View Full Version : Free wi-fi spots in Unity

firefighterjake
12-02-2006, 02:58 PM
At this morning's benefit breakfast I learned something that may be of some use to us geocachers.

In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

93 Main St. -- Friends of the Unity Wetlands
Depot St -- Barnraisers Building
Depot St. -- Crosstrax Cafe
Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre

Just thought this might be of some use to some folks.

Cache Maine
12-02-2006, 03:27 PM
At this morning's benefit breakfast I learned something that may be of some use to us geocachers.

In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre

Just thought this might be of some use to some folks.

Once upon a time, someone was compiling a list of free wifi spots for cachers to use when traveling....not sure what ever happened with that. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :)

WhereRWe?
12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Once upon a time, someone was compiling a list of free wifi spots for cachers to use when traveling....not sure what ever happened with that. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :)

Since nobody has offered any new wifi hotspots - with the data needed to add it to the data base - it hasn't changed. :D :D

People are perfectly willing to say "In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre"

But I can't add it to the database unless I have the following info:

Name (Barnrasier's Building)
Town (Unity)
Location (123 Depot St.)
Coordinates

The database is a .gpx file that you can load into GSAK and onto your maps. Without the above information, I can't add the hotspot. (This has been brought up a couple of times in the past, but I can't find the thread right off...)

firefighterjake
12-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Since nobody has offered any new wifi hotspots - with the data needed to add it to the data base - it hasn't changed. :D :D

People are perfectly willing to say "In Unity there are four free wi-fi hotspots that you can take advantage of if you're in the area.

Depot St. -- The Unity Theatre"

But I can't add it to the database unless I have the following info:

Name (Barnrasier's Building)
Town (Unity)
Location (123 Depot St.)
Coordinates

The database is a .gpx file that you can load into GSAK and onto your maps. Without the above information, I can't add the hotspot. (This has been brought up a couple of times in the past, but I can't find the thread right off...)

I didn't realize this info would be helpful (on my part all I can say is "D'uh, I guess it would be useful to have the coords to these places when you have a GPSr!":rolleyes: ) I'll get the coords and address and get back to you with the info so you can add it to your database.

WhereRWe?
12-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I didn't realize this info would be helpful (on my part all I can say is "D'uh, I guess it would be useful to have the coords to these places when you have a GPSr!":rolleyes: ) I'll get the coords and address and get back to you with the info so you can add it to your database.

Do a search on threads containing WiFi and you'll see mention of a lot of places with WiFi access. And if you want to find your own places (not necessarily free, public access), I've recommended the NetStumbler program in the past.)

(And do a Google search on WarDriving to learn more about "wifi snooping")

firefighterjake
12-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Well needless to say this is a busy time of year . . . I mean I haven't even been able to do any caching for weeks, but I did manage to get the info for Bruce . . . and for anyone else who is interested.

Here's some of the free wi-fi spots in Unity.

Name: Cross Trax Cafe (cafe located across from the RR station)
Town: Unity
Wi-fi "Name": CrossTracks
Coords: N 44.36.887, W 069.19.317

Name: Friends of the Unity Wetlands (small office near lt at town center)
Wi-fi "Name": Linksys
Coords: N 44.36.656, W 069.20.066

Name: Unity Barnraisers (brick building near vet office/across from RR)
Wi-fi "Name": UBR
Coords: N 44.36.875, W 069.19.367

Unity Centre for the Performing Arts (next to Clifford Commons)
Wi-fi "Name": T1-AR7WRD
Coords: N 44.36.818, W 069.19.810

Belfast and Moosehead Lake RR (you can't miss it!)
Wi-fi "Name": Mooserail
Coords: N 44.36.907, W 069.19.333

hollora
12-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Thank you Jake! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

WhereRWe?
12-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Well needless to say this is a busy time of year . . . I mean I haven't even been able to do any caching for weeks, but I did manage to get the info for Bruce . . . and for anyone else who is interested.

Here's some of the free wi-fi spots in Unity.

Thanks, Jake. Exactly what I need.

If anyone else has wifi hotspots, please post them here in the same format.

:D :D