View Full Version : 2006 Maine Geocoin (Finally?)

Sudonim
10-06-2006, 12:12 AM
OK, I think I have all the info for the 2006 coin.
The discussion so far seems to be as follows:
- Most people want to see the coin trackable this year. This will add to the cost, but along with being trackable it adds another important feature. GC.com is requiring that for a coin to be advertised on their site now, it has to be trackable. The bulk of last years orders were from out of state, so that is an important consideration.

- Keep the same coin shape (round, 1.5") with the same front as last year. One (potential) issue with this design is that it incorporates the GC.com color scheme (the 4 colors in the outline of Maine) and in their policies they state that "Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo." I contacted Tess at Coins & Pins. She checked with Bryan at GC.com and he said it's OK with them. So no problem there. This front would have sequential serial numbers regardless of if we make the coin trackable or not.

- The metal finish used last year was a polished silver. I recieved samples in antique bronze and the image on both sides looked much better than the silver. An antique finish adds about $.15/coin, but looks a lot better (I think anyway)

- If we keep the front the same design, do a new back using a 3D image (like we did last year) and make the coin trackable, we can sell these coins for about $5.20 each in silver, or $5.35 in antique bronze. This is with tracking and a custom icon (instead of a generic PC icon next to a cache with one of these coins in it)

- We need artwork suggestions and submissions. I'll start by throwing out some ideas to think about.
Moose - Loon - Flyfishing - Canoeing - lobster/lobsterboat - Riverdriving (historical) - hiking - pine tree - x-country skiing or snowshoeing (with a logo like "Winter doesn't slow us down")
Kayakerinme had some suggestions too, maybe using blueberries, or a blueberry field, or maybe the WWII Liberty ships built in Portland. One he mentioned that I really like is the sign with Denmark, Peru, China, etc with the mileages on it. I have seen a pic of this sign in the photo gallery. Not a typical "Maine image" but a great caching pic! He also suggested looking at antique copper or silver for coin finishes.

I would like to open this up to a (limited time) discussion before putting anything to vote. We need to decide on:
1. Coin shape and design, same front as last year OK?
2. Coin reverse. Topic and art
3. Trackable or not? Adds to the price, but also to the desirability.

Lets discuss for a week or so and unless there are strong feelings to keep talking, put the design up for vote on Oct 15th.
I'm going to attach a pic with the silver finish next to the antique bronze. The silver is washed out looking, but it's like that in person too, another reason for an antique finish.

WhereRWe?
10-06-2006, 06:29 AM
As far as I'm concerned, everything sounds GREAT except the suggested designs. :( :(

I think this needs a LOT of discussion. :D :D

d’76
10-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I think that we should stay away from the coast scene we did that last year. THere is more to maine than the ocean. I like the Blue berry field but on a coin how would you be able to disttinguish between theat and a field. I would like to see a mountain with snow on it.:)

Glad to see this in motion, thanks Andy.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
OK,,,I'll take 5!!! LOL,,,The design is obviously the one issue that may turn out to be a sticking point --not sn issue with me personally-- but no matter what we choose this year it will be different next a year and so on. Soooooo, just because one design is selected this year does not mean that it won't be selected next year!! My point is --the moral of the story-- is individuals shouldn't get uptight if their preferred design is not chosen this year, they should lobby for their choices for next year. Only 11 more weeks to this year, not much time to get this coin out to everyone who would like some before 2007.

kayakerinme
10-06-2006, 07:33 AM
As far as I'm concerned, everything sounds GREAT except the suggested designs. :( :(

What would you suggest for designs?

Northwoods Explorer
10-06-2006, 07:34 AM
I liked all of your ideas but design is an other issue. There are very few winter coins out and around. One with an xc skier or mountain with snow on it would be nice. You had a good suggestion for a winter logo. It should be trackable and with its own icon.:D

kayakerinme
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
The nation's oldest blockhouse, Fort Halifax in Winslow: http://www.state.me.us/doc/parks/programs/history/forthalifax/index.htm and site of Hiram's Fort Halifax cache GCQNBB

North America's first ship http://www.state.me.us/doc/parks/programs/history/pophamcolony/firstship.htm

Something related to Longfellow

Something related to Chamberlain/20th Maine

Cadillac Mountain in Acadia where the first sunlight of the new day touches the US

tat
10-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I love the winter theme!

