View Full Version : Another Delorme victory!

Cache Maine
11-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Congratulations to Kayakerinme for completing the Delorme Challenge this weekend! Way to go! :)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
11-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Congratulations!!!

Cache On!!!

Kaching Karen
11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, for sure a congratulations is in line! I'm glad this one is out in the open. :) Kayakerinme did the big sweep of caches over the weekend and was a good enough host to include Map pages that I hadn't done. We had a great time and I'm glad I got to share in some of his caches. Kayakerinme is a real sport for this "sport." Congratulations again!
PS.... he also got his 800th cache on this one.

hollora
11-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Way to go!

Sudonim
11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Way to go!!! At least you two shared the gas $ :)

Cache Maine
11-29-2006, 09:14 AM
PS.... he also got his 800th cache on this one.

Hey, that truck looks just like mine! Just 300 caches to go and about 48 maps! ha ha hah

becket
11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
very cool! congratulations

Kaching Karen
11-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Team2hunt got to use the geotruck on this trip. I made it sound like it was just Kayakerinme and I, but we had great company! TAT also tagged along for the trip (he already got the Delorme).

Beach Comber
11-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have instructions or a link to a site where I can plug in my finds and see whaich maps I have done and which ones I haven't? I vaguely remember some conversation about this, but can't remember who, what, when, where. THanks!

Haffy
11-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah I had a map of mine at one time and can't find it now. I think Brdad came up with mine after I sent him my finds PQ and then he put them on a map for me. Also Sabby did an excel spreadsheet that did somwhat the same thing. Can't seem to find that one either. Maybe they can repost what needs to be done to get that once again. I too am curious as to what maps I need as well since I went up to the county in September and added a few more maps to mine.

Team2hunt
11-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Seems like just yesterday. I loved the trip, being up north is a beautiful place to be. And congrats on the milestone cache too. My truck has now hosted 3 DeLorme conquers. Wouldn't you think I would be done by now. :rolleyes:

Cache Maine
11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
My truck has now hosted 3 DeLorme conquers. :rolleyes:
Gals, I think we found our driver! Woo hoo!

Team2hunt
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Gals, I think we found our driver! Woo hoo!

Holy cow! :eek: Some of those caches are in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes: But then again.....OK!! :p

WhereRWe?
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Just a question...

How do you keep track of your Delorme finds? Do you load all your finds into Street Atlas and then manually stick pins in the paper maps? Or is there a way to put the paper map boundaries into Street Atlas?

dí76
11-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Just a question...

How do you keep track of your Delorme finds? Do you load all your finds into Street Atlas and then manually stick pins in the paper maps? Or is there a way to put the paper map boundaries into Street Atlas?

Some one put an excel data base togeather and posted it here some where. Then you use it in GSAK and all the work is done for you. I think it was TAT and Sabby but I am not sure.

kayakerinme
11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Just a question...

When the Challenge was first posted, several utilities came out. The one that made it the easiest for me was a set of tracks that I could display in Mapsource; brdad created them. The tracks show the page/map boundaries as white lines across the Maine Mapsource map. I then added a waypoint for each map with the map number. Red circles showed the exempt maps, green flags showed maps I had, and red blocks marked the maps I needed. I save this as a separate Mapsource file called delorme.gdb.

I also use GSAK extensively. Using the export function filtered to caches I'e found in Maine, I create a Mapsource file called maineFinds.gdb. I then take the tracks from delorme.gdb and copy them into this new file. I also do the same with the waypoints with the map numbers and symbols. It's pretty easy to see where I've already done a map. As I progressed, I changed the symbols from red blocks to green flags in the delorme.gdb file. As I did so, I also copied the waypoint I was claiming for the map back into the delorme.gdb.

You can find a zip file of my delorme.gdb (renamed maine-delorme-challenge.gdb to be clearer) at www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip)

This also works very well for planning purposes. From GSAK, I export a file with all active Maine caches then copy-and-paste the tracks and waypoints into that Mapsource file. It's easy to see which caches are on which pages. On several occasions I traveled just to the first cache on a map then hopped back over. This was particularly useful when we (T2H, KK, etc) traveled northward to the event in September.

All the credit goes back to brdad for creating the track files in the first place. Before that I was using my own spreadsheets and the .csv files with GSAK and trying to figure it all out. The Mapsource tracks give me a way to visualize the state and know what I had done and what I needed to do.

I haven't tried any of this with Street Atlas or Topo USA but with Mapsource I didn't have any need to do so.

WhereRWe?
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
You can find a zip file of my delorme.gdb (renamed maine-delorme-challenge.gdb to be clearer) at www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip)

I get a "file not found" error with this link. I'll see if I can search the forums to find the original post.

Then I hope someone will be at the event next week that can help me after I've given up in frustration! LOL!

(Edit - OK - I found the problem - needed to go directly to your site, not gcmaine.org - and found the file. I'll try it and see what happens)

kayakerinme
11-30-2006, 05:18 PM

Sorry about the link. Apparently I didn't paste something propery in the link box. How about this one?

http://www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip

Beach Comber
11-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Cool! Thanks. I am almost there - I am a new MapSource user so am learning the ropes. I have cleared your waypoints and info from the map and saved it on my system to import mine. I have generated PQ's with my finds from GC.com and have loaded these into GSAK. Here is where I am stuck - two questions.........

In what file type is it best to save data in GSAK to import into MapSource?
When in MapSource how do I import the data from GSAK? I am only seeing a way to receive information from my GPS, but nothing else.

