View Full Version : Wwwwww3

WhereRWe?
01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
We're looking at February 17 for the 3d annual Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding (WWWWWW3).

Anyone know of any MAJOR conflict why this would not be a good weekend?

(NO! Your New Year's resolution to lose weight is NOT a reason!)

:D :D :D

Beach Comber
01-06-2007, 07:13 PM
The only thing I can think of is that it is the beginning of school vacation so it might be a conflict for those families with children that have plans to travel that week.

Haffy
01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Or a good opportunity if not traveling to bring the kiddoes.

Foxgloves
02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Any suggestions for a nice 1-2 mile hike (with a cache) near the location of this event that I might be able to do after the event if there is time? I'm bringing all my gear and will have my snowshoes w/me too.

How long does this event usually last?

team teebow
02-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Can't think of any here.

Doesn't matter what weekend you choose, you can't please everyone. So we say "go for it!"

Beach Comber
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Not sure about a hike, but there is a great walking trail very close to the event. This is a cache that is along the way.........

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=54a1176d-6b16-4b81-9cc7-6ca7e0ddea05

Hiram357
02-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Waterville Rotary Club Hiking Trail GCTJ59 Is a nice little walk, and it's about 5 minutes away from the location of the event, it's at the end of the trail that "Acer Sachahahciahciahearmiriurm" is on. And there are quite a few around waterville (I have about 6 in the area) that range from a nice stroll through the park to a quick grab n' go, and theres also a few nice trail system ones around the Colby area.

firefighterjake
02-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I can't think of any hikes that would be 1-2 miles, but there are some nice ones that are a bit shorter.

Oxbow Nature Trail . . . nice view of a waterfall
Perkins Sanctuary . . . a pretty hemlock grove out near Colby College
Waterville Rotary Club . . . a nice walk along the riverside
TeePee Treasures . . . a scenic vista of the city

Acer Sac . . . as mentioned this is the closest and can be combined with Waterville Rotary Club

If you have your heart set on a longer hike and are willing to travel a bit you can always do the Goodwill Hinckley School Nature Trail multi . . . and I believe there is a micro there as well.

If you're into history in nearby Benton/Fairfield there is the Mill Island Power Plant and Mill Island Multi that are pretty neat.

And if you like devious micros you can try Right in Plain Sight, Old 470 and The Lombard Hauler (the last of which I still have not found) . . . all of which also give the added benefit of a mini history lesson.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
02-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Round Top (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a18a2af6-f5cc-4943-9617-ea571992bcc1) (GCJM13)would be a decent hike and that is only 10 miles away.

Foxgloves
02-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanx for the suggestions...I will try and do some of these if there is time.

and yeah...I LOVE devious hides...and micros in the woods...Micros are my favorite. especially in the winter....
the challenge....Oh the challenge.......Bring em on!

Hiram357
02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Round Top (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a18a2af6-f5cc-4943-9617-ea571992bcc1) (GCJM13)would be a decent hike and that is only 10 miles away.

That one is by far one of my favorite mt. hikes, theres a few other caches on the local mounds surrounding this one. (like "the mountain" and "frenches Mt." and "NS1DRs") If you use the googlemap on the gc.com all of these will pop up. :D

tat
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
That one is by far one of my favorite mt. hikes, theres a few other caches on the local mounds surrounding this one. (like "the mountain" and "frenches Mt." and "NS1DRs") If you use the googlemap on the gc.com all of these will pop up. :D

I was thinking of suggesting exactly the same caches!!
:)

Hiram357
02-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I was thinking of suggesting exactly the same caches!!
:)

ya know they say great minds think alike.... i'm not sure if i qualify for that category.... :rolleyes:

Foxgloves
02-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Does this Deli where the event will be have a website?

brdad
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM

http://big-g-s-deli.com/

Hiram357
02-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Just ate there again tonight (on average i go there about every other week)... if you have never eaten here, you have not lived, they have a sandwich to satisfy every taste bud in your body. :D

Foxgloves
02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
You're not kidding..thats quite a sandwich menu!

I like going to these type establishments....its hard to find a really good deli and one that offers sprouts and homemade bread.
I'm picky in that way...

I wondered how big this deli was and how it would fit everybody in but it looks like a huge place...

firefighterjake
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Just ate there again tonight (on average i go there about every other week)... if you have never eaten here, you have not lived, they have a sandwich to satisfy every taste bud in your body. :D

I'm rather to ordering up the Miles Standish when I go there . . . although I often find myself drooling over many of the other sandwich choices.

Haffy
02-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I wondered how big this deli was and how it would fit everybody in but it looks like a huge place...

We filled up the banquet room and had people spilling out into other parts of the restaurant last year. Looks like we just may have to find a larger place if it keeps getting any bigger. :D

WhereRWe?
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I saw the other responses, but you could also have checked the "hint" on the cache listing page! LOL! ;) ;)

And yes, eating there is QUITE the experience. :D :D

WhereRWe?
02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
We filled up the banquet room and had people spilling out into other parts of the restaurant last year. Looks like we just may have to find a larger place if it keeps getting any bigger. :D

We considered a new venue this year, but so many people wanted to keep it at the same place...

