View Full Version : RE: How do I unzip . . .

firefighterjake
11-16-2006, 10:04 AM
That is . . . how do I unzip a zip file. Specifically I have downloaded Cachemate, but it's a zipped file and I am unsure how to unzip it for use. Clicking on it brings up a message that asks what program do I want to use to unzip it . . . anyone have any suggestions for someone that is a mere two steps away from being a Luddite?

WhereRWe?
11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
That is . . . how do I unzip a zip file. Specifically I have downloaded Cachemate, but it's a zipped file and I am unsure how to unzip it for use. Clicking on it brings up a message that asks what program do I want to use to unzip it . . . anyone have any suggestions for someone that is a mere two steps away from being a Luddite?

When you right-click on the file, do you have an "extract all" option? (4th item down on my computer...) You got Windows XP or what?

firefighterjake
11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
When you right-click on the file, do you have an "extract all" option? (4th item down on my computer...) You got Windows XP or what?

Nope . . . it does bring up a file that says "open with . . ." and gives me a list, but there's nothing that says "extract all". I have Windows 2000 here at work.

Incidentally, Bruce I really do appreciate you trying to help me here since (after being a long-time hold out of paperless caching) I am willing to take this first step to trying out the whole pc-type thing . . . even though so far it seems a lot more work.

hollora
11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
My friend - I googled "unzipping a file windows 2000". I believe you will need to install a "winzip" program to do this with 2000.

I am running XP so it opened easily. Once you work through these little software problems - paperless is definitely the way to go. I am a convert! LOL

parmachenee
11-16-2006, 04:56 PM

Go to www.download.com (http://www.download.com) and search for a zip program to download. They are free.

WhereRWe?
11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Go to www.download.com (http://www.download.com) and search for a zip program to download. They are free.

Or upgrade to Windows XP! Sheesh! With Windows Vista coming out in a couple of months, prices for XP should be dropping a LOT! (I see that it's going for $70-$80 right now on eBay.)

attroll
11-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Or upgrade to Windows XP! Sheesh! With Windows Vista coming out in a couple of months, prices for XP should be dropping a LOT! (I see that it's going for $70-$80 right now on eBay.)
Yes tell us how you like the Windows Vista addition Brice? I have not been paying much attention to it. I know Vista business addition is already out, but the home addition is not due until January. I know you took on the roll as as beta tester, so maybe you could shed some light on it for us?

firefighterjake
11-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys . . . I took Parmachenee's advice and found an unzip program that appears to have unzipped the file . . . now I just have to figure out how to put things together so that I can use the Palm, GSAK, etc.

firefighterjake
11-17-2006, 03:50 PM
OK, bear with me folks . . . next question.

I have run Pocket Queries and have a lot of cache info on the GSAK program.

I have also downloaded Cachemate to the Palm's SD card.

How do I get the GSAK into to the Cachemate on the Palm?

WhereRWe?
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Huh? If I understand your question, here's what you need to do:

In GSAK, click on file/export/cachemate PDB file. This creates the file and gets it ready to transfer to the Palm.

After making sure you have " Palm HotSync Manager" running, push the button to do a "hotsync" to your palm. This will put the file on the palm, and when you open Cachemate, it will add the .pdb file.

And you're ready to go caching!

:D :D

WhereRWe?
11-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes tell us how you like the Windows Vista addition Brice? I have not been paying much attention to it. I know Vista business addition is already out, but the home addition is not due until January. I know you took on the roll as as beta tester, so maybe you could shed some light on it for us?

I've had Vista RC1 (release candidate 1) for a couple of months. Trouble was, my PC had died so I put it on my son's computer, which had a lot slower processor and not much memory - barely enough system to support Vista. Like most things, "new and improved" isn't necessarily that, and I'm in no rush to buy Vista when it comes out.

Here's a link to a review on CNET (http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_RTM/4505-3672_7-32137426.html) that will say a lot more.

In my opinion, If you've got Windows XP, I don't see any real need to upgrade.

attroll
11-18-2006, 01:36 AM
I've had Vista RC1 (release candidate 1) for a couple of months. Trouble was, my PC had died so I put it on my son's computer, which had a lot slower processor and not much memory - barely enough system to support Vista. Like most things, "new and improved" isn't necessarily that, and I'm in no rush to buy Vista when it comes out.

Here's a link to a review on CNET (http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_RTM/4505-3672_7-32137426.html) that will say a lot more.

In my opinion, If you've got Windows XP, I don't see any real need to upgrade.

The only reason I would upgraded is because of the limit ammount of memory that Windows XP will allow a computer to access. Thanks. I will go read the review.

tat
11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
OK, bear with me folks . . . next question.

I have run Pocket Queries and have a lot of cache info on the GSAK program.

I have also downloaded Cachemate to the Palm's SD card.

First, install the Palm Desktop software that came with the PDA onto your PC. This is needed to load Cachemate onto the Palm. If you need help with this part let me know.

Open GSAK and pick File from the top left hand of the window.

Choose "Export"

Then choose "CacheMate PDB file"

A window will pop up that asks for a file name, make one up and enter it.

In the center of the window there is a check box "Install to palm after conversion"; pick it.

Then press "generate" at the bottom and you should have lots of caches on your PDA.

Haffy
11-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Don't forget to Hotsync though or it won't happen.

firefighterjake
11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
First, install the Palm Desktop software that came with the PDA onto your PC. This is needed to load Cachemate onto the Palm. If you need help with this part let me know.

Open GSAK and pick File from the top left hand of the window.

Choose "Export"

Then choose "CacheMate PDB file"

A window will pop up that asks for a file name, make one up and enter it.

