View Full Version : Winter Campout Event WITH Snow!!

tat
01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
OK, I can't promise snow, but there is some good news!!

Vicbiker has secured a place to hold the event and has agreed to co-host the event. Together, we hope to have some activities that everyone will enjoy. We would also like to change the date to the first weekend in March (3rd and 4th) to allow for more snow and give us more time to get things set up. If this is a problem for anyone, please let us know.

Thanks Vickbiker!!!

Mainiac1957
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Now that weekend I should be able to make. I think:rolleyes:

vicbiker
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I have been offered private land to hold this winter camping event on.This land is just down stream from the cache at barrows falls on the piscatiquis river.This means we can have fires and snow sleds are allowed.The Abbot snowmobile club has a trail that goes through the land and connects to ITS 95.

Tat and I will be getting together to come up with the complete itinerary.Some winter caches,a night cache,snow shoe trips,cross country skiing,snowmobiling and what ever else anyone wants to do.

If anyone has any ideas or sugestions please lets us know.Tat has a good link which I will have him post to this site on winter camping.We'll be publishing a list of essentials for a good and safe winter camping trip.

Any one thats not into camping can still come join us during the day time for some fun and games.Once we find out if kids will be attending we can plan some stuff for them.

THINK SNOW!!!!!

tat
01-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Here's a place to start if you want some tips on what to bring and how to keep warm: http://www.backpacking.net/wintertips.html

Hiram357
01-11-2007, 12:36 AM
[quote=vicbiker;27010]This means we can have fires and snow sleds are allowed.[quote]

Will the Jeep fit? :D

brdad
01-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Is there a Hotel nearby?

firefighterjake
01-11-2007, 07:00 AM
[quote=vicbiker;27010]This means we can have fires and snow sleds are allowed.[quote]

Will the Jeep fit? :D

Good idea . . . if folks get too cold you can toss the Jeep on to the bon fire. ;) :D

Hiram357
01-11-2007, 08:55 AM
[quote=Hiram357;27014][quote=vicbiker;27010]This means we can have fires and snow sleds are allowed.

Good idea . . . if folks get too cold you can toss the Jeep on to the bon fire. ;) :D

That was low... even for you....:p

firefighterjake
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
[quote=firefighterjake;27018][quote=Hiram357;27014]

That was low... even for you....:p

Sorry . . . the set up was too much for me to resist . . . I just had to take a pot shot . . . on a serious note, how is the status of the Jeep . . . for that matter how are you and Steph . . . haven't heard from you guys in forever.

vicbiker
01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Will the Jeep fit? :D[/quote] Where do you want it to fit?:confused:I've checked Jake and for eviromental reasons we can't burn it.We could gut it out,bury it with snow,turn it into a igloo.With the addition of a stove and gas lights Brdad could use it for a hotel:D

Hiram357
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Will the Jeep fit? :D Where do you want it to fit?:confused:I've checked Jake and for eviromental reasons we can't burn it.We could gut it out,bury it with snow,turn it into a igloo.With the addition of a stove and gas lights Brdad could use it for a hotel:D[/quote]

*sigh* WILL THE CAMPSITE BE WITHIN PARKING DISTANCE(accesable by vehicle)?????? I for one am one of those campers that doesn't like to haul things around, that's why I have the Jeep, it's small and lightweight so it makes for easier towing to the campsite. :D

Hiram357
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
[quote=Hiram357;27020][quote=firefighterjake;27018]

Sorry . . . the set up was too much for me to resist . . . I just had to take a pot shot . . . on a serious note, how is the status of the Jeep . . . for that matter how are you and Steph . . . haven't heard from you guys in forever.

yeah, I know how you Magellan users are... :p The Jeep is still running (my wallet dry) Stef is just about to start her final semester and I'm hopefully about to start another new job (one that allows more time for caching) :D

Team2hunt
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
[quote=firefighterjake;27022][quote=Hiram357;27020]

yeah, I know how you Magellan users are... :p The Jeep is still running (my wallet dry) Stef is just about to start her final semester and I'm hopefully about to start another new job (one that allows more time for caching) :D

Will I still get to see you on the highway and grab a cache or too? Is the Jeep still running? It can always be towed!

Hiram357
01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
[quote=Hiram357;27031][quote=firefighterjake;27022]

Will I still get to see you on the highway and grab a cache or too? Is the Jeep still running? It can always be towed! yes, yes, and yes (but my new truck will have lettering on it, so i cant just ditch it at a park and ride, i'll have to cover it with branches or something) :D

tat
01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
[quote=Team2hunt;27076][quote=Hiram357;27031] yes, yes, and yes (but my new truck will have lettering on it, so i cant just ditch it at a park and ride, i'll have to cover it with branches or something) :D
Like a big cache!

Hiram357
01-11-2007, 11:44 PM
[quote=Hiram357;27077][quote=Team2hunt;27076]
Like a big cache!

lol! yeah, somethin like that... But back on topic here... can we drive to the camping location?

vicbiker
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM
lol! yeah, somethin like that... But back on topic here... can we drive to the camping location?This is a winter camping event.We were hoping to hold it in the woods.:confused::confused::confused:Although I haven't pinned down the final spot where we will actually camp its safe to say that it will be a half mile or so from the road.
If you are scared of the moose and bears,you could always sleep in the jeep.:D:D:D
It'll be acessable by snow sleds so some one can tote your gear in for you,if thats your concern.:D:D:DProbably some one could even give you a ride in, as at your age walking a half mile most be differcult. :D:D:DAaron we'll do what ever it takes to make this a pleasent experience for you.:):):)

tat
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Don't forget, snow makes it very easy to move lots of stuff! Get one of those $10 plastic toboggans, load it up and it will pull very easily on the snow.

Hiram357
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM
This is a winter camping event.We were hoping to hold it in the woods.:confused::confused::confused:Although I haven't pinned down the final spot where we will actually camp its safe to say that it will be a half mile or so from the road.
If you are scared of the moose and bears,you could always sleep in the jeep.:D:D:D
It'll be acessable by snow sleds so some one can tote your gear in for you,if thats your concern.:D:D:DProbably some one could even give you a ride in, as at your age walking a half mile most be differcult. :D:D:DAaron we'll do what ever it takes to make this a pleasent experience for you.:):):)

Ya know I am halfway to 50, this stuff is rough on an old guy like me. :p

vicbiker
01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Hiked into the river this morning,found a great spot for the event.Its at N45 13.799/W069 31.337 if anyone wants to check it out on thier mapping software.Its .68 miles from the road and about .4 miles from the Big Pine Riders snowmobile trail.With just a little cutting of fallen trees I'll be able to get the snow sleds with in a few hundred yards of the camp site.This site is about two acres of flat ground right on the river.There is running water from a spring and plenty of fire wood.