Few places can match what Maine has to offer: Nordic Skiing, Alpine Skiing, Snowmobiling, Snowshoeing, Ice climbing, Skating, winter camping and on and on!! And every one of these activities has a cache.

How about a cartoon character dressed with all of the Maine winter gear?

team teebow
10-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Mt. Katadin with its snow cap might be nice...

Team Teebow

Sudonim
10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Mt. Katadin with its snow cap might be nice...

Team Teebow

The only reason I didn't mention Katahdin was that there have been two Maine personal coins minted this summer, both with nice representations of Katahdin on them. I thought it would make a good subject for a future coin though....

Haffy
10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I have a few of Katahdin in my portfolio if you wanted to see them . Here is just one of them that I took last fall when staying at Dave1976's camp on South Twin and we went caching in the area. This one was taken coming down from Pitman Mnt with Katahdin in the background:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/KatahdinWeekend067Medium.jpg

Mainiac1957
10-06-2006, 05:23 PM
:rolleyes: but that good looking cacher on the right with the two cute dogs would look good on a coin.:D :D

Seriously though.. It all sounds good to me. I am not at all fussy about what goes on the reverse of the coin. I am just anxious to have them made. Whatever the majority decides is fine by me. The price sounds very good by the way. Thanks Andy for all your efforts and dedication to doing this again. Let me know if you need any help this year.

becket
10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Seriously though.. It all sounds good to me. I am not at all fussy about what goes on the reverse of the coin. I am just anxious to have them made. Whatever the majority decides is fine by me. The price sounds very good by the way. Thanks Andy for all your efforts and dedication to doing this again. Let me know if you need any help this year.

i agree - i really don't care what is on the coin, i would just like to have this moving along so i can order some! (and it doesn't matter to me if they are trackable or not - cameo won't let me log them anyway!) :D :D :D

hollora
10-06-2006, 06:43 PM
There are many wonderful things to put on coins - that shot of the mountain is nice. The price sounds good. I like trackable but whatever the group agrees upon. Thanks to those all for working on this project.

Cache Maine
10-06-2006, 08:37 PM
(and it doesn't matter to me if they are trackable or not - cameo won't let me log them anyway!) :D :D :D

Hey you, it is for your own good! We both know what happens when you get your hands on something that is trackable!!! :eek: :D :)

Dave and Gail
10-06-2006, 09:14 PM
As you can see by our Avatar,,,We are kind of partial of Mt. Katahdin also. We have many nice shots of the mountain,,Some with snow ,,some without. Being trackable is a good idea, and 5 or 6 dollars for a coin is not too outrageous. Of course the infamous Maine Bull moose also makes a nice touch, and the Appalachian trail is also well known for Maine. Just some suggestions and I'm sure the coins will be nice however you decide. Happy Caching to everyone,,,"Dave and Gail" and Shamis:D

Haffy
10-06-2006, 09:31 PM
So I guess the question is how will we decide what we do want on the reverse of the coin this year? Will there be a poll with suggestions or how exactly will this be all decided? Seems like from what I have read in the previous posts it really doesn't matter to most what is on the coin as long as it is done before the end of the year. If photos are needed on any subject matter I can probably oblige and come up with something, just let me know and I'll do the best I can.

Sudonim
10-06-2006, 09:35 PM
I would like to see 2 or 3 ideas that people gravitate to that we can put in a poll question. Throw out your ideas and lets see if we get some matches between people. As with last year, we can work from a photo.

Team2hunt
10-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I agree with the winter theme. Or....what about icons depicting the 4 seasons of Maine. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. Trackable and in different metals, are GREAT ideas. I'll order some, no matter what we decide to put on it. Thanks.

geohuntress
10-07-2006, 08:29 AM
I like the idea of the sign with Denmark, Peru, Norway, China, etc ; and the XC skier, "Winter doesn't slow us down."
I like round coins, antique bronze.
Yes, let's make them trackable!
Thanks for doing the work to get these coins made. :)

FuddsGirls
10-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I agree with geohuntress; antique bronze, trackable, the signpost with a cross contry skiier near by and the slogan. Great.

Haffy
10-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Here is a photo that I have of one of those signs that was mentioned that I have on file.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/cacheplaces227Medium.jpg

attroll
10-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I have seen three people post saying they don't care what it on the coin. If we have people that do not care what is on the coin then why are we going to mint another one or is it that they want a coin no matter what is on it?

