View Full Version : An Association?

WhereRWe?
11-23-2004, 07:04 PM
I think that most "regulars" in these forums and on this site are from the central Maine area, so it's as good a place as any to bring up this subject. Is any one interested in going a step further and setting up an organization such as a Central Maine Geocaching Association? In my internet travels, I've seen many local geocaching organizations - looks like they have a lot of sun - and I'm all for that.

We could have nominal dues, establlish a CMGA logo and/or icon, we could create our own geocoins (although not loggable on geocaching.com), have "bumblebuttons" create a custom pin for our members...

Any discussion/comments?

Here's what I saw that got me thinking about this:

http://web-ling.com/geocaching/ntgalogo.gif

(Oh - and we;d have to have MEETINGS! (Beer & Wings, Wine & Cheese, Coffee & Donuts, even...)

Cache Maine
11-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Sounds catchy...

*thinking*

how about an online "today's cacher" type newsletter?

or association only caches...

parmachenee
11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
You mean that rumor IS true!! There ARE two Maines!! :D

Beach Comber
11-23-2004, 10:29 PM
I think having an organization would be fantastic, but would be disappointed if it were limited only to Central Maine.

There are a number of active cachers in other parts of the state, both North and South. Would people be willing to consider a Maine organization, in general rather than starting with geographic areas? Perhaps if the organization became too big and unwieldy it could then be split into regions.

Having a single organization might also help to move the cache events around the state - at least that is what seems to have been of interest as discussed at recent events.

attroll
11-24-2004, 02:15 AM
I like the idea. But why do we need to have a new name. This was something that I knew would come down the line sooner or later. I knew we would have some success after we put a web site together and did a couple of cache events. Not that it would not have happened without the web site anyway. But that was one of the main reasons what I was trying to emphasize creating the name of the web site to something like Maine Geocachers.org instead of Geocaching Maine.org. This way we could have used the name Maine Geocaching Organization. This way we could have used www.mainegeocaching.org (http://www.mainegeocaching.org/) for the web site. But at the time no-one wanted that name. I tried to point out this might happen but I guess I was the only one that was thinking ahead and no one would listen to me. If we do this why not make this web site part of the organization and use the new logo for this web site. We could change the name of the web site to match the name of the organization too.

I am not downing the idea just pointing something out. If this comes to be I don’t think we should make this group just for Central Maine. We would be isolating it to just Central Mainers. So does the mean Beach Comber could not be part of it because she is in southern Maine. Why not make it all of Maine. Dues would be fine as long as it would not be too much. We would have to do the following:

Decide what the dues are for.
Register the group as a non-profit organization.
Decide where the meeting places would be.
How often we would have meeting.
Elect officers.

Cache Maine
11-24-2004, 08:28 AM
I like the idea of incorporating it with this website. It could still be it's own thing...but for cachers to check in and update, they would come here.

Ohhh...Ohh...I know it's NOT about the numbers, but how about a Maine Cacher Stat page?

WhereRWe?
11-24-2004, 09:32 AM
I think having an organization would be fantastic, but would be disappointed if it were limited only to Central Maine.

There are a number of active cachers in other parts of the state, both North and South. Would people be willing to consider a Maine organization, in general rather than starting with geographic areas? Perhaps if the organization became too big and unwieldy it could then be split into regions.

Having a single organization might also help to move the cache events around the state - at least that is what seems to have been of interest as discussed at recent events.

I'm looking at the idea geographically - as most states have regional geocaching associations. I'd like to have meetings - they need not be more than quarterly - at which we get a regular membership. If people think that members of a statewide group would gather regularly, I'm all for it. I'm just wondering if cachers from "south of Portland or north of Lincoln" would want to travel to a central location repeatedly. And I for one would rather have local meetings than try and spread them out - Portland one time, Lewiston the next, Bangor after that...

