View Full Version : firefighterjake hits 500

hollora
09-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Just knew our geocaching pal was going to slip right by his 500th quietly and probably alone.;) That is fitting...........that's Jake!:)

Hey, TGIF buddy - congratulations and on to many more enjoyable journeys.:D It is fun to search for your caches, cache with you, view your photos and of course read your stories.

On to many more!:)

Cache Maine
09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Congratulations Jake!

becket
09-23-2006, 07:22 PM
what can i say that lois didn't already say? congratulations on your 500th find!

i love your caches, jake, even as i am usually standing there cursing you! your photos are awesome and your stories (and your posts) are just wonderful. i always look forward to reading them.

it has been great getting to know you - i have more fun every time i cache with you. i am honored that you and hollora included me in the tgif gang.

here's to the next 500! i hope i get to tag along on more than a few of them!

Mainiac1957
09-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Jason it was a pleasure to have finally met you. I have thouroghly enjoyed doing the caches you have placed. Of course you will do some more eventually, right.;) 500 is a good milestone, at least in Maine it is. Congrats to you.:cool:

RanMan22
09-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Congrats, FFJ!

-RanMan22

Beach Comber
09-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Congratulations!!! I haven't met you yet, but nonetheless I am excited to be the owner of the very first FFJ ladder!! Happy cachin' !!

Cache'n Jacksons
09-24-2006, 07:48 AM
.o©º°¨¨°º©^©º°¨¨°º© -=|[ Congratulations!! ]|=- ©º°¨¨°º©^©º°¨¨°º©o.

WhereRWe?
09-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Way to go, Jake! Keep on caching! :D :D

vicbiker
09-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Congrats Jason on a big milestone.It would have been bigger if you could have found mine!!Did you read where the two little kids found it? I think they were 8 & 10 years old...:D:D

steverph
09-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Congrats Jake. I enjoyed meeting you at the ATV ride in Troy where I discovered that you have another hobby, taking pictures of ATVs splashing through mud holes.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Congratulations!!

Sudonim
09-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Congrats Jason. I'm glad to have been on a few of those 500 with you. Enjoy the next 500 :p

Dave and Gail
09-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Holy Smokes,,,500 caches,,Congratulations on this awesome milestone. Gail And I enjoyed meeting you finally this summer at the 4x4 tread lightly event and we hope to meet up again. Maybe we can get down your way and get a couple of those caches of yours they are all talking about. Congratulations again on hitting 500 Jason,,Happy Caching,,,"Dave and Gail" and Shamis

firefighterjake
09-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the kind words folks . . . I was kind of hoping that no one would notice . . . guess I should have known better, huh? :D

hollora
09-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Yup, we had talked about a party but knew you would be MIA! ;)

parmachenee
09-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Nice milestone and let's not forget some great caches you've placed. Also nice to see Hollora and Becket teaming up with you on some of those great moments.:)

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Nice milestone and let's not forget some great caches you've placed. Also nice to see Hollora and Becket teaming up with you on some of those great moments.:)

Becket and I felt sorry for Hollora with her only owning a Garmin so we decided to go along with her to help her find some caches!;) :D Although to tell the truth on the last outing Hollora kept finding the caches before us which was very, very unusual (must have been the Monhegan Magic in the air) . . . but on the flip side she continued to try to lead us down the longer paths to the cache.:D

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Just knew our geocaching pal was going to slip right by his 500th quietly and probably alone.;) That is fitting...........that's Jake!:)

Hey, TGIF buddy - congratulations and on to many more enjoyable journeys.:D It is fun to search for your caches, cache with you, view your photos and of course read your stories.

On to many more!:)

Thanks Lois . . . it's been lots of fun going geocaching with you (and Monhegan was a definite highlight of my geocaching thus far).

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:11 AM
what can i say that lois didn't already say? congratulations on your 500th find!

i love your caches, jake, even as i am usually standing there cursing you! your photos are awesome and your stories (and your posts) are just wonderful. i always look forward to reading them.

it has been great getting to know you - i have more fun every time i cache with you. i am honored that you and hollora included me in the tgif gang.

here's to the next 500! i hope i get to tag along on more than a few of them!

Right back at you . . . the adventures we have geocaching with you and Lois have only been surpassed by getting to know two truly great people (well, there are other geocachers out there that are great too, but I've just been fortunate to get to know you two much better than many others.)

And for the record, nearly every time I put out a particularly devious cache I think to myself, "I wonder if this one will have Becket cursing my name . . . or for that matter if Dave1976 will show up on my front porch (although this is more difficult right now since the front porch's boards are missing!) :D "

Incidentally, if it's any consolation my next two caches should be much simpler to find as I am crafting one cache (with some alterations and suggestions from my original idea thanks to Hiram) for a particular geocaching member who will need a 1/1 cache . . . and a ladder.

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Jason it was a pleasure to have finally met you. I have thouroghly enjoyed doing the caches you have placed. Of course you will do some more eventually, right.;) 500 is a good milestone, at least in Maine it is. Congrats to you.:cool:

Same here Brad . . . although I will have to think twice before offering free pizza to geocachers in the future!;) :D

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Congratulations!!! I haven't met you yet, but nonetheless I am excited to be the owner of the very first FFJ ladder!! Happy cachin' !!

