View Full Version : Laws to abide by while Geocaching

Neoncouple
09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Hello Everyone,

This is Mrs. Neon. I am taking a business law class this semester and my professor would like me to write about Geocaching for my final paper, because she thinks it's interesting. However, in order to be okay for the paper it has to involve laws of some kind. I've looked a bit on geocaching.com and it doesn't really go into laws, just their general rules. Could I have some assistance from you "experienced" cachers about some laws and regulations we need to abide by while hiding and/or seeking a cache. Any input would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Beach Comber
09-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi There!! Hope you, Mr. Neon, and Neon Baby are all doing well :D

Sounds like an interesting class! I haven't looked at things specifically. but I would wonder if you might be able to find some information about school grounds, government building and property laws, State park laws, etc. Perhaps copyright laws. Check out the guidelines on GC.com and think about it from a state or federal law standpoint. Even if GC.com considers it respectful or common sense practice, there may very well be a related law. Not sure if this is helpful, but wanted to share how I would approach if I were looking into it.

Have fun!!

tat
09-20-2006, 05:33 PM
All land access laws must be obeyed, even though most people have no idea what they are, and they vary greatly from place to place.

Team2hunt
09-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Areas around railroad tracks was a hot topic not long ago. Not being able to walk along or cross them legally, was the issue. Good luck. Hope this helps, try searching this website for railroad. I know there was a thread not long ago.

hollora
09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
National Parks, I also believe - are a no, no. There was a container just removed from some National Park land on an off shore Maine island.

Again, this sounds like an interesting paper. Perhaps you could share your research with us on the website when done.

Good Luck!

firefighterjake
09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
As mentioned there was quite a lively topic on RR rules, regulations and laws in one thread . . . and you can always ask Hiram about the consequence of disobeying those signs that state an area is only open from dawn to dusk or some variation of that theme. ;) :D

The G Team
09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm sure some tenents of the Patriot Act might apply. Hiding PVC pipe caches on bridges and tunnels, around airports, things like that. Just an idea.

You might also mention the demise of the selectable availability "feature" of the GPS system back in the Regan era that allowed Geocaching to exist as we know it.

MoxieMan
09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
All land access laws must be obeyed, even though most people have no idea what they are, and they vary greatly from place to place.

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. I've only found 30+ caches but I've come across at 4 or 5 that I didn't attempt to log (just sent note to owner) because the cache was clearly in posted "No Trespassing" land.

Cache'n Jacksons
09-21-2006, 07:03 AM
How about:

Thou shalt not steal thy neighbor's cache
Thou shalt replace thy cache as it was found
Thou shalt not disrupt thy cache's local environment
Thou shalt not use inferior plastic storage containers
Thou shalt trade for items of equal or greater value
Thou shalt always log thy travel bugs
Thou shalt maintain thy cache
Thou shalt hide thy cache in areas of some significance
Thou shalt not hide thy cache on private land without permission
Thou shalt not tresspass while hiding or seeking a cache

Pooh and friends
09-21-2006, 08:14 PM

Like the "night cache" I went to do, then at the kiosk it clearly states that the land open hours are from dawn to dusk. I was surprised no one mentioned that when they logged their finds. http://www.sacobaytrails.org/rules.shtml

Cache'n Jacksons
09-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Like the "night cache" I went to do, then at the kiosk it clearly states that the land open hours are from dawn to dusk. I was surprised no one mentioned that when they logged their finds. http://www.sacobaytrails.org/rules.shtml

Interesting... I also see there is a special note to geocachers at the bottom of that page. Hopefully all permissions have been obtained for that cache! We'd like the chance to do it before it gets shut down.

Neoncouple
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
How about:
Thou shalt not tresspass while hiding or seeking a cache

I like your commandments. May I use them in my paper? It would be used as personal ethics.

Cache'n Jacksons
09-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Have at it... you notice I did not include "Thou shalt not plagiarize" on my list... ;)

Pooh and friends
09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Interesting... I also see there is a special note to geocachers at the bottom of that page. Hopefully all permissions have been obtained for that cache! We'd like the chance to do it before it gets shut down.

I am glad you read the whole page!! More people just skim to what they want, then make a judgement on that. Kudos for you!!

Rumblebees
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
My son tells me that geocaching in Bagdad (where he is) requires all containers to be clear plastic so it one can tell that the items inside are not explosive.

brdad
11-06-2006, 06:54 AM
My son tells me that geocaching in Bagdad (where he is) requires all containers to be clear plastic so it one can tell that the items inside are not explosive.

That's actually good news in a way. I remember before the War, there was one cache in Iraq. It didn't get many finds since GPSrs were not alllowed there, and the obvious safety issues. The cache was disabled by gc.com when the war started. I'm sure there is a long ways to go, but the presense of caches there now indicates life must be improving over there.

