching. I'm also thinking this might be useful for loading some MP3s to listen to while sledding/ATVing, etc.

Here's a link to one that I was looking at. Let me know if this would work and what else I would need if I decide to go the paperless route.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7478482&st=Palm+T/X&type=product&id=1128337733082

WhereRWe?
09-08-2006, 08:32 AM
However, I am considering buying a PDA and was wondering if the Palm T/X PDA would be good for paperless geocaching. I'm also thinking this might be useful for loading some MP3s to listen to while sledding/ATVing, etc.

For caching, you basically just need a cache management program on your PDA. Cachemate seems to be the favorite, and will run on any Palm OS PDA. From there you might want to get some mapping software on it. I just got Delorme's Street Atlas USA 2007, and it appears to have the Street Atlas handheld version included (whereas previously it was a separate purchase). Finding the right cable to connect your PDA to your GPSr to the power socket in your car can be tough, though.

The PDA you're looking at seems to have everything you'll need - and then some! LOL!

kayakerinme
09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I used to use this Palm model before I got my Treo; it was my favorite among all the Palm models I've had over the years. It will work very well for paperless caching as it has far more memory for Cachemate and its database than you'll need (assuming you want to use Cachemate).

As for MP3's, the standard memory is pretty limited, probably to less than 1 album or so depending on what you load for programs. If you really want to listen to music with this, you'll want to buy another memory card; the 1GB cards are about $55, a 2GB is about $99.

Sudonim
09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I picked up a TX a couple of weeks ago, and loaded up cachemate. Gave it a test run up in the county last weekend and I'm not sure how I got along all those years with reams of paper!!! Highly recommend that Palm. (plus, you can sit in the parking lot at V.I.P. and check on the new caches wirelessly)

pjpreb
09-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Jake - check out the Dell Axim before you buy. My sister is in IT and says the reliability/waranty is better on the Axim.

Hiram357
09-08-2006, 04:08 PM
OK, while I'm not a total Ludite despite what I've told Becket I've never embraced the whole paperless geocaching thing . . . I figure by running off reams and reams of paper I'm nearly singlehandedly supporting the Maine paper-making industry.

Here's a link to one that I was looking at. Let me know if this would work and what else I would need if I decide to go the paperless route.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7478482&st=Palm+T/X&type=product&id=1128337733082

Muuuuwhahaahahahaha!!!! YEeessssss JAKE! WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!!!! HAHAHAHA **cough** HAHAHAHA!!!! :cool:

Sudonim
09-08-2006, 04:24 PM
You can also get it for 10 bucks less at Staples. $299

Haffy
09-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't jump into getting the first one either. There are some good buys out there including this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-TX-T-X-T-X-Handheld-PDA-NEW-with-All-Accessories_W0QQitemZ160028702629QQihZ006QQcategor yZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item160028702629

becket
09-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Muuuuwhahaahahahaha!!!! YEeessssss JAKE! WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!!!! HAHAHAHA **cough** HAHAHAHA!!!! :cool:hey, jake, the dark side is calling - louder and louder and louder! come on over!

Cache Maine
09-09-2006, 06:17 AM
I picked up a TX a couple of weeks ago, and loaded up cachemate. Gave it a test run up in the county last weekend and I'm not sure how I got along all those years with reams of paper!!! Highly recommend that Palm. (plus, you can sit in the parking lot at V.I.P. and check on the new caches wirelessly)

I see we have a closet conversion to paperless. Congrats! :)

d’76
09-09-2006, 07:16 AM
next it will be a garmin:p

firefighterjake
09-09-2006, 09:44 AM
next it will be a garmin:p

Well I'll never say never . . . but I really do like my Magellans although I will admit that I find myself using the Explorist a lot more now than my old Meridian.

ribnag
09-09-2006, 10:36 AM
firefighterjake : However, I am considering buying a PDA and was wondering if the Palm T/X PDA would be good for paperless geocaching.

Yes, but MASSIVE overkill.