I know some of us are snowshoers and some of us are snowmobilers.So what are your thoughts on how close do we want the snowsleds?I'm thinking a few hundred yards,but will listen to the majority.I think a snow shoe trail and a separate snowsled trail might work.This will give us purist more of a wilderness experience.Give Tat and I some feed back.

Hiram357
01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I could go either way with the majority, I love sucking back some exhaust as much as the next person, but I also love a nice hike with just snowshoes. :D

attroll
01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't know if I will make it or spend the night yet. If I were to come and bring my snowmobile I would want to be within eyesight of my sled.

Team2hunt
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
I know some of us are snowshoers and some of us are snowmobilers.So what are your thoughts on how close do we want the snowsleds?I'm thinking a few hundred yards,but will listen to the majority.I think a snow shoe trail and a separate snowsled trail might work.This will give us purist more of a wilderness experience.Give Tat and I some feed back.

Since my jetski is up for the winter and the river may have some ice on it. I'll be trying to get in by snowshoes. The hike is fine and the area sounds GREAT! Can't wait. Even is starting to look like winter outside today.

tat
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
The event is now officially posted!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=402747c9-a270-43da-8b5a-edf8b8057d1c

vicbiker
01-28-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/medium/100_1098.JPG

Checking the site and enjoying the fire.

hollora
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks like you folks will have a good time. Plan on joining us for an inside event the next weekend if you can - lots of fun surprises.

Team2hunt
01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
As you can see we had a great time, out in the middle of Monson. The temps Saturday night got down below 0. -6 we think. We have all survived and even walked up the frozen Piscataqua river and got Barrow's Falls cache this morning. I can't wait to go back in March. Thanks Vic for being our guide.

hollora
01-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Got to admit - it does look like fun - about 10 years earlier than I am now LOL To all who do the adventure - I know you will enjoy. Vic should be a super guide. How fortunate to have a place to use if this is something you like to do.

This is what makes Geocaching so much fun - if you engage and do the research - there is something for everyone. Easy, extreme, all season, all terrains, you name it something for young and old.

Foxgloves
02-01-2007, 10:27 PM
or you could just turn it over to Foxgloves. I have always wanted a Jeep (Rubicon) :)

Back to the winter camping event....it sounds like a lot of fun. If there is a campfire/bonfire how can I resist?
I have all the camping gear in the world and have camped in cold weather before but never on snow....and its something I would like to conquer. I only have a 3 season tent though but have a special catalytic heater to put in my tent if it gets really cold...I've used it once and it works like a charm....

I'll have to check my schedule.....

Will the Jeep fit? :D Where do you want it to fit?:confused:I've checked Jake and for eviromental reasons we can't burn it.We could gut it out,bury it with snow,turn it into a igloo.With the addition of a stove and gas lights Brdad could use it for a hotel:D[/quote]

attroll
02-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Vic

I have some questions on the winter camping area.

I noticed the sled parking is is 1.10 miles from the camping are. Is that just where we are suppose to unload our sleds or is that where we have to park them at night if we stay the night. i was hoping to have my sled within eyesight.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/medium/wintercamp.jpg

tat
02-02-2007, 07:34 AM
There is a big parking area at the boat ramp that will allow more room for trailers. There are established sled trails between the other parking areas. If we get a little more snow, you will be able to sled right up to the camp area.

vicbiker
02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
There are lots of choices for those of you coming by sled.As Tat has said you can park at the boat launch on Piper Pd.Number Seven has a big yard we can use and he's right next to the boat launch.You could even park at the Abbot snowmobile club house.The trail from there to the camping area is about six miles.Members of the snowmobile club are going to make a trail right to the campsite,they just need a little more snow.They even plan to drag the trail so you'll be able to park your sled right next to your tent.Rick you could even sleep with it if you want!!Hope this answer some of the questions.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
02-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Greetings from Punxsutawney!

Phil Says Spring is Right Around the Corner!

Phil's official forecast as read 2/2/07 at 7:28 a.m. at Gobbler's Knob:
El Nino has caused high winds, heavy snow, ice and freezing temperatures in the west.
Here in the East with much mild winter weather we have been blessed.
Global warming has caused a great debate.
This mild winter makes it seem just great.
On this Groundhog Day we think of one thing.
Will we have winter or will we have spring?
On Gobbler's Knob I see no shadow today.
I predict that early spring is on the way.

Whew, I like warm weather....LOL:D

Hiram357
02-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Greetings from Punxsutawney!

Phil's official forecast as read 2/2/07 at 7:28 a.m. at Gobbler's Knob:

El Nino has caused high winds, heavy snow, ice and freezing temperatures in the west.

Here in the East with much mild winter weather we have been blessed.

Global warming has caused a great debate.

This mild winter makes it seem just great.

On this Groundhog Day we think of one thing.

Will we have winter or will we have spring?

On Gobbler's Knob I see no shadow today.

I predict that early spring is on the way.

Whew, I like warm weather....LOL:D

I know of a warm place you snow haters can go... :p

have there been any arrangements made about cooking (anyone brining a grill or anything, should we come prepared to be self sufficient?)

tat
02-02-2007, 06:49 PM
There will likely be enough stoves to share, but you are certainly welcome to bring a grill. There will also be a fire.

tat
02-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Who cares what the weather is going to be in PA! We're getting 3-5"!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Foxgloves
02-02-2007, 10:04 PM
have there been any arrangements made about cooking (anyone brining a grill or anything, should we come prepared to be self sufficient?)

Oh I thought it was going to be a buffet where everyone brings a "Mountain House" dehydrated food dinner packet......adds water and shares with everyone else..:D

Hiram357
02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Who cares what the weather is going to be in PA! We're getting 3-5"!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!! :D :D :D

Hiram357
02-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh I thought it was going to be a buffet where everyone brings a "Mountain House" dehydrated food dinner packet......adds water and shares with everyone else..:D

Sure beats my usual of beef jerky and pringles. :D

Hiram357
02-02-2007, 10:50 PM
There will likely be enough stoves to share, but you are certainly welcome to bring a grill. There will also be a fire.

(I know I need to learn to use the multiquote thing...)

I have a portable grill I can bring if needed, how many other people are planning on bringing one?

robt
02-02-2007, 10:58 PM
So I take it MRE's are out too :)

I did not think about food on the trip...... more things to plan out.

vicbiker
02-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I know of a warm place you snow haters can go... :p

Why do you need a grill if your diet is beer?Do you have to warm it up in cold weather?

