View Full Version : Telltale Heart

Dave and Gail
10-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Well,,,Gail and I did our first night cache last night, and I must say it was awesome!!! It was called Telltale Heart,( GCYY49), placed by Zoltarus. We met up with Dave1976, Girlmate, Mainiac1957, Parmachenee and his better half, Sharon(SP??). It was a Dark night, a little moon showing, perfect for a spooky type cache.:eek: The walk in was really neat, you may want to do this with a group, and bring good flashlights. We saw a couple of deer on the walk in. Zoltarus obviously put some time and effort into this cache, and it is a perfect Halloween cache. This would be excellent for kids(not too young), and adults also. The trail gets a little spongey in places, especially with all the rain we have had, so boots might be appropriate. Follow the cache trail instructions and you will have no problem. Thanks to Zoltarus for this unique cache!! Good Job!! Of course the Pizza at Pat"s Pizza in Orono(not too far away) is always a topper after the cache. We highly suggest doing this cache if you want something out of the norm., and before the snow hits. Happy Caching to everyone,,,"Dave and Gail":)

Sudonim
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I gotta say, doing this one by yourself on a foggy night gets a little sketchy :eek:
Great cache, I had fun. I'll be guiding 3 new victims...I mean novice cachers to this one tomorrow night, along with pedalchick.

Cache Maine
10-31-2006, 08:34 AM
I'll be guiding 3 new victims...I mean novice cachers to this one tomorrow night, along with pedalchick.

Ohhhh....come right out and tell us what night your going huh? Hmmmm....the ideas that come to mind! That's the whole idea, to be a little spooky right? :D

On another note, a few of us were down caching in the southern part of the state a few weekends ago. We pulled into this rec area type facility and it was swarmed with people. Posters identifying "Haunted hay rides" and the like were all around. We pondered the fact that accessing a cache while something like this was in the works might jeopardize it so we decided to move on. I pulled into a parking spot just to look over the party once more and evaluate the situation. I rolled down the window to listen....and what do I hear? A whirring chainsaw. That was it! We were out of there!

So Sudy, I think you are pretty safe. I spook easy. Have a great time! :)

Sudonim
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
A bunch of us went to the corn maze in Corinna last week (night maze) and they had a guy jumping out of the corn wielding a chain saw, got us good :)
(Hope there was no chain on it)

hollora
10-31-2006, 08:15 PM
The Osgood Night Cache down in the China area is also very nice and has a Halloween theme. The TGIF group did this a while ago.

Zoltarus
10-21-2007, 12:02 PM
The Telltale Heart Cache has been updated in anticipation of the upcoming holiday :-O (that is if anybody is allowed out on a school night). Of course the cache is available on weekends also, and with the addition of more markers it is also possible to follow the trail in the daytime (for those of you who have not been able to muster up the courage to go 1/2 mile into a haunted forest in the dark of night). btw - there is still no sign of hippihiker and someone told me that a couple of other cachers may also be missing, so be extra careful if you go out onto the orange trail. Oh . . one more thing . . Grues are afraid of the light so do not turn off your flashlight.

hollora
10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I just love this cache. Can't wait to do it again this year.

Hiram357
10-22-2007, 07:17 AM
. . Grues are afraid of the light so do not turn off your flashlight.

..... uhhh..... ummm..... what's a Grue..... :confused: :eek: :o :confused: :rolleyes:

Zoltarus
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_(monster)

A Grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

brdad
10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
We've had this cache on our list for a long time. In fact, two or three times we planned to do it, and we either was too tired by the end of the day (it's awful to get old) or the weather was horrible, or we got stuck doing something else. Hopefully sometime soon!

firefighterjake
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
We've had this cache on our list for a long time. In fact, two or three times we planned to do it, and we either was too tired by the end of the day (it's awful to get old) or the weather was horrible, or we got stuck doing something else. Hopefully sometime soon!

Same here . . . maybe I'll grab it after work in a few weeks when the clocks roll back and it starts to get dark around 4:30 p.m. That should be as good a time as any . . . and right before Halloween.

teamdozer12
10-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Not to go off subject too much....but how are the TICKS on this cache??? We did an awesome night cache last year at this time....Double dare ya night cache! AWESOME time...but the ticks...ewwwweee! I want to take the kids this year to this one, but the ticks have me spooked already!

brdad
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I have yet to get a tick on me in my life any further north than Fairfield, an hour south of this cache. I am sure they exist and someone will confirm that, but it has not happened to me. Worrying about ticks often takes some of the fun out of southern caching. :(

tat
10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
I just got back from the cache and found no ticks on me.

