View Full Version : Geo-x Extreme Geocaching

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Extreme Geocaching!! This has been a memorable summer for the Team, and it is now time to tell you of a recent geocaching trip, or " GEO-X TOUR 06 " as it has come to be named. I just returned from 5 days, 4 states, ( ME,NH,VT,and NY ) 54 caches, only 3 P/G's, most were short hikes, and nearly 1000 miles. This hardly seems extreme, when compared to what Sudonim, and Gobler went thru to log the DeLorme Challenge. But still I belive it qualifies as Extreme Geocaching. As of the 15th we have logged 96 caches, and with a trip to the county, next weekend we hope to come close to 150 for the month of September. Are you an Extreme Geocacher? Tell us your GEO-X story!! This thread is for Extreme stories ONLY! If your story is NOT GEO-X, please find another appropriate thread to post to. Thank you.

WhereRWe?
09-16-2006, 09:15 AM
In June, RULOST2? and I cached in 11 states in 10 days. It that "extreme"? :D :D

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 10:28 AM
In June, RULOST2? and I cached in 11 states in 10 days. It that "extreme"? :D :D

Yes that would be GEO-X Extreme Geocaching.

Cache Maine
09-16-2006, 12:05 PM
And then this one time, at band camp...:)

Hiram357
09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
And then this one time, at band camp...:)
OFF TOPIC!!!! :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

what about jumping into a wicked cold river to chase after a GPSr?

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 01:18 PM
OFF TOPIC!!!! :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

what about jumping into a wicked cold river to chase after a GPSr?

Thanks Hiram,

But you escapades only qualify you as __________. I was not there so I should not judge. That's why it is blank. But your adventure, does NOT qualify to be GEO-X.

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Extreme Geocaching, or GEO-X

If you have travelled and the main activity on your trip was caching. Your finds were only out numbered by the miles. And included numerous states, and or countries.

If you have cached from sunrise to sunset, (or longer) and found more than 15-20 caches. Park and grabs NEVER count towards GEO-X. The caches need to ones, that have to hiked to, NOT parked next to.

If you look for caches and spend the entire day doing difficulty 4.0 or greater finds, that would be GEO-X.

I am hoping to excite the caching community, about Extreme Geocaching, or GEO-X. You can find examples on the internet. I hope to bring it back here to Maine. Maybe even have a GEO-X EVENT, or a GEO-X TOUR.

Let me know if you are interested in and ready for GEO-X

Hiram357
09-16-2006, 01:51 PM

If you have travelled and the main activity on your trip was caching. Your finds were only out numbered by the miles. And included numerous states, and or countries.

If you have cached from sunrise to sunset, (or longer) and found more than 15-20 caches. Park and grabs NEVER count towards GEO-X. The caches need to ones, that have to hiked to, NOT parked next to.

If you look for caches and spend the entire day doing difficulty 4.0 or greater finds, that would be GEO-X.

I am hoping to excite the caching community, about Extreme Geocaching, or GEO-X. You can find examples on the internet. I hope to bring it back here to Maine. Maybe even have a GEO-X EVENT, or a GEO-X TOUR.

Let me know if you are interested in and ready for GEO-X

Ahhh ok, I think I get it now, it's more of a record breaking and numbers of difficult caches kinda thing? There was a day last winter I did about 4 caches on the mt. tops over in belgrade and that was an all day hike/freeze kinda trip, does that count or does it have to be an extensive travel?

WhereRWe?
09-16-2006, 02:20 PM

I've told this story before, but I'll include it here for the Geo-X thread:

RULOST2? and I were the first to find the "Welcome to Chisasibi" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=23e0a5ad-e317-4a42-8a0f-3e1df82d27ce) cache. It was place on Dec 23, 2002, and we found it on Aug 25, 2004 (and it's still only been found a total of 3 times).

