View Full Version : Celebrate 2006 -"I'm Sitting!"

Kaching Karen
12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
January 21, 2007 (alternate date - January 28th)
Celebrate 2006 - "I'm Sitting!" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=77a9347e-2796-45a6-8b94-c9eb52af1fa8) by Kaching Karen (GCZM1W)
Augusta, Maine

It's now posted everyone! I've always wanted to do a winter event and here it is! If you've got any ideas I'm open to suggestions. Now, for an explanation of the title. When we cache with a group, it is customary for the first people who find the cache, to pretend they are still looking for a while. Then, they proudly announce, "I'm sitting!" and have a seat and enjoy the entertainment of watching the rest of us stuggle to find the cache. Why wait out a long winter without too much geocaching and meeting of friends? Come slide, skate, ski, snowshoe, eat, celebrate, and "sit" at a fun time. Bring the kids and hope for lots of snow!

Kaching Karen
01-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Okay all. We are getting close to celebrating 2006 with a bang. I've been tossing around some ideas and would like all of your help. We'll have plenty to do if there is snow and even plenty to do without snow. There will be a "Celebration" wall where you can post what you want to remember about 2006. I'll have markers and stars for you to write on. So, start thinking about it NOW! You can post pictures on the wall (the old fashioned way) and take them home when the event is done.:p

Kaching Karen
01-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking of having a "Make Your Own Signature Item" table out for the kids, but if you are like my family, the big kids will sit down and do some crafts also. Do you have some old pieces of small wood, pompoms, popcycle sticks, glue, beads, etc. that you would like to donate? I've got some stuff left over from when my kids were small.
Someone mentioned that they had a small laminator. We could bring in a printer and have lables made for the kids creations. How much would the supplies cost for laminator stuff?

Kaching Karen
01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Team2hunt has suggested that we have a table set up to teach people about mapping software and how to use their GPSr's. Since I haven't got a clue about this stuff, does anyone want to volunteer? You don't have to do it for the whole event and if we have a couple of volunteers we can set times for a number of demonstrations.

Kaching Karen
01-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Team Teebow has said he'll set up and answer any questions about the challenge. Any other presenters are welcome!

FuddsGirls
01-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey KK you have your own discussion going here. Where are your friends? We have art type supplies we can bring, stuff my great aunt had around.

hollora
01-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I am willing to bring some film cannisters and bags if the kids also want to make CITO containers or pick up supplies to make some at home. Would this be helpful?

Will check on what I have for craft like supplies.

Team2hunt
01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I have lots of scraps of wood and stuff. Will be glad to bring them along. Will also bring my laptop and mapping software, to display and show people some really interesting stuff, I think.

LaughingTerry
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm thinking of having a "Make Your Own Signature Item" table out for the kids, but if you are like my family, the big kids will sit down and do some crafts also. Do you have some old pieces of small wood, pompoms, popcycle sticks, glue, beads, etc. that you would like to donate? I've got some stuff left over from when my kids were small.
Someone mentioned that they had a small laminator. We could bring in a printer and have lables made for the kids creations. How much would the supplies cost for laminator stuff?

I have a bigger laminator(page size) and quite a bit of laminating material as well as business size sheets. If you want me to bring it let me know. I'll also bring my laptop with mapware.

FuddsGirls
01-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I am willing to bring some film cannisters and bags if the kids also want to make CITO containers or pick up supplies to make some at home. Would this be helpful?

Will check on what I have for craft like supplies.
Cito canisters is a great idea. So many times we see trash and so many times we say we need to start bringing bags.

hollora
01-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I will have a bag full of cannisters and bags for stuffing into them. My hubby got the cannisters at the local photo shop. My occasional caching friend wellsuh donated the bags from her party store.

This is a great project for kids.

Kaching Karen
01-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm taking you all up on your suggestions! As we get a little closer to the event and we know what will be or not be covering the ground, I'll get to the specifics.

Kaching Karen
01-12-2007, 07:05 PM
The 10 day forcast is looking great. I'll be posting a schedule soon. Maybe in the morning, but if I don't, you'll have to wait until Monday. I'm headed to the White Mountains to find some snow, and it looks like it will find me.

So far:

If you have any ideas.... I am open to suggestions!

Sledding, skating, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing
Caching
Technology Table (Team2hunt, TAT, Laughing Terry)
"Make your own Signature Item" table
Kid's cache
Travel bugs and coins table
Delorme Challenge Table (Team Teebow) and two people signing the log!
"Get to know you" game
Pot-Luck Supper at 4:30
CELEBRATION WALL! (Think about what you want to add).

dí76
01-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey Karen,

I am very excited about this event. Do you know if the schools wireless network will be availible?

Enjoy your trip tomorrow:D

hollora
01-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Good question Dave!

