View Full Version : Need to upgrade

FuddsGirls
11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
We presently have a Garmin Map76cs. We chose that one because of it marine applications. My husband has decided that we seem to enjoy our family time moore when we are geocaching than out on the Boat. The decision has been made to sell the boat and get a better gps. I am looking for opinions on which might be better, the 60CSX or the 76CSX.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
11-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Hmmmm, seems to me that a "better" GPSr isn't necessarily going to allow you to find more geocaches quicker or with more enjoyment. While it would be nice to have a newer GPSr, and if I were to buy one, it would likely be the 60CSx. I like the style of it and I have been told it will acquire satellites quicker and within buildings. Although, I find that I generally don't cache indoors and that acquiring satellites 10, 15 seconds or even 5 minutes faster doesn't really offer me any competitive edge as rarely am I engaged in geocaching at a competitive level. I also believe that Bluechart SD cards can be bought for marine navigation but if your selling the boat then that isn't a big concern.
You may consider a laptop too. On my laptop I have GSAK and mapsource, delormes street atlas and topo and microsoft streets. I can connect the GPSr to the laptop and have a 17 inch screen to navigate steets with. Then on long rides the kids can watch DVD's or play games. Another benefit is that you can pretty much find wireless internet everywhere and that has proven the biggest "save the day" feature I have when out geocaching.

Cache On!!!

kayakerinme
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Since the software interface and functionality is just about the same on both the 60 and 76, it really comes down to which unit you like better. If you can find someone to cache with for a couple of hours who will let you use a 60CSx (good luck prying it from their hand :o) try it and see for yourself. Then you can make a better decision about an upgrade to another 76 or swap to the 60.

tat
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you need to cache more by boat! :)

But seriously, the two units have the same size screen. The 76 floats, the 60 sinks but is somewhat water proof. The 76 has more memory, but both have plenty. Both have sd cards, so memory is only limited by the sd card(s).

The base map in any of the units is not that great and can send you the wrong way. Consider getting Metroguide or City select.

FuddsGirls
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Reaction time and ability to aquire satelites in tree cover would make things more enjoyable. I get frustrated when the kids are asking questions and I'm walking in circles. Upgrading will also alow the girls to get their grimey paws on the "older" unit instead of the one that is mine. I'll have to ride to Beans and check them both out.

WhereRWe?
11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
We've never tried the 76, but we are VERY happy with the 60csx. Have NEVER lost a signal in the woods, and while driving, have only lost a signal while going through a tunnel! LOL!

Team2hunt
11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
You had the 76 so are probally used to it's placement of the buttons. My advice is to shop around. I just helped Ordinary Shark with the same question. He looked on the internet and found it for around 350.00. I paid 399.00 for mine at EMS on sale. The software, will probally set you back another 100.00 to 125.00. Enjoy the new world of "x" treme geocaching. :p

aaronpriest
11-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, I can attest to the accuracy and speed of the 60CSx. It locks on anywhere from 5 - 45 seconds depending when I last had it on and how far I've travelled from when it was turned off. Indoors and under really dense tree foilage is downright freaky: it will lock in in less than 45 seconds usually and keep to under 50ft accuracy in the worst conditions. Under ideal conditions it is usually around 12ft accuracy. It's a major improvement in reception over the 60CS, and that was pretty good to begin with!

As with any Garmin, basemap is useless unless you are on the Interstate. I got Topo and City Navigator 8. I wish you could overlay them instead of switching between them, but it works regardless.

There aren't very many differences at all between the 60CSx and the 76CSx. You can easily upgrade the memory in the 60CSx. I got the 60CSx becuase I liked the smaller size and the button placement over the 76CSx. Also, the 60CSx has a $50 rebate right now until the end of the year. I haven't tried to see if the 60CSx floats or sinks (I've heard it doesn't sink very fast though). Both are equally as waterproof, and about the best in the industry, so... whatever floats your boat... :D

robt
11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I have played with both the 60csx and the 76c and found them to be good units. I have liked my 60csx and like the button placement. As for memory, both use a transflash memory card and I would reccomend getting a 1 gig card for either one. I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

RobT

Beach Comber
11-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I, too, have the 60CSx and so far have found it easy to use. I have only used it a few times and look forward to using it more. I will say that the accuracy when I cached last was not very good. I seemed to be off a fair amount (50') from each cache I did even though the accuracy on the unit said around 20'. I need to play more for sure.

I got mine through GPSonSale. Right now, the 60CSx is $369 with a $50 rebate and the 76CSx is only $349!!! That is the lowest price I have seen and I have been watching them for months.

If you spend time on the water, it may be better to get the 76 since it is described to have better floating capability. Either way, I think you will be happy!

Beach Comber
11-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, I can attest to the accuracy and speed of the 60CSx. It locks on anywhere from 5 - 45 seconds depending when I last had it on and how far I've travelled from when it was turned off. Indoors and under really dense tree foilage is downright freaky: it will lock in in less than 45 seconds usually and keep to under 50ft accuracy in the worst conditions. Under ideal conditions it is usually around 12ft accuracy. It's a major improvement in reception over the 60CS, and that was pretty good to begin with!

