View Full Version : RE: Computer help needed

firefighterjake
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
OK, here's the short story. My computer will not allow me to hyper-link (at least I think that's the right term). For example, I tried to open the link to Groleau's puzzle for his latest cache posted at geocaching.com and nothing happens . . . this has also been a problem at other sites where I try to open a link and nothing. Any suggestions.

. . . And if you're so inclined to read . . . here's the long story. I'm a computer idiot. Yeah, shocking, huh? But it's true.

My computer woes began a little before Christmas when I realized I needed to renew my anti-virus subscription. I was going to simply renew it when I noticed for $5 more I could update to the 2007 version so I figured, "Hey, why not? Sounds like a deal." So I typed in the required info and credit card info and began the download . . . and I waited . . . and waited some more since I have dial-up at home.

Eventually the program downloaded and began to install . . . until I got a message saying I didn't have administrator permission or something like that to install the program. I dutifully followed the directions provided by Norton until I reached a point where I was told to change something regarding the administrator and/or permittees (or something like that) . . . and I realized my computer didn't have this listed.

So I went back and bought and installed the old anti-virus software (after the folks at Norton said they would cancel my first order). I installed it and everything seemed hunky dory . . . until my wife mentioned that two PC games that I bought for her wouldn't load due to ikernel.exe and class not being found . . . whatever that meant. After much searching on-line for an answer and trying everything under the sun . . . and coming up empty -- I had an inspiration -- I would go back a few months and load up a saved copy of my computer.

This fixed the problem with the games loading and everything seemed to be great. My anti-virus program was up and running, the new games I bought Heidi worked and things were A-OK . . . until my wife mentioned that another computer game that was working before no longer worked -- followed shortly afterwards by my discovery that I could not bring up links at various webpages . . . and followed by another discovery that all of the lists of options (i.e. enable/disable Java, enable/disable Earl Grey tea, etc.) under the Internet "advanced" settings that I had seen listed before were nowhere to be found.

And so now I have a few games that work, an anti-virus program that seems to be working . . . but links are out of commission and at least one of my wife's games that did work no longer does . . . and that's the long story.

So . . . any suggestions for a computer moron?

Hiram357
01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
It sounds to me like you have a pop up blocker enabled, when you click on a link and its supposed to open a new page in a new window it won't allow it. I have an irritating blocker that does the same thing, i have to turn it off when i edit web pages and stuff like, but i have an icon on my toolbar so it just takes one click to turn off and on. But im sure if you spend some time with your software you should be able to find yours in your internet settings.

brdad
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I wish I knew more, but two things I do know, or at least have an opinion of:

I know someone who recently had trouble opeining links in IE that were supposed to open a new window. We upgraded to IE 7 and it works now. Not sure if that was the right cure or if it'll come back, but it's been good for nearly a month.

I gave up on any Norton Programs a few years ago. I'm not sure about the newer versions, but at that time Norton programs all but took over the system and was always causing problems and using up memory. For antivirus now, I use Avast! (http://www.avast.com/). It seems to works well on 2 PCs and a laptop here, updates automatically without issue, and it's free!

firefighterjake
01-04-2007, 01:27 PM
It sounds to me like you have a pop up blocker enabled, when you click on a link and its supposed to open a new page in a new window it won't allow it. I have an irritating blocker that does the same thing, i have to turn it off when i edit web pages and stuff like, but i have an icon on my toolbar so it just takes one click to turn off and on. But im sure if you spend some time with your software you should be able to find yours in your internet settings.

I did think of that . . . but it fails to work with the Pop-up blocker turned off or on.

firefighterjake
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I wish I knew more, but two things I do know, or at least have an opinion of:

I know someone who recently had trouble opeining links in IE that were supposed to open a new window. We upgraded to IE 7 and it works now. Not sure if that was the right cure or if it'll come back, but it's been good for nearly a month.

I gave up on any Norton Programs a few years ago. I'm not sure about the newer versions, but at that time Norton programs all but took over the system and was always causing problems and using up memory. For antivirus now, I use Avast! (http://www.avast.com/). It seems to works well on 2 PCs and a laptop here, updates automatically without issue, and it's free!

I've already upgraded to IE 7 so it appears as though this possible solution is a no-go.

I'll have to look into Avast! . . . is it as good and up-to-date as Norton?

attroll
01-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Click the TOOLS menu in you IE7 and then click Pop-up Blocker and see if that is turned on.

Haffy
01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I have been using AVG antivirus for many years and that is free as well. I like those words too,,,,,FREE. If you are using windows XP maybe you could do a system restore to a point before you started having the trouble. That has gotten me out of a lot of trouble in the past.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Jason, what are you using for AV Software?

brdad
01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
FFJ, I've had no trouble yet with Avast! yet. It updates daily as a rule, of course if you have dial up it may not be as convinient, but not much is on dial up! But it's quite transparent on broadband, and no infections yet after a ferw years of using it.