Hey - I opened the idea up. Lets keep the discussion going. We basically already have an organization with this web site. (And why couldn't "The Association" simply be called "Geocaching Maine" - geocache being a verb...)

attroll
11-24-2004, 10:13 AM
I don't think I would join if it was going to be for Central Maine. I am not in Central Maine. I would like to join though. Why not make the meetings a geocache event. This way it also encourages people to come. Plus you would not have to have it in places in Central Maine all the time. I not saying have the meetings in places like Fort Kent. We could set a limit to how far though. But we could not do them in Bangor all the time. We could do them in between like Lewiston, Bangor area and maybe a little bit further. This would cover the middle of the state and people from Portland would could not attend the meetings that we so far away. They could wait for the closer ones if we were going to do it once a quarter.

Pooh and friends
11-24-2004, 11:07 AM
I think that Geocaching Maine is fine just like it is. Why fix it if it aint broke.

You already have a lot going on, the cookouts/cache events, the gatherings for wings n beer, day trips and campouts to name just a few. From past experience the more complicated a group becomes the harder it is to do the things you want with out a lot of red tape. I haven’t had any luck making it to the events in the past year but from all the postings it sounds like there are some excellent people in this group putting in a lot of hours making it (Geocaching Maine) happen.

WhereRWe?
11-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I don't think I would join if it was going to be for Central Maine. I am not in Central Maine. I would like to join though. Why not make the meetings a geocache event. This way it also encourages people to come. Plus you would not have to have it in places in Central Maine all the time. I not saying have the meetings in places like Fort Kent. We could set a limit to how far though. But we could not do them in Bangor all the time. We could do them in between like Lewiston, Bangor area and maybe a little bit further. This would cover the middle of the state and people from Portland would could not attend the meetings that we so far away. They could wait for the closer ones if we were going to do it once a quarter.

I'm easy to get along with. I'l go along with about anything. I just think we need a little bit of organization so that we can have a "central committee" planning geocaching events, not "catch-as-catch-can" like they've been done in the past. The pervious events have been excellent, but they were due to a couple of individuals putting out a lot of effort. We can't keep counting on INDIVIDUALS to host events. We all seem to like them, and we all seem to be looking forward to the next one.

I just think that we need to move to the next step - from a web site where a group of cachers drop in once in a while to a formal organization.

ATTROLL - can you make a banner out of the Geocaching Maine logo at the top of the page - sort of like the one in the link in my original nessage - or like the banner I use as my avatar?

attroll
11-24-2004, 01:11 PM
WhereRWe?

Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you and after reading your reply. I agree it should not be a cache event. But I still think it should not be isulated to Central Maine.

I designed a little banner real quick. I did this in about 15 minutes so it may not be a very good one. I did not know what you wanted for wording. Let me know what you want and I can change it.

WhereRWe?
11-24-2004, 05:20 PM
WhereRWe?

Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you and after reading your reply. I agree it should not be a cache event. But I still think it should not be isulated to Central Maine.

I designed a little banner real quick. I did this in about 15 minutes so it may not be a very good one. I did not know what you wanted for wording. Let me know what you want and I can change it.

As I said, I'm easy to get along with regardless of what RULOST2? tells you.

My only reason for suggesting a "central Maine" organization was that I thought it would be easier to get members to a meeting if it were a fairly regional group.

I like the banners - my only suggestion would be to drop the "organization", and just call the group "Geocaching Maine".

attroll
11-24-2004, 08:55 PM
We could still have a Organization and just meet in Central Maine. Just a thought. I have not heard much from anyone else.

attroll
11-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I added something to the banner. What do you think? Should I stick with the white background?

Hiker Twins
11-25-2004, 01:03 AM
I think that Geocaching Maine is fine just like it is. Why fix it if it aint broke.

You already have a lot going on, the cookouts/cache events, the gatherings for wings n beer, day trips and campouts to name just a few. From past experience the more complicated a group becomes the harder it is to do the things you want with out a lot of red tape. I haven’t had any luck making it to the events in the past year but from all the postings it sounds like there are some excellent people in this group putting in a lot of hours making it (Geocaching Maine) happen.

I think I have to agree with Pooh and Friends.

WhereRWe?
11-25-2004, 08:41 AM
I added something to the banner. What do you think? Should I stick with the white background?