Zoltarus
11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Here is a Law for your paper (by the way, my night cache is not an "official" cemetary!):

Title 17-A: MAINE CRIMINAL CODE (http://janus.state.me.us/LEGIS/STATUTES/17-A/title17-Ach0sec0.html)
Chapter 17: BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS (http://janus.state.me.us/LEGIS/STATUTES/17-A/title17-Ach17sec0.html)
§402. Criminal trespass
1. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if, knowing that that person is not licensed or privileged to do so, that person:
F. Enters or remains in a cemetery or burial ground at any time between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day, unless that person enters or remains during hours in which visitors are permitted to enter or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and operated cemetery, by posting.

Does my "Geocaching Permit" provide me with the required license or privelage under paragraph 1?

WhereRWe?
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Does my "Geocaching Permit" provide me with the required license or privelage under paragraph 1?

I think that falls under the same category as "authorized person" for the purpose of making a u-turn on the Interstate. LOL! ;) ;)

Neoncouple
12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Here is a copy of my paper that is due tomorrow, if anyone would like to read it. Thank you to all you helped. I know I could have explained more on some subjects and added others in, but my professor only wants 6 pages, double spaced. She doesn't like long papers....Enjoy!!!

Geocaching (pronounced geo-cashing) is a high-tech treasure hunting game, played by millions worldwide. It began May 2, 2000, when 24 satellites were given new orders, turning off selective availability that only the military could access, and letting everyone who wanted to, pinpoint their precise location upon the Earth. On May 3rd, a guy by the name of Dave Ulmer, wanted to test this new accuracy, so he hid a navigational target in the woods, posted the coordinates on an internet news group, telling people to come and find it. And come they did. It started a phenomenon, and now there are millions of geocachers around the world, at least 1 on every continent.
In Maine, there are approximately 1500 caches of all shapes and sizes, from as small as a pen cap, to as large 5 gallon bucket. So, first things first. If interested, one needs to purchase a handheld GPS receiver. After purchasing a GPS, one would need to go to the website www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/) and set up a free account. This account will have your username, profile, and keep track of all the caches that you will find, and maybe even hide. My husband and I are called the Neoncouple. Once you set up your account, you would then search for caches in your area. You can do this by city or just by zip code. The caches will be listed from closest to furthest away. A map is also a good idea, to get a little more familiarized with the area you will be traveling to, as not all GPS’s are equipped with mapping software. You would then either print out the description of the caches you want to search for, or be like my husband, and download them into your PDA. You would then enter the coordinates in your GPS, and you are on your way. Before leaving, be sure to check the difficulty and terrain ratings. They range from 1-5. One being easy, five being difficult. If seeking the cache requires scuba gear, a boat, repelling/climbing gear, or any other special equipment, it is mandated that it state a 5 for terrain difficulty.
Next, follow simple rules and regulations of seeking a cache. It’s a good idea to cache with a buddy. By car, you should be able to get within a mile of the cache; the rest will have to be on foot. Some caches you can drive right up to and only walk a couple of feet to find it, others may require an extensive amount of walking, hiking, paddling, etc. Many caches are hidden along walking trails. Don’t park blocking the trailhead. In either case, your GPS should get you within 20 feet of the cache. Make sure you note the type of container you are looking for, whether it be a Tupperware container, thermos, or ammo can. Once you are close, start looking for something that may be suspicious, like a hollow log, a pile of rocks, or a pile leaves and branches.
Now that you have found the cache, open it and have a look inside. You should find a log book; sometimes you may need to supply the pen to write in it. Enter your name and a little bit about your search. If you like an item in the cache, you may take it, if you leave something in return. If you do not want to take anything, you still may leave an item if you wish. There is one general rule of geocaching; CITO, Cache In Trash Out. If you find trash in the area or in the cache container itself, kindly remove it, so the cache doesn’t get a bad reputation. Once you are finished with the container, place it back where you found it. Try to hide it the same way, such as the pile of rocks or leaves. Now you can go home, e-mail the person who hid the cache, and record your find on geocaching.com. Make sure to write whether or not you took something and left something. Sometimes, if you leave something that another cacher likes, they will go out and try to obtain it.
There are a couple of other fun things when it comes to finding a cache. One is signature items. Cachers will create some type of item that signifies them. For instance, we make Neon coins. It’s a wooden nickel, with a sticker of a fish and our e-mail address on the front, and our insignia engraved and painted on the back. Some people use business cards. I have seen small ladders, rubber chicken key chains, picture marbles, and CD’s. You can collect signature items of other cachers if you wish. When you write about your experience on the website, just state whose signature item you kept. We have collected approximately 20 signature items from other cachers.