I currently use a Palm M505, which you can get for under $60 nowadays. I would even consider it overkill, but (someone feel free to correct me) I don't think you can get anything lower-end that takes enough extra storage space (SD card) to really hold more than a handfull of cache info.

I'm also thinking this might be useful for loading some MP3s to listen to while sledding/ATVing, etc.

Good idea, but in my experience (as a geek), everything-in-one devices tend to do none of their functions really well. Save the hassle and get a dedicated MP3 player instead. You can get a 2GB player for $60-$80, which combined with an older Palm would still set you back only half of the T/X alone.

Not to say that a good PDA doesn't have its uses - But if you don't already have at least a few other applications in mind beyond offline cache browsing (and e-book reading in general), basic electronic note-pad, address book, and other low-CPU and low-memory requiring tasks, save your cash.

[edited for pronoun clarity]

Sudonim
09-09-2006, 10:38 PM
The reason I got the TX was:
Big screen
Bluetooth, wireless synching
Wi-Fi, pull up to any V.I.P., Borders, etc to update cache info.
and, yeah, it does cool stuff too :)

WhereRWe?
09-10-2006, 06:46 AM
The reason I got the TX was:
Big screen
Bluetooth, wireless synching
Wi-Fi, pull up to any V.I.P., Borders, etc to update cache info.
and, yeah, it does cool stuff too :)

If you're operating on a "shoestring", you can get any Palm model to run Cachemate. But if you've got the money, GO FOR IT! Those little "extras" that Sudonim cites are really cool. :D :D

Cache'n Jacksons
09-10-2006, 07:58 AM
I agree with ribnag & WhereRWe?: It will definately do what you want, but you could get by just fine with something much less. My PalmIII will hold 500 caches in CacheMate with room left over for a couple other apps (like TideTool). But the newer Palms with USB will sync a lot faster than mine, and I bet the wireless networking would be great to have if you can find a local hotspot! Let us know what you get and how you like it!

d’76
09-10-2006, 08:27 AM
The other thing to consider is well..... You have called yourself a klutz before. It would really be a bummer to take a spill and watch it bust into a bunch of pieces (I think Bruce dropped one and Haffy also now that I think of it). The other thing is how many times have you been caching and been caught in a surprise rain shower. I went with the tungsten e2 and that is plenty and not so unbearibly expensive that if something happened to it I wouldnt feel so bad. I have about 1400 caches loaded in it right now and many many pictures that I like to keep around for folks to see and other vairious programs. I put another card in it to give me room for the pics.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the Tx have a hard drive and an operating system installed. My understanding was every time you booted it up you had to wait for it to load just like starting up a computer. I like te palm cause you turn it on and it is there no waiting.

Sudonim
09-10-2006, 09:28 AM
No waiting on the TX either, hit the button and it's on.

Katadin Goddess
10-14-2006, 06:25 PM
i just got a palm lifedrive, what is the best geocache paperless software to use? interested in your opinions before i start downloading. thanks Elaine

WhereRWe?
10-14-2006, 07:25 PM
i just got a palm lifedrive, what is the best geocache paperless software to use? interested in your opinions before i start downloading. thanks Elaine

Sheesh! Haven't you been paying attention? LOL!

CACHEMATE!!! :D :D

Haffy
10-15-2006, 09:20 AM

Ditto, what the previous poster said,Cachemate for the Palm and also you might want to check out GSAK as well for any of your cache management needs. You might want to get in touch with Gobler as he is using both and could really help you get started on the right foot. I know he is helping Kacky to use it as her favorite E-book application, Mobipocket, is going to be discontinued soon. Welcome to the paperless club and if there is anything we can do to help just let us know.

Check out the links section as well and there might be some good tutorials there explaining both of their uses too. :)

Hiker Twins
10-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I just tried paperless caching yesterday (my printer was out of ink!) with my Palm Tungsten E2, Cachemate and GSAK. Everything downloaded and worked really well together. Just not sure I am sold on it...I think I would rather loose a piece of paper then my palm pilot!