Wow! I like that! Why don't you put it up as a poll question - along with the other examples - and see what people think? My gut feeling is that a lot of people don't follow these threads...

Bluegrass Gyrl
11-25-2004, 08:43 AM
I really like the latest banner effort attroll! I like the title Maine Geocaching Organization better though....seems to make more sense "syntax-wise"! :D

brdad
11-25-2004, 12:33 PM
I like the banner...

As far as the assosiation, I have to agree with Pooh. The assosiations seem to help most when there needs to be a lot of organization as far as working with the parks and other local authorities as far as cache placement. I don't think that's a big enough issue that we can't handle as the group we are at the moment, and hope it never comes to the point where we need to take a ranger with us to place caches as it is in some places.

In order for either method to work, we need to keep in touch with as many of each other as possible, especially those who would not pay attention to these forums or an assosiation, and educate them when we have the opportunity.

attroll
11-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Here is another neat logo I was playing with. What is does when it is posted on a site is shows the stats of the web site. Each time the stats change the logo changes to match the stats. When another new post is posted or a new member signs on the stats in the logo change.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/signatures/signature.jpg

attroll
11-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Here is another neat logo I was playing with. What is does when it is posted on a site is shows the stats of the web site. Each time the stats change the logo changes to match the stats. When another new post is posted or a new member signs on the stats in the logo change.

I had to change this type of graphic with the data. If I left it the way it was it would have put to much of a load on the server. I fixed it so that it only updates every 15 minutes.

brdad
11-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Can it link back to this site?

Haffy
11-26-2004, 10:48 AM
:) Hey folks,finally back in Maine after a 3 week or so hiatus to South and North Carolina visiting my sister who is being hospitalized and is improving everyday now. I tend to agree with Pooh and some of the others about having a Central Maine organization. Do we really need such organization? I think the numbers are not really there to be begin with,heck we would all be officers and not have any members....lol. I think the core group of Maine cachers we have are the best and we are quite active in this forum and try and keep each other informed as to what is going on. I just love the last banner that you made Rick. I think even once an hour or even once a day would be plenty to update the stats on the banner don't you think? There was mention of having an event in the Central Maine area and I think that we all forget that the Geochicks have been having an annual event in Augusta these past 2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed meeting new and old friends there despite the rain. They have done an excellent job hosting that event.There has also been another event at Agamenticus, the CITO event each year that I havent been able to attend but know some of the northerners have made.So all in all, even without a a so-called organization there seems to be organization amongst this membership just as it stands. Well just my 2 cents!!!! Hope to see my old buds out caching soon...... Haffy

attroll
11-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Can it link back to this site?I think the only way it can be done is manually. Because you are pulling the save graphic from the following link:

You would have to set that up where ever you put it on the web page or in the message you posted when you post. Like in this message right below.

What this is actually suppose to do is the server every 15 minutes updates the graphic and puts the correct information in it. Or it depends on how often I set it to update. As of right now I can not get it to work correctly. I contacted my server guy and asked him why it is not updating. I am waiting for a reply now.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/signatures/signature.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/)

WhereRWe?
11-26-2004, 02:32 PM
:) Hey folks,finally back in Maine after a 3 week or so hiatus to South and North Carolina visiting my sister who is being hospitalized and is improving everyday now. I tend to agree with Pooh and some of the others about having a Central Maine organization. Do we really need such organization? I think the numbers are not really there to be begin with,heck we would all be officers and not have any members....lol. I think the core group of Maine cachers we have are the best and we are quite active in this forum and try and keep each other informed as to what is going on. I just love the last banner that you made Rick. I think even once an hour or even once a day would be plenty to update the stats on the banner don't you think? There was mention of having an event in the Central Maine area and I think that we all forget that the Geochicks have been having an annual event in Augusta these past 2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed meeting new and old friends there despite the rain. They have done an excellent job hosting that event.There has also been another event at Agamenticus, the CITO event each year that I havent been able to attend but know some of the northerners have made.So all in all, even without a a so-called organization there seems to be organization amongst this membership just as it stands. Well just my 2 cents!!!! Hope to see my old buds out caching soon...... Haffy