In the center of the window there is a check box "Install to palm after conversion"; pick it.

Then press "generate" at the bottom and you should have lots of caches on your PDA.

I did this before . . . and did it again per your advice and I keep getting the same message -- "You cannot create a file here -- that folder does not exist."

Any more suggestions?

firefighterjake
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I did this before . . . and did it again per your advice and I keep getting the same message -- "You cannot create a file here -- that folder does not exist."

Any more suggestions?

Never mind . . . I had an epiphany . . . an epihany . . . a revelation (there, I'm pretty sure I know how to spell that) as to why it wasn't working and lo and behold I was right . . . I have to tell ya it's pretty exciting to see all those caches there. Now all I have to do is find some time to go geocaching.

firefighterjake
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
OK, I've already been playing with Cachemate and GSAK and I have a few more questions.

1) How often do you run your Pocket Queries?

2) How do folks set up their PQs (i.e. by date, by geography, etc.) . . . I want to be sure I get all the geocaches listed for Maine and get the current info sent to me on a regular basis so any suggestions would be welcome. I think I remember reading that Becket has her's sorted by dates for example, while Dave1976 has his sorted geographically . . . I'd love to know exactly how folks have the info sorted for the PQ so I could emulate them.

3) Is it possible to set up a separate GSAK/Cachemate file . . . for example if I was visiting my brother in law in CT and wanted to get info on CT caches in the area, but didn't want them to merge with the info on Maine caches can I do this?

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
OK, I've already been playing with Cachemate and GSAK and I have a few more questions.

1) How often do you run your Pocket Queries?

Daily,,,Why not, I get 5 PQ's per day

2) How do folks set up their PQs (i.e. by date, by geography, etc.) . . . I want to be sure I get all the geocaches listed for Maine and get the current info sent to me on a regular basis so any suggestions would be welcome. I think I remember reading that Becket has her's sorted by dates for example, while Dave1976 has his sorted geographically . . . I'd love to know exactly how folks have the info sorted for the PQ so I could emulate them.

I do mine by Date...your limited to 500 caches per PQ, if you break down the dates into 18 month increments since the "beginning" your almost assured of getting all the caches in the state. (The first PQ's could even be 24-30 month from the very beginning since there weren't that many caches for the first couple of years)

3) Is it possible to set up a separate GSAK/Cachemate file . . . for example if I was visiting my brother in law in CT and wanted to get info on CT caches in the area, but didn't want them to merge with the info on Maine caches can I do this?

Yes, create a Database with another name and import the info you want into that database. You can create countless databases and soon will have databases that you will never use but they will exist "just in case"

Haffy
11-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah what Steve said:)

This is how I do mine. Boy a lot of questions......:). I just run my PQ's the evening before or the day that I plan on going caching,that way they are current. Nothing worse to go caching and find out after looking for an hour that the cache had been disabled or archived. Just make sure to check the box that says run this query once and delete. Usually it will run within seconds

As far as the way I get them, I do mine by date,depending on how many caches you have already found. I usually have to run 3 0r 4 to get the whole state. Jan 01 to Dec 31 01 to 03 : Jan 01 to Dec 31 04 to 05 then Jan 01 to Dec 31 06 to 07. It wasnt too long ago that 1 PQ was all I needed for the whole state but that has certainly changed.

You can create a filter for any type or location for any caches that you want in as many databases as you want as well. It's just a matter of changing the names.

I'm not very good at giving directions over the puter,it's much easier showing a person live but hope that helped somewhat.

I'm sure others do it differently than me but that's how I do it. Oh yeah one other thing to keep in mind is if you need help with GSAK they have an excellent forum strictly for GSAK here: http://www.gsak.net/board/

WhereRWe?
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Saw the other 2 answers to this question, but...

You really don't need separate databases as far as I can see. All your caches can go into GSAK, and then filter out the group of caches you want.

For example, you can create a filter to show only those caches in CT, then export this file to Cachemate (and/or to Street Atlas or TOPO USA on your computer). We've done this MANY times when caching in different states, etc.

If you need specific instructions on creating the filter, just ask. :D :D

Haffy
11-20-2006, 08:50 PM
True you can put ALL of the caches in GSAK but I prefer to keep the different databases and then just export from that particular database. Just another way of doing it that's all. I'm sure each of us has there own way to use GSAK and there are tons of applications that I haven't even attempted yet. Everytime we have an event we are always saying we will teach each other how to use GSAK in diffferent ways but we never ever end up doing it. Maybe we ought to have an event just to show others how to use all these applications for paperless caching.

hollora
11-20-2006, 11:00 PM
A super idea - now to come up with a venue where we have wifi to put this all together for everyone. Regretfully a parking lot outisde of an autoparts store is not the place to go in March for a gathering.

LOL just kidding. It's too bad places with wifi are so expensive to use.

Just put on our thinking caps and something will come.

Sudonim
11-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a question about cachemate.
When I get a PQ and merge it onto my Palm, it doesn't update the 5 previous logs. I was caching today, and got a PQ yesterday, but the previous logs were from my first PQ in October. How do I update them? Do I have to delete the "unfound" caches on the Palm and then do another PQ to load current info? The program doesn't seem to look at the info already on the palm, just sees if a GC# is already on or not.

Haffy
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
I have a question about cachemate.
Do I have to delete the "unfound" caches on the Palm and then do another PQ to load current info? The program doesn't seem to look at the info already on the palm, just sees if a GC# is already on or not.

Yes, you have to delete the old ones first. At least from my experience that is what works for me anyway. If anyone else has another answer I would like to know that too.

firefighterjake
11-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the replies guys . . . this gives me an idea of what or rather how I can set up my PQs.