Hiram357
02-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Why do you need a grill if your diet is beer?Do you have to warm it up in cold weather?

geeeze I try and ask a serious question and ya just gotta drag me back down to my level... :rolleyes:

it is nice to have a hot buttered rum in the winter though. ;)

Sudonim
02-03-2007, 11:38 AM
geeeze I try and ask a serious question and ya just gotta drag me back down to my level... :rolleyes:

Make sure the butters warm, or it will be hard to spread on the rum:p

vicbiker
02-03-2007, 11:58 AM

Hiram I most apologize for offending your sensitive nature.As Tat has said we'll have a fire going at all times.I'll have a cooking grill we can use on the fire.I'll also have a couple of propane stoves available as I'm sure others will too.We won't let you starve. As a young person I remember reading books like North West Passage and the stories of them drinking hot buttered rum at the end of each day.I envisioned these to be a drink like maybe maple syrup with a little butter floating on top.When I finally got to try one on a ice fishing trip to Ragged Lake one winter I soon discovered they weren't what I thought.More like gasoline with little butter mix in.

becket
02-03-2007, 03:41 PM
As a young person I remember reading books like North West Passage and the stories of them drinking hot buttered rum at the end of each day.I envisioned these to be a drink like maybe maple syrup with a little butter floating on top.When I finally got to try one on a ice fishing trip to Ragged Lake one winter I soon discovered they weren't what I thought.More like gasoline with little butter mix in.oh! the horror! i LOVED reading kenneth roberts books and i, too, always tried to imagine what the hot buttered rum tasted like. i thought it would be so awesome. guess i'll just take your word for it now. :D actually, i have most of the books - i think i'll go read one...or two.

Hiram357
02-04-2007, 09:15 PM
More like gasoline with little butter mix in.

I know! isn't it great! warms ya right up! :D :D

btw... I was obsessing over one of my favorite past times tonight (gawking over camping equipment I can't afford) and stumbled across this...

http://www.backpacking.net/wintertips.html

attroll
02-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Vic or those that have went to visit the caping area.

How much room do we have for camping?
How big of a tent can we bring?

I may try and head up there this weekend on my Snowmobile and check on the site Sunday. Are there any othe snowmobilers wanting to go with me?

tat
02-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Vic or those that have went to visit the caping area.

How much room do we have for camping?
How big of a tent can we bring?

I may try and head up there this weekend on my Snowmobile and check on the site Sunday. Are there any othe snowmobilers wanting to go with me?

There is a marsh with lots of room, bring as big a tent as you can carry. If you want to be in the trees (to get out of the wind), a smaller tent is easier to place.

Sabby
02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Too bad this could not be Mexico, ME :)

Check this snow report out!

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=070210&cat=news&st=newsd8n6v6a01&src=ap

tat
02-10-2007, 06:16 PM
WOW! That gave me an idea. Anyone up for getting lots of snow trucks (they're not doing anything) and helping these people out by bringing the snow to Maine's trails!

attroll
02-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Me and Hiram are heading on tomorrow on the sleds and parking my truck at Newport in the morning and will be riding the sleds to Greenville and back. We are going to try and stop at the camping area along the way and check it out. Will keep everyone posted.

vicbiker
02-11-2007, 05:01 PM
You never know what you may run into in the woods these days.As I was walking back to my car today after snowshoeing into the camping site I came across a couple of characters.Turns out it was Rick and Aaron on their snow sleds.We all went back to the site, sat around the fire and talked over the up coming event.A good time was had by all.

Hiram357
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
You never know what you may run into in the woods these days.As I was walking back to my car today after snowshoeing into the camping site I came across a couple of characters.Turns out it was Rick and Aaron on their snow sleds.We all went back to the site, sat around the fire and talked over the up coming event.A good time was had by all.

Yeah, we stopped in abbot on our way back and grabbed a couple of sandwiches... you should've seen the kinda ruffians that hang out in that general store. :rolleyes:

The campsite looks pretty nice, we're going to definitely try hard to make this one. (anyone gunna bring a bucket with a toilet seat on it?):)
The hike in and out wasn't bad at all, and the ducks hang out in trees!! (must be those abbot ducks) Where is it that were all gunna park vic? will we be able to drive down and park where we parked the sleds?

attroll
02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
My two cents.

Slow Poke (I mean Hiram) and I went snowmobiling today with the goal in mind to fine the winter camping event location. We found the directions misleading. I have posted the proper direction from the ITS below. We did find the location though. We ran into Vic while he was coming out. He said he knew we were coming and was down there waiting for us. Like I said we ran into him at about 1:30 coming out and he jumped on the back of one of the snowmobiles and we headed back in. We parked the sleds at the trail head and walked down in. We got the fire going again and sat for a bit and talked and walked back out.

The site is a great location for a winter campout. Vic did a good job at picking out this location. I am going to definitely try and make this event. In fact I think I will take my vacation the week before to help coordinated making it to this event. I sure hope that we have a nice night for this event because it would be great to move the fire pit down onto the ice like Vic suggested so that we could have a bigger fire.

Here are the directions to the Maine's Winter Camping Event 2007 from ITS 85.

From ITS 85 at N45° 14.658' and W69° 32.236' take the turn off at this location. There should be a sign saying Balsam Woods Campground.
Follow the trail until you cross a metal bridge.
Once you cross the bridge there will be another trail leading to the right as soon as you cross the bridge, but do not take this trail. Keep going straight up the road.
The trail will go along side the road (barrow falls road) for about 0.4 miles then it will veer off from the road to the left back into the woods.
Then about 0.44 miles down this trail at coordinates N 45° 13.845 W 069° 32.270 there is a side trail leading to the final coordinates N 45° 14.008 W 069° 31.773 that will bring you to the camp fire pit.
If anyone coming on snowmobile needs further help with the direction then please feel free to contact me.

Hiram357
02-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Slow Poke (I mean Hiram)

as I recall, you we're the one leading the way, and I was just following... :p

vicbiker
02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
The weather forecast is sounding good for our winter camping event.The weatherman is saying one to two feet of snow is possible for this area.Everyone keep your fingers crossed.This would be just what we need to make a great winter experience.Think snow!!!

attroll
02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I used tracking on my GPS this weekend to get to the Winter Camping Site and I converted it to Google earth and attached it to this post. I only did it from the car parking coordinates to the Campfire. If anyone needs it from the snowmobile ITS trail to the Campfire then please let me know.

attroll
02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Here is a GPX file with the waypoints and the track file.

brdad
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Here is a GPX file with the waypoints and the track file.

That works fine in Mapsource.

Haffy
02-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Yep worked fine for me too,thanks Rick.

vicbiker
02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I've spent the last couple of days breaking out snowshoeing trails.The snow shoeing is awesome with all the new snow.I have about four miles of trails done so far in and around the campsite.Will have more done for the event if my legs hold up.The new snow has made the whole area look like a winter wonderland.