I don't think ANYONE has forgotten the great - and quite wet this year - events the Geochicks held in Augusta. But jeeze, Haffy! Those were MONTHS ago! :D

attroll
11-26-2004, 02:51 PM
I would love to see our Maine Geocachers get organized and become a organization. But as someone else has meantioned. We are a very small group right now. Once we become larger then maybe we can look into it. Maybe we should wait a little longer and see what we get for turn outs at events and on this web site and go from there.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/signatures/signature.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/)

pjpreb
11-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Did someone say beer & wings? :D

attroll
11-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Did someone say beer & wings? :D
The wife and I have been talking about putting together something like a Beer and Wings event here in the Lewiston Auburn area this winter. But we can not do it until after the Xmas. Then the weather plays a big factor in it. The other factor for us is that this is the middle of snowmobile season so it would have to be a Sunday for us.

WhereRWe?
11-27-2004, 10:03 AM
The wife and I have been talking about putting together something like a Beer and Wings event here in the Lewiston Auburn area this winter. But we can not do it until after the Xmas. Then the weather plays a big factor in it. The other factor for us is that this is the middle of snowmobile season so it would have to be a Sunday for us.

OK - then set a date!
:D

attroll
11-27-2004, 10:19 AM
I will talk to the wife when she comes home tonight from work and see if we can come up with a date and a place where it can be held and post it as soon as we come up with something.

Mainiac1957
11-27-2004, 01:34 PM
I have been following the thread since it started. I am willing to help an association form if that's the direction everyone wants to head. There are a lot of cachers in this immediate area who come on to the website and sign up only never to be heard from again. An actual sit down and chat face to face may be worse. I'd like to think it wouldn't. There is definitly a "core group" who would be there for most every meeting or get together or whatever you would call it. And a much larger group who would rarely if ever show up. Those of you who know me personally know that I'd be there come hell or high water. I will be willing to assist in organizing some kind of e-mailing to people to see if there is any interest in an association. That way the cart won't be in front of the horse. As usual these are just my opinions. And Rick as usual you've made a really neat banner/counter. I like it with the contour lines on it. Good job! :D Beer and wings......mmmmmmmm! I'll see you there.

attroll
11-27-2004, 08:48 PM
I think I have this working now. It should update ever 15 to 20 minutes. Providing of course that there is a change in the stats.

For those that want to us this in there signatures on other sites or where ever. You can cut and paste the coded listed below into most messages posted in forums on web sites. It will not work if the forums do not support images in their messages.

Cache Maine
11-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I might have some connections when trying to find a location in the L/A area for a winter event. Give me a date and I'll be happy to check availability.

attroll
11-27-2004, 11:53 PM
I live in Litchfield which is only 8 miles from L/A. So I could work with your friends on this. As for a date. It is hard to make a commitment. We have so much going on. It would have to be sometime after Xmas. I am not going to commit to this date yet for several reasons. I need to make sure that the super bowl cache event is not going to be held again in Brunswick. I do not want to interfere with their event. But I was thinking maybe somewhere around the 9th of January.

WhereRWe?
11-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I live in Litchfield which is only 8 miles from L/A. So I could work with your friends on this. As for a date. It is hard to make a commitment. We have so much going on. It would have to be sometime after Xmas. I am not going to commit to this date yet for several reasons. I need to make sure that the super bowl cache event is not going to be held again in Brunswick. I do not want to interfere with their event. But I was thinking maybe somewhere around the 9th of January.

If you have any influence with them - and if they do plan on having another Super Bowl event - see if you can get them to make it on a Saturday instead of Super Bowl Sunday. A lot of people are probably like me - they entertain that day and it is very awkward to try and get a cache event in also - especially if you have to travel a ways...

THANKS! :D

Geochicks
11-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I don't think ANYONE has forgotten the great - and quite wet this year - events the Geochicks held in Augusta. But jeeze, Haffy! Those were MONTHS ago! :D

We thought that everyone would like a little... rain to go with the caching!

