View Full Version : Newbie

DooTrax
12-07-2006, 10:07 PM
First time here and ready to learn Geocaching.
Sounds like it can be fun. Just got my 2nd GPS went from a GPS map 76 to a GPS map 76CSx. Been GPS'ing for about 5 years now. Do mostly trails and Maping atv trails with it.
Hope to see some of you around.

:)

Beach Comber
12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Welcome!!!

Haffy
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching and hope to see you on the trails or at an event in the near future. And by the way, where is Hodgdon anyway?

Starzz
12-07-2006, 11:09 PM
And by the way, where is Hodgdon anyway?

It's just below Houlton on Route 1.

brdad
12-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Oh, so it's in Canada?

That's ok, we welcome Canadians, too. Welcome to the addiction of geocaching, and our web site!

firefighterjake
12-08-2006, 07:00 AM
First time here and ready to learn Geocaching.
Sounds like it can be fun. Just got my 2nd GPS went from a GPS map 76 to a GPS map 76CSx. Been GPS'ing for about 5 years now. Do mostly trails and Maping atv trails with it.
Hope to see some of you around.

:)

A few of us got into geocaching in the same way . . . I originally started out with a GPS with the intent of using it while ATVing on the Sunrise Trail off the Airline after getting lost on a trip . . . but now I find myself using my GPS more often for geocaching . . . although it always goes out with me while ATVing or snowmobiling (and from your screen name I'm guessing you snowmobile!) There is a group of us here who ATV (Steveph comes to mind) and some who sled (Laughing Terry, Attroll, Noreasta to name a few.) Welcome to geocachingmaine.org.

WhereRWe?
12-08-2006, 09:07 AM
There is a group of us here who ATV (Steveph comes to mind) and some who sled (Laughing Terry, Attroll, Noreasta to name a few.) Welcome to geocachingmaine.org.

Sheesh! Don't forget Hiram! I KNOW he considers his Jeep an ATV! LOL!

firefighterjake
12-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Sheesh! Don't forget Hiram! I KNOW he considers his Jeep an ATV! LOL!

Right about now I'm thinking he considers his Jeep a piece of junk. :rolleyes: :D ;) :eek:

Starzz
12-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Oh, so it's in Canada?

That's ok, we welcome Canadians, too. Welcome to the addiction of geocaching, and our web site!

Nononono! hehehe its in Maine! Its between Houlton and Danforth on Route 1.

Hodgdon:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=46.042259,-67.849846&spn=0.108669,0.233459&om=1

Kaching Karen
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey, as an official Canadian, (lost in America with a GPSr unit), I say Welcome!

DooTrax
12-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Hodgdon is not in Canada it is on the border. As the crow flies from my house to the border is about 4 miles. Now the name "DooTrax" comes from I have 3 Ski DOO's. Trax is for my 2 ATV'S I have Bombardiers or CanAms the new name.
I need some help in getting info or books on Geo caching.

Cache Maine
12-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Hodgdon is not in Canada it is on the border. As the crow flies from my house to the border is about 4 miles. Now the name "DooTrax" comes from I have 3 Ski DOO's. Trax is for my 2 ATV'S I have Bombardiers or CanAms the new name.

What kind of info? Is there anything in particular? Ask anything...someone will come up with the answer!

d’76
12-08-2006, 11:01 AM
In many book stores you can find a book called geocaching for dummies (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764575716.html)

That is how I learned. THe book is fairly expensive but there is so much on the net that you may be all set just surfing around.
http://www.geocaching.com/about/
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?
THese are just a few that geocaching.com has to offer. Also going to an event will be a learning experiance on its own. I was a bit shy at first but the folks here are great and will answer your questions or give you a link to help out. Be prepared for lots of sarcasism. We are all very close here and know each other on a first name basis and many of us have cached togeather. So dont take anything personally and just have fun with us.:D

Welcome to the group.

OBTW, I went to college with some faulkners from Hodgdon.

Beach Comber
12-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I was a bit shy at first

:eek: Is this the Dave1976 that I know? or perhaps it was an impostor?

d’76
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Hey, if you remember directly I didnt post much in the beginning:D

firefighterjake
12-08-2006, 12:17 PM

My thoughts exactly!:D

firefighterjake
12-08-2006, 12:19 PM

As Cameooooooooo said . . . ask away. Most folks here can answer any questions you might have . . . and even questions you don't have.

I have a Skidoo myself for a sled -- Rev 500SS . . . although I ride a Honda Foreman 450S instead of a Bombardier (although I've been told they're very reliable.)

Last year nearly all of my sled miles were spent in The County . . . and usually I try to get up to the Washburn area at least once in the summer for an extended ATV ride.

Cache Maine
12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
As Cameooooooooo said . . . ask away. Most folks here can answer any questions you might have . . . and even questions you don't have.

Did you know that a cat purrs at the same rate that a diesel engine idles?

Haffy
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey, if you remember directly I didnt post much in the beginning:D

I know it and now we can't get the guy to shut up........:rolleyes:

DooTrax
12-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I just loaded easy gps is this a good program to use? Ordered a Geocaching book from speak easy. Can anyone recommend what else to use.

firefighterjake
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I just loaded easy gps is this a good program to use? Ordered a Geocaching book from speak easy. Can anyone recommend what else to use.

To be honest for me it was mostly trial and error . . . that and asking lots of questions about geocaching.

I remember when I first started and I didn't realize you could punch in a waypoint with the coords . . . instead I would look at the coord screen and walk forwards, backwards or sidewards in an effort to get the numbers to match up to the waypoint listed at geocaching.com. :rolleyes: Of course I have a Magellan (actually two) GPSr so now I still do the "dance of the geocachers" even with the plugged in coords. :D

As I said, for me it was simply going out and learning as I went . . . started out with easy rated caches and then progressed to the more difficult caches. I didn't set out my own cache until I had found something like 25 or 50 . . . by then I knew what I did and didn't want to do with my own cache.

As I progressed I learned to come here or the forums at gc.com and ask questions . . . or you could go to an event and ask questions. The key thing is to ask questions.

The nice thing is that the County has several active geocachers and there are some great caches up there . . . one of my all-time favorite caches was one I found at Loring at the site of the old Phish concert.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
12-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Try GSAK (http://gsak.net/). It's very intuitive and easy to use. Free to evaluate for 21 days.

When you get ready to go "paperless" look into cachemate (http://www.smittyware.com).

Plus there is lots of other software out there to fill every other nook and cranny of the geocaching niche. People here will be happy to answer question regarding software plus answer any other questions you may have.

I've also heard that kittens taste like chicken....hmmmmm.....;-)

Cache On!!!!!

Cache Maine
12-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Try GSAK (http://gsak.net/). It's very intuitive and easy to use. Free to evaluate for 21 days.

When you get ready to go "paperless" look into cachemate (http://www.smittyware.com).

Plus there is lots of other software out there to fill every other nook and cranny of the geocaching niche. People here will be happy to answer question regarding software plus answer any other questions you may have.

I've also heard that kittens taste like chicken....hmmmmm.....;-)

Cache On!!!!!

I agree! (Expect for the chicken flavored kittens!)

GSAK can be very intimidating at first. One step at a time with that one. Have you signed up on Geocaching.com to be a premium member? It is well worth the 30/yr. and you get the benefits of pocket queries.

WhereRWe?
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I just loaded easy gps is this a good program to use?

Easy GPS is a good starter program, but you might as well jump right in and get GSAK (which has been mentioned - with a link). It's extremely complex, but it will do anything you want, and you'll soon find that you need more capabilities than Easy GPS, anyway.