Hiram357
02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I've spent the last couple of days breaking out snowshoeing trails.The snow shoeing is awesome with all the new snow.I have about four miles of trails done so far in and around the campsite.Will have more done for the event if my legs hold up.The new snow has made the whole area look like a winter wonderland.

trails?? what do you need trails for?

attroll
02-18-2007, 12:30 AM
TAT
Didn't you post a link somewhere about how to make a pull behind sled. I remember seeing it but I can not longer find that link. Can someone help me find the link or post it for me please.

tat
02-18-2007, 07:48 AM
TAT
Didn't you post a link somewhere about how to make a pull behind sled. I remember seeing it but I can not longer find that link. Can someone help me find the link or post it for me please.

I don't think so, but I know Kaching Karen made her sled. I'll look aroung later and get something posted, if no one else does.

Mainiac1957
02-18-2007, 08:12 AM
This looks real easy.Equipment sled
(http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/sleds/equipment.htm)

vicbiker
02-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Rick there is also a good link on Baxter State Parks site.I tried to link to it but am not that smart this morning.

Kaching Karen
02-18-2007, 11:57 AM
The instructions that Mainiac has on his link are very close to what I made. My pvc pipe is only 5 feet long. If I used skis, that would be too short. I put carabiners on the ends of the poles so I just clip them to my backpack.

Foxgloves
02-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I looked at the sled plans in link that Mainiac1957 posted.
This is probably a stupid question but inquiring minds want to know…;)
Whats the advantage of having all that PVC secured and bolted to the underside of the sled? The sled will glide just fine on the snow without all the extra weight of the PVC won’t it? I mean that’s what these plastic sleds are supposed to do right? It seems to me that the only PVC you need is the two pieces of PVC for the handles which would work well to keep the sled from slamming into you going downhill. Unless all that other PVC is to strengthen the sled laterally??? Is it necessary?

It looks like a fun project to build though…I may just build one for the heck of it…
How long should the pipes for the handles/poles be in order to drag a sled a comfortable distance behind you without it slapping the backs of your snowshoes…
Is there a certain style plastic sled that works better than others?

Maybe some people do this already but it seems like it would be a good idea lay a small tarp inside the sled and then throw all your gear on the tarp. Fold the sides of the tarp over so to cover all your gear and then lace rope through the grommets or use carabiners to keep your gear dry to your destination…

Karen do you have pictures of your sled you built?

attroll
02-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Foxglove. I though the same thing then I realized that sometimes it is easy to pull the holes out of those plastic sleds. I also realized that if you put a lot of gear in the sled and cinch it down the sides of the sled will pull up and the pcv will give it support. That is my thought as to the reason for the pcv around the outside of the sled.

Kaching Karen
02-19-2007, 01:09 AM
My sled just has carabiners attaching it to the holes from the PVC pipe. I've never seen one rigged up with the pipe under the edges of the sled. I packed my sled pretty tight (it's a nine dollar sled) and had no problem with the holes ripping.

tat
02-22-2007, 07:28 AM
The weather forcast is now posted on: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USME0255?from=search_10day

Sat
Mar 3
Scattered Snow Showers
26°/16° 60%

vicbiker
02-22-2007, 09:01 AM
The temp doesn't sound to bad,but I hope its clear that night because I believe its a full moon.A full moon,white snow.roaring fire,wow what could be better then that?

Haffy
02-22-2007, 06:06 PM
A nice warm body to cuddle up with maybe? ;)

vicbiker
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Today was the day I built a out house at the camp site.You may have to share with some of the other girls and maybe Hiram,he's a little girlish.:confused:But seriously this should make things a little more plesant.I also could build a shower,cold water only if anyone is interested!!:D:D:D

Hiram357
02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Today was the day I built a out house at the camp site.You may have to share with some of the other girls and maybe Hiram,he's a little girlish.:confused:But seriously this should make things a little more plesant.I also could build a shower,cold water only if anyone is interested!!:D:D:D

I am not girly when it comes to going in the woods!! (did you happen to install a bidet in this outhouse? I hope you added a heated seat to...)

I think we can survive one night without a shower... :rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM

I have my secret weapons against the cold.:rolleyes: ;)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
02-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haffy http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=28450#post28450)

I have my secret weapons against the cold.:rolleyes: ;)

I hope its not Hiram, :D

Haffy
02-22-2007, 10:18 PM
And their names are Sweetie and Jock....lol

Mainiac1957
02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
That would be them, or is it they. :rolleyes:

vicbiker
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I've had my secret weapons in my sleeping bag before and its not alot of fun.I have a mummy bag and it can get quite tight in there.The boys are up and down all night,first they're cold then they're hot,in the sleeping bag then out of the sleeping bag.So I think they will be staying home this trip.They don't do well in the snow and they have a hard time keeping there feet warm.

Before you can say any thing Hiram the boys in this case are dogs!!!

Beach Comber
02-23-2007, 07:36 PM

:eek: THANK YOU for clarifying!!! LOL

Hiram357
02-23-2007, 11:58 PM
I've had my secret weapons in my sleeping bag before and its not alot of fun.I have a mummy bag and it can get quite tight in there.The boys are up and down all night,first they're cold then they're hot,in the sleeping bag then out of the sleeping bag.So I think they will be staying home this trip.They don't do well in the snow and they have a hard time keeping there feet warm.

well geeze, stef calls me a dog from time to time... :rolleyes:

attroll
02-24-2007, 12:38 AM
I went out for a walk tonight with the wife and it was pretty darn cold out. I am re-thinking this overnight thing.

Hiram357
02-24-2007, 02:00 AM
I went out for a walk tonight with the wife and it was pretty darn cold out. I am re-thinking this overnight thing.

it was just a bit windy tonight, dont wuss out on us now, besides, we'll have a fire goin and lots of warm tasty fluids to keep the insides thawed out. :D

attroll
02-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Vic and TAT is everyone bringing their own food or are we having a big feed for supper or what are the plans for that?

vicbiker
02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Rick I think its always a good idea to have ones own food with them just in case.But Cheryl has mention that maybe a big pot of something would be good.Maybe a pasta dish or some chili.What does everyone think?If we use paper bowls or plates we won't make to much of a mess to clean up.Give me some feed back.I have a big kettle if someone wants to bring say...lobster!!

vicbiker
02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I went out for a walk tonight with the wife and it was pretty darn cold out. I am re-thinking this overnight thing.Through out history the fear of the unknown has kept people from doing a lot of things.If Christopher Columbus had believe in the fear of falling off the earth where would we be today.Do you know how many people talk themselves into not going out on a cold day,where as if they had just got going they would have been find.If its that cold we'll have Hiram sleep with you!!!:D:D:D

attroll
02-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Well here is the scope on me attending. If work will permit I will attend. We took on a big account at work a couple of weeks ago and now it is threatening our weekends. I am not too happy about this at all. I am just unsure on whether I will do and overnighter for this or do and all day event into the evening with the snowmobile.