WhereRWe?
10-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I just tried paperless caching yesterday (my printer was out of ink!) with my Palm Tungsten E2, Cachemate and GSAK. Everything downloaded and worked really well together. Just not sure I am sold on it...I think I would rather loose a piece of paper then my palm pilot!

The best part about paperless caching is that you dont have to plan ahead - print out cache listings - to go caching. If you carry your GPSr and PDA with you all the time, you're always ready to grab a cache if you find your self near one you haven't already logged. :D :D :D

Hiker Twins
10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
The best part about paperless caching is that you dont have to plan ahead - print out cache listings - to go caching. If you carry your GPSr and PDA with you all the time, you're always ready to grab a cache if you find your self near one you haven't already logged. :D :D :D

Hey, you are right! I never thought about having caches downloaded and ready to go for where ever I happen to be :) I will have to download a bunch to my PDA and gpsr for when I am traveling! Thanks for the tip!

Haffy
10-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Just one thing to remember though and that is to make sure you have the latest Pocket Query so you don't make the mistake and go looking for a cache that was archived or disabled the week or two before. I know because I speak from experience,and I'm sure others can relate to that as well......:D

hollora
10-15-2006, 08:52 PM
A-Men! Agreed. But I am getting hooked........thanks to my techno friends becket and cameoooooo

Cache Maine
10-15-2006, 10:10 PM
A-Men! Agreed. But I am getting hooked........thanks to my techno friends becket and cameoooooo

All our toys didn't help us find the "map (PAPER) house" we were looking for today though....have you looked yet? Can you believe that we were that close? That ol' antique in the PAPER store was right on...she said it had been a few years but she knew what we wanted and she drew the perfect map ON PAPER!

:eek: Call me crazy but I detect a pattern here!

:):D:p

becket
10-16-2006, 05:15 AM
All our toys didn't help us find the "map (PAPER) house" we were looking for today though :):D:p
we would have found it if it had coords!

Cache Maine
10-16-2006, 07:40 AM
we would have found it if it had coords!

I agree on that! one pace, two paces....what in the world are they thinking?

hollora
10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Ladies - Ladies - Looooook - HancockSouthwest Harborunknown44.305ºN68.279ºW

There you go becket! But I think its a tad more that just 2 paces cameoooooo!

Next visit to MDI?

Cache Maine
10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay, Okay, now be good Hollora....we don't want to give anything away to the next treasure seeker!!

hollora
10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Sorrry - my doggie ears are hanging low and I dropped my teddy.......if I learn better can, I go with you again? Remember, boxers are hard learners .......... sniff, sniff.

Cache Maine
10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Sorrry - my doggie ears are hanging low and I dropped my teddy.......if I learn better can, I go with you again? Remember, boxers are hard learners .......... sniff, sniff.

Awwww....here....here's a cookie....it's a little stale, one of the left overs from the marathon....

:D :p :)

PS....Boxers.....I got it....it took a minute, but I got it! LOL

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I just bought an HP ipaq that was pretty cool compared to the palm they had at staples because I wanted to run my microsoft office on it as well, and palm is doing away with that. Is there a better way to go paperless with my HP than saving each cache in word or acrobat reader and downloading. Is there a way to do more than one at a time???
Thanks

Hiram357
03-16-2007, 01:10 PM
I just bought an HP ipaq that was pretty cool compared to the palm they had at staples because I wanted to run my microsoft office on it as well, and palm is doing away with that. Is there a better way to go paperless with my HP than saving each cache in word or acrobat reader and downloading. Is there a way to do more than one at a time???
Thanks

I wasn't aware Palm was doing away with office :confused: I just bought the TX a few days ago, and I use all my excel spreadsheets and word documents on it. It came with all the software loaded on it. I downloaded cachemate to it as well (which seems like a fun program, I've been playing with it but have yet to use it in the field) The only other options for paperless would be to use a laptop (I've used a laptop the last 2 years) or practice your photographic memory skills. :D

brdad
03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Cachemate has a version for Pocket PCs (http://www.smittyware.com/)

Hiram357
03-16-2007, 04:11 PM
whats the difference between a palm and a pocket PC?