Ah . . . must have been one of the first ladders that I placed on Deer Isle. My "records" still show that there are still a number of ladders in those caches still . . . of course folks may have taken one and not recorded it in the logs. Unfortunately, I don't see these ladders becoming valued collector items anytime soon. ;) :D

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Congrats Jason on a big milestone.It would have been bigger if you could have found mine!!Did you read where the two little kids found it? I think they were 8 & 10 years old...:D:D

Sure, sure rub it in . . . maybe that's the secret though, I must have a child-like mind and curiosity . . . hmmmm, hey Hiram I need your help, want to go geocaching on a bridge . . . oh wait a minute, you found that one already . . . this definitely explains things. ;) :D

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Congrats Jake. I enjoyed meeting you at the ATV ride in Troy where I discovered that you have another hobby, taking pictures of ATVs splashing through mud holes.

I think I have never yet met a geocacher that I didn't like . . . it was good to meet you as well . . . and combining geocaching and ATVing had to be a plus.

Incidentally, you may have noticed that I threw on a photo of you here on this site!

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Congrats Jason. I'm glad to have been on a few of those 500 with you. Enjoy the next 500 :p

And I assume you forgive me for dragging you out in front of the WABI cameras??? ;) :D

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Holy Smokes,,,500 caches,,Congratulations on this awesome milestone. Gail And I enjoyed meeting you finally this summer at the 4x4 tread lightly event and we hope to meet up again. Maybe we can get down your way and get a couple of those caches of yours they are all talking about. Congratulations again on hitting 500 Jason,,Happy Caching,,,"Dave and Gail" and Shamis

The feeling is mutual -- you two are (in the Maine vernacular) "good people." I can't wait until the 2007 Tread Lightly event.

Now about making the trip down to find some of my caches . . . In another week or so the leaves down my way will be absolutely brilliant so I would highly encourage you two to come down on a nice, crisp and sunny Saturday or Sunday to check out the foliage, find some great caches (there are lots of them in the Greater Unity Area and the majority of them are by other geocachers) and of course try out the pizza at the Unity House of Pizza.

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Yup, we had talked about a party but knew you would be MIA! ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

firefighterjake
09-25-2006, 08:31 AM

Thanks for noticing . . . to me being a "good" geocacher means giving as well as receiving which is why I've tried to put out a cache for every 25 or so found caches -- something that I started to do when I started out caching . . . a feat which gets more and more difficult as time progresses due to the number of caches that need to be maintained, trying to find new places for caches in the area, etc.

Coming up with new hides and cache ideas continues to be just as fun for me as finding the caches . . . and to tell the truth there is no higher praise than to hear the veteran geocachers tell me how much they liked a particular cache or how they had to really think it out before finding it . . . with the exception of poor TRF who nearly always seems to be the first to find the caches that I have messed up the coords on . . . I still feel bad about the Thomas Luce cache . . . and the Multi in a Mile and a Half . . . and . . . . well you get the idea.

pjpreb
09-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Congrats FFJ!

hollora
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Ah . . . must have been one of the first ladders that I placed on Deer Isle. My "records" still show that there are still a number of ladders in those caches still . . . of course folks may have taken one and not recorded it in the logs. Unfortunately, I don't see these ladders becoming valued collector items anytime soon. ;) :D

You want to bet? Where's the Purple one? Where and when will it appear? LOL;)

becket
09-25-2006, 08:34 PM
You want to bet? Where's the Purple one? Where and when will it appear? LOL;)yeah, jake, where's the purple ladder? :D :D :D

hollora
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
We perhaps need to be watching his logs - who knows where he may drop one!:D

firefighterjake
09-26-2006, 08:06 AM
You want to bet? Where's the Purple one? Where and when will it appear? LOL;)

Read my lips . . . no new taxes . . . I mean no purple ladders . . . it's just not natural.:D

firefighterjake
09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
yeah, jake, where's the purple ladder? :D :D :D

Well it's like this . . . I've seen natural wooden ladders, aluminum (silver) ladders, black painted ladders, white painted ladders, roof ladders and safety orange ladders, but I have yet to see a purple ladder (a real ladder incidentally) so I just can't bring myself to make a batch of purple ladders . . . or blue ladders . . . green ladders . . . etc. Besides if I did that I would end up starting a whole new collecting frenzy by you and I would end up with a rainbow assortment of ladders which I am sure would make DuPont very happy.:D

becket
09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Besides if I did that I would end up starting a whole new collecting frenzy by you :D

and your point is? :D :D :D

firefighterjake
09-26-2006, 08:32 AM
and your point is? :D :D :D

Admittedly that would be one point in favor of adding a bevy of colored ladders . . . watching you attempt to find each and every color. :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Coming up with new hides and cache ideas continues to be just as fun for me as finding the caches . . . and to tell the truth there is no higher praise than to hear the veteran geocachers tell me how much they liked a particular cache or how they had to really think it out before finding it . . . with the exception of poor TRF who nearly always seems to be the first to find the caches that I have messed up the coords on . . . I still feel bad about the Thomas Luce cache . . . and the Multi in a Mile and a Half . . . and . . . . well you get the idea.

But they are always fun, even if they are not originally where you tell me they are...LOL:D :D

Mainelyroses
09-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Of COURSE they will be valued collector items! Now if you're talking about the Smithsonian, then you're probably right:D ...but in the hearts of your fellow geocachers, they are extremely valuable!:) :)

Mainiac1957
09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I know for a fact that there are green ladders. We have one in our basement. As far as purple goes, I'm not sure. I thank they are more like eggplant.:rolleyes: :p

becket
09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I know for a fact that there are green ladders. We have one in our basement. As far as purple goes, I'm not sure. I thank they are more like eggplant.:rolleyes: :poh! oh! may i have a green ladder? :D

firefighterjake
09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I know for a fact that there are green ladders. We have one in our basement. As far as purple goes, I'm not sure. I thank they are more like eggplant.:rolleyes: :p

Hmmm . . . I may have to consider doing a green door . . . I mean ladder in my collection. What shade of green is it?