Kaching Karen
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I still haven't done the official tour of the facility. This place is right next to my house and I did ask if there was internet access. I doubt they'll give us their password to get access, but they may let us connect another way.

dí76
01-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I still haven't done the official tour of the facility. This place is right next to my house and I did ask if there was internet access. I doubt they'll give us their password to get access, but they may let us connect another way.

With the crowd that will be there I doubt we will need the password.:D :D :D
Some one will know how to hack into it. I mean have a means of getting a password:D :p

Kaching Karen
01-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I checked out the school today and talked to the principal. They only have wireless internet and I can't have the password. Oh well. Lots of people are signing up to come. It should be fun!

FuddsGirls
01-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I checked out the school today and talked to the principal. They only have wireless internet and I can't have the password. Oh well. Lots of people are signing up to come. It should be fun! I heard those wireless things work from a distance. How far away do you live, can't you leave your connection on so we can pirate it that way?

dí76
01-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I heard those wireless things work from a distance. How far away do you live, can't you leave your connection on so we can pirate it that way?
Or..... All of us that want to Geek out can go to Karens House:D :D

craftycaching
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi Karen, you were at a count of around 50 people I believe, was that including the count of the children as well? If not, do you know approx. how many children will be there?:)

Kaching Karen
01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I always estimate about 20 kids when doing a kid's cache. This is a winter event and I believe, the first one of this type. So, I'd say 15-20 is a high estimate. It's always hard to tell.

Yeah, if we need the internet, my house is just a skip down the street. Team2hunt and TAT know it well. 5 properties away.... I could get out my GPS and find the distance. It's a small house. Hopefully, we'll be able to work something out at the school.:)

Kaching Karen
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
It is 0.10 miles from my house to the school.

Haffy
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey KK as a teacher maybe you ought to be setting an example for your kids and all those others as well who might be reading your posts in here: ;)

Since when is January spelled JANURARY :rolleyes: :eek:

dí76
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey Karen,

I plan in being there on Sunday and was wondering if the snow that you guys go last week and the mess that you got today was enough to snow shoe on. We only got about 3 inches out of this storm today and right now we dont really have enough here to snow shoe on.

Looking forward to it.

By the way just a reminder that next week I will be sending a package to Africa if any one wants coins or tbs to go with it bring them to the event.:)

craftycaching
01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Okay great Karen, I have the napkins and glue guns you wanted as well as a few other crafty items......
Just got my GPS today- guess what?? I was so excited that I never got batteries for it!!! Off to Radio Shack I go!! I was getting worried about when it would arrive!! Now I am worried that I won't know how to use it!!! I guess I will spend tomorrow admiring it!! LOL Looking forward to the event. If you think of anything else you need, let me know.

Kaching Karen
01-19-2007, 08:47 PM
We only got about 3 inches also. There was a mass of people sliding and skating today at William's playground.

The woods out behind the school are lovely to walk in, snow or no snow.

Haffy, I have been having problems spelling since I squished my baby finger in a caching accident. Sometimes extra letters just sneak into my words unannounced!

Haffy
01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Sure that's what they always say....lol. I'm going to try and make it.

hollora
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Francis Family's Becka and I will be there. Church-hill can not make it. We will be bringing the CITO containers and bags, posted discoverables along with a home-make cheese cake (yeah I got it done right this time). See you there - can't wait! Sunday!

LaughingTerry
01-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Oh Oh Oh..... Cheesecake!!!!!!!

I'll be there, Shewolf, and I think all four of the Monsterdog2 team.

I'll make the jambalya after I get back from snowmobiling tomorrow. Woo Hoo!

craftycaching
01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow.......I have got alot to learn about this GPS Unit:eek: , I cannot wait to meet a fellow Geocacher who knows what they are doing because I am looking at this thing & the book shaking my head!!:( I thought I'd be out Geocaching today with it!! YAH RIGHT!!! Cannot wait till tomorrow to be shown some info.......:D :D

attroll
01-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Sorry, it looks like I will not make this event tomorrow. There is snow in those mountains and I am heading north with the snowmobile first thing in the morning. I need to take advantage of the snow while it last, who knows this may be the only time I get to use my snowmobiles this year so I am not going to pass it up.

LaughingTerry
01-21-2007, 09:56 AM
What's with that Rick? I went sledding from my place over to Norridgwok yesterday and then went sledding with a bunch of friends. The trails over there were almost OK, some were good, but from New Sharon to about halfway there were crap. You were supposed to sled yesterday and do the event today. LOL

dí76
01-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Karen,

Is there enough snow to bring snow shoes?

And Do you need anything specif at the event that girlmate and I can bring,

OH yah and you need to clear some of the pms you got cause you cant take anymore or I would have pmed this to you

WhereRWe?
01-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Wow.......I have got alot to learn about this GPS Unit:eek: , I cannot wait to meet a fellow Geocacher who knows what they are doing because I am looking at this thing & the book shaking my head!!:( I thought I'd be out Geocaching today with it!! YAH RIGHT!!! Cannot wait till tomorrow to be shown some info.......:D :D

I have the 60csx as well. and will be at the event - probably for the first couple of hours. I have to be home before dark or I'm a menace on the road! LOL!

