View Full Version : Opening windows

attroll
09-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I received my new computer a couple of days ago and I am stuck trying to find out how to do something that my older computer did.

I have different icons on my desktop for different web sites I visit and when I click on them they open.

When I minimize one that is open and click on one of the other web site icons to open it, it opens in the same window. I want it so that when I click on a web site icon on my desktop each one will open in a new window. My old computer does that but my new one does not.

Can anyone help me?

kayakerinme
09-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Assuming this is IE... in the Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced tab, in the Browsing section (listed alphabetically), there is an option for "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts". Based on the behavior you describe, this is currently checked. If so, uncheck it and I believe this will give you the behavior of opening a new window with each shortcut rather than only using one window.

Have fun!

attroll
09-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Assuming this is IE... in the Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced tab, in the Browsing section (listed alphabetically), there is an option for "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts". Based on the behavior you describe, this is currently checked. If so, uncheck it and I believe this will give you the behavior of opening a new window with each shortcut rather than only using one window.

Have fun!
That was it Barry. Thank you very much.

brdad
09-10-2006, 05:55 AM
For anyone that uses Firefox, there's a similar option that lets you open any new links in a new tab. I wonder when IE will go to tabs?

WhereRWe?
09-10-2006, 06:44 AM
For anyone that uses Firefox, there's a similar option that lets you open any new links in a new tab. I wonder when IE will go to tabs?

Internet Explorer 7 will do that. I've been using IE7 (Beta) off and on, and it seems to be pretty good. :D :D

RanMan22
09-10-2006, 07:18 AM

Speaking of Firefox....My favorite Firefox tip is: Use the scroll-wheel click (or middle button click) to automatically open in a new tab. You can also scroll-wheel click to close a tab quickly.

-RanMan22

brdad
09-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Speaking of Firefox....My favorite Firefox tip is: Use the scroll-wheel click (or middle button click) to automatically open in a new tab. You can also scroll-wheel click to close a tab quickly.

-RanMan22

Thanks for that tip. Lee says you are such a geek! That is way cool.

Cache'n Jacksons
09-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Excellent tip, RanMan22! That just made FireFox even better! :)

Mainelyroses
09-10-2006, 07:57 AM

Have fun!

How VERY cool! I've had this same problem for a very long time. It USED to work that way but suddenly stopped. I don't know whether it was when I upgraded to Windows XP or when I upgraded IE, but it has been VERY irritating. I did what you said and the problem has been solved. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!:)

Hiram357
09-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I do it the oldschool way, I right click on the link and then click on "open in new window" I know it's a lot more work, but I enjoy the exercise and thought provoking challenge that it gives me on a day to day basis.

Team2hunt
09-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I do it the oldschool way, I right click on the link and then click on "open in new window" I know it's a lot more work, but I enjoy the exercise and thought provoking challenge that it gives me on a day to day basis.

In other words........ you didn't know either.:p :D :) ;) :rolleyes: :eek: LOL
You can get me back, up in the county. If, you can come thru the " Good Green Door ".