View Full Version : Winter Camping Event

tat
12-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Is anyone interested in a Winter Campout Event? Assuming we get some snow, a few of us have been thinking about a winter camp out event at Webb Lake Campground in Mt. Blue State Park. Are there any good/bad weekends in February, perhaps 17/18 or 24/25?

Hiram357
12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Is anyone interested in a Winter Campout Event? Assuming we get some snow, a few of us have been thinking about a winter camp out event at Webb Lake Campground in Mt. Blue State Park. Are there any good/bad weekends in February, perhaps 17/18 or 24/25?

i think with or without snow, it would be good fun :)

attroll
12-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Are your referring to the area where the lean-to's are?

tat
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Are your referring to the area where the lean-to's are?

At the official State Park Campground. There is a beach, a boat ramp and campground.

I think you are refering to the lean to at Parker Trail up Tumbledown, and that was closed to overnight use last year.

Team2hunt
01-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Either of those two weekends are good for the Team.

attroll
01-01-2007, 03:12 AM
At the official State Park Campground. There is a beach, a boat ramp and campground.

I think you are refering to the lean to at Parker Trail up Tumbledown, and that was closed to overnight use last year.

Nope. I have never been to Tumbledown. I am referring to Mount Blue. I was there on the snowmobiles one year. It was just up the road from the park rangers headquarters or some type of headquarters.

tat
01-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Nope. I have never been to Tumbledown. I am referring to Mount Blue. I was there on the snowmobiles one year. It was just up the road from the park rangers headquarters or some type of headquarters.

I was thinking N44 40.777 W70 27.000, but, if you know of a a place with better snowmobile access, post the coords.

Kaching Karen
01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll be in Seattle on the 17th and 18th, hopefully doing some hiking and camping with my daughter. I do fly back on Thursday so should be able to make it on the following weekend. Let me know how I can help? Rick and Tom, aren't you both talking about the same spot?

attroll
01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
I was thinking N44 40.777 W70 27.000, but, if you know of a a place with better snowmobile access, post the coords.

If I knew the coords I would post them, but like I said this was a long time ago. Long before I knew about geocaching and using a GPS. This was more up towards the actual mountain though.

I did however spend a lot of time with delorme topo and google earth and this is where I think the lean-to's are, but I could be wrong. It appears to be at the end of Mount Blue Rd.

N44 43.332
W70 21.732

Haffy
01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Well with both sets of the coordinates that you guys have given this is the map with both sets so you can take it from there.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/MtBlue.jpg

attroll
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Well with both sets of the coordinates that you guys have given this is the map with both sets so you can take it from there.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/MtBlue.jpg
Gee Haffy would could not have figured that out with out you.

Tom is the State park open during February for camping?

tat
01-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I need to recheck the winter camping rules and I'll go up and look at the other site too. I did not know about that one.

attroll
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I need to recheck the winter camping rules and I'll go up and look at the other site too. I did not know about that one.
I don't know about the site I meantioned either and I don't even know if those or the coordinates to the place I have been to, but it looks like it when I looked at google earth. I am not commiting to go to this either, it was just a suggestion. I would like to go if I have nothing else planned but I am not going without bringing a heater for my tent if I do come.

vicbiker
01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't know about the site I meantioned either and I don't even know if those or the coordinates to the place I have been to, but it looks like it when I looked at google earth. I am not commiting to go to this either, it was just a suggestion. I would like to go if I have nothing else planned but I am not going without bringing a heater for my tent if I do come.Rick would the heater be a wood stove:D:D

Hiram357
01-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Rick would the heater be a wood stove:D:D

either that or he's using the buddy system...:rolleyes:

pjpreb
01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Winter camping? Like in *tents*??? :eek: Are you crazy or is frostbite more fun than I think it is??

Haffy
01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I can vaguely remember going on a weekend camping trip in the winter time out to camp Bomazeen ,a boy scout camp on Great Pond many years ago when I was into the whole scouting thing. Some slept in tents and others even went to the extreme of making an igloo and staying overnight in that as well. It was quite fun but I like my warm snuggly bed now and don't have the proper equipment for that type of outing any more. Does bring back some nice memories for sure though. :)

Beach Comber
01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Winter camping? Like in *tents*??? :eek: Are you crazy or is frostbite more fun than I think it is??

:( Frostbite is not fun. Been there, done that!

Hiram357
01-03-2007, 12:09 AM

nah, once the limb goes black ya dont even feel it anymore, and it makes easy to attach a bottle open with just a couple of wood screws! :D :D

WhereRWe?
01-03-2007, 09:48 AM

LOL!

I remember winter camping - as a 14-year old Boy Scout! Nowadays we prefer "winter camping" at Holiday Inn. And while we have a pop-up camper for "summer camping", we like sites with cable TV hookups and WiFi access! LOL!

WhereRWe?
01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Tom is the State park open during February for camping?

I think it's closed. I remember RULOST2? and I tried to do a couple of geocaches in this park last winter - gate CLOSED and locked - road not plowed.

Kaching Karen
01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I called earlier this fall. You can hike in past the gate.

tat
01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I called earlier this fall. You can hike in past the gate.

I will call them on Friday and verify that we can camp overnight and leave cars at the gate. I will also ask about snowmobile access. Regardless of where the event is held, there will be day activities as well as the campout.

Hiram357
01-03-2007, 11:57 PM
I think it's closed. I remember RULOST2? and I tried to do a couple of geocaches in this park last winter - gate CLOSED and locked - road not plowed.