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-16-2007, 04:15 PM
whats the difference between a palm and a pocket PC?

Ooohhh the directions this could go!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

brdad
03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
They are similar, but Palm has their own operating system, Palm OS. Pocket PCs use a Microsoft operating system, an upgrade from Windows CE. I don't beleive anyone but Palm has products with the Palm OS, but the Pocket PC OS can be found on different manufacturer's products, just like the real Windows.

Mainiac1957
03-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Ford-Chevy , Coke-Pepsi , Budweiser-Any other beer or ale on the planet etc etc etc...........

Hiram357
03-16-2007, 05:17 PM
They are similar, but Palm has their own operating system, Palm OS. Pocket PCs use a Microsoft operating system, an upgrade from Windows CE. I don't beleive anyone but Palm has products with the Palm OS, but the Pocket PC OS can be found on different manufacturer's products, just like the real Windows.

but I have just about everything that I use on my PC on my palm (like word, excel, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Cachemate, ect...) so is there extreme benifit to having one over the other?

brdad
03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't think so. The PPC is more campatible with Windows based PCs, since it is Windows after all. And PPCs can multitask, a feature that has just come to the Palms (That's why you can listen to MP3s and still play a game on the TX). Palms are tried and true and generally dependable from what I have heard.

Basically, Brad said it all - Mac Vs PC, Cruella vs. *insert name of ex wife here*, Coke vs Pepsi... Well, wait. we know Moxie wins that hands down. :p

pjpreb
03-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Ford-Chevy , Coke-Pepsi , Budweiser-Any other beer or ale on the planet etc etc etc...........

Ford.....Definately Ford :D :D ;)

Beach Comber
03-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks

I use GPX Sonar - you can find a link on the GC.com website. I knew that Cachemate came out with a PPC program but haven't made the switch.

Beach Comber
03-16-2007, 08:19 PM
but I have just about everything that I use on my PC on my palm (like word, excel, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Cachemate, ect...) so is there extreme benifit to having one over the other?

As presented, there is a platform difference between the two. But the biggest difference that I have seen related to geocaching is that there are far fewer PPC users than Palm so your pool of resources is far more limited. I have an iPAQ and though I have figured it out, I would definitely buy a Palm - probably a Zire model - if I bought one now.

A lot of the discussion/instruction that has been presented on this website has been specific for the Palm platform and is not applicable on the PPC.

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-17-2007, 12:01 AM
hehehe thank you, I'll check into the cachemate to see more what it does. I was told by the associate at stapples that the current palms have office on them, but the new ones won't and they will be continuing the support and upgrades for them, but the hp has it and will still have it and upgrades when available.

Foxgloves
03-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Not knowing that Cachemate had a PPC version out, for the heck of it I went and downloaded it to my PPC (yes Windows platform) just to see what all the hoo-rah was about.

I seem to have loaded it properly on my PPC and it shows up in my program listings but when I open it up it has no pocket query database loaded into it? Do I have to pay for it and register it before it will work? I wasn’t planning on buying it yet…

I have always used GPXSonar and my Pocket queries files automatically get uploaded in GPX Sonar when I turn it on.

How do I upload the caches page pocket queries into this CacheMate program?
Do I have to specify CacheMate as the default cache page reader? I can’t find anything anywhere to help me.

I’d like to be able to go back and forth between applications to compare the two to see if I prefer one over the other.

Can anyone who has a (windows platform) PPC and uses both GPXSonar and Cachemate offer me any suggestions?
Its probably something very simple that I am overlooking.

Hiram357
03-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Not knowing that Cachemate had a PPC version out, for the heck of it I went and downloaded it to my PPC (yes Windows platform) just to see what all the hoo-rah was about.

I seem to have loaded it properly on my PPC and it shows up in my program listings but when I open it up it has no pocket query database loaded into it? Do I have to pay for it and register it before it will work? I wasn’t planning on buying it yet…

I have always used GPXSonar and my Pocket queries files automatically get uploaded in GPX Sonar when I turn it on.