I have been working on my snowmobile since last weekend trying to get it ready in case I decide to attend the event just as an all day event thing. I had an accident on it the day after the caching event in Winslow that we had last weekend. I have kept quite about it since then because it was a scary thing that happened. I feel a little better talking about it now.

What happened with the sled is that I was driving on the edge of the road trying to keep my right ski on the snow bank to keep at least one off the pavement. I was coming up the hill from the store down below the house. I was going about 45 mph and at the very top of the hill my left ski that was not on the snow bank caught the edge of the pavement and forced my sled up to the right and up the side of the snow bank. The snow bank was very steep and my sled would not stay upright. It forced my sled on its left side at 45 mph and I decided it was best to jump off the sled rather then to have it land on me in case it started rolling. Well the sled did not roll it just slide on its slide for a while and as for me from what I remember because it happened so quickly. I landed on my left side and banged up left my elbow and hip and ended up just sliding down the road on the lose sand left over from the sand trucks. I think the loose sand was a life saver in this case because all I did was slide mostly.

The sled is fine with the exception of a new windshield and some gouges on the side that I have been trying to work out. The main thing is that I am alive and well. It was an eye opening experience though.

tat
02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Wow, glad to hear that you are alright.

vicbiker
02-24-2007, 10:28 PM
This sounds like something you would expect some one like Hiram to do not a old guy like you.Glad to hear you're O.K.

Kaching Karen
02-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Rick, for some strange reason, I may not take my first snowmobile ride from you! I'm just kidding of course, and I'm glad only the machine got wrecked seriously.

attroll
02-24-2007, 11:47 PM
If I bring my sled I will not be able to give rides because I will not be able to bring an extra helmet. I feel that no one should be on a sled without wearing a helmet now days.

Vic have they groomed the trail with the sleds yet going to the fire pit?

Kaching Karen
02-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Okay, I've lived 50 years with a ride. I can live at least 50 more. You're a wise man, Rick. Hey I like your "count" on your geocaching icon. "few" "some"

Another wise man built an outhouse. Thanks Vic, but I am use to using a "Wag Bag." I was worried about others and the land use, but since there is now an outhouse... yahoo!

vicbiker
02-25-2007, 07:50 AM
The trail to the site is all done.I not sure yet who to thank,either the whetstone mayor or the piper pond pose have done a great job on it.The trail is now all dragged right to the camping area.Anyone wishing to ski to the area will have no problems now.I may do just that today.:)

Yesterday I finished putting the finishing touches on the out house area.It is now closed in on all sides so girls you can have a little privacy.Again these protective measures are a direct result of Hiram being at the event.:rolleyes:

Six trails now exist from the piper pond road to the campsite.Four of these are snowmobile accessable and two are snowshoe accessable only.Number seven has two of these that run from his house and the public beach at piper pond to the campsite.:cool:

The long range weather report isn't sounding all that good at the moment,but they never get it right anyway.So keep all your fingers crossed.

Foxgloves
02-25-2007, 08:37 AM
...........I landed on my left side and banged up left my elbow and hip and ended up just sliding down the road on the lose sand left over from the sand trucks. I think the loose sand was a life saver in this case because all I did was slide mostly.

The sled is fine with the exception of a new windshield and some gouges on the side that I have been trying to work out. The main thing is that I am alive and well. It was an eye opening experience though.

I was trying to envision the whole thing. Sounds like it was pretty scary...I'm glad you are ok....and luckily you came out of it w/ only a few bruises....it could have been so much worse. Yikes!

attroll
03-01-2007, 02:57 PM
The overnight does not look like it may happen for me. I have to give my son a ride to work Sunday because the wife is working.

I am still planning on attending if I do not have to work Saturday though.

We have a bunch of snow coming in Friday so it this still going on as planned?

tat
03-01-2007, 04:57 PM
We have a bunch of snow coming in Friday so it this still going on as planned?

The event is ON! Please drive carefully and give the snow plows time to do their job.

firefighterjake
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
1) In which town and on what ITS or Club trail is the snowmobile turn-off?

2) Do you get credit for the "find" if you stop by and just say hi and don't camp? Just curious.

vicbiker
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM

2) Do you get credit for the "find" if you stop by and just say hi and don't camp? Just curious.I believe the Its # is 85,its the one that runs from dover to greenville.You can get off the ITS in Abbot and go to the club house,they will be there with local maps and directions.You can follow the co-ords Rick posted some where.Check with him or Hiram they both been there.Once on the local trail I'll have signs out.Yes you get credit for just stopping to say hi.

vicbiker
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
O.K. this is the scoop so far,the event is on,the snow is suppose to be over by sat.Sat. temps are suppose to be in the high 30's -low 40's and warm sat. night.We have a great crew that plows the roads up here and they will have everything done early.I'm going to give them a heads up so they know whats going on anyway.Number Seven is going to push back his snow banks so there will be room for quite a few vehicles in his yard. There is a trail behind his house to the campsite.Also the road by the Piper Pond beach is quite wide and Number Seven's house is the white gambrel just up the road on the right,the one with a boat in the yard.Parking beside the road on the Barrow Falls rd. should be find if the road is plowed when you get there which it should be.I'll try to have signs and instuctions at all the access points.My house is the red cape and barn across the road from Traftons store here in Abbot.You are welcome to park here and car pool with some one or you can leave you vehicle at the store if you tell them whats up.Also the snowmobile club house is a 1/4 mile up rt.16 and they will let you park there I'm sure again if you ask.They are having a fun day themselves with lots of stuff going on,Breakfast,lunch and dinner are being served on sat.Hope this addresses some of your concerns.

The snow storm although a pain in some ways should only add to the campout in the long run.Lets have some fun playing in the snow!!!!

Hiram357
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
O.K. this is the scoop so far,the event is on,the snow is suppose to be over by sat.Sat. temps are suppose to be in the high 30's -low 40's and warm sat. night.We have a great crew that plows the roads up here and they will have everything done early.I'm going to give them a heads up so they know whats going on anyway.Number Seven is going to push back his snow banks so there will be room for quite a few vehicles in his yard. There is a trail behind his house to the campsite.Also the road by the Piper Pond beach is quite wide and Number Seven's house is the white gambrel just up the road on the right,the one with a boat in the yard.Parking beside the road on the Barrow Falls rd. should be find if the road is plowed when you get there which it should be.I'll try to have signs and instuctions at all the access points.My house is the red cape and barn across the road from Traftons store here in Abbot.You are welcome to park here and car pool with some one or you can leave you vehicle at the store if you tell them whats up.Also the snowmobile club house is a 1/4 mile up rt.16 and they will let you park there I'm sure again if you ask.They are having a fun day themselves with lots of stuff going on,Breakfast,lunch and dinner are being served on sat.Hope this addresses some of your concerns.