I parked at the gate and hoofed it in last winter (very icy) but the view from mt. blue is very nice (theres ergonomic rocks on the top too! i fell asleep for almost an hour up there) :D

vicbiker
01-04-2007, 06:22 PM
:D[/quote]How would anyone tell the difference between you being awake or asleep.:confused:

Kaching Karen
01-04-2007, 07:25 PM
When I called the park to get details this fall, they told me the Town of Weld maintained a skating rink on the lake. That should be fun if it gets cold enough

robt
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
This sounds like fun, I think I am open most weekends so let me know. I can try out my new snowshoes :)

Haffy
01-04-2007, 08:44 PM
For some reason I just can't picture you on skates and especially camping out in a tent in the winter time Robt............:confused: :D

Hiram357
01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
:DHow would anyone tell the difference between you being awake or asleep.:confused:

when im awake the right hand (with an undisclosed beverage) is raised to my mouth every 2.3 minutes, when i'm asleep those intervals range from 3 to 4.6 minutes :D (so remember your stopwatch!)

Team2hunt
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I will call them on Friday and verify that we can camp overnight and leave cars at the gate. I will also ask about snowmobile access. Regardless of where the event is held, there will be day activities as well as the campout.

" The Almost Winter Camping Event " Hope it gets cold and snows soon. :cool:

Hiram357
01-04-2007, 11:50 PM
" The Almost Winter Camping Event " Hope it gets cold and snows soon. :cool:

yeah, we need a good snowbank to stuff the doctor in :D :D :D

robt
01-05-2007, 03:37 AM
For some reason I just can't picture you on skates and especially camping out in a tent in the winter time Robt............:confused: :D

Haffy,

Skates no but winter camping could be fun, this time I just need to make sure I am outfitted correctly for it. :) So where do I plug in my heater and electric blanket :D Just kidding.

tat
01-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I made quite a few calls today and it seems that you can get almost any answer you want! The most likely answer is that most people winter camp off trail following the same rules as summer backcountry camping. We just might be breaking new ground with a Winter Geocaching Camping Event!

The main concern I heard today is that we make sure the local law enforcement know what we are doing and that all of our cars are parked safely and out of the way of plows.

Another suggestion was Rangely State Park. I'll continue to follow up on the exact location, and I'm sure there is somewhere in western Maine that will work.

The date will be 24/25 Feb. unless someone really wants to change it.

Sudonim
01-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I'd be interested in joining you guys (I'm pretty familiar with the area too), but Pedalchick gave me (us) a weekend in Quebec staying at the Ice Hotel, sounds better to me than a tent :) It'll still be cold, but with amenities.

Hiram357
01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I made quite a few calls today and it seems that you can get almost any answer you want! The most likely answer is that most people winter camp off trail following the same rules as summer backcountry camping. We just might be breaking new ground with a Winter Geocaching Camping Event!

The main concern I heard today is that we make sure the local law enforcement know what we are doing and that all of our cars are parked safely and out of the way of plows.

Another suggestion was Rangely State Park. I'll continue to follow up on the exact location, and I'm sure there is somewhere in western Maine that will work.

The date will be 24/25 Feb. unless someone really wants to change it.

You should also look into Lily Bay State park, One of my favorites :D

Beach Comber
01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I'd be interested in joining you guys (I'm pretty familiar with the area too), but Pedalchick gave me (us) a weekend in Quebec staying at the Ice Hotel, sounds better to me than a tent :) It'll still be cold, but with amenities.

During the Winter Carnival!! Have some Caribou for me :eek:

FuddsGirls
01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
The 24th/25th is open for us. I would love to join you, do I dare with the girls? Is it just a matter of a tent and lots of warm clothes and blankets?

hollora
01-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Can't hold back from a story here - years ago my son came home from High School and announced he had "volunteered" my services as the female "Mom" chaprone for the "Outdoor Education Class Winter Camping Event". I was taken back but he said, "Mom, you only work part time and can pick your hours. There is no other Mom to attend and we need a Mom."

So, I said, "Sure.".... What an experience this was on Moosehead in February back when we got snow. But there was a blessing - after everyone dug into the snow with their tents and I was say - "ohhh is my sleeping bag and clothes warm enough"..........the Teacher/Leader announced that there was an unheated cabin for the adults if desired...........guess where I stayed?

Actually a really fun event but a once in a life time experience for me. Cross country skiing and falling down, ice fishing with kids and dropping the chopping thing into the hole - oh my.........I prefer summer. But enjoy all! It can be fun - it is what you make it!

vicbiker
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I've been watching this thread closely as I'm always interested in winter camping.One thing to check on is if fires are permitted.A winter camping trip without a fire is not a lot of fun.I usually hike and winter camp Bigelow mountain and the state allows no fires.When it gets dark at 4:30 it makes a long night without the fire to sit around.Also if novice campers are going you don't want to be a long way from the vehicles,as some one will surely want to go home before morning.

I'm still planning to do some kind of an event this winter if we ever get any snow.I talked with my friend Jim the other day and he said we could camp on his land.We did this two years ago and had a real good time.Its located on the Kingsbury Stream here in Abbot and is only a mile from my house if it gets to cold for anybody.We haul a big pasta supper in to the site and cooked it on a wood fire.Then hung out drinking hot chocolate and eating hotmade organic cookies.

We just need snow.

Team2hunt
01-06-2007, 10:50 AM
During the Winter Carnival!! Have some Caribou for me :eek:

BOU!! :eek: to you. Can you bring us back a bottle and give it to Mainiac? Thanks a million. Literally! :rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
01-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, I seem have run out of BOU last summer. ;)