We were camping in Radison, Quebec, about 700 miles north of here - literally at the end of the road. We wanted to get on the internet, but the internet cafe didn't open until 4:00 that afternoon. So we decided to drive 50-or-so miles to Chisasibi to visit the Cree Indian village. Looked around, went to the shore of James Bay, and returned to Radison. Got on the internet, looked up the cache we knew was somewhere in the area, and guess where it was: Chisasibi. (This was before our paperless caching days) So the next morning we drove the 50-or-so miles back to Chisasibi to log the cache. Total miles for 1 cache: over 200. :eek: :eek:

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Ahhh ok, I think I get it now, it's more of a record breaking and numbers of difficult caches kinda thing? There was a day last winter I did about 4 caches on the mt. tops over in belgrade and that was an all day hike/freeze kinda trip, does that count or does it have to be an extensive travel?

That IS GEO-X.

Doing nothing but 4 wheel caches ALL day would be GEO-X
Maine ORCA and Extreme Geocaching go together.

Hiram357
09-16-2006, 02:25 PM
That IS GEO-X.

Doing nothing but 4 wheel caches ALL day would be GEO-X
Maine ORCA and Extreme Geocaching go together.

Ahhhh cool, So I'm GEO-X!! :cool: If we change it to GEX-O can we save $200 on our car insurance?

Sudonim
09-16-2006, 04:11 PM
How about the guard rail cache by the strip club? Does that qualify for GEO-XXX? :D

WhereRWe?
09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
How about the guard rail cache by the strip club? Does that qualify for GEO-XXX? :D

Dammit! When you refer to a cache, please post a link! I'd like to do this one but I've never heard of it! ;) ;)

Hiram357
09-16-2006, 05:25 PM

I agree with Bruce! who's up for a cache event!

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 06:23 PM
We were camping in Radison, Quebec, about 700 miles north of here - literally at the end of the road. We wanted to get on the internet, but the internet cafe didn't open until 4:00 that afternoon. So we decided to drive 50-or-so miles to Chisasibi to visit the Cree Indian village. Looked around, went to the shore of James Bay, and returned to Radison. Got on the internet, looked up the cache we knew was somewhere in the area, and guess where it was: Chisasibi. (This was before our paperless caching days) So the next morning we drove the 50-or-so miles back to Chisasibi to log the cache. Total miles for 1 cache: over 200. :eek: :eek:

Great story, oh those days before paperless. I am not sure if a single find can qualify for GEO-X. But then again I remember the 4th of July trip by the Rescue Rangers, to the Allagash. That was some 350 miles of dirt roads, and kayaking to an island in the middle of nowhere. For a single cache, that might not even be there. That might qualify for GEO-X, for a single cache.

I think your Chisasibi story IS GEO-X.

Team2hunt
09-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Sorry that would NOT qualify for GEO-X.

But your story covering the DeLorme Challenge, is what got me thinking about this. Thanks for doing it. There will be others to follow.

becket
09-16-2006, 09:21 PM
hollora and i did "planes, trains and automobiles" recently. i know that doesn't qualify for your thread, but to us, it was VERY extreme!

Sudonim
09-16-2006, 09:48 PM
hollora and i did "planes, trains and automobiles" recently. i know that doesn't qualify for your thread, but to us, it was VERY extreme!
I did planes, trains... in the winter. Signed the log 10 minutes after sunset!!! Lots of bushwacking in the dark to get back to the car. Had a novice cacher with me, she didn't do many more after that.:eek:
Cache is in the middle of nowhere, but had great swag when I was there.

The G Team
09-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I agree with Bruce! who's up for a cache event!

Let's do it!

vicbiker
09-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Would spending the whole day caching with Hiram 357 qualify as extreme???:D Maybe Steph spending her anniversary on a mountain withn him might qualify!! :D

Hiram357
09-17-2006, 09:42 AM
But then again I remember the 4th of July trip by the Rescue Rangers, to the Allagash. That was some 350 miles of dirt roads, and kayaking to an island in the middle of nowhere. For a single cache, that might not even be there. That might qualify for GEO-X, for a single cache.

but does that coun't even though it technically wasn't a cache??