Mainiac1957
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I am not as concerned as to what is on the coin as I am in having some to buy. Correct me if I am wrong , but that what was most peoples sentiment too.

becket
10-08-2006, 07:00 AM
i really don't care what is on the coin as in: we put what we all thought was important on the first coin; and as in: i really don't care what order the other suggestions are done in enough to start arguing about it. just get one made and i'll be happpy!

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-08-2006, 07:21 AM
I have seen three people post saying they don't care what it on the coin. If we have people that do not care what is on the coin then why are we going to mint another one or is it that they want a coin no matter what is on it?

WHAT!!! People don't want a coin!!?? Thats too bad because I really wanted several.

The statement I made was that I, personally, was not overly concerned about what the scene depicted on the reverse of the coin was going to be. There were --and are-- some great ideas tossed out, all of which depict Maine very well. I just hope we don't spend 10 weeks deciding what the coin should look like.

I like lots of the pictures of Katadin I've seen posted here. I've climbed Katadin so it has some sentimental value. Everytime I visit my Monster-in-laws in the "county", I'm reminded just how magnificent a "hill" it is as we drive by on I95. I like the Maine Moose, especially bar-B-Qed and every time one runs out in front of my vehicle as I'm going to the "county" I'm reminded of how majestic they are, too. I like the chickadee, takes several dozen for a good sized soup, but they do carry the title of the Maine Bird.
Too depict Maine in the summer, show a line of traffic along Route 1 and have several cars with all different State licence plates. Have one of the vehicles be a Ford Fiat pulling a 98 foot camper. If we do the coin in color, we could have all the brake lights on in all the vehicles, glaring red except for the Fiat with the 98 foot camper. And just in front of the lead vehicle have a "Construction Ahead" sign with 4 workers flagging, couple guys leaning on a shovel and the rest eating something wihile sitting on the half-track of the bulldozer..

I think I've taken too much cold medicine,,,I'm going back to bed.

I'm excited to get my Maine Geocoins and I'm sure they will be GREAT just like last years.

Thanks to everyone who makes these coins happen.

Cache On!!!!

Team2hunt
10-08-2006, 08:17 AM

Stop reading between the lines. :p What I'm sure we all meant was. Since there are so many GREAT things about geocaching in Maine. It is not important to me..what was on it. I'll order coins no matter what the decision may be. Even if Mainiac1957 and his dogs are on it. :eek: I'll order some.

Oh by the way, Thanks Andy.:D

Mainiac1957
10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Even if Mainiac1957 and his dogs are on it. :eek: I'll order some.

Oh by the way, Thanks Andy.:D

My interpretation. What Gary meant to say was "Especially if Mainiac and his dogs are on it.":p :p

FuddsGirls
10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Note to self.... Next year suggest a committee of several people to decide on the flip side of the coin and ask who wants to be on it:rolleyes: (the committee that is, not the coin) Two cute dogs or two cute kids are fine too, shows we make it a family sport.;)

hollora
10-08-2006, 07:43 PM
What I see being said is - Just Get Er Done! Before 2007 - emerges on our heels! Thanks to all who are working on this - I, too, want a few!

Team2hunt
10-08-2006, 07:46 PM
My interpretation. What Gary meant to say was "Especially if Mainiac and his dogs are on it.":p :p

I stand corrected. Those two little dogs are so cute. :p

Mainelyroses
10-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested our OTHER state bird...the blackfly!!:D :D
But seriously, all the ideas would be just great!

d’76
10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm still in favor of a winter scene and the Mountain. There are many moose in many places and many signs in lots of places but only on Mt. Katahdin.

I to will go along with the majority. We are a very creative bunch. Anything we decide will look good.:)

hollora
10-09-2006, 11:37 PM
becket and I got talking about this discussion, while caching today. We talked about the coin for 2006 and then how long for the 2007 coin?

Any thoughts to ironing out both designs together and selling them together? Sudonium - could this help us in any way or would this complicate things?

For example, do the 2006 and a 2007 (releasing this one early) and selling them together. Or if it would help with production but you don't want to sell early - hold 2007 until an early 2007 release. Then work on developing and releasing the 2008 coin by pre-holiday season 2007.

Catch up and then develop a time line. Folks will often spend their coin money early in the year or for over the holidays so we should capture on this.

JMO (Just my opinion) but by doing it this way, this year, we will develop 2 nice (yes, I know they will be super) designs and get them out.