How do I upload the caches page pocket queries into this CacheMate program?
Do I have to specify CacheMate as the default cache page reader? I can’t find anything anywhere to help me.

I’d like to be able to go back and forth between applications to compare the two to see if I prefer one over the other.

Can anyone who has a (windows platform) PPC and uses both GPXSonar and Cachemate offer me any suggestions?
Its probably something very simple that I am overlooking.

I use GSAK to manage all my caches, and you can create a file using GSAK to download to your unit for cachemate. www.gsak.net

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I can't afford to buy a palm, so i'll have to use my ipaq which i actually love so if I just have to download and make an acrobat reader file with no clues or word page with clues, then that's ok, but i am curious about the different programs. I guess I'm looking for something that will download everything at once along with whether I found it or not. Hopin for a lot i guess.

Foxgloves
03-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I use GSAK to manage all my caches, and you can create a file using GSAK to download to your unit for cachemate. www.gsak.net (http://www.gsak.net)

Yes and so do I. But I already have the pocket queries saved as .gpx files in my synchronization folder. That’s what GPXSonar automatically opens when I turn it on. I should be able to open Cachemate and upload these files….that are already in my synchronization folder.

According to GSAK (http://gsak.net/help/hs9200.htm) Cachemate (PPC version) should be able to read this type file (.gpx) All my pocket queries are gpx files.

They just don’t seem to show up in my Cachemate application when I turn it on…that’s where the problem is…

Maybe I can’t have both GPXSonar and Cachemate programs loaded on my PPC and it automatically defaults to GPXSonar? I don’t get it…

brdad
03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm sure it works slightly differently with PPC trhan it does Palm. You should just have to get the GPX files somewhere cachemate can find them. Is there any doc files in the cachemate directory on your PC?

Hiram357
03-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes and so do I. But I already have the pocket queries saved as .gpx files in my synchronization folder. That’s what GPXSonar automatically opens when I turn it on. I should be able to open Cachemate and upload these files….that are already in my synchronization folder.

According to GSAK (http://gsak.net/help/hs9200.htm) Cachemate (PPC version) should be able to read this type file (.gpx) All my pocket queries are gpx files.

They just don’t seem to show up in my Cachemate application when I turn it on…that’s where the problem is…

Maybe I can’t have both GPXSonar and Cachemate programs loaded on my PPC and it automatically defaults to GPXSonar? I don’t get it…

Did you make an export file? I don think cachemate will read teh GPX, Try going to "file" "export" and then "cachemate" and that will create a file that you will download to your unit, and then it should show up in cachemate.

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I can't even open up the .exe file to even try out cachemate. It gives me an error saying that it's not a win32 file.

Foxgloves
03-17-2007, 04:29 PM
I can't even open up the .exe file to even try out cache
mate. It gives me an error saying that it's not a win32 file.

Are you trying to open the application on your Computer? This software is is intended to be loaded on your Palm or your PPC and will not work on your computer..

Foxgloves
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I think I figured out my problem...Cachemate does work a little differently than GPXSonar. With GPX Sonar it automatically brings in all gpx files when I open the application.

With Cachemate, you actaully have to go to the little icon at the bottom of the screen (red arrow w/ 3 pages)and click "start" at the bottom of the screen. It imports all your gpx files that are in your synch folder. Unfortunately because I downloaded a trial version of this software it gives me the message that only 10 files can be loaded w/ the trial version.
What good is that ???:rolleyes:

So for $8.00 (pretty cheap) I just registered my trial version and am waiting to get my code to activate the full paid version. It looks like it does a lot more than GPXSonar so the $8.00 is worth it.

Haffy
03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
You won't be disappointed!!!