As with any Garmin, basemap is useless unless you are on the Interstate. I got Topo and City Navigator 8. I wish you could overlay them instead of switching between them, but it works regardless.

There aren't very many differences at all between the 60CSx and the 76CSx. You can easily upgrade the memory in the 60CSx. I got the 60CSx becuase I liked the smaller size and the button placement over the 76CSx. Also, the 60CSx has a $50 rebate right now until the end of the year. I haven't tried to see if the 60CSx floats or sinks (I've heard it doesn't sink very fast though). Both are equally as waterproof, and about the best in the industry, so... whatever floats your boat... :D

Couple of questions for you......

I have been looking at the maps and the Garmin site indicates that the City Navigator 8 is not compatible with the 60CSx. Doesn't look like you have had an issue with that. Any problems or comments about the program, installing, etc?

Also did you install both City Navigator and Topo onto the card that came with the unit?

Thanks!

WhereRWe?
11-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I have been looking at the maps and the Garmin site indicates that the City Navigator 8 is not compatible with the 60CSx. Doesn't look like you have had an issue with that. Any problems or comments about the program, installing, etc?

Judy,

BOTH City Navigator 8 and City Navigator NT (also edition 8) work with the 60csx. (Go to Garmin's web site (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp), click on "Product Compatability, and you'll see that the csx is listed for both). But I'd recommend City Navigator NT as this has the latest compression technique on the DVD (also 60csx compatible). And as for the remarks in red about these not updating preinstalled maps, don't worry about this unless you bought a 60csx with preinstalled City Navigator. If all you have is the basemap (standard), this isn't updated anyway.

:D :D :D

Beach Comber
11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks Bruce - I did look into these after you sent me the e-mail recently. I was reviewing each and when I searched for programs compatible with the 60CSx, I wasn't seeing them on the list. I was also looking at City Select and MetroGuide. The warning message was throwing me off as well - you must have read my mind!!! My unit is "pre-loaded" with the base stuff and I wasn't sure if that is what they were referring to. Thanks again!!

Team2hunt
11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I have loaded all of Maine and New Hampshire Topo and City Nav.v8 on my original Micro SD card. When we went to Florida I upgraded to a 1G card from Buy.com for 45.00. I now have New England Topo and the whole east coast, City Nav. on that card. I have had no problems with my 60CSx. Good luck.

aaronpriest
11-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I have no problems whatsoever with City Navigator 8 and Topo 3.02 on my 60CSx. In fact, I got City Navigator 8 as a free upgrade since I had purchased 7 within the timeframe on the coupon. I have all of Maine and some of Nova Scotia, NH, and Boston on my 60CSx without upgrading the memory yet. I just wish they would allow more than 1,000 waypoints.

I can't speak for City Navigator NT as I know nothing about it. Bruce, is there a website that explains the compression technique you were referring to?

WhereRWe?
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I can't speak for City Navigator NT as I know nothing about it. Bruce, is there a website that explains the compression technique you were referring to?

The information I was referring to was on the Garmin website under the listing for Navigator NT. Don't have any additional information on the compression scheme.

And you CAN load more than 1,000 waypoints into the 60csx - up to the amount of your memory - but you have to use Garmin's POI loader (http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/), as mentioned by someone previously in these forums. I've tried it a couple of times and it seems to work pretty good.

:D :D

Beach Comber
11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I have been receiving recommendations from a variety of directions and have also contacted Garmin. Here is the information that I got from Garmin regarding the various street navigation products.........

City Select - has already or will soon be discontinued
MetroGuide - has similar data as City Navigator, though it doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature
City Navigator and City Navigator NT - are the same product with the only difference being the compression function. I didn't get the details as to how it works, only that it compresses the data and therefore uses less storage space. There is no detectable difference from the users perspective as far as function or increased data. They are both compatible with the 60CSx and the 76CSx.

You may already know this, but thought I would share just in case.

aaronpriest
11-08-2006, 10:29 PM
And you CAN load more than 1,000 waypoints into the 60csx - up to the amount of your memory - but you have to use Garmin's POI loader (http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/)...

Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me of that program! I downloaded it and never tried it out, I shall do so very soon! :D

Dang, I should have got City Navigator NT I suppose, though they probably would not have given me a free upgrade to it from 7?

WhereRWe?
11-09-2006, 08:38 AM
MetroGuide - has similar data as City Navigator, though it doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature
[

Sounds like you DON'T want City Navigator! :D :D

Beach Comber
11-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Sounds like you DON'T want City Navigator! :D :D

City Navigator is my software of choice, has been ordered, and is hopefully on it's way - yippeeeeeeeee.

That last statement in my previous post about the products may have come out wrong. It is Metroguide that doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature.

aaronpriest
11-09-2006, 12:58 PM
It is Metroguide that doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature.

I wondered if you had read that wrong, since turn by turn works quite well with City Navigator on my 60CSx. :)

Did you get the NT version of it?

Beach Comber
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Yes, I did :D