This will be less of a "formal" event and more of a "get together" than we've had in past years. We'll have our laptop and can demonstrate the software we have, and there were a couple of other people at Kaching Karen's event that had software I hadn't seen before (not sure what the name of one of the people was or I'd mention it).

Be ready to socialize!

Haffy
02-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Formal? What was so formal about either of the other events that was had there? :)

brdad
02-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Formal? What was so formal about either of the other events that was had there? :)

Don't you remember? Bruce was all dressed up and beard nicely trimmed. Or was that Judy? :D

Hiram357
02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm rather to ordering up the Miles Standish when I go there . . . although I often find myself drooling over many of the other sandwich choices.

gueido sarduchi and bill cosby are my favorites, may other favorites include all the other sandwiches that start with a letter of the alphabet. :D

Beach Comber
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't you remember? Bruce was all dressed up and beard nicely trimmed. Or was that Judy? :D

:eek: Heeeyyyyy - I heard that - LOL :p

firefighterjake
02-09-2007, 06:56 AM

Bruce was the guy in the tux, right? :D

WhereRWe?
02-09-2007, 07:39 PM
gueido sarduchi and bill cosby are my favorites, may other favorites include all the other sandwiches that start with a letter of the alphabet. :D

I really think they should update the names - a lot of them probably don't mean anything to kids like you... :p :p

(I like the Dr. Johnny Fever... :D :D )

WhereRWe?
02-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Bruce was the guy in the tux, right? :D

LOL! My ever-present Old Navy pullovers - have 3 of them!! (Love that pouch in front! LOL!)

Mainiac1957
02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
I will be driving the geomobile down to the event on Saturday alone at this point. Is anyone in the Bangor area interested in joining me? I may or may not be looking to do a few group caches down there. Depends... Speak up if you are, interested that is. IM, PM, E-mail, phone call, smoke signal, whatever.

Beach Comber
02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I will!! What time will you pick me up? hehehehehe

Mainiac1957
02-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Just be at my house around, let's say 9ish.;)

Beach Comber
02-15-2007, 08:08 PM
okey dokey :p

LaughingTerry
02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey Buce, did you get the e-mail I sent you about the walking stick?

attroll
02-16-2007, 01:30 AM
I am going to try and make it, but right now it is not looking good. Since we had Wednesday off I think we are going to have to make up for it by working Saturday.

WhereRWe?
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey Buce, did you get the e-mail I sent you about the walking stick?

No - sorry, Terry.

attroll
02-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I want to thank everyone for a great time at the event today. It was nice seeing everyone again. I have not been to the last couple of events and I forgot about all the great karma that radiates from these events. It was nice to jump back in the circuit again.

The snowshoe trip to Etna Bog to do a cache after the event was just what I needed to get myself out of the slump I have been in for the last couple of weeks. It is nice being around such a great group of cachers.

Sabby, you are always great company, it is nice to see cachers from out of state coming up here to share and spend time with us.

Foxglove, you are a great person and I hope some day you do move to Maine to join our caching community. You need to get Friday the 2nd of March off so you can come up here for our first winter camping and caching event. You just add to the group fun we have.

On our snowshoe trip in Garry has reassured me (I think) that I will be fine with the overnighter. So right now I am planning on doing the overnighter unless I have to work that Saturday.

I can not express what great time I have today. I wanted to thank everyone for lifting my spirits.

Hiram357
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I want to thank everyone for a great time at the event today. It was nice seeing everyone again. I have not been to the last couple of events and I forgot about all the great karma that radiates from these events. It was nice to jump back in the circuit again.

The snowshoe trip to Etna Bog to do a cache after the event was just what I needed to get myself out of the slump I have been in for the last couple of weeks. It is nice being around such a great group of cachers.

Sabby, you are always great company, it is nice to see cachers from out of state coming up here to share and spend time with us.

Foxglove, you are a great person and I hope some day you do move to Maine to join our caching community. You need to get Friday the 2nd of March off so you can come up here for our first winter camping and caching event. You just add to the group fun we have.

On our snowshoe trip in Garry has reassured me (I think) that I will be fine with the overnighter. So right now I am planning on doing the overnighter unless I have to work that Saturday.

I can not express what great time I have today. I wanted to thank everyone for lifting my spirits.

Welcome back Rick! Glad we could help! :D

And I do agree that the event and the bog trip were both extremely fun.

Foxgloves
02-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Just wanted to thank you all for such a wonderful time today and making me feel so welcome. I felt very at ease with the group and its always fun to meet other outdoor enthusiasts and those that love snow!!! LoL

Please keep me in the loop as to other outings you may have this summer. I’m going to try and make it to Maine as much as possible and am hoping to do some camping near Katadin too.

vicbiker
02-17-2007, 11:43 PM
I would just like to take this opportunity to reaffirm what Rick has already said.Spending time with friends,doing things you like to do,is what life is suppose to be.I'm always amazed by the up lifting affects nature can have on a person.I'm especially glad today had that affect on you Rick.

Liz was a special treat.Always great to see some one do there first cache.Imagine Etna Bog being your first cache!!Gotta go up hill from here.

Foxgloves it was great to put a face to all that Vt. wisdom we are always reading.As Rick has already said you need to take that friday off from work.How many opportunities do you get to camp in Abbot Me.Work has a way of ruining a lot of fun things.

Thanks everyone for today,see you in two weeks.