View Full Version : Why did you change the chat?

Team2hunt
09-27-2006, 07:39 PM
What was wrong with the last chat we were using? I cannot log onto the new one! Some sort of security message. :mad:

attroll
09-28-2006, 12:11 AM
The last chat program had a back door in it that I was not aware of and someone found it and really screwed the site up on 04 Sept. That is why we had to change it.

I don't know what kind of security message your getting unless you are blocking java from being used on your computer maybe.

brdad
09-28-2006, 06:32 AM
What is the security message?
IIRC, both Java and Actrive X needs to be enabled in internet options for it to work.

Also, sometimes a security message may come up asking if it is ok to run the software, you will have to select yes if that is the case.

I had trouble with Lee's new XP machine, from what I gathered it was because the Java required doesn't come with the Internet Explorer that comes with XP. So, I just installed Firefox and it worked fine.

And, as I have said before, the best answer is to use an installed IRC client such as mIRC (http://mirc.com) or Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc/learn/).

Beach Comber
09-28-2006, 07:19 AM
I get a message indicating that my user name and/or password are incorrect. Do I use the same ones that I use to log into the website?

Buck451
09-29-2006, 07:04 PM
This is the message I get also?

Unable to connect : com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx : cannot connect to "irc.slashnet.org"

robt
09-30-2006, 12:15 AM
When I hit the Chat button on the top I get page can not be displayed???

The other chat works for me

attroll
09-30-2006, 02:02 AM
are all of you going to this link? http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/chat/

What are you people using for browsers that can not connect?

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Rick, when I followed the "Chat" link on the top of the home page I got an error stating the my username and password were invalid. I did that twice, then I clicked the "chat" link on the right hand side of the home page and the chat loaded up with no issue. I'm using IE 7. I was thinking you had some syntax errors as one versus the other link worked.

brdad
09-30-2006, 06:04 AM
If you google the error Buck mentiones, there are hundreeds of pages about it, mostly to do with trusting the java applet in security somehow. Unfortunately, there is little to do with how to fix it.

Perhaps any of you having trouble could try the applet on slashnet:

1.Click here: http://www.slashnet.org/java.php
With any luck, a Java screen will load and will automatically connect you to the IRC server. If not, Java may need to be upgraded or some other settings adjusted. We'll have to deal with that as we go.

2. In the top left corner, where is says Enter nick:, enter your geocaching name or whatever name you want to be in the box and hit the Enter key.

3. In the lower part of the window, where you would normally type text for the chat, type /join #geocachingmaine.

attroll
09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Rick, when I followed the "Chat" link on the top of the home page I got an error stating the my username and password were invalid. I did that twice, then I clicked the "chat" link on the right hand side of the home page and the chat loaded up with no issue. I'm using IE 7. I was thinking you had some syntax errors as one versus the other link worked.

Oh I see where everyone is having this page not found error. I though everyone was clicking on chat on the homepage. It was the navbar that had the wrong link. I just got done fixing the link in the navbar. So that should work now.

hollora
10-01-2006, 05:11 PM
haven't read all of the posts - but I use Internet Explorer. Still can not get into the chat page. I get an funky page which doesn't even make sense to me. Tried - a couple of times and gave up.

Haffy
10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
haven't read all of the posts - but I use Internet Explorer. Still can not get into the chat page. I get an funky page which doesn't even make sense to me. Tried - a couple of times and gave up.

I would suggest you go to Brdad's post and go to the link that he has posted where you can download the Java link so it will work properly. I couldn't get it to work either unitl I downloaded the Java after my computer was in the shop for over a week and had to download everything all over again. Worked for me anyway.

Team2hunt
10-02-2006, 08:07 AM
This is the message I get also?

Unable to connect : com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx : cannot connect to "irc.slashnet.org"

This is the same message I get, no matter which of the two links I click on. The nav bar, or the one on the right side.

When I click on Brdad's link in one of the posts I am able to connect, to the chat. But that's alot of work for the computer iliterate. Thanks for trying to fix this.

attroll
10-02-2006, 12:30 PM
What browser are you using? It could be because your behind a firewall. You also have to eccept java script popup.

Haffy
10-02-2006, 01:27 PM
No matter which browser you use you have to have Java enabled in order to use it though.

attroll
10-03-2006, 12:40 AM
No matter which browser you use you have to have Java enabled in order to use it though.
The reason I asked is because there are over 6 and more different browsers out there and different operating systems and I believe that there are at least one or two it does not work with. I do know that it works with IE and FF though.

Haffy
10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
It didn't work with my new Firefox though until I downloaded the Java applet.

Team2hunt
10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
After checking everything, and changing my settings, AGAIN! I gave up and used the link that Brdad provided and it works. Thanks for the team work on this one, I appreciate it. I don't think Hiram shares the same enthusiasm. :p We are always poking fun at each other. :rolleyes:

Hiram357
10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
After checking everything, and changing my settings, AGAIN! I gave up and used the link that Brdad provided and it works. Thanks for the team work on this one, I appreciate it. I don't think Hiram shares the same enthusiasm. :p We are always poking fun at each other. :rolleyes:

I'm just goin with the flow... :D

hollora
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Tried brdads link and got a sign on page (which wouldn't let me in). I have used the javaapplet for the USPS web page for years with no problem.

Any other suggestions? Not upset with this as I don't chat that often but would like the option. Certainly understand the need to protect the web site and respect all the care that is being taken to do this.

I am not very up on computer things - will ask my son to help when he visits again.

brdad
10-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Tat was asking for help last night and I got two emails, so I installed Trillian myself and whipped up some quick instructions for anyone who wants to try it. These instructions should log you into geocachingmaine chat with your user name automatically when you start it.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocachingmaine_chat.htm

Team2hunt
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Tried brdads link and got a sign on page (which wouldn't let me in). I have used the javaapplet for the USPS web page for years with no problem.

Any other suggestions? Not upset with this as I don't chat that often but would like the option. Certainly understand the need to protect the web site and respect all the care that is being taken to do this.

I am not very up on computer things - will ask my son to help when he visits again.

I had to add a space between the join ( and the ) #geocachingmaine and it worked for me.

hollora
10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
brdad - thank you for the bythebullet link.........I believe I can finally chat - everything installed nicely and seems to work. You do need a space as noted by team2hunt. Thanks again.