Kaching Karen
01-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Yes, there is enough snow for snowshoes, but boots work too, on the trails.

We'll give you a call.

Soda! We need drinks. I won't pick them up until part way through the day and then I'll send someone to the store if need be.

I have hot chocolate.

dí76
01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I will bring cups and soda and maybe another drink.

No alcohol since its in a school right:D

FuddsGirls
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
So what is sugar and hot salt Hollara? I know you want to tell us Dave. The cheesecake was awesome by the way. Sorry we had to leave early and miss clean up but the 11yo had a Youth Group meeting and at that age they need all the positive activities we can get them in. It was a great afternoon and for those of you who had it blank, we have a wooden sig :D

craftycaching
01-21-2007, 08:16 PM
:D :D :D Had a great time at the event Karen! Thanks alot! Was nice to meet people you see here in the forums!! Cannot wait to go geocaching with someone now!! Heard lots of neat stories about Geocaching as well as learning info about my GPS (THANKFULLY) thanks for ALL THE help Dave & Brad!!! I am less confused, I will get the hang of it!!! And Karen, I apologize but I do not know your parents names. They were very nice people & please thank your dad for jumping my car!!:D :D :D Have a great night!!

Kaching Karen
01-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow, to have that many people in one place and the only two major things were left behind. One of them I knew the owner, but the mystery is "Who owns the sunglasses on a cord?"

Kaching Karen
01-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Can I post my own event as a find?

How can I say "Thank you" to over 50 people who are just so wonderful? What a great time I had today and you all made it happen. I'm tired and have THE GAME on. Will post more thanks tomorrow when the brain is less cluttered.

Mainiac1957
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
IMHO Karen... I have hosted 7 events, and have never found any of them. They go in your hidden column. I guess I look at it as double dipping. I do know that some folks choose to hide as well as find their own events. No written rules on the subject as far as I know.

attroll
01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
What's with that Rick? I went sledding from my place over to Norridgwok yesterday and then went sledding with a bunch of friends. The trails over there were almost OK, some were good, but from New Sharon to about halfway there were crap. You were supposed to sled yesterday and do the event today. LOL

Well Terry, The trails were pretty darn good. We put a little over 102 miles on the sled today. I had a great time. I look forward to doing it again next weekend.

attroll
01-21-2007, 10:05 PM

How can I say "Thank you" to over 50 people who are just so wonderful? What a great time I had today and you all made it happen. I'm tired and have THE GAME on. Will post more thanks tomorrow when the brain is less cluttered.
If your going to host it and spend the time and money of it and do all the organization then why not log it. It is one of those things where it is your decision.

brdad
01-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Sorry we didn't make it :(

I think the larger percentage says it's quite ok to log your own event. Not sure what I'd do, and I never will, since I will never host one! IIRC, that's part of the reason they changed the log to "attended". You can "attend" your own event, but it's kind of hard to "find" a cache you have hidden, when you allready know where it is. So, do whatever you feel like!

Team2hunt
01-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Well Terry, The trails were pretty darn good. We put a little over 102 miles on the sled today. I had a great time. I look forward to doing it again next weekend.

Heck Rick we did that kinda mileage just puttin out the kids cache.

Team2hunt
01-22-2007, 09:06 PM

I have been reading the logs and I think we all had a GREAT time. Thanks KK for doing such a great job! 2 thumbs up! :D 1manteam liked it too :D

LOG IT!!

Cache Maine
01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Saw Mumsbee and the Old Drone heading North on 95 this morning....hope they had a nice visit.

I wasn't sure it was them just by the NS plates...then I saw the Signal Frog antenna topper....that did it!

Thanks again for a super event...we had fun!

Kaching Karen
01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I am glad to report that MumsBee and the Old Drone are safe at home. They only had bad roads as far as Waterville. The remaining 485 miles were clear. Thanks to them for all the support at my house, preparing for the event, and cleaning up. That's a good gene pool I come from!

Thanks to Cameooo for coming up with the idea, and giving me a road report. Mum, Dad and I all had a good laugh on that posting.
Thanks to Team2hunt and TAT for arriving the night before to take my mind off of things (yeah, I was nervous), set up the Kids Cache and get things going... especially the Technology Table. Thanks to Robt for helping with the technology and for the delicious left-overs.

FuddsGirls, Hollaro and Craftycaching all pitched in for the craft table. Laughing Terry brought his cool laminator to make tags. Thanks to Mainiac1957, GirlMate, and Dave1976 for calling and asking if there was anything I needed at the last minute! You guys arrived at the house just as everyone here was ready to string me up alive because I was getting "antsy."

And thanks to all the wonderful people who joined in on the celebration. You shared food, travel bugs, coins, and great stories. It was a blast and I wasn't totally exhausted after it was all done. Will I do it again next year? You bet!