He said Norton

firefighterjake
01-04-2007, 05:26 PM

Norton 2005

dí76
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I told you Jake that looking at all those types of websites was going to catch up with you:D :p

firefighterjake
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm still being stymied and desperately need help.

I don't know if I'm explaining my problem well enough so I'll attempt to walk you smarter folks through a typical problem.

I type in www.brookingssmith.com (http://www.brookingssmith.com) for example and I am brought to the website. However, when I attempt to click on the "obituaries" link nothing happens . . . no redirection.

Sudonim
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm still being stymied and desperately need help.

I don't know if I'm explaining my problem well enough so I'll attempt to walk you smarter folks through a typical problem.

I type in www.brookingssmith.com (http://www.brookingssmith.com) for example and I am brought to the website. However, when I attempt to click on the "obituaries" link nothing happens . . . no redirection.

Sounds like the link is dead :p

firefighterjake
01-04-2007, 07:52 PM

But it doesn't bring me to another page that says something to that effect . . . it just does nothing. Nothing pops up on the page, nothing is loaded, nothing changes . . . plus I can bring this up at my work computer with no problems.

robt
01-04-2007, 07:54 PM

I just tried the link and it worked for me, you might try clearing your temp files and cookies

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
FFJ, Are you running both NAV firewall and Windows XP firewall? If so try turning off the Windows XP firewall and see if you can follow the links.

Zoltarus
01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Try using Netscape Or Try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/ you may have to enter it manually . . . lol

Mainiac1957
01-04-2007, 08:17 PM
We here too have been using AVG Free for years on all our computers. Nothing has ever sneaked by it. I've never tried any others because I didn't need too. But I'm sure that it's just one of many reliable AV softwares available. Good luck Jake.

Cache Maine
01-04-2007, 09:17 PM

Sudy, you are hilarious. I don't think anyone else caught that. Thanks for the laugh. :)

attroll
01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Norton 2005
Try turning your norton anti virus off and see if it works. It's it either Norton or Macafee, I can not remember witch one. I does weird things depending on how the pages and images are titled.

Sudonim
01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Sudy, you are hilarious. I don't think anyone else caught that. Thanks for the laugh. :)

I'm glad someone got it:D

Mainiac1957
01-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I just didn't want to encourage you.:rolleyes: ;)

becket
01-05-2007, 06:23 AM
I just didn't want to encourage you.:rolleyes: ;)me, too! it was really funny, though!

firefighterjake
01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm glad someone got it:D

I'm just very, very slow on the uptake and didn't "get it" until Cameo pointed it out. Very clever.

firefighterjake
01-05-2007, 09:07 AM
FFJ, Are you running both NAV firewall and Windows XP firewall? If so try turning off the Windows XP firewall and see if you can follow the links.

Showing my ignorance again . . . how do I turn these off?

firefighterjake
01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
On another unrelated (I think) question . . . I tried to load one of my wife's computer games which is an older game -- Clue, Murder at Boddy Mansion. It loads fine, but when you go to play the game it kind of locks up and a message pops up saying my virtual memory is low. Any idea on how to fix this?

This just goes to show me that sometimes I really shouldn't mess with things . . . i.e. updating to IE 7, updating to NAV 2007, updating to a car built in the 21st century, etc.:D

team moxiepup
01-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Virginia Tech has a very easy step by step knowledge base.
Just type in virual memory and it has a few steps for you to follow.
http://answers.vt.edu/

Hope this helps.

firefighterjake
01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Under the recommendation of my cousin's husband who is a computer-tech at the Lewiston-Auburn paper I downloaded and started using Mozilla's Firefox and all of my "link" problems went away . . . I'm starting to think this whole issue has had something to do with the IE update (and I've heard from a few other folks at an ATV BBS that have had problems with the update appearing to "not play well with others/software") so I might try to revert back to the older IE version . . . now how do I do this???

Thanks for everyone's help. It was a real pain in the patooey since I couldn't even log a "maintenance done" entry on a couple of my caches through my home computer.

Haffy
01-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Hmmm that is weird cause I have the latest IE version and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

firefighterjake
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Hmmm that is weird cause I have the latest IE version and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

It's me Haffy . . . these things just seem to happen to me . . . it's my Irish luck. :) Actually, I'm wondering if it's possible that it was some sort of interaction between the Norton Anti Virus program and new IE since the IE didn't have problems until I updated the NAV.

Beach Comber
01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
The computer guys that I take mine to when I need it looked at have told me on a couple of occasions that they don't recommend Norton becuase it is quirky and they have seen lots of people have problems with it.