The other fun thing about finding a cache is travel bugs. Travel bugs are trackable items that move from cache to cache with a special purpose. Travel bugs have “dog tags,” with a specific tracking number attached to it. If you find a travel bug in a cache, read over its mission. If you believe you can help it along the way, go ahead and take it, then put it in another cache for someone else to find. For example, I had a dolphin keychain that I thought would be neat to send it to Key West and have pictures taken there. I placed a tag on it, wrote out his mission, and sent him on his way. He made it to Key Largo, before someone decided not to read his mission, and took him to Jacksonville. We are still waiting for the cachers in possession of him currently, to send him back towards Key West.
One rule about travel bugs is to not keep them very long. Cachers like to see them move around, because their miles are tracked by the location of caches they are placed in. If you intend to keep the travel bug for more than 2 weeks before helping it along the way, just send a courtesy e-mail to the owner to let them know.
Once you get the hang of finding a cache, then comes the fun of hiding one. First of all, decide on an area you would like to place a cache. Will be off a walking trail, or maybe in your back yard? Be aware of other caches in the area. A general rule of thumb is that the caches be placed at least .10 mile apart. You will be in federal violation if you place a cache in any area that is regulated by the National Park Service. These parks are set up to protect the fragile environment.
Be aware of traffic in the area that you want to place your cache; “muggles” may be lurking. Muggles are people that do not know what the geocaching game is all about, and may wonder why you are roaming around a park or bushwhacking through the woods off a well marked walking trail. Once in a while a muggle will find a cache, not know what it is, and take it or destroy it. My husband and I have hid a cache at the South bound rest area near Pittsfield. It has been muggled once. We bought a new ammo can, filled it up, placed it back; this time a little more concealed.
Once you believe you have a good spot, decide on a container. People use as small as a 35mm film canister, to as large as a five gallon bucket, it’s all up to you. Make sure your container is weather resistant. Invest in some Ziploc baggies, to put items in, just in case the container leaks. Write on the container to mark what it is, so that someone who doesn’t play the game can figure it out. Most geocachers place a stash note in their cache that describes a little about our game.
In your cache you will need at the very least a logbook. A writing utensil would be good as well, if your container is large enough. Usually a pencil, since pens seem to freeze during the winter. Then just fill up the cache with some goodies. Some examples are a disposable camera, play-doh, gift certificates, mini first aid kits, and so forth. Do not put food in a cache! Critters may attempt to nibble or even swallow your cache. No alcohol, tobacco, firearms, prescription or illicit drugs, or items that are not kid friendly. Keep your cache safe and legal. Remember, this is a family game.
Now that your cache is full, it’s time to go and place it. When you find your location, look for a tree, rock, or other good area in which to hide the container. Do not bury the cache! If a shovel is needed to find a cache, the cache will end up being archived by the site. You can cover the cache with dead branches and leaves to help conceal it. Now you need to use your GPS receiver to mark the coordinates/waypoint of your cache. Walk towards your cache from one direction, and record the coordinates. Do this 7-10 times, from different direction, and then pick the best coordinate. Once you’ve decided on your waypoint, write it in permanent marker on the container, log book, and something that you can take back with you. Fill out the reporting a cache form on www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/), and then maintain your cache. Visit your cache from time to time, replace the log book once full, and remove any broken or inappropriate trade items.
There are some laws that pertain to both hiding and seeking a cache. Please be aware of private property laws and trespassing. If you place your cache on private land, and it is okay by the owners, say so in the write up when you describe your cache. If you are searching for a cache and see private property postings, do a little more research before heading in to find the cache. It is illegal in Maine to “Enter or remain in a cemetery or burial ground at any time between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day, unless that person enters or remains during hours in which visitors are permitted to enter or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and operated cemetery, by posting.” (Title 17-A: MAINE CRIMINAL CODE (http://janus.state.me.us/LEGIS/STATUTES/17-A/title17-Ach0sec0.html); Chapter 17: BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS (http://janus.state.me.us/LEGIS/STATUTES/17-A/title17-Ach17sec0.html);§402. Criminal trespass).
When I began thinking about this paper, I went onto www.geocachingmaine.org (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/), and started a thread in the forums, asking fellow cachers about laws we need to abide by while caching. The ones you have read about in this paper, are the ones that were mentioned the most. One cacher posted his ten commandments of geocaching. They are as follows:

Thou shalt not tresspass while hiding or seeking a cacheI asked the fellow cacher if I could use these in this paper, because I think it sums up our rules and regulations very well. His response to me was: “Have at it... you notice I did not include "Thou shalt not plagiarize" on my list... ” So thank you to my fellow geocachers for assistance with the paper, and especially to Cache'n Jacksons (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/member.php?u=81) for the ten commandments. We are just a big happy family. Come on and join in the fun!

FuddsGirls
12-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey great and good luck. You taught me a few things I didn't know:o :D