Thanks for all the work and input by everyone!

d’76
10-10-2006, 07:34 AM
This is what I was thinking. This is the side of the Mountain that folks recogonize.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/gcmcoin.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/?start=#imgAnch1)

Cache Maine
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Here is what I came up with when a fellow cacher was working on designing his coin....he picked another design (no idea why!?!?! lol) but I thought you all might get a kick out of it. :)

PS...Maybe the idea of having a Maine child design the back of the new coin has some merit.

http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/kayakmoose.JPG

brdad
10-13-2006, 07:24 AM
PS...Maybe the idea of having a Maine child design the back of the new coin has some merit.

I think that is an interesting idea. However, I think we'd want to wait for a year that we have time to accept entries - give a month or two for them to draw their entries.

I have a t-shirt that IIRC, has a deer, moose, and a bear in a canoe.

Sudonim
10-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Here's another suggestion that might transition well to a coin. I like the Katahdin image, my only hesitation is that the only two personal coins out this year both highlight it, I was hoping for something a little different, at least for this year. If that is what people want though, we should pick the mountain.

MoxieMan
10-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I like Dave's pic of the katahdin

pjpreb
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Perhaps the State flower: white pine cone & tassel? (Which isn't actually a flower is it?) Gotta luv Maine. Perhaps a *snowy* white pine cone and tassel with a chickadee on the branch.

Hiram357
10-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Here is what I came up with when a fellow cacher was working on designing his coin....he picked another design (no idea why!?!?! lol) but I thought you all might get a kick out of it. :)

OOOH!!! OOOH!!! I CAN DO IT!! I CAN DO IT!!!!!!!! :D :D :rolleyes:

Dr Who
10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I am not claiming to be an artist, but since there have been no geocoins shown, maybe someone can fix this one:

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1948/cat/511

firefighterjake
10-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Not to get off topic here, but welcome to geocachingmaine.org Dr. Who.

attroll
10-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I am not claiming to be an artist, but since there have been no geocoins shown, maybe someone can fix this one:

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1948/cat/511

I really like that design. It needs some tweaking, but I really like it.

hollora
10-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Its got a lot in a little circle - not a graphic artist but - gotta agree - it's sort of neat.

WhereRWe?
10-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Yeah - I like the basic concept, and agree with Hollora that it's got a lot of detail in a small area - with some work it's got great possibilities. :D :D

Team Richards
10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Hello, is anyone there.. how does this work. O’ never mind I got it. Did someone say Geocoins. Sorry This is my first time in a forum. really big in here. I like most of the ideas. The sunrise on Cadillac Mtn seemed cool and Paul Bunyun look great as well. I do like the simpler coins. Maybe Paul holding an ammo can?

d’76
10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Hello, is anyone there.. how does this work. O’ never mind I got it. Did someone say Geocoins. Sorry This is my first time in a forum. really big in here. I like most of the ideas. The sunrise on Cadillac Mtn seemed cool and Paul Bunyun look great as well. I do like the simpler coins. Maybe Paul holding an ammo can?

I missed the sunrise pic on Cadillac

Team Richards
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Kayakerinme said it, way back on page 1

d’76
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Kayakerinme said it, way back on page 1

Oh thanks, Working such long days sometimes I miss the important stuff.

We did a coastal coin last year. I still vote for a more woodsy theme this year.

FuddsGirls
10-24-2006, 07:48 AM
I like that design that Dr Who suggested. Is that two little girls and Maniac's dogs on the Mmountain top?:D

attroll
10-24-2006, 12:50 PM
I took Dr Who's idea and Dave1976's Katahdin picture and created this coin.
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/2007-coin.jpg

d’76
10-24-2006, 01:40 PM

Thats the one. Lets git r done.

Nice job Rick

Is there a way that you could make it shaded toward the coin color kinda like Dr.Whos idea.

rmwllc
10-24-2006, 02:16 PM
what about 3masted schooner with with scuba diver boarding?

Beach Comber
10-24-2006, 02:17 PM
That is great, Rick!!!

brdad
10-24-2006, 02:37 PM
That looks great to me, but should it say "Maine Northern Woods"? Of course, I can't think of much better at the moment. :confused:

I do think "Northern Maine Woods" would be the correct statement if we went with it. Any teachers here?