Rydnfree
03-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I just started using it on my Zire and it works great,I was using mobipocket but I think I'll get rid of it

WhereRWe?
03-17-2007, 05:58 PM
I've used Cachemate for a couple of years. I guess it's probably the best cache management program for PDAs. For what you pay for it, it's DEFINITELY worth the price. :D :D

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-17-2007, 10:35 PM
ok so how do I load it onto my pda. I usually install on my pc, and then it loads into my pda. thanks for your help

Hiram357
03-17-2007, 11:20 PM
ok so how do I load it onto my pda. I usually install on my pc, and then it loads into my pda. thanks for your help

My palm came with a program call HotSync that allows you to transfer files from PC to Palm and Palm to PC, did your unit come with any software like that? If yes, then go to the cache mate site ( i think it was mentioned on this thread earlier) and download the PDA version, and just copy the files to your PDA.

Mainiac1957
03-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Cachemate also comes with a small program called cmconvert. This gets installed along with cachemate on your PC. Cachemate doesn't have a desktop program to use on the PC, only on the PDA. What cmconvert does is convert gpx files to a format that cachemate can use. If you are using GSAK to load into your palm then this is all done seamlessly, and may never notice. If you get PQ's sent to GSAK they are .gpx files. They can be used as is for a variety of programs. Just not cachemate, hence the need to convert. Clear as mud right.:rolleyes: I have been using Cachemate for 4 years now and have had almost no problems what so ever. I know there are other options out there, but for 8 dollars it's hard to beat. Hope this help clarify a few questions.

Hiram357
03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Cachemate also comes with a small program called cmconvert. This gets installed along with cachemate on your PC. Cachemate doesn't have a desktop program to use on the PC, only on the PDA. What cmconvert does is convert gpx files to a format that cachemate can use. If you are using GSAK to load into your palm then this is all done seamlessly, and may never notice. If you get PQ's sent to GSAK they are .gpx files. They can be used as is for a variety of programs. Just not cachemate, hence the need to convert. Clear as mud right.:rolleyes: I have been using Cachemate for 4 years now and have had almost no problems what so ever. I know there are other options out there, but for 8 dollars it's hard to beat. Hope this help clarify a few questions.

I think youre mud is a bit clearer than mine ;) Where does one find the cmconvert??? I've just been using GSAK to convert. Is it any easier to use the cmconvert as opposed to the GSAK?

brdad
03-18-2007, 09:19 AM
That's why I don't always get why you need to use GSAK all the time. Inside the cachemate folder is cmconvert, which will convert a GPX file to pdb. I just get a PQ of all my unfound Maine caches, and use cmconvert to convert it.

I made a shortcut for cmconvert in my geocaching toolbar and it's there to use easily...

I'm not saying GSAK isn't useful, but you don't need to use it to get GPX files into cachemate. I would not be surprised if GSAK just calls the cmconvert program to make the Palm files anyway - it seems it would be the most trouble free way to do so.

Hiram357
03-18-2007, 09:26 AM
That's why I don't always get why you need to use GSAK all the time. Inside the cachemate folder is cmconvert, which will convert a GPX file to pdb. I just get a PQ of all my unfound Maine caches, and use cmconvert to convert it.

I made a shortcut for cmconvert in my geocaching toolbar and it's there to use easily...

I'm not saying GSAK isn't useful, but you don't need to use it to get GPX files into cachemate. I would not be surprised if GSAK just calls the cmconvert program to make the Palm files anyway - it seems it would be the most trouble free way to do so.

But is cmconvert on the handheld or the pc? i can't find it in either place...

Hiram357
03-18-2007, 09:27 AM
nevermind... they hid it in this clever hiding spot! it was in an obscurely labled folder called... "File Convert" :o

Mainiac1957
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
never mind... they hid it in this clever hiding spot! it was in an obscurely labeled folder called... "File Convert" :o

GSAK uses a thing called "under the hood" to change from .gpx to .pdb It may be cmconvert or their own program. GSAK is handy because it will send gpx files to just about anything. And with all the powerful filters you can make it do all kinds of tricks.

