View Full Version : New TB Tags for Diabetes

hollora
12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Just noticed on GC.com there are some new TBs for diabetes awareness and til they are gone, looks like they are going to be free for an application and agreement. MSD (a pharmaceutical company) seems to be doing something like the Jeep TBs.:)

I signed up for one - hope we gets lots to start their journey from Maine. There are many in this state effected by diabetes. :eek:

Health concerns are another area where Geocachers can help and get involved. YOU do all make a difference.:D

Will cancer research and awareness be next - personally I hope so! Both cancer and diabetes have touched my life.:(

Just an FYI for those you are interested.

pjpreb
12-04-2006, 08:22 PM
We too have been touched by cancer. I lost a dear aunt to breast cancer this summer and Pete has lost both parents to cancer. We recently started leaving "Cure Cancer for ME" wristbands in caches. What a great "swag" item don't you think? Thanks, Hollora for bringing attention to such an important issue.

We bought our wristbands here:
http://www.mainecancer.org/mechandise.shtml

Cache Maine
12-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Just an FYI for those you are interested.

I don't like the idea that they require your password...did they ask for your password for the jeeps? Something seems fishy...

Haffy
12-04-2006, 09:35 PM
It is being handled out of the GC forums so nothing to worry about. Jeremy already answered that question in the GC forums.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I agree Cameo, I would like to participate but I can't see why they need my password. I would consent to the rest but that doesn't seem appropriate even if they are trying to verify that I am a geocacher.

Cache Maine
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
It is being handled out of the GC forums so nothing to worry about. Jeremy already answered that question in the GC forums.

Ohhh....just made me wonder...thanks for the update!

Cache Maine
12-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I agree Cameo, I would like to participate but I can't see why they need my password. I would consent to the rest but that doesn't seem appropriate even if they are trying to verify that I am a geocacher.

I agree TRF....username should be sufficient. To each his own though, I guess if you feel comfortable giving it out, then you can...if not, then don't. :)

I'd still like to know if that was the case for the jeeps...I can't remember...does anyone remember if they required a password for the jeeps?

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
12-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I agree TRF....username should be sufficient. To each his own though, I guess if you feel comfortable giving it out, then you can...if not, then don't. :)

I'd still like to know if that was the case for the jeeps...I can't remember...does anyone remember if they required a password for the jeeps?

There was no requirement for a password to get a green jeep, Just your user name (understandably) and your mailing address. I guess Jeep verified it through gc.com.

I briefly looked through the GC .com forums but found nothing addressing why they need a pssword to get the TB. Maybe I missed the thread, like I said I looked quickly.

Cache Maine
12-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Can you drop a link to this? Thanks in advance Haffy.

Edit: Okay, I searched and searched and this is what I found (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=&showtopic=150284&view=findpost&p=2598350).

Starzz
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I requested a Diabetes TB back in December, and I just received it in the mail today! :)

Mainelyroses
01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I got a note posted this morning that a geocoin I have in Italy was picked up...so I went to the link and saw that one of those diabetes tb's was in the cache with my coin...I thought it was very interesting that one of them was already in Europe!!

Haffy
01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
With 20,000 of them distributed they are all over the world,not just the US. The one I received was named Johannesburg,so what I did was mail it to Johannesburg South Africa after inquiring any cacher who would want it. So now it will be bringing South Africa more awareness to the plight of diabetes. I also sent the cacher who I mailed it to, a Maine Geocoin and my signature item. He emailed me back today and thanked me for the TB and coin and stuff and now I have another cacher friend across the ocean.

dragonflys
01-09-2007, 04:26 PM
what a great idea and thing to do Haffy. I just got mine and it is going to Windsor CO. I posted to the local website saying it is on the way, maybe I should ask to mail it there. My daughter's is going to Japan and son's is heading to Turkey

Haffy
01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Some people don't like to see TB's mailed but in this particular instance where the TB is going to be used to bring awareness to the area that the TB is going to I figured I would mail it there so it will bring awareness to Diabetes in the area sooner. Each to his own I guess. Any other time I would just put the TB in a local cache and hope it reaches it's goal. I figured the sooner the better in this instance.

MoxieMan
01-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I got mine in the mail today! Just activated it. I will be bringing it to the M.G.A. Coffee Break Friday night for discoveries and bringing it to Kentucky in a month to start it on it's journey.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Some people don't like to see TB's mailed but in this particular instance where the TB is going to be used to bring awareness to the area that the TB is going to I figured I would mail it there so it will bring awareness to Diabetes in the area sooner. Each to his own I guess. Any other time I would just put the TB in a local cache and hope it reaches it's goal. I figured the sooner the better in this instance.

LOL,,I retrieved a TB bound for Nevada, the irony is that the wife and I are heading to Las Vagas in a month but I thought the TB would want to hit other caches rather just show up in Vegas so I placed it in Cache Maine's Vending machine cache in Hampden hoping it will see hundreds of caches and spreading the word about diabetes. Another irony is that we have family friends from South Africa staying at my parents house for a couple of weeks and they are excited to try geocaching. I'll tell them to retrieve the TB and mail it back to you Haffy,,,LOL.

pjpreb
01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
LOL,,I retrieved a TB bound for Nevada, the irony is that the wife and I are heading to Las Vagas in a month

Any room in your suitcase??? :D

WhereRWe?
01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=Haffy;26952]Some people don't like to see TB's mailed but in this particular instance where the TB is going to be used to bring awareness to the area that the TB is going to I figured I would mail it there so it will bring awareness to Diabetes in the area sooner. /QUOTE]

Wow! You don't think they know about Diabetes in South Africa? :p :p

Sheesh! (And RULOST2? and I are BOTH diabetic! LOL!) :D :D