Mainiac1957
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
I like that design Rick, nice job. I believe it's is known as The North Maine Woods. See link here (http://www.northmainewoods.org/) This would touch base on many facets of our fine state.:D

attroll
10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I like that design Rick, nice job. I believe it's is known as The North Maine Woods. See link here (http://www.northmainewoods.org/) This would touch base on many facets of our fine state.:D

I can not take all the credit. Dr Who was the one that came up with the idea for the design I just modified it. Without his idea I would not have know where to start.

Well the name your referring to Brad is the paper company land called the North Maine Woods. Do we want to change it to that title. When I created the title I was not thinking the the paper comapny land. I was thinking of Maine Northern Woods in general. I can change it if this is what we want to go with. Here are the three options.

North Maine Woods
Maine's Northern Woods
Maine North Woods

d’76
10-25-2006, 07:35 AM
So far everyone has liked the design that Rick put tweaked a bit. Why dont we run with it.

Haffy
10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
So far everyone has liked the design that Rick put tweaked a bit. Why dont we run with it.

Don't forget we have a board now that is supposed to be able to take care of things of this nature. And speaking of the board what is going on with them lately anyway? We havent heard a thing about what is happening with them since their inception. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

firefighterjake
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Sounds like a plan . . . maybe the Board will act on this design -- looks good Dr. Who/Attroll! Nice collaboration.

brdad
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Don't forget we have a board now that is supposed to be able to take care of things of this nature. And speaking of the board what is going on with them lately anyway? We havent heard a thing about what is happening with them since their inception. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

The Board is letting Andy run the coin as much as he can and is free to ask for their help if he needs it. He did a good job last year and he is probably more capable this year. As his original post stated, he was asking for ideas and said would put a vote up around Oct 15th. I'm assuming he is late since the response was slow, but I'd not be surprised if he moved on to that step soon.

As far as what the Board is doing, things have been slow but we are moving forward. Primarily it has been helping Rick with moderation issues, and learning to work together effectively. You will be hearing some official announcements as time goes on.

MoxieMan
10-26-2006, 10:04 AM

The picture looks great, but doesn't southern and central Maine have woods as well? :D

brdad
10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
The picture looks great, but doesn't southern and central Maine have woods as well? :D

Correct, and I hear the state is paying to move Mt. Katadin to Kennebunk so the Mass people don't have to drive so far to climb it. :D

Sudonim
10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I like this picture. My only question is, if we do this one, do people want this side to have color on it? The smaller details (moose) might not translate well if it is monochrome metal.

Haffy
10-26-2006, 02:23 PM
I like this picture. My only question is, if we do this one, do people want this side to have color on it? The smaller details (moose) might not translate well if it is monochrome metal.

I agree I don't think the color would be very good with the detail that is shown,plus the fact it will just add more to the cost of the coin I think,am I correct? Regarding the North Maine woods, how about just the Maine Outdoors?

MoxieMan
10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I agree I don't think the color would be very good with the detail that is shown,plus the fact it will just add more to the cost of the coin I think,am I correct? Regarding the North Maine woods, how about just the Maine Outdoors?

Haffy, I like "Maine Outdoors" much better! that gets my vote

attroll
10-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Regarding the North Maine woods, how about just the Maine Outdoors?
Personally I do not like "Maine Outdoors", but that is just my opinion. With the last coin we represented the coast with a lighthouse and now everything in this picture represents the Maine woods. Maine Outdoors in my opinion is to broad. Maybe "Maine Woods". Well that is my thought on the title. We do not have to go with my thoughts though.

As for the color I don't think we should go with color. It would be nice but you would not be able to show the details with solid colors. Also as Haffy said the more colors we have the more the coin will be. We should go with the 3D effect and us a coin that has a antique finish or something that is not shinny. The details of the lighthouse in our last coin got lost a little because we used a shinny finish. Another option to think about is filling in the outside ring with a color.

The smaller details (moose) might not translate well if it is monochrome metal.
I don't think this will be a problem. I have a small moose on the back of my coin and it came out fine. I made this moose different from the one on my coin, but I am sure they can do just as good of a job.

hollora
10-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Like the tweeked designed - leave the details to the detail man. As for the banner words - the board can probably iron this out with the input already voiced. Nice job! Thanks to all.

Zoltarus
10-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Have we considered what we should have for an Icon when the coin shows up in a Cache? How about the State of Maine Seal . . . he he

attroll
10-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Have we considered what we should have for an Icon when the coin shows up in a Cache? How about the State of Maine Seal . . . he he
That would be nice but i don't think the state of Maine would like that unless they can make money on it.