WhereRWe?
12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
I think that if we set up an event in the next 3-4 months, it would be a good time to discuss this "association thing". If we decide to go with it, it's a great time to pin people down as to participation. I wouldn't be much good at helping for a Lewiston/Auburn event, but I'll volunteer RULOST2? for an event in the Waterville/Skowhegan area (just kidding - she'd kick my butt...)

I make a motion we table this until the next event - except for discussion, of course. (We bureaucrats love parlimentary procedure...)

Haffy
12-01-2004, 07:40 PM
And I move that we make Bruce the official parlimentarian. Anyone second that motion?.....LOL

Beach Comber
12-01-2004, 09:37 PM
you betcha!

Mainiac1957
12-01-2004, 10:39 PM
I just wanted to chime in for no apparent reason. :D

WhereRWe?
12-02-2004, 08:08 AM
I just wanted to chime in for no apparent reason. :D

Then we'll appoint you as the guy who always attends meetings just to complain. We call them "ankle biters".

:D

brdad
12-02-2004, 08:33 AM
I guess I'm going to just chime in now too, since I am so confused as to Which of the 3 "The Stand" caches I have done and have fogotten what this topic was originally about.. As far as I see it, I found "The Stand" cache container, which was missing, but it's not really missing it's just at "The Stand With a View" location. But, I didn't find it at "The Stand With a View" location, nor did I find it at "The Stand II" location, which was what I was looking for when I found it, but at the location of "The Stand" cache, because the Cachemate file I had had the coordinates for the oringal "The Stand" cache, not "The Stand II" cache, which I thought I was looking for. So, now it seems I have to go find "The Stand With a View" container, which I have actually allready found, but at "The Stand" location. Plus, if I decide I can double log a cache, I can go find "The Stand II" cache, which I have not found, but was looking for with the wrong coords when I found "The Stand".
Hmm, maybe I should have logged both a DNF and a find on that cache?

WhereRWe?
12-02-2004, 09:34 AM
You want us to appoint a committee to look into this? :cool:

Haffy
12-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey Brdad,this sounds like the plot to a Stephen King novel "The Stand" LOL

Beach Comber
12-02-2004, 03:18 PM
brdad's confusion and concerns should clearly go before the Geocaching Board - this might help to determine if the cache has been established, re-established, and re-re-established according to current geocaching placement rules and regulations. I am also very concerned that daddy-o may not have logged a DNF when he should have - a clear violation of the "Oath of the Geocacher".

:p hehehehe

parmachenee
12-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I think brdad really needs to make a "stand" here!! :D :D

Team Trout
12-02-2004, 04:41 PM

Like Hiker Twins and brdad, I agree with Pooh and friends. Do we really need an official organization? Sound like a lot of extra complication for what is supposed to be a fun pasttime. Regular dues, regular meetings, etc.... Sounds like a lot of commitments to be lived up to. I do this for fun and if it starts to become a hassle and complicates my already over complicated life, I want no parts of it.

What's next? The super secret club handshake? :p

Beach Comber
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
You don't already know the handshake? Yikes! I thought that was a requirement to join this website ;)

parmachenee
12-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I have to agree with Team Trout and Pooh and Friends. I geocache because I can do it WHEN I WANT TO without time commitments and restraints. I also do it for the enjoyment and ,of course, THE NUMBERS!! :D When I left teaching I swore off meetings...they singlehandledly stifle more creativity and potential than any other single reason. Informal geocaching events have been enjoyable and informative and seem to be working for us right now. A few people have taken on the responsibility for those events, but I'm sure others will gladly offer help if new events are planned. Regular meetings and dues go against my 60's influence. I WILL meet any of you at the next cache though. :)

WhereRWe?
12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Like Hiker Twins and brdad, I agree with Pooh and friends. Do we really need an official organization? Sound like a lot of extra complication for what is supposed to be a fun pasttime. Regular dues, regular meetings, etc.... Sounds like a lot of commitments to be lived up to. I do this for fun and if it starts to become a hassle and complicates my already over complicated life, I want no parts of it.

Hello?