The snow storm although a pain in some ways should only add to the campout in the long run.Lets have some fun playing in the snow!!!!

are the parking coords on the website for #7s house or the side of the road? If we do park at #7s how much of a hike is it from there? (longer than the we came in on the sleds?)

vicbiker
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
are the parking coords on the website for #7s house or the side of the road? If we do park at #7s how much of a hike is it from there? (longer than the we came in on the sleds?)Hiram #7 co-ords are not posted but I'll try and do that tomorrow.Its a 1/4 mile longer then the way you went in before.Just a one lane snow sled track.

Hiram357
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Hiram #7 co-ords are not posted but I'll try and do that tomorrow.Its a 1/4 mile longer then the way you went in before.Just a one lane snow sled track.

ok, so are these coords,

More Parking (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/wpt.aspx?WID=da31524d-648b-43f3-aa81-86dab45cac55&RefID=402747c9-a270-43da-8b5a-edf8b8057d1c&RefDS=1) (Parking Area)N 45° 13.129 W 069° 31.389

for the side of the road parking?

vicbiker
03-01-2007, 11:49 PM
ok, so are these coords,

More Parking (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/wpt.aspx?WID=da31524d-648b-43f3-aa81-86dab45cac55&RefID=402747c9-a270-43da-8b5a-edf8b8057d1c&RefDS=1) (Parking Area)N 45° 13.129 W 069° 31.389

for the side of the road parking?Remember when you guys left on your sleds you came shortly to a road crossing?That is these co-ords,just before you get to piper pond.Parking here you can go down the snowmobile trail take a right to the campsite.Its probably a 1/2 mile longer all good going.

vicbiker
03-02-2007, 12:09 AM
When I gave the directions to #7 house I tried to type real slow so that Hiram would be able to follow the directions.My typing is getting a little faster then it used to be so I must apologize if I went to fast or didn't explain myself clearly.According to webster's new world dictionary a pond is a body of water smaller then a lake,a beach is a sandy shore on a pond,a boat is a vessel that goes on a pond.All of this is much more confusing seeing as how the pond is now frozen.Also no one expects to see a boat in someones yard this time of year.So Hiram after you go by the spot that is for more parking you will come to a large area on the right that is all covered with snow.This is a field.Across the road is a even bigger area covered with snow this is a pond,Piper pond in fact.Field on your right,pond on your left,if this is where you are then #7 house is up the road on the right hand side.The boat (remember this is the vessel that goes on the water)is in his yard next to the road.A house according to webster is a dwelling where people live,and a yard in this case is not 36' long but rather a lawn.:D:D:D:D

Hiram357
03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
When I gave the directions to #7 house I tried to type real slow so that Hiram would be able to follow the directions.My typing is getting a little faster then it used to be so I must apologize if I went to fast or didn't explain myself clearly.According to webster's new world dictionary a pond is a body of water smaller then a lake,a beach is a sandy shore on a pond,a boat is a vessel that goes on a pond.All of this is much more confusing seeing as how the pond is now frozen.Also no one expects to see a boat in someones yard this time of year.So Hiram after you go by the spot that is for more parking you will come to a large area on the right that is all covered with snow.This is a field.Across the road is a even bigger area covered with snow this is a pond,Piper pond in fact.Field on your right,pond on your left,if this is where you are then #7 house is up the road on the right hand side.The boat (remember this is the vessel that goes on the water)is in his yard next to the road.A house according to webster is a dwelling where people live,and a yard in this case is not 36' long but rather a lawn.:D:D:D:D

so #7 is 36' long and can tavel on the boat like a pond if his lawn isn't frozen??? Ahha! Now i understand!! i can park in the snow!! ok, now i got it! thanks vic! :D

attroll
03-02-2007, 01:23 AM

2) Do you get credit for the "find" if you stop by and just say hi and don't camp? Just curious.

Jake

I know how to get there. I have already been there on the sleds. I am going Saturday morning sometime. If you want to hook up with me let me know. I am going solo right now. I would really like another sledder to go with me. We can put in at Newport or we could put in at Vic's parking cooridinates. I am easy. I just want a sledding partner.

firefighterjake
03-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Jake

I know how to get there. I have already been there on the sleds. I am going Saturday morning sometime. If you want to hook up with me let me know. I am going solo right now. I would really like another sledder to go with me. We can put in at Newport or we could put in at Vic's parking cooridinates. I am easy. I just want a sledding partner.

I'd take you up on the offer, but my brother-in-law is coming up from CT and I'm not sure when he will be arriving so I don't want to hold you up . . . if he's up to it I may see if I can convince him to head up that-away on the sleds which I am sure he would be willing to do . . . only I have no idea of when he will be arriving on Saturday.

Mainiac1957
03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
And that according to Webster is humor, causing one to laugh with enjoyment.

vicbiker
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
And that according to Webster is humor, causing one to laugh with enjoyment.Hiram makes it so easy.:D

firefighterjake
03-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Jake

What is the best way to get there for here . . . if I do come (and right now it's a big "if" since you know my feelings on groups and events plus I'll probably be getting a late start since my brother-in-law is coming up sometime on Saturday morning) I was wondering what is the best way to get there . . . and hopefully you won't say that it involves riding the rail trail all the way from Newport since a) I've done this trail so many times this year that it is mind-numbing and b) it receives a lot of traffic and gets beat up pretty badly.

attroll
03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
What is the best way to get there for here . . . if I do come (and right now it's a big "if" since you know my feelings on groups and events plus I'll probably be getting a late start since my brother-in-law is coming up sometime on Saturday morning) I was wondering what is the best way to get there . . . and hopefully you won't say that it involves riding the rail trail all the way from Newport since a) I've done this trail so many times this year that it is mind-numbing and b) it receives a lot of traffic and gets beat up pretty badly.

I hate to tell you this, but the rail trail is what I was going to say. There may be another way but that is the way I went when I went to check out the event area.

Here are the directions to the Maine's Winter Camping Event 2007 from ITS 85. I have also included a Google earth file and a gpx file. The gpx file you should be able to upload to you gps and use teh track file and wayponits to get to the event.