Sudonim
10-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Have we considered what we should have for an Icon when the coin shows up in a Cache?
I would think that an outline of the state would be the best for an icon (pick your favorite color fill-in, or symbol). It should be immediately recognizable as the Maine coin on a very small icon.

...and Rick, I looked at your coin and see what you mean, the small moose shows up fine.

attroll
10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
I would think that an outline of the state would be the best for an icon (pick your favorite color fill-in, or symbol). It should be immediately recognizable as the Maine coin on a very small icon.

Why not use the Geocaching Maine logo as our icon?

Zoltarus
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Something like this one?

tat
10-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I like the one on the top of the page the best!

attroll
10-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes the one that displays in the address bar would be great or one like the one that is on your desktop when you save this web site to the desktop. IE 6 and lower is weird and it does not save it properly all the time though. The new IE 7 works awesome though.

Mainiac1957
10-27-2006, 07:13 PM
IE 6 and lower is weird and it does not save it properly all the time though. The new IE 7 works awesome though.

And all this time I thought it was just my computer being stupid. You're right though. With IE7 the problem went away.;)

WhereRWe?
10-28-2006, 11:03 AM

Me too! :D :D :D

Rydnfree
10-28-2006, 03:09 PM
As a newcomer to the geocaching game,first let me tell you how much my daughters and I have enjoyed it,and my next question is where can I get some Maine Geocoins?

brdad
10-28-2006, 03:28 PM
As a newcomer to the geocaching game,first let me tell you how much my daughters and I have enjoyed it,and my next question is where can I get some Maine Geocoins?

Welcome to the addiction!
Just keep watching this thread, give your opinions, and soon you'll have your chance to order all the Maine Geocoins you want.

Sudonim
10-29-2006, 11:01 PM

What are people thinking at this point? Do we want to go with something like this, or something else. I'd like to get a design (or several) to vote on soon so that we can get this ordered before Xmas.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-30-2006, 06:16 AM
What are people thinking at this point? Do we want to go with something like this, or something else. I'd like to get a design (or several) to vote on soon so that we can get this ordered before Xmas.

I'll take Two!!!

Cache On!!

WhereRWe?
10-30-2006, 07:46 AM

Looks good, but make sure you change geocaching.com to GEOCACHINGMAINE.ORG! ;) ;)

d’76
10-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Skip the vote order them up.:D

Cache Maine
10-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Looks good, but make sure you change geocaching.com to GEOCACHINGMAINE.ORG! ;) ;)
If it's going to be trackable, I believe it has to say "Trackable at geocaching.com," or "Track at geocaching.com." I have seen the phrase written pretty small right around the number box.

attroll
10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
We have geocachingmaine.org on the front of the coin so we have to have geocaching.com on the back of the coin with the tracking number so people will know where to got to start tracking the coin. Or we can do what Cameo said in the previous statement.

WhereRWe?
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
If it's going to be trackable, I believe it has to say "Trackable at geocaching.com," or "Track at geocaching.com." I have seen the phrase written pretty small right around the number box.

OK, I understand that, but - sheesh! - we need to have geocachingmaine.org on the coin SOMEWHERE! :p :p

attroll
10-30-2006, 12:14 PM
OK, I understand that, but - sheesh! - we need to have geocachingmaine.org on the coin SOMEWHERE! :p :p

We do Bruce. It is on the front.

WhereRWe?
10-30-2006, 05:39 PM
We do Bruce. It is on the front.

Sheesh! On the OBVERSE, you mean? LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Team Richards
10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
I really like that design. That will be a very nice coin, great job. This may have been covered eariler, but I'll ask it anyhow. Is the plan to have a icon?

d’76
10-30-2006, 10:34 PM
The coin looks great. Could we consider using the water image that came with the mountain pic so that maybe the water isnt so loud on the coin. Just a thought. I like it either way.

attroll
10-31-2006, 03:55 AM
The coin looks great. Could we consider using the water image that came with the mountain pic so that maybe the water isnt so loud on the coin. Just a thought. I like it either way.
I don't think the water will be loud if we are going to have it in 3D design because it will be like the lighthouse and will be raised and no colors. That is of course if that is how we all decide on it.

d’76
10-31-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't think the water will be loud if we are going to have it in 3D design because it will be like the lighthouse and will be raised and no colors. That is of course if that is how we all decide on it.