As well as there are people who are NOT "joiners", there are many people who like the increased activity associated with a formal organization. And the only objection to the idea that I see as valid is the idea of a "central Maine" group.
I agree that there are many "regulars" in this forums and at the recent cache events who are not from "central Maine", and I agree that any organization should not be structured so as to exclude them.

Where does it say that you can't be a geocacher if you don't join an organization? This thread is about the IDEA of forming an association. Not whether you personally want to join or not.

I'm interested in local history, but I'm not a member of the local historical society.

I like to fish but I'm not a member of Trout Unlimited.

I like to hunt but I'm not a member of the NRA.

Ad nauseum...

Sheesh! Lighten up! I don't think anyone is talking about replacing the Geocachingmaine website with a formal, sitdown organization.

The idea of an "association" is a valid idea. If one is established, and you don't want to join, DON'T. We'll still love you... And we'll let you put your travel bugs in our caches, too.

Damn. I'm getting a headache...

parmachenee
12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
If one is established, and you don't want to join, DON'T. We'll still love you... And we'll let you put your travel bugs in our caches, too.

So I won't have to learn the secret handshake?? :)

Mainiac1957
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
If it's a secret when will I know it? :rolleyes:

Pooh and friends
12-02-2004, 09:29 PM
If it's a secret when will I know it? :rolleyes:

When you decide to pay your dues. :confused: Make your check payable to the Central Maine Caching Commission. :p

Geochicks
12-02-2004, 09:32 PM

Yeah, I vote for club milkshakes!! That sounds really yummy!! :eek:

RanMan22
12-03-2004, 07:23 AM
I think brdad really needs to make a "stand" here!! :D :D

Or maybe he needs to TAKE "the stand"....

-RanMan22

Cache Maine
12-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Ha, Ha, Ha, here we go.

The Stand-taken by MDOT, found replaced by brdad & msteelee

The Stand II-replacement for The Stand before it was returned, original page updated, location moved slightly, new container (original container still missing)

The Stand "With A View"-completely new cache, just happens to use the original The Stand container that MDOT had returned.]

Brdad, if you want, you can find The Stand II, new location, new container and The Stand "With A View", ummm...all new cache, just the same container. At least you'll know what to look for! LOL!!! :D

WhereRWe?
12-03-2004, 09:17 AM
So I won't have to learn the secret handshake?? :)

Well, let me have a couple of FTF's and I'll show you...

parmachenee
12-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Ha, Ha!! :D WhereRWe?....I'll let you have all the FTF's Cameooooo places in your area!! :D :D

Team Trout
12-03-2004, 10:42 AM
....Where does it say that you can't be a geocacher if you don't join an organization? This thread is about the IDEA of forming an association. Not whether you personally want to join or not.
Sheesh! Lighten up!

WhereRWe,

You're right I don't have to join. I understand that. I may not have explained myself clearly, but I certainly never meant to say that I or anyone would have to stop geocaching because of any of this.

And as for lightening up, perhaps you might look in the mirror. I'm sorry you think that I'm not being light here. I was trying to be, especially with the comment of a secret handshake. I just don't like the organization idea. I never meant to upset anyone. One shouldn't post ones ideas if one doesn't want anyone to express their opinions about them.

WhereRWe?
12-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Ha, Ha!! :D WhereRWe?....I'll let you have all the FTF's Cameooooo places in your area!! :D :D

Gotta watch out for Haffy, though. Seems like the only FTF's I get lately are the caches he puts out. LOL! He just gets up too early in the morning...

WhereRWe?
12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
WhereRWe,

And as for lightening up, perhaps you might look in the mirror. I'm sorry you think that I'm not being light here. I was trying to be, especially with the comment of a secret handshake. I just don't like the organization idea. I never meant to upset anyone. One shouldn't post ones ideas if one doesn't want anyone to express their opinions about them.

Well, for a couple of FTF's, I'll show you the secret handshake as well.

Anyway, very few people seem enthusiastic about the idea, so I guess I'll have to think of something else to generate discussions in the forums.

Wanna trade recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies? :p

Mainiac1957
12-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Yummmmm :eek: