View Full Version : I'm back

Haffy
09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey all,,,,,anyone miss me ;) . Finally got my computer back from the shop today after well over a week without it. What a pain it is without one. I did use the local library to check on some mail a couple of times but other than that, that was it. Seems I lost my power supply and my Windows was corrupted so I had to have my hard drive reformatted and wiped clean. I did manage to save over 8 gigs of photos that I had along with a few other files but that was it. Now I have to start all over again and try to get all that I had on my desktop back once again. What a hassle. I just downloaded Yahoo Messenger and with my slowwwwwwww dial-up it took me almost an hour. Man that sucks...:mad:

I have decided to give Firefox a try since I needed a new browser and it seems everyone seems to like it. Are there any plug-ins that I should have for it and where do I go to get them? I also have to download all kinds of other things as well,GSAK,Cachemate, all my Palm files. Also since I am pretty much starting from a clean slate is there any other application out there that would be of any help? Thanks Haffy

Beach Comber
09-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Of course you were missed!! Welcome back. Just think of all the things you get to do with a clean slate on your computer!

tat
09-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Welcome back! I was worried when I saw all those finds up north and nothing on line!

Team2hunt
09-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Welcome back Haffy! Yes you were missed. :rolleyes:

Sabby
09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Glad to see you back. Surprised I didn't see you at the library over the weekend. I was in Oakland watching the grand children again.

Hiram357
09-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Welcome Haffy! It's always good to see new members join the site. There's lots of good information on the site and there's always something interesting in the forums! I'm sure you'll have a good time meeting new people on the site! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Haffy
09-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Glad to see you back. Surprised I didn't see you at the library over the weekend. I was in Oakland watching the grand children again.

I live in Fairfield so it was the Fairfield Library that I was using for my computer needs.

brdad
09-28-2006, 06:34 AM
You were gone?

Just kidding, I haven't been 100% attentive here this past week, but did notice your logs on your caches. Good to see your computer is back in order.

Cache'n Jacksons
09-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Welcome back, Haffy!! It's not much of a computer shop if they couldn't at least back your old data off to a couple DVD's. Well, no use crying over spilt data! :) I love FireFox, and there's a useful plugin for it called ForecastFox (http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/) that puts 10 days of weather across the top of it out of the way. Also, FireFox comes with a little Quick Search dropdown off to the side that contains all the top search engines. You can add more search engines to the list here (https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php). I've added IMDb (http://www.imdb.com) and Recipezaar (http://www.recipezaar.com) to mine. And I just discovered that there is a Geocaching Quick Search (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=geocaching&sherlock=yes&opensearch=&submitform=Search) as well! Have fun!

MoxieMan
09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
one i can't live without now is Google Earth...but i'm not sure if it will run properly ( or at all) on a dial-up

Haffy
09-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Being on dialup certainly does put a crimp on things. I tried Google Earth sometime after it first came out and it just took wayyyyyy too long to use for me but I guess it depends on how patient you are in waiting for everything to come into view. For me I't just wait til I can get DSL out my way before I try it again.

WhereRWe?
09-29-2006, 04:58 PM
For me I't just wait til I can get DSL out my way before I try it again.

DSL just NOT available??? Sheesh! If I can get it here, I'm surprised you can't.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Haffy
09-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Nope,doesn't make much sense does it? I've tried believe me and no one offers it where I am at. I would get cable but it really is too expensive for my taste. Hopefully Verizon will be coming out my way soon but until that happens it will be dial-up.:(

Hiram357
09-29-2006, 06:55 PM
DSL just NOT available??? Sheesh! If I can get it here, I'm surprised you can't.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

yeah, but you also live in one of those high class areas that has all that fancy stuff like running water, electricity, and toilets... :rolleyes: :D

WhereRWe?
09-30-2006, 08:59 AM
yeah, but you also live in one of those high class areas that has all that fancy stuff like running water, electricity, and toilets... :rolleyes: :D

Well, I have to admit that I ran into an engineer at the telephone office that lives in my town, and knew exactly whereI live. I am beyond the "end-of-the-line" for DSL, but the engineer knew that he could run a new wire the length of 2 poles and I could get DSL!

And sheesh! We've had electricity out here since the year I was born (thanks to the Rural Electrification Administration). I do note that, until we bought this property in 1984, the only toilet was an outhouse off the woodshed out back, and the only running water was a constantly-running, spring-fed pipe in a soapstone sink. LOL!

(Gotta have my luxuries!)