Would spending the whole day caching with Hiram 357 qualify as extreme???:D Maybe Steph spending her anniversary on a mountain withn him might qualify!! :D

eh hem... :p :p :p :p :p

Team2hunt
09-17-2006, 11:52 AM
but does that coun't even though it technically wasn't a cache??

We were able to log it. It WAS a cache. (GCQNG2) Dog of the Dam(n) by jlbjlb (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6bbe4b41-8019-42b6-bb21-a8527c4033b6) and....this was MAP 61. :D :) :p :rolleyes: Rescue Rangers

robt
09-17-2006, 02:22 PM
We were able to log it. It WAS a cache. (GCQNG2) Dog of the Dam(n) by jlbjlb (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6bbe4b41-8019-42b6-bb21-a8527c4033b6) and....this was MAP 61. :D :) :p :rolleyes: Rescue Rangers

My opinion after hearing the story is that it would be extreme, esspecially after hearing the story :)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-18-2006, 06:25 AM
We were camping in Radison, Quebec, about 700 miles north of here - literally at the end of the road

Radisson,Que is the end of the paved road,,,Take the left onto the dirt road(30-40 km before getting into Radisson) going into the LG2 and LG4 (le Grande dams are some of the largest in the world) dam projects. Travel that road for another 600 KM and you end up at Canispiscau, a seaplane base that offers flights into the tiaga and serves as the major hub for all north bound traffic for Caribou hunters. That is the end of the road....lol

WhereRWe?
09-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Radisson,Que is the end of the paved road,,,Take the left onto the dirt road(30-40 km before getting into Radisson) going into the LG2 and LG4 (le Grande dams are some of the largest in the world) dam projects. Travel that road for another 600 KM and you end up at Canispiscau, a seaplane base that offers flights into the tiaga and serves as the major hub for all north bound traffic for Caribou hunters. That is the end of the road....lol

Yeah, I know there are other private roads heading east and west, but for all intents and purposes, you can't really go any further north than Radisson. (There's a very nice virtual tour of the Trans Tiaga road here (http://jamesbayroad.com/ttr/virtualtour/ttrvirtualtour01.html)).

Sometime let me tell you about having your back windshield explode 200 miles from the nearest town! LOL!

tat
09-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Not sure if this counts, but KK and I (along with a non-cacher) found The Seal Trap. We could have taken the ferry to Isle Au Haut and walked or biked to the cache. Instead, we camped out the night before at the Old Quarry Campground. (The same place as the annual Kayak event). We paddle down through the islands, set up camp just off IAH and paddle the rest of the way to the cache. We saw a meteor shower, eagles, dolphins and seals. The weather was perfect!

Sudonim
09-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Not sure if this counts, but KK and I (along with a non-cacher) found The Seal Trap. We could have taken the ferry to Isle Au Haut and walked or biked to the cache. Instead, we camped out the night before at the Old Quarry Campground. (The same place as the annual Kayak event). We paddle down through the islands, set up camp just off IAH and paddle the rest of the way to the cache. We saw a meteor shower, eagles, dolphins and seals. The weather was perfect!
I saw that someone pulled the other cache near there today. They don't have any finds, might be a ranger.

tat
09-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I saw that someone pulled the other cache near there today. They don't have any finds, might be a ranger.

It's hard to say, but the hider only has 1 find.

Team2hunt
09-19-2006, 04:37 PM

You guys had way too much fun to make it GEO-X. Now if you had logged 5-6 caches on the trip and had a rescue or two......

tat
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I forgot to mention the waves! There were waves!! Well, ok, there was one place in the entire bay with a breaker once every few minutes. But we hit it hard!

Kaching Karen
09-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Hey! Isn't "fun" part of the deal? And as far as rescues go, I prefer not to do them when I'm out on the ocean.

Team2hunt
09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey! Isn't "fun" part of the deal? And as far as rescues go, I prefer not to do them when I'm out on the ocean.

Yes KK, caching is ALWAYS fun! But that does not make it GEO-X. I saw the picture of " the waves " and with the right story........ it could have qualified. :p Rescues are best done, when not necessary. :rolleyes: