View Full Version : Bigelow

vicbiker
09-16-2006, 04:01 PM
This is short notice,but Number Seven and myself will be climbing Bigelow Mt. tomorrow the17th.If anyone is bored and looking for something to do come join us.Our plan is to leave Abbot at 7a.m. putting us at the mt.around 8.30a.m..We are going up the horn pond trail and down the fire wardens trail.This is a long,rugged all day hike,just to warn you.Wish I had known sooner,but we bike to Dover today and decided on the way back that tomorrow would be a great day weather wise to do it.Maybe we'll see you there. Vic

Sudonim
09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
The last time I hiked Bigelow was with my dad when I was 10 years old. We were going to do the AT from there to the N.H. border, but after 3 days of record setting heat, I bailed. Mom had to drive up from CT. to get me! Dad kept going, but admitted that it was really hot that summer.

vicbiker
09-16-2006, 05:33 PM
[The last time I hiked Bigelow was with my dad when I was 10 years old.] We were going to do the AT from there to the N.H. border, but after 3 days of record setting heat, I bailed. Mom had to drive up from CT. to get me! Dad kept going, but admitted that it was really hot that summer.Every one talks about the hundred mile wilderness,but this section of the AT is no pinic!If you do little bigelow,big bigelow,the two crockers and the backside of sugar loaf and than head for saddleback you'll know you done something.

Sudonim
09-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm sure familiar with Saddleback. My dad has been the maintainer from Orbeton stream to the horn since before I was born. I love crossing the saddle when the clouds are low. Everything seems quiet and mysterious.

Buck451
09-16-2006, 10:12 PM
This is short notice,but Number Seven and myself will be climbing Bigelow Mt. tomorrow the17th.If anyone is bored and looking for something to do come join us.Our plan is to leave Abbot at 7a.m. putting us at the mt.around 8.30a.m..We are going up the horn pond trail and down the fire wardens trail.This is a long,rugged all day hike,just to warn you.Wish I had known sooner,but we bike to Dover today and decided on the way back that tomorrow would be a great day weather wise to do it.Maybe we'll see you there. Vic

Sounds like if you climb Bigelow and get 3 or 4 caches on your way, you may become an Geo-Bigelow.:)

vicbiker
09-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Sounds like if you climb Bigelow and get 3 or 4 caches on your way, you may become an Geo-Bigelow.:)I think if I just make it around the loop I'll be doing good.:D

Hiram357
09-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I think if I just make it around the loop I'll be doing good.:D

Yeah, ya know old folks like you have trouble getting around... :rolleyes: Do they have a senior citizens trail that's paved, maybe even a bus that drives you around the mt.s? :p ;) :D (please don't beat me up...)

Mainelyroses
09-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, ya know old folks like you have trouble getting around... :rolleyes: Do they have a senior citizens trail that's paved, maybe even a bus that drives you around the mt.s? :p ;) :D (please don't beat me up...)

Hey..I resemble those comments! Actually, that paved road doesn't sound too bad to ME! (I'm just teasing, so please don't anyone jump on Hiram..lol):D :rolleyes: :D

attroll
09-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I have been told that I have access to the old Fire Wardens cabin on Avery Peak and can use it any time I want as long as someone else is not using it. So if anyone is interested we could do an overnight up there one weekend before it gets to cold. I have to confirm this though.

vicbiker
09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
This is a up date on the bigelow trip.WOW!!! Doesn't get much better than this.The weather was perfect for doing the hike.Lacyndisiel decided to do go with Number Seven and myself which in itself is a adventure.As I told her today "you are a few french fries shy of a happy meal".:DLacy is the human half of Lacyndesiel,disiel being the canine half.or at least we think thats right,can't be absolutely sure.:D

Seriously this was a great hike,met some interesting people,saw some great scenery.I had plenty of hiking by the time we got back to the truck.12miles and 10 hrs.is plenty for this old guy Hiram!!:p

vicbiker
09-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah, ya know old folks like you have trouble getting around... :rolleyes: Do they have a senior citizens trail that's paved, maybe even a bus that drives you around the mt.s? :p ;) :D (please don't beat me up...)To bad they don't allow jeeps,that way you would be able to go.:D

Hiram357
09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
This is a up date on the bigelow trip.WOW!!! Doesn't get much better than this.The weather was perfect for doing the hike.Lacyndisiel decided to do go with Number Seven and myself which in itself is a adventure.As I told her today "you are a few french fries shy of a happy meal".:DLacy is the human half of Lacyndesiel,disiel being the canine half.or at least we think thats right,can't be absolutely sure.:D

Seriously this was a great hike,met some interesting people,saw some great scenery.I had plenty of hiking by the time we got back to the truck.12miles and 10 hrs.is plenty for this old guy Hiram!!:p

it took you 10hrs to go 12 miles!?! ohhh thats right, gotta stop and take a few naps... :p :D :rolleyes:

wish ya would've given us more time, you'll have to let us know a bit more in advance next time. :D

Hiram357
09-17-2006, 09:46 PM
To bad they don't allow jeeps,that way you would be able to go.:D

like i always say.... Walking is for people that don't own Jeeps... :D

brdad
09-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Isn't 12 miles a lot to ask of a Jeep? :D

vicbiker
09-18-2006, 05:36 AM
I have been told that I have access to the old Fire Wardens cabin on Avery Peak and can use it any time I want as long as someone else is not using it. So if anyone is interested we could do an overnight up there one weekend before it gets to cold. I have to confirm this though.Rick there was no one there yesterday when we were there.Have you ever been inside?Wonder what its like in there?Would have to do it within the month or so,other wise there may be snow up there.

vicbiker
09-18-2006, 05:39 AM
Isn't 12 miles a lot to ask of a Jeep? :DEspecially a jeep that can't climb a little mt.

attroll
09-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Rick there was no one there yesterday when we were there.Have you ever been inside?Wonder what its like in there?Would have to do it within the month or so,other wise there may be snow up there.
I talked to someone this weekend that has been inside. They have bunks and a propane cook stove I was told. Yes it would have to be before the end of October. I only have two weekends free from now until then so far.

Hiram357
09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Especially a jeep that can't climb a little mt.

Isn't 12 miles a lot to ask of a Jeep? :D

I'm not talking to you guys anymore... :p :p :p

vicbiker
09-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I talked to someone this weekend that has been inside. They have bunks and a propane cook stove I was told. Yes it would have to be before the end of October. I only have two weekends free from now until then so far.I checked my schedule with Cheryl and it seems I have two weekends free in Oct. The first and last weekends are free for me.What are yours?If that doesn't work we may have to make it a winter hike.But if we are going to climb thefire wardens trail in the snow we'll need some one young to break trail for us old guys.The person should be around 25 and not all that bright,any one you can think of Rick...:rolleyes:

MoxieMan
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
like i always say.... Walking is for people that don't own Jeeps... :D

And Jeeps are for those people who aren't afraid to get their vehicles stuck up on mountains! :cool:

Hiram357
09-18-2006, 06:41 PM
I checked my schedule with Cheryl and it seems I have two weekends free in Oct. The first and last weekends are free for me.What are yours?If that doesn't work we may have to make it a winter hike.But if we are going to climb thefire wardens trail in the snow we'll need some one young to break trail for us old guys.The person should be around 25 and not all that bright,any one you can think of Rick...:rolleyes:

I suppose I need some grooming tracks for the Jeep anyways... :rolleyes:

Hiram357
09-18-2006, 06:43 PM
And Jeeps are for those people who aren't afraid to get their vehicles stuck up on mountains! :cool:

Heh, I've got mine stuck on more than one (and the number of mt.s climbed is still higher than the number of mt.s I've gotten it stuck on... :p )