Dave I'm just hanging around today if you'd like a demonstration. I can bring my laptop by and show you. You have my cell number, right?

brdad
03-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't need a demonstration, but think we're just hanging around as well if you want to stop by. We never have gotten together for Hand and Foot... I don't know if Lee still has your number or not. But I you have ours, and I'm in chat as usual.

I use Watcher to do a lot of the stuff you do with GSAK. It's not as powerfull, and a little outdated as the programmer has more important issues that's keeping him from updating it. But, it still works. Most of the time I use it for filtering by distance, or merging multiple GPX files. I know GSAK can do that as well, it uses gpsbabel which is a very powerfull program in the background to do a good chunk of it's work. The problem with GPS babel is it only works great in command line - GSAK helps there.

firefighterjake
03-19-2007, 09:32 AM

Garmin-Magellan?;) :D

Foxgloves
03-19-2007, 09:52 AM
You won't be disappointed!!!
One thing I am finding so far is that Cachemate takes ALOT longer to load the caches into my window. GPXSonar is M U C H faster .

I haven't had time to play around w/ it too much.
I saw one setting in preferences that I do not know what it is for maybe someone can explain it to me.

In Options>Preferences>Plugins>NMEA

What is NMEA? and when I click on configure it asks for
NMEA location query

Port?
Baud?

I suspect its for connecting online? Is it? I don't plan on using my PPC to connect online when its not connected to my computer so I probably don't need to concern myself with it.

I'm noticing that the majority of you Maine-iacs use Palms. Everybody else on my side of the world uses PPC's.

Hmmm....interesting...http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/EMSDudette/U_THIN17.gif

Beach Comber
03-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm noticing that the majority of you Maine-iacs use Palms. Everybody else on my side of the world uses PPC's.
Hmmm....interesting...http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/EMSDudette/U_THIN17.gif

Must have been my Vermont roots that led me to the PPC! LOL

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-19-2007, 06:31 PM
i wish I could meet one of you to show me how to use cachemate. I'm much better when shown the easy way to do things. I always find the hard way hehehehe

brdad
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Well if you don't mind the drive to Bangor....
Must be someone a a little closer....

Haffy
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
So do you have Cachemate installed?

Hiram357
03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
wheres pownal?

Beach Comber
03-19-2007, 09:05 PM
It's close to Mainachusetts - in the Freeport area.

Hiram357
03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
It's close to Mainachusetts - in the Freeport area.

You mean people live south of Augusta??? :confused:

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 01:28 PM
you guys are funny hehehe
about 2 hrs from Bangor
I have it all installed now
Now what? hehehe

Haffy
03-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Now just do a pocket query with whatever caches you want and then just drag the PQ into Cachemate or if you use GSAK go to file > export and then cachemate PDB file and you should be all set. When you do your hotsync it will show up in Cachemate. For some tutorials go here: http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/tutorials.php

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
ok I'm on my pda, and can't figure out how to get the file into cachemate. You said drage, but how do I do that

Haffy
03-20-2007, 06:05 PM
If you have Cachemate on your desktop and your zipped PQ on your desktop as well, just drag the PQ into Cachemate and when you do the sync it should transfer all the info to Cachemate on your PDA. Like I said in my earlier post check out some of the tutorials and they should get you going in the right direction.

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
how do I get cachemate on my desktop?
I could only run the file I downloaded within my pda

Haffy
03-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Where do you have Cachemate if not on your desktop? If you are running GSAK then you can do the same with that. Drag the PQ to GSAK and then do the file > export> cachemate pdb. I understand your dilema as I too find it hard to understand. I'm more of a hands on and seeing it in person as well.

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I don't have cachemate on my desktop
the dowload would only run within my pda

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 06:19 PM
it's only on my pda

Haffy
03-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can. Everyone in here uses it so they might be able to better explain it than me,sorry.

brdad
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
It would be better off in person, or at least in chat. Can you make it in there?

You've got me confused, too, haffy! :D

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
it's ok, I'm so much better in person or step by step.
where is chat and when is it

Haffy
03-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Ok Angel glad to be of some assistance thanks to Brdad again too. Now we have another paperless cacher in our midst.....