Sudonim
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I found a tick on me after caching today around the Unity/Freedom area. It was still running, hadn't settled on one tasty spot yet. YUK!!

WhereRWe?
10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_(monster)

A Grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

Those of us who have been playing computer games for more than 25 years know that the "Grue" is from one of the original text based game series, "Zork" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork) (and sequels). In Zork, you had the option of going up, down, right, or left, and in many instances, you received the response "are you sure you want to to do that? You might get eaten by a Grue". And being eaten meant you had to start over from a "save point" - if you remembered to save! LOL!

I remember spending MANY hours pouring over printouts of my "adventures", trying to find where I went wrong. Text based games were great! :D :D

(I still have many of those games, if anyone wants to try them...)

Sudonim
10-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Those of us who have been playing computer games for more than 25 years know that the "Grue" is from one of the original text based game series, "Zork" (and sequels). In Zork, you had the option of going up, down, right, or left, and in many instances, you received the response "are you sure you want to to do that? You might get eaten by a Grue". And being eaten meant you had to start over from a "save point" - if you remembered to save! LOL!

I remember spending MANY hours pouring over printouts of my "adventures", trying to find where I went wrong. Text based games were great! :D :D

Ahhh... the TRS-80. No graphics, so you HAD to use text based games, or type homework or something...

WhereRWe?
10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Ahhh... the TRS-80. No graphics, so you HAD to use text based games, or type homework or something...

Sheesh! I might have know that an "Apple person" would have started with a TRS-80! LOL! I'd bet 99% of us Commodore users went with Microsoft! LOL! (And I'd bet the Commodore Amiga was the impetus for Apple's GUI !) And Double Sheesh! I've still got a box of pin-fed paper printed with the Commodore logo! LOL!

d’76
10-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I have yet to get a tick on me in my life any further north than Fairfield, an hour south of this cache. I am sure they exist and someone will confirm that, but it has not happened to me. Worrying about ticks often takes some of the fun out of southern caching. :(

We have the ever popular winter tick up here. They tend to hang out mostly on moose through the winter. But I have a pic of a moose that they are so abundant on his bare spots that it looks horrible.:eek:

Sorry Dave but I was just trying to help.

Sudonim
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Sheesh! I might have know that an "Apple person" would have started with a TRS-80! LOL! I'd bet 99% of us Commodore users went with Microsoft! LOL! (And I'd bet the Commodore Amiga was the impetus for Apple's GUI !) And Double Sheesh! I've still got a box of pin-fed paper printed with the Commodore logo! LOL!
Sorry Bruce, my next door neighbor had the TRS-80, and he's a software engineer now, PC only.
I started with the Atari 800. We splurged for the extra 16K of RAM, only $400, waddadeal! (Star Raiders Ruled!!!), Almost got a commodore, a friend had hundreds of games.

brdad
10-23-2007, 05:35 AM
We have the ever popular winter tick up here. They tend to hang out mostly on moose through the winter. But I have a pic of a moose that they are so abundant on his bare spots that it looks horrible.:eek:

Sorry Dave but I was just trying to help.

That's quite a mental image! I wonder if all those could have been killed what it would have done to the population - probably very little. As I said, I am sure they are here, but not in the numbers they are just a short ways south.

But, keeping on topic - are they as active at night while doing the Telltale heart???

Beach Comber
10-23-2007, 08:42 AM
[quote=Sudonim;36243] I started with the Atari 800. [quote]

Anyone have a Studio II ? Now THAT was good video game action - lol

firefighterjake
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I found a tick on me after caching today around the Unity/Freedom area. It was still running, hadn't settled on one tasty spot yet. YUK!!

I was wondering where my pet tick had run off to. ;) :D

d’76
10-23-2007, 02:54 PM
That's quite a mental image! I wonder if all those could have been killed what it would have done to the population - probably very little. As I said, I am sure they are here, but not in the numbers they are just a short ways south.

But, keeping on topic - are they as active at night while doing the Telltale heart???