From ITS 85 at N45° 14.658' and W69° 32.236' take the turn off at this location. There should be a sign saying Balsam Woods Campground.
Follow the trail until you cross a metal bridge.
Once you cross the bridge there will be another trail leading to the right as soon as you cross the bridge, but do not take this trail. Keep going straight up the road.
The trail will go along side the road (barrow falls road) for about 0.4 miles then it will veer off from the road to the left back into the woods.
Then about 0.44 miles down this trail at coordinates N 45° 13.845 W 069° 32.270 there is a side trail leading to the final coordinates N 45° 14.008 W 069° 31.773 that will bring you to the camp fire pit.

attroll
03-02-2007, 03:06 PM
I got some questions to everyone that is going tomorrow.

What time is everyone planning on showing up at the event? I am just looking for rough estimates.
How many of you are planning on spending the night are at least staying late?I am not sure about what time I will be showing up. It all depends on if I am going to be sledding in with Jake or not. If I come alone it will probably be about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. If I can get someone to sled into the event with then I would come earlier. I am just not to fond of riding in alone that is what I am not leaving earlier. I will be sledding in from Newport most likely. If someone wants to sled into the event and needs some way to haul their sled I have room for one more on my trailer as long as I don't have to drive to many miles out of the way to pick it up.

I will not be spending the night because I will have to sled back to the truck and come home. I have to give my son a ride to work in the morning on Sunday. It also depends on how long I hang out at the event as to who I go with.

Also if I make it to the event and I can not drive down into it on the snowmobile then chances are that I may not show up. I am not so fond of leaving my sled on the side of a snowmobile trail while I am almost 1/2 mile off the trail at the event area for the day. My snowmobile cost me to much to do that.

Mainiac1957
03-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I am leaving Brewer around 7am. When I get there is anybody's guess. I am staying the night, and will leave on Sunday when the party breaks up. A new experiance for me , and am very much looking forweard to it.;)

Hiram357
03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
we'll be leaving waterville about 10, well be stayin overnight.

Any directions yet to the parking at #7's vic? :rolleyes:

vicbiker
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
What time is everyone planning on showing up at the event? I am just looking for rough estimates.

I will be there very early with TAT

How many of you are planning on spending the night are at least staying late?I am.

Hiram357
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I can leave early, have to be here for when the plows clear the parking lots. Do you have a street address or coords for #7s parking area vic? (I don't think he lives on my map)

vicbiker
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I can leave early, have to be here for when the plows clear the parking lots. Do you have a street address or coords for #7s parking area vic? (I don't think he lives on my map)Hiram I will put a sign at # 7 house just for you.Actually I got signs all made for all the trails and for parking at #7 house.Tat and I will be at the spot where you and Rick came in last time.

Kaching Karen
03-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Poor Gary keeps calling from airports today. There are flight problems and then he has to dig out when he gets home. There's some strange story about a Russian woman and a man in blue yelling at him to stop. He's packed, but maybe he'll be too tired to go. The plan was for him to pick me up. Hey, maybe he can make it to Augusta and I can drive the truck! (I have driven it from Gardiner to Augusta, once, and I am proud to say I didn't put a dent in it).
I'm semi-packed and plan on being there before noon. I dreaming of a nice snowshoe in. Vic... can I park at Barrows Falls road (where I parked before) or do you recommend going elsewhere?

vicbiker
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Vic... can I park at Barrows Falls road (where I parked before) or do you recommend going elsewhere?Tat is here with me now and we are planning on parking in the same place as last time.Shouldn't be any problem,but just in case we are putting signs at all the trailheads.Also there will be one at number seven's house for parking if needed.

vicbiker
03-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Tat and I will probably be headed in to the campsite by 8 am,will have the fire going and things all shoveled out by the time the rest of you get there.The forcast still sounds good for tommorow and tommorow night.Can't hardly wait.

Kaching Karen
03-03-2007, 06:48 AM
I will be coming alone. Gary got in really late last night. I hope to go to the Barrows Falls spot to park, but if I park at Number Seven's, can I snow shoe in? Can't wait to see everyone!

attroll
03-03-2007, 10:43 AM
It is now 9:41 in the morning and I see Hiram has still not left yet because he is online. I am getting dressed now and will be leaving the house shortly. I should be at the even in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. That is provided that I can sled down into the event.

attroll
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
I just got back from the geocaching winter camping event on my snowmobile and all I can say is WOW, what a turn out. I wished I could have stayed the night with everyone else. The temps were perfect for an overnight campout. There were 14 tents the last time Vic counted them. I am not sure but he might have missed some. I am sure he and other will give a full report when they are all back. Other then the people staying the night server people can and left during the day. I got there at 2 this afternoon and left at 7 pm at night. When I left everyone was just getting ready to do the night cache. I wanted to stay but I had a 50 mile ride back to Newport on my snowmobile by myself. So I figured I better get back.

I left before they did the poker run results and I forgot to leave my cards with Vic to see if I won. Bummer that probably means I can not in for the prize now.

firefighterjake
03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Where do I start? First, gather round me mates (oops, sorry wrong geocaching event) and I'll tell you quite the tale . . . a real-life Jason and the Markonauts Odyssey if you would.

Before I forget . . . yeah, yeah . . . I don't usually do geocaching events since they're just not my "thing." OK, in reality, I've only done one other event since it combined camping and four-wheeling . . . and to be honest this one intrigued me since I could snowmobile to it although after leaving the pond I thought to myself that this looked kind of fun and may try camping in the winter in the future . . . maybe.

Second, one of my greatest disappointments of the day was not being able to meet Vicbiker, Tat and some of the other crew -- although I think I may have passed Vicbiker snowshoeing in on my way out.

Third, I cannot say enough good things about Whetstone Mayor (aka Bill M. . . incidentally Vic, if you can get me his address I would appreciate it) . . . and here's why.

My snowmobiling story actually began earlier in the day around 7 a.m. when I met up with a buddy with the intent of going out on a short ride to put up some trail signs before meeting my brother-in-law (BIL) Mark for a day of riding. However, my faithful two-year old sled refused to start. One relay switch, two 4 x 4 vehicles, four sparkplugs and 20 feet of tow rope later I had nothing to show for my work except for the fact that my sled was broken down and in the shop for the week.

At this point the future of my weekend and a ride up to this event was left to three alternatives.

Alternative 1: I could borrow one of my buddies' sleds which Ray the Crazy Frenchman offered to me.

Alternative 2: I could possibly use one of my BIL's sleds -- if he happened to have his girlfriend's sled with him or if the local shop happened to have fixed his broken down Polaris (that is a whole other story, but it involves a leaking gas cap, two skis that fell off and a bent trailing arm.)

Alternative 3: I could buy a new sled.