Thanks for your help!!

Cache Maine
11-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Here is a link to a post from Sabby (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=18053&postcount=62)about an excel file. Hope it helps anyone who might need it.

Beach Comber
11-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks Cameo - I checked that out too. Nice work.
I am still interested in the answers to the MapSource questions I posted so that I can transfer other information from GSAK into MapSource as well.

Team2hunt
11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks Cameo - I checked that out too. Nice work.
I am still interested in the answers to the MapSource questions I posted so that I can transfer other information from GSAK into MapSource as well.

The easiest way for me is to load the waypoints into my GPS'r and use the " retrieve from device " to put the waypoints into Mapsource. I know it's not right but it works.

Haffy
11-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Cool! Thanks. I am almost there - I am a new MapSource user so am learning the ropes. I have cleared your waypoints and info from the map and saved it on my system to import mine. I have generated PQ's with my finds from GC.com and have loaded these into GSAK. Here is where I am stuck - two questions.........

When in MapSource how do I import the data from GSAK? I am only seeing a way to receive information from my GPS, but nothing else.

Thanks for your help!!

Hey Judy you say you have generated PQ's for your finds? Why don't you use the my finds PQ and just get them all in one PQ. Then when you export them into Mapsource go to transfer at the top and it will say either to or from the device. Seems that would be the easiest way to go. When in GSAK use that PQ that you just generated and go to File> Export> Mapsource and you will have all the caches from that PQ now in Mapsource.

WhereRWe?
11-30-2006, 10:13 PM

You're ahead of me on this because I had to go to a meeting this afternoon, and didn't get a chance to work on it. But to answer your last question...

In GSAK, do the filter to get your "finds", then click on file/export/mapsource to create a file on your desktop.

Then in Mapsource, go to file/open to open the "finds" file into your map.

Kinda quick answer, but I think I've given you enough info... :D :D

Beach Comber
11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Bingo!! Thanks Bruce - this approach worked. Cool!

Sudonim
12-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I did the "stick pins in a 2x4' paper map on corkboard" to plan out the routing, then printed a bunch of pages (This was before I bought my Palm T/X and PQ'ed everything :D )

Just a question...

Kaching Karen
12-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Okay this one is for the people who don't have the fancy machines. When I first thinking about the challenge I had Brdad do a real cool map for me. I made the query off of geocaching.com and sent it to him. It showed me which maps I needed. As I did caches in the area I wrote them on a spread sheet much like the GSAK one and checked off the map. When I needed a cache in a map area, I'd go to an area in the map, or close to it, put in the zip code and look at google map and look at the Delorme Gazetteer and figure it out. It wasn't fancy, but it worked.

Mainiac1957
12-01-2006, 07:37 AM
I used the map Kayakerinme post. Took his off, and put mine on. Awesome!!!

Cache Maine
12-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Holy cow! :eek: Some of those caches are in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes: But then again.....OK!! :p

I only have 26 maps left and looks like a few you can't even drive too. I predict that is going to take me all summer to accomplish!

Sudonim
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
looks like a few you can't even drive too.
There's one map that you can only get to on a unicycle!! (Just kidding, all the caches I did for the challenge had roads, just that some of them had grass growing up in the middle)

kayakerinme
12-01-2006, 06:04 PM
There's one map that you can only get to on a unicycle!! (Just kidding, all the caches I did for the challenge had roads, just that some of them had grass growing up in the middle)

Like the one for Map 46? How did you ever find that location?

WhereRWe?
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM

What cache is that?

kayakerinme
12-01-2006, 10:40 PM
What cache is that?

I was referring to Sudonim's Little Falls Cache (GCWMFE) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCWMFE. It was placed as the only cache on map 46 for the challenge. It's way out in the middle of... well, I'm not really sure what it was in the middle of. It felt odd to have Canada south and west of the cache location. :p

We (T2H, KK, TAT, & I) were all wondering how he knew about this particular place. It's really a beautiful spot but it is very remote.

If you're up for the challenge, you'll probably wind up here eventually as it is one of several maps that have only one cache.

Sudonim
12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
OK, I didn't stumble on that spot, I got a tip.
I knew I had to put a cache on that map to complete the challenge. The day before I was to set out for the area, I was explaining geocaching to one of my customers. Turns out he is a registered Maine guide (as well as guiding all over the world) and he was very familiar with that area. There is a stream just upstream from that spot named after him!
With that info in hand, I found the picnic area (which he uses for a break on canoeing trips) and found a good spot to stash a cache. The mosquitoes were fierce, but I liked the spot, and it WAS on the right map!

Cache Maine
12-02-2006, 10:04 AM
OK, I didn't stumble on that spot, I got a tip.
I knew I had to put a cache on that map to complete the challenge.

So how can you complete the challenge if you own the one cache on a particular map? Is there a stipulation in the rules that you can either log or own a cache on each map?

Sudonim
12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
When the challenge was posted, there were several maps with no caches on them. Some maps were deemed out of play due to no apparent public access, but there were 4 maps that had public access, but no caches. I placed one on map 46, 48 and 57. Mainiac1957 put a really pretty one on map 38. My big stumbling block was map 67. There was only one cache listed, and I DNF'ed it. Gob-ler did the same and placed one in Ft. Kent. I had to drive all the way back from Bangor to get 1 cache..ugg!
Short answer (too late) is that you can either own or find a cache on each page, the main idea is to go to all the pages and see Maine.