Heres the Picture I was talking about

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/Ticks.jpg

firefighterjake
10-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Heres the Picture I was talking about

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/Ticks.jpg

Poor thing . . . made me start scratching myself just from looking at this pic.;) :D

Hiram357
10-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Those of us who have been playing computer games for more than 25 years know that the "Grue" is from one of the original text based game series, "Zork" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork) (and sequels). In Zork, you had the option of going up, down, right, or left, and in many instances, you received the response "are you sure you want to to do that? You might get eaten by a Grue". And being eaten meant you had to start over from a "save point" - if you remembered to save! LOL!

lol, i remember when the return to zork came out (it actually had pictures and video, funniest part was when you had to burn a bra to get the wire to pick the lock of a closed down shop, i'd like to know who gets paid to sit around and think of stuff like that...)

but you still didn't answer the question... what's a grue?!?!?

Zoltarus
10-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I have been out there about 30 times and have not had one tick on me yet. But I could bring some out there if that would make it more spooky for people . . he he he!

Sudonim
10-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I have been out there about 30 times and have not had one tick on me yet. But I could bring some out there if that would make it more spooky for people . . he he he!

Can you get the glow in the dark ticks? That would be great...

Haffy
10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I heard that there may be some near the Yankee Nuclear power depository down there in Wiscasset......:eek:

hollora
10-23-2007, 10:39 PM
What is sad about Tics and humans is that a few (like withing the last 10) years ago the FDA approved and a pharmaceutical company released a human vaccine for Lyme disease. It was like HepB vaccine a series of 3 shots. Perfect for hikers, woodsmen, butchers, hunters and the like.

I worked in public health doing immunizations when it was released and it wasn't a real popular vaccine. I did get the series.

Suddenly, without warning the pharmaceutical company stopped producing the vaccine. Question was why? Answer given by the Rep - "It wasn't cost effective to keep producing it, not enough people were getting it and the profit margin was not what was expected". Sort of sad in my book.

Although I have had the vaccine I am still careful of ticks. And FYI - if you are bitten and have the little sucker - and want to spend some money - they can identify its sex and also tell you if it was carrying Lyme or not.

pjpreb
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Although I have had the vaccine I am still careful of ticks. And FYI - if you are bitten and have the little sucker - and want to spend some money - they can identify its sex and also tell you if it was carrying Lyme or not.

Been there done that. Save the tick and bring it to your docs so they can send it away for testing (I put mine in one of those little ziplock bags that an extra button comes in). The tick I had was slightly larger than a fleck of pepper and they can't get conclusive results from testing something that small. The one I had was 60% +/- chance of carrying Lyme disease so they treated me with antibiotics to be on the safe side. All I had to pay was my doctor's visit co-pay.

WhereRWe?
10-25-2007, 09:30 AM
but you still didn't answer the question... what's a grue?!?!?

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_%28monster%29)...

:eek: :eek:

tazandtweetinme
10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Did the Tell Tale Heart last night and what a cache that was. Didn't come home with any tics either. But that is a great cache if you are looking for a scare. GREAT JOB!!!:0) I would recommend this to anyone who wants a little fright in their night

team moxiepup
11-11-2007, 10:57 AM
We were in the area for the WWFM event. We cached in Orono in the afternoon. As dark approached we made a pit stop at Tim Hortons for a bite to eat and a potty break. We wanted to make sure we didn't wet our pants if we got really scared.:D
This was a great cache!!! The dew on the rocks and the park bench glowed, even the cache container, which was covered in dew was reflecting back at us. We did head towards the Grue at one point ...just to tease him a bit then turned around before he could get to us.
We will definately recommend this cache to anyone going to the area. We had a great time and Zoltarus put lots of work into this cache.
No ticks found :D one advantage to caching further north.

EvilHomer
04-29-2008, 12:59 PM
This is the best cache I have ever done so far. We need more like this one.!

benandtina
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Ben and I did this cache last week and had so much fun!!! His mom and siblings are visiting us next month and would like us to introduce them to caching... I think this will be the first cache we show them. I'm a little nervous since his siblings are young (twin 8 year old boys, a 12 year old boy and a 16 year old girl) and I know I would have been scared senseless at that age, but my mother in law is confident the kids will love it so I guess we'll give it a try. As long as it goes well I think this will be an incredible introduction for them.

firefighterjake
06-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Ben and I did this cache last week and had so much fun!!! His mom and siblings are visiting us next month and would like us to introduce them to caching... I think this will be the first cache we show them. I'm a little nervous since his siblings are young (twin 8 year old boys, a 12 year old boy and a 16 year old girl) and I know I would have been scared senseless at that age, but my mother in law is confident the kids will love it so I guess we'll give it a try. As long as it goes well I think this will be an incredible introduction for them.

I'm still too scared to go myself . . . well that and usually by the time 4 o'clock rolls around I want to head home and not linger in the Big City. ;):D

hollora
06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Definitely one of my favorites.

brdad
06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I have to agree, I have been there twice. Definitely worth it, and definitely do it on a dark night!

Ekidokai
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately when I took a group out there last fall, much of it had been destroyed.

We still had a good time as I was telling them ghost stories the whole way in.

I'll go back soon.

EvilHomer
06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately when I took a group out there last fall, much of it had been destroyed.

We still had a good time as I was telling them ghost stories the whole way in.

I'll go back soon.

You should just hide out there and scare the crap out of people. Im sure you know how. Or just place a micro nearby and start WWIII all over again. :P

softball29
07-03-2009, 09:04 AM
This cache is on my radar when I come to Maine, but we'll only be spending one night in the Bangor area. So, as long as the weather is good and all, we'll likely attempt this one. If any tour guides want to join us, we'd be happy to have company... ;)

Ekidokai
07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
I'll be there too. This sounds like fun.

softball29
07-08-2009, 02:39 AM
I'll be there too. This sounds like fun.

Well, we'll be coming to Bangor on Aug. 9 (the evening of), which is a Sunday. As long as plans don't change, that is. If you are interested in possibly meeting up with us to do this one -- and if any others in this area are as well -- let me know as the time gets closer!

Ekidokai
07-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Well, we'll be coming to Bangor on Aug. 9 (the evening of), which is a Sunday. As long as plans don't change, that is. If you are interested in possibly meeting up with us to do this one -- and if any others in this area are as well -- let me know as the time gets closer!

Sounds good to me. Hope the weather cooperates.

benandtina
07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Ben and I would be up for it! We have a friend we introduced to caching we may invite along. When we told him about this one he was very interested.

masterson of the universe
07-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd be interested in doing this cache at some point during the summer if someone wants to plan a trip. As with most caching, the more people the more fun and better chances that there will be someone slower than you when trying to get away from the grue...:rolleyes:

drwhogrl
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah I would like to do this one as a group too at some point this summer :)

Ekidokai
07-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Friday night I have to do an interview. Maybe Saturday night.

benandtina
07-16-2009, 08:40 AM
We took my in laws here last night and it was awesome. My 8 year old brothers in law had a great time spotting the trail markers and competing to see who'll find the next one first. None of the kids were scared... unfortunately the same can't be said for my mother in law. Luckily she let us continue and is super happy with the fun memory :)

benandtina
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi! If anyone is still up for putting together a group, we were thinking about taking a newbie here on Thursday. He's cached with us a few times and is really interested in this one. We'd be up for changing the date if need be, but we're thinking a weeknight would be best. Let me know :)

Ekidokai
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Sounds like fun to me.Count me in.

benandtina
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Sounds like fun to me.Count me in.

Wonderful! We were thinking of meeting Thursday at 8PM at the KFC on the corner of Stillwater and College Ave, then following each other to the cache's parking area. Does that work for you?

Ekidokai
08-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes, I hope I can remember the date. That will mean I'll miss the chat on here though.

brdad
08-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Hmmmm... Chat - Telltale Heart; Chat - Telltale Heart; what to do what to do...

Telltale Heart! Chat can wait!

Have fun, be careful in the swamp!

I won't be at chat either, or will be late. but the door is always open!

brdad
08-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Hey wait - chat night is tonight, Wednesday. You can still do both!

benandtina
08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, I hope I can remember the date. That will mean I'll miss the chat on here though.

Hehe, yeah, the chat is tonight :) We're doing this on Thursday, so tomorrow! Yay!

Ekidokai
08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Please don't try to figure me out. I can't keep things straight anymore.

I waited for you guys for an hour last night. LOL

benandtina
08-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Please don't try to figure me out. I can't keep things straight anymore.

I waited for you guys for an hour last night. LOL

Please tell me you mean you waited in the chat for an hour. I'll feel horrible if you were waiting for us at the cache for an hour!

Ekidokai
08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm just kidding about that. See the LOL?

benandtina
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Haha, whew!

brdad
08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Nice logs - definitely a great cache. Anyone who has not done it is missing out on a good time.

hollora
08-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh for sure - one of my overall very favorites!

Ekidokai
08-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I sell Grue repellent.