Good point. I forgot that there was no color on the back. Thats what I get for not paying close enough attention. DUH!:D

Thanks Rick

d’76
11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
So is it possible now to get the coin in 2006, since it is November and that means only 2 months or should we just put 2007 on the coin and skip 06.

How is all the hard stuff with the coin going Andy???:)

Sudonim
11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
So is it possible now to get the coin in 2006, since it is November and that means only 2 months or should we just put 2007 on the coin and skip 06.

How is all the hard stuff with the coin going Andy???:)

I've sent the picture Rick did to Coins&Pins to see what the monochrome rendition would look like, waiting for Tess to send back the artwork. I'm hoping that this is still a realistic goal for 2006 and that we can get stuff out by Xmas, but not sure. I'll post the artwork when I get it.

Cache Maine
11-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Thank you Andy for everything. You are the best!

attroll
11-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Andy

Brad brought up a good point in post number #57. The name across the top of the coin right now says "Maine North Woods". I think it will be fine but wanted to bring this to your attentions again. I replied to it with my intentions in post #58, but that is just how I was thinking when I designed it. I want to make sure that this is what we want to go with.

brdad
11-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Andy

Brad brought up a good point in post number #57. The name across the top of the coin right now says "Maine North Woods". I think it will be fine but wanted to bring this to your attentions again. I replied to it with my intentions in post #58, but that is just how I was thinking when I designed it. I want to make sure that this is what we want to go with.

The only other thought I came up with was "Maine Wilderness", but time is running out and no one has spoken out with strong dissapointment for "Maine North Woods".

TeamKozmo
11-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Personally, I think serious consideration should be given to having the coin done in color. The coins I've seen in monochrome just don't show the detail very well. I would be willing to pay a couple of extra $$ if it was in color.

As for "Maine North Woods", that just doesn't sound quite right. "Maine Wilderness", "You can't get there from here"

Sudonim
11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
We can get a final wording changed easily. I just wanted to get a mockup of what the coin would look like, something we can vote on for the basic design.

tat
11-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Some other thoughts for the wording:

- Maine's North Woods

- Dirigo

attroll
11-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Personally, I think serious consideration should be given to having the coin done in color. The coins I've seen in monochrome just don't show the detail very well. I would be willing to pay a couple of extra $$ if it was in color.

As for "Maine North Woods", that just doesn't sound quite right. "Maine Wilderness", "You can't get there from here"
Personally I would like to see it done in color too, but I don't know if the coin committee with give use that option.

Sudonim
11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Personally I would like to see it done in color too, but I don't know if the coin committee with give use that option.

Color art requested to Coins & Pins...
I'll post when I get it back.

Yeehawma
11-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Will these be ready for Christmas? I have stockings to fill.....

Sudonim
11-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Will these be ready for Christmas? I have stockings to fill.....

I sure hope so, waiting for the artwork, so we can vote yea or nay and get the orders going.

OusKonNé
11-12-2006, 11:46 PM
When your new Maine Geocoin will be available, please let me know and if you agree, I will add it on my "Where to buy your Geocoins" list on the Quebec Geocaching Forum:
http://www.geocaching-qc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3017

Best regards,

Luc (OusKonNé)

Zoltarus
11-14-2006, 02:25 AM
If we are allowed to make such claims, I have dibs on coin #1960 this year!!!

tat
11-14-2006, 07:44 AM
If we are allowed to make such claims, I have dibs on coin #1960 this year!!!

I think trackable numbers are alpa-numeric and assigned by GC.com Perhaps Andy can confirm.

attroll
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I think trackable numbers are alpa-numeric and assigned by GC.com Perhaps Andy can confirm.
Well it all depends. I know you can get assigned number like ME0000 and things of that nature if they have not been taken already. That is something Andy will have to look into.

noreasta
11-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Well I certainly like Northwoods Explorer's Idea of a winter theme, If I have my choice It would be a ICE FISHING TRAP with a fish or shack or something to that effect.. GOOD IDEA on the WINTER THEME

Sudonim
11-18-2006, 12:21 AM
OK, I finally heard back from Tess at Coins & Pins.
Here's the tentative design.
I really like the way the mountain came out and the tree too.