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
heheh thanks
this is sooo fun
I just love technology

Starzz
03-20-2007, 07:42 PM
I do believe CacheMate is for your PDA only . . .

brdad
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I do believe CacheMate is for your PDA only . . .

Shh ... don't tell AnglzOfMyHrt - she thinks it's really working on her PPC... :)

There is a version now for PPC

Haffy
03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
We found out why Angel was having a hard time with Cachemate. She not only uses a PPC instead of a Palm but she uses a Magellan as well......:eek:

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-21-2007, 07:12 PM
heheheh sure pick on me lmao, but we'll see what's what when I scream out the record of the most caches found in one day lol. That is my goal. Besides I'm cheap, and these gave me the most of just what I wanted with little funds.

firefighterjake
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
heheheh sure pick on me lmao, but we'll see what's what when I scream out the record of the most caches found in one day lol. That is my goal. Besides I'm cheap, and these gave me the most of just what I wanted with little funds.

Awww . . . don't listen to those Magellan-haters AOMH . . . I have two Magellans and I would not hesitate to recommend them to others as they seem to offer a little more "bang for the buck" compared to other GPSrs -- but that's just my own opinion.

AnglzOfMyHrt
03-22-2007, 09:54 AM
heheheh no problem and I agree. I really like mine, and I do the research before I buy technology cause there is so much out there. So far so good.

firefighterjake
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
heheheh no problem and I agree. I really like mine, and I do the research before I buy technology cause there is so much out there. So far so good.

The same here . . . I research everything . . . sometimes months in advance of making a purchase.

Macmo
07-25-2007, 06:56 AM
So after 10 pages of threads, what did you eventually buy?

I now have both, a Palm TX running the Palm version of Cachemate and a Palm Treo running Windows Mobile version of Cachemate, subsequently I picked up a Blue Tooth GPS at Delorme (BT-20??).

My favorite for just running the program is the Palm, however getting the chance to pickup those last minute caches or looking up Geocoins/TB at the cachesite via the wireless data on the Treo is really cool.

Expensive solution if you don't have another use for it (work?? what is that?).

firefighterjake
07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
So after 10 pages of threads, what did you eventually buy?

I now have both, a Palm TX running the Palm version of Cachemate and a Palm Treo running Windows Mobile version of Cachemate, subsequently I picked up a Blue Tooth GPS at Delorme (BT-20??).

My favorite for just running the program is the Palm, however getting the chance to pickup those last minute caches or looking up Geocoins/TB at the cachesite via the wireless data on the Treo is really cool.

Expensive solution if you don't have another use for it (work?? what is that?).

If this was directed to me . . . a Palm TX . . . and I use it every single day for work, geocaching, etc. and I love it . . . despite some occasional issues with it.

robt
07-31-2007, 07:32 AM
We found out why Angel was having a hard time with Cachemate. She not only uses a PPC instead of a Palm but she uses a Magellan as well......:eek:

Haffy, I have Cachemate running on a ppc and it has more features then on a palm and works great!!!!! one on the things I really love is reccording my logs in speach instead of writing. Alot quicker and can ge fun when you are with a group and write a funny log even though they look at you strangly at first cuse you are talking to yourself.

As for the magellan rant, I have used both and both worked well for me. :D

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Haffy, I have Cachemate running on a ppc and it has more features then on a palm and works great!!!!! one on the things I really love is reccording my logs in speach instead of writing. Alot quicker and can ge fun when you are with a group and write a funny log even though they look at you strangly at first cuse you are talking to yourself.

As for the magellan rant, I have used both and both worked well for me. :D

Yeah, that would be me . . . I thought the heat had got to Rob when he was on top of Almanac Mountain talking to his PPC as if it was a Star Trek communicator . . . "Note to self. I have found the cache and I am ready to beam up. There is no intelligent life here." :D

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Hiram had a Palm T/X didn't he . . . but if I recall correctly he went back to using his laptop . . . something about it floating better when dropped into rivers.:D