View Full Version : Association or Organization

Haffy
11-28-2004, 06:58 PM
The poll question is, Do you think we need and association or organization or should we continue as we stand today?

WhereRWe?
11-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, since I brought up the subject to begin with, I guess I should comment.

I think some sort of formal organization is a good idea. Sure - geocachingmaine.org is a good forum and a lot of people communicate here, but a lot of people are not really active internet junkies. Some would the like the stability of a formal, periodic sit-down meeting.

And I still believe - as great as the regional caching events have been in the years or so we've been involved - that we should not depend on INDIVIDUALS to host events or other get-togethers.

Keep in mind that geocaching is EXPLODING right now as an "activity". Go to the geocaching.com's page about media articles and you'll see that many of them are about the rapid growth of the "sport" - not about geocaching itself.

And - referring to my original proposal - we do not have to have a "central Maine" organization. But we need to keep geography in mind. We could have regional "chapters" who could host regional events - open to everyone - but with specific responsibilities defined.

Ah, well... It's suppertime and RULOST2? had made Swiss Steak. I know my priorities...

attroll
11-28-2004, 10:17 PM
I think maybe we should try one sit down meeting and see how it goes. But here is what I think someone needs to do to get this meeting off the ground.

First set a date.

Get a hold of everyone that we all know of by email, phone, or snail mail. There is no overlooking anyone either if we are going to make this work. We need to biggest turn out we can get to make it successful.

Had an agenda set ahead of time of what needs to be discussed and brought up at the meeting.

Have the meeting area in a central location. Like Bangor or somewhere where the middle point would be for where the furthest caches that are coming to attend.

Team2hunt
02-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Where are we going with this? Has it just fallen thru the cracks. When we all met at the WWWWWW, we couldn't wait to get together again. The same thing with the many trips to The Tidal Cache. Thanks to those, who arranged the time and places. When are we going to get together again? Do we want to set a time to do winter friendly caching, or set a time further out for the early spring? A month from now will be mid March or early April. Can we get together somehere in the middle of the area, and do some special, or interesting finds? Along with a meeting, if necessary. Maybe we can discuss next week on " the Chat ".:cool:

Beach Comber
02-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I second the gathering idea! Brad had mentioned possibly doing something on 4/16 as it is CITO day. Perhaps he can give us an update on that idea.

parmachenee
02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
We are meeting Mainiac1957 on Saturday morning, Feb12, to do the Etna Bog cache. Anyone interested in coming along is certainly welcome. You will most likely need snowshoes. If we can drive to the parking area, it is under a half mile walk. I have an extra pair of snowshoes for anyone who wants to go but doesn't have them.

WhereRWe?
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Where are we going with this? Has it just fallen thru the cracks. When we all met at the WWWWWW, we couldn't wait to get together again. The same thing with the many trips to The Tidal Cache. Thanks to those, who arranged the time and places. When are we going to get together again?

I think that if someone sets up an event cache, there'll be plenty of attendees!

That's why we set up the WWWWWW event. There was a lot of talk but nothing concrete, so we decided to do it.

Go for it! LOL!

WhereRWe?
02-10-2005, 02:29 PM
We are meeting Mainiac1957 on Saturday morning, Feb12, to do the Etna Bog cache. Anyone interested in coming along is certainly welcome. You will most likely need snowshoes. If we can drive to the parking area, it is under a half mile walk. I have an extra pair of snowshoes for anyone who wants to go but doesn't have them.

Sheesh! I'd love to do this, but with a foot of new snow on the ground, I'd have a heart attack before I got back, and I know you wouldn't drag me back! LOL!

I've snowshoed enough times to know that it's tough. Good luck to you all!

:D

parmachenee
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
... I'd have a heart attack before I got back, and I know you wouldn't drag me back! LOL! :D

Geez Bruce...we wouldn't leave you there!! That would put the beer industry into a downward spiral they might never recover from! :D

WhereRWe?
02-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah - but...

I hope you realize how tough snowshoeing through a foot of new snow for 1/2 a mile will be! LOL!

I'd rather wait until summer and hike through the bog.

We had planned to do Etna Bog yesterday, but our feet were wet and we were planning on having lunch at the Grand Asian Buffet in Waterville after doing the other caches in the morning. After lunch, we didn't feel like doing ANYTHING.

Gotta try the Grand Asian Buffet. Wednesday special is $3.99, and even though it's BUSY, they keep the buffet really filled up. Best $3.99 lunch I've ever had...

brdad
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I did etna bog in the snow once and in the wet once. I almost say it's easier in the snow, I was just out of shape from getting over bronchitis and the winter bulge. Best time would be with frozen ground and little or no snow. It looks like a few people have found an easier path than I took either time, though.

tat
02-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Thread one:

Having an organization would allow us to raise funds to do things, like, rent a place to hold a paperless cache seminar.

Thread two:

What time and where are you meeting to do the Etna bog? I need to do that one, but I've never been comfortable with the access. This would be great to with a local guide.

Sudonim
02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I'd love to do the Etna bog with you guys, but I work on Saturdays :(
I've been putting this one off too, and my new at Christmas snowshoes are giving me dirty looks in the basement....

Mainiac1957
02-10-2005, 09:30 PM
We will be going in around 10:00 or 11:00

parmachenee
02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
With all the snow in the area, we've decided to try the Etna Bog on Sunday instead of Saturday. This may make it do-able for some others who might want to join us. We will probably attempt it in the afternoon.

tat
02-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Sunday is much better for me. Where are you going to park?

Beach Comber
02-11-2005, 07:53 PM
What time do you think you will gather?

WhereRWe?
02-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes - what time and where? I'll probably show up with snowshoes in hand. Can we get ATTROLL to pack a trail with his snowmobile before we start? :D

(No - he's going to be in Solon on his way to a fantastis Solon-Jackman trip. Probably one of the best trips in the state.)

And since Parmachenee promised to drag me out... (RULOST2? has to work of course...) I may try it. Y'all know I need the exercise...

Haffy
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Hope you guys have a really rugged litter with yah!!!.....lol :D

Mainiac1957
02-11-2005, 08:45 PM
We were talking around noonish. The problem is it's 10 miles back to newport to the Dunkin Donuts. So meeting there makes little sense. My vote is after we do the hike we go up to Dysart's in Hampden and get some of their famous homemade pie(or whatever you're hungry for) and a hot chocolate. As far as where to park, I think we will have to play that one by ear. It's exit 167 and we could meet right at the exit I guess.

Sudonim
02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Noon on Sunday, exit 167, I'll be there :eek: Looks like low 20's and sunny, should be really pretty (except for dragging that darn litter behind us...)
And let's not forget that when you order a cup of coffee at Dysart's, they put down the whole pot! (Maybe we should do that before the cache, nah, coffee jitters on snowshoes can't be a good thing)

parmachenee
02-12-2005, 08:25 AM
We were talking around noonish. The problem is it's 10 miles back to newport to the Dunkin Donuts. So meeting there makes little sense. My vote is after we do the hike we go up to Dysart's in Hampden and get some of their famous homemade pie(or whatever you're hungry for) and a hot chocolate. As far as where to park, I think we will have to play that one by ear. It's exit 167 and we could meet right at the exit I guess.

Sounds like a plan. Exit 167...there's nothing there so we can miss each other... :) ...around noon...we'll wait awhile for everyone to get there.