Tess recommends:
-the back of the coin is done in 2D
-due to the level of detail in the Paul Bunyon statue, it is in 3D, no color
-the water can be done in translucent blue with a ripple texture behind it, or done with blue sparkles in it

The "maine northern woods" logo (or something else) needs to be decided on.
Tess put on '2007' instead of '2006'. At this point, I'm not sure what to go with. Here's the time crunch: 2 weeks from today (Friday) Tess and her husband are leaving for 1 month. If the design isn't in place and the order made, it (may) push the order back 1 month, into Jan. I don't know if 1 week to finalize design and 1 week to get the orders in is realistic or not. If not, do we still call this a 2006 coin? I am still hoping for a pre-Christmas ship, but not sure if that can happen.

Rick, in response to the serial numbers, the 'me' prefix is still available, Tess checked for us.

Inputs?

attroll
11-18-2006, 01:47 AM
I feel there is not big deal if it is 2007. If we hurry this along it may not be what we want.

Haffy
11-18-2006, 10:00 AM
I agree we shouldn't hurry this,just make it 2007,it's no big deal. Besides, where does it state we have to make a new coin EVERY year. Let's be different and have a new coin EVERY OTHER year and that would make them even more collectable. JMHO

Yeehawma
11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh, I was so hoping that Santa would be adding these to stockings this year, but hey, Christmas will come in 2007, too. You folks did a great job with the last one, I'm sure this one will be just as wonderful whether it is in 06 or 07. Thanks for taking on this project!

Zoltarus
11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
I like the tree too,
Paul Bunyon in 3D sounds good
my vote is for translucent blue with a ripple texture behind it

I also like the antique finish coin you had from last year.

I like the idea of 2007 then we have all year to work on the 2008. . . or two years if we go with odd numbered years only. Personally I think it would be cool if we did one every 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42 years since most of my coins have been LOST.

Will we have both tracking numbers on the "Back" and
Coin Numbers on the Front (same as laste year).

becket
11-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Personally I think it would be cool if we did one every 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42 years since most of my coins have been LOST. :D :D :D that's too funny! i'm LOST, too!

firefighterjake
11-21-2006, 08:29 AM
I like the tree too,
Paul Bunyon in 3D sounds good
my vote is for translucent blue with a ripple texture behind it

I also like the antique finish coin you had from last year.

I like the idea of 2007 then we have all year to work on the 2008. . . or two years if we go with odd numbered years only. Personally I think it would be cool if we did one every 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42 years since most of my coins have been LOST.

Will we have both tracking numbers on the "Back" and
Coin Numbers on the Front (same as laste year).

Or we could do it just on "prime" years to really make a statement. :D

Hiram357
11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Or we could do it just on "prime" years to really make a statement. :D

how bout every year thats divisable by 3?? or we could go down the the great wall buffet and steal one of their placemats and have a coin on every year that is represented by a four legged creature.. :rolleyes: Instead of pushing for coins by year, how bout just doing them when people have the time to invest in creating them? If we make one we make one... if not oh well. :D :D :D

we3beans
11-27-2006, 12:01 PM
:D :D :D that's too funny! i'm LOST, too!

It took both posts for me to figure out what the heck you 2 were talking about.
I don't get that channel, but my mom gave us the first season on DVD for Christmas...
Yes, I'm serious, I don't get that channel...sheesh and John works for the cable company (the cable stops about 1 mile from the house!).

LisbonFD501
12-01-2006, 08:17 AM
I like it when ever it comes out. Cant wait to get one. Can I get any of the other years? Are they still around?

Haffy
12-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I like it when ever it comes out. Cant wait to get one. Can I get any of the other years? Are they still around?

I might have a spare one kicking around somewhere,if you can ever get to an event I'll make sure to to bring one for yah,it will cost you though.....;)

WhereRWe?
12-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I might have a spare one kicking around somewhere,if you can ever get to an event I'll make sure to to bring one for yah,it will cost you though.....;)

I've got one I'll let you have for less that Haffy's! ;) ;)

drbugman
12-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Deal me in!

Cache Maine
12-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Deal me in!

Hey, it's Drbugman! We miss you up here in this neck of the woods! Hope all is well with you.

d’76
12-17-2006, 08:15 AM
So ANdy,

How are things coming with the coin :)

Sudonim
12-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Waiting for Tess to get back from vacation, need to tweek the coin design she did. I think she's back the week after xmas.

d’76
12-17-2006, 01:50 PM
thanks andy

Rydnfree
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
whats new with the Maine Geocoin,I'm going To Arizona soon and wouldn't mind having one to leave.