Heidi quickly put the kibosh to alternative #3.
Fortunately, my BIL had his girlfriend's sled with him. This sled was definitely a different ride from what I was used to . . . to say nothing of the fact that it was blue with pink stripes running along the sides.

To make a long story shorter we made it to the geocaching event . . . chatted for a bit . . . learned that I had missed catching up with Attroll who was out on a poker run . . . drank some of Hiram's water . . . and then proceeded to get stuck in the deep snow.

We left early since we had a 80+ mile trip back. However, we had only got a few miles away from the event when my borrowed sled died. Fortunately, the Whetstone Mayor (aka Bill M.) happened to come along. Again, to make a long story short, the Whetstone Mayor towed the broken down sled to his house, let us use his phone to call a friend to drive 1 1/2 hours to come to our rescue and then fed us baked beans, red hot dogs and home-made biscuits (and he treated us to some of the famous Maine hospitality.) During the course of our conversations I also learned we both knew a guy that I used to work with and he currently works with . . . small world, huh?

Sometime around 9 or so my friend showed up with a tale of his own . . . it turns out that when he hooked our snowmobile trailer to his truck he didn't realize that the tilt trailer's pin that keeps it from tilting was pulled out. He drove from his home in Jackson to a point somewhere near Dover-Foxcroft when he hit a bump, the trailer tilted up and sparks went flying everywhere as the trailer was dragged down Rt. 7. The good news: a kid driving behind him who witnessed the entire scene had a small bolt and by using the bolt, some nuts, a washer or two and two pipe clamps they were able to secure the trailer. The bad news: for some odd reason my buddy stuck his finger in the MIA pin's hole at the same time the kid tilted up the trailer to show him how it flew up . . . thereby giving my buddy a very nasty looking cut.

In any case, the Whetstone Mayor again came to our rescue with a longer bolt and we were able to make it back home in one piece around 11 p.m.

I wish I could have hung around longer . . . but I most definitely appreciate the memories.

tat
03-05-2007, 07:13 AM
WOW! I had no idea you were there until I got home and saw Pamachenee's pic of you at the fire! What a story. You got a chance to meet the some of the locals and I know from personal experience how much fun that is: Vic invited me to breakfast at the Trafton Store saturday morning.

Hope to see you on the trails!

Hiram357
03-05-2007, 07:42 AM
ohhh sure... make up that big long story trying to make people believe you were there... then go and photoshop a pic of you into another pic of somone at the event. c'mon Jake, like anyone is going to believe you went to a cache event. :D :p ;)

vicbiker
03-05-2007, 09:34 AM
WOW! I had no idea you were there until I got home and saw Pamachenee's pic of you at the fire! What a story. You got a chance to meet the some of the locals and I know from personal experience how much fun that is: Vic invited me to breakfast at the Trafton Store saturday morning.

Hope to see you on the trails!And you only got to meet the semi sane people that hang out with me...explains a lot doesn't it.

vicbiker
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Where do I start? Jake what a story!There is no way you could have made it up any better.The Whetstone Mayor is one of those people that spends his time quietly in the shadows,until such time his services are needed,then him and Mrs Whetstone Mayor magically appear.I know from personal experience.True Maine people.

Like Tat I didn't know you were there until getting home and reading the logs.Waited all day for you,leave for a hour and you show up.Some day,some where we will meet.You had to have stay over night to appreciate all the wonderful camaraderie we enjoyed around the campfire.Next year Jake.

I'll get yo bills address soon as I can.

vicbiker
03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
A suggestion to anyone planning a event,ask Tat to be your co-host.You'll be some glad you did,as a lot of you already know he's a tireless,selfless person,who's a joy to work with.Tat's friendship will be the greatest thing,of many great things,I take from this weekend.Thanks Tom.

Foxgloves
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Looks like you guys all had a great time from the pictures I saw on the event page. Its quite the setup you had there.
I wanna see more pictures though....

attroll
03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Vic

What is going on with the poker run? I brought my cards home by mistake. Do I send you what I have for cards and then are you going to pick the winners or what is going on?

vicbiker
03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Vic

What is going on with the poker run? I brought my cards home by mistake. Do I send you what I have for cards and then are you going to pick the winners or what is going on?Whats going on is that I didn't do a very good job.Not as organized as Karen.Send me a e-mail,post them here or whatever,what I need is just the numerical values not the suits.Example AKQJ1098765432 not spades,hearts,clubs or diamonds.I need yours,Tats,and Hirams two friends who I believe are Pete and Gary.As soon as I get these I'll pick a winner .A new pair of gaiters donated by Northwoods Outfitters is the prize along with a coleman lantern case.My granddaughter Sadie has five aces and two kings,she was quite diappointed when I told her it wasn't going to be the highest hand that won.

tat
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
mine didn't have numbers, just the letter A. Is that good? :)

Just kidding, I did get 2 A's and Q,9,6,4,3

And I won a 2nd trip up the Piscatiquis River to Barrow's Falls. In the winter!!

tat
03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Did anyone loose a pack? We have an unclaimed "Outdoor Products" daypack. It's light green with red first aid kit, gloves, a camera case, tissues and tp.

Send me an email if you know who it belongs to.

P.S. Thanks for the water, I was parched! :)

attroll
03-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Vic

Here is what I have for cards.

robt
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey,

Did anyone find a set of tent poles? I have not found my tent poles after the event. Please let me know.

RobT

tat
03-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey,

Did anyone find a set of tent poles? I have not found my tent poles after the event. Please let me know.

RobT

Rob, I have your tent poles and your radio. I hope you have my glasses.

firefighterjake
03-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Jake what a story!There is no way you could have made it up any better.The Whetstone Mayor is one of those people that spends his time quietly in the shadows,until such time his services are needed,then him and Mrs Whetstone Mayor magically appear.I know from personal experience.True Maine people.

Like Tat I didn't know you were there until getting home and reading the logs.Waited all day for you,leave for a hour and you show up.Some day,some where we will meet.You had to have stay over night to appreciate all the wonderful camaraderie we enjoyed around the campfire.Next year Jake.

I'll get yo bills address soon as I can.

. . . and I forgot to mention about driving through Dexter around 10 p.m. or so and suddenly finding ourselves confronted with about a half dozen fire trucks with flashing lights and sirens . . . and a tour bus right in middle of the pack . . . we couldn't figure this one out until my buddy realized that the Dexter Girls were playing in the State Basketball Finals and this was probably the welcoming reception so to speak.

Again, I'm sorry I missed you and a few of the others . . . but I'm wicked glad I met Bill and his wife. We didn't snowmobile as far as we had hoped, but in the process met a fascinating couple and I can honestly say I had a good time talking with them that evening. I definitely want to send a thank you card to him and his wife for their hospitality and help.