View Full Version : Another Good Geocaching Site

WhereRWe?
12-17-2004, 07:41 PM
I see that at least 2 other geocachingmaine members have already found this site:

http://www.keenpeople.com/index.php?Itemid=1

WhereRWe?
12-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Oh - and if you think our signature Maine Geocacher Permit looks a lot like the US Geocacher Permit they're advertising, you're right. But we DID NOT steal their design.

We modified the design of a CANADIAN Geocacher Permit we picked up in Quebec.

:p

Cache Maine
12-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Different geocoins...

http://www.geocachetreasure.com/home.htm

Signature Item database...

http://mi-geocaching.org/sigitemdb/

WhereRWe?
12-18-2004, 09:14 AM
And here's another site:

http://www.travelertags.com/index.php?Itemid=1

This site would allow us to establish our own numbered Maine Geocoins,and be able to track them here.

What does everyone think?

parmachenee
12-18-2004, 12:44 PM
The only thing wrong with not logging through geocaching.com is people don't know where to log the coins. Many people don't know how to log tb's in or out of caches as it is. Going another step further will really confuse them. I have 5 Calif. geocoins out there that I have never heard from since they were taken from the original caches. I don't know if they just decided to keep them or if they can't find where to log them. I like the idea of a Maine coin though. :D

WhereRWe?
12-18-2004, 12:54 PM
The only thing wrong with not logging through geocaching.com is people don't know where to log the coins. Many people don't know how to log tb's in or out of caches as it is. Going another step further will really confuse them. I have 5 Calif. geocoins out there that I have never heard from since they were taken from the original caches. I don't know if they just decided to keep them or if they can't find where to log them. I like the idea of a Maine coin though. :D

I hear what you're saying - but there isn't any way to log a uniquely Maine geocoin on geocaching.com, is there? I've seen many state coins but none can be logged there.

Seems a shame... You'd think they'd set up a system for state coins - like a number with a 2-letter state prefix...

Any way to petition them to do this other than just emailing them?

parmachenee
12-18-2004, 01:57 PM
The California organization contacted them and they refused to track their coins so I'm not sure how you would approach this. Maybe brdad might know more.

attroll
12-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Why don't you people add the geocaching sites to the links area on this web site?

WhereRWe?
12-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Why don't you people add the geocaching sites to the links area on this web site?

'Cause we can't??? :o

tat
12-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I placed a Kentucky geocoin in the Jetport Hotel cache last week. The log (http://geocky.org/) doesn't ssem to get a lot of traffic. I think people are passing it along and not logging it. A good reason to stick with GC.com TB coin system.

attroll
12-18-2004, 10:14 PM
'Cause we can't??? :o

Yeah you can. I just tried it using my test account. It might be because you are not clicking on the catregory that you want to add the link to first. Once you click on the category you want to add it to then click on LINKS in the navbar with the down arrow to the right. Then there should be an option to ADD LINK.

WhereRWe?
12-19-2004, 08:40 AM
OK - gotcha.

That's the one button I didn't try. Thanks! :D

parmachenee
12-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks attroll....that worked nicely. I added the California geocoin url.

tat
12-19-2004, 08:00 PM
I didn't know we could add links! Now, whoever finds the KY geocoin the I left in Portland can find it's link here.

Beach Comber
12-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Sounds like this approach is working well, but I'm not sure where to look for them. Are they listed in a particular section on this website? I've looked around, but am not finding it. Thanks in advance for your direction.

WhereRWe?
12-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Sounds like this approach is working well, but I'm not sure where to look for them. Are they listed in a particular section on this website? I've looked around, but am not finding it. Thanks in advance for your direction.

Go to the top of the page - just under where it says "Welcome, Beach Comber" (in your case) - and click on "links""

To add a link, having done the above, click on "links" just under the "forum jump" block.

:cool:

Beach Comber
12-20-2004, 09:26 AM
That is fantastic - what a great resource!

Now for step 2 - I am not seeing a down arrow to the right of LINKS to allow me to select ADD LINK. If I understand Rick's steps correctly, they are.....

1. select FORUMS
2. select the forum CATEGORY you want to post the link under
3. select the DOWN ARROW tto the right of LINKS in the upper right section of the nav bar. This is where I get stuck - there is no down arrow next to LINKS.

Thanks in advance - again!

parmachenee
12-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Actually the down arrow is near the LINKS on the LEFT side of the screen.

WhereRWe?
12-20-2004, 01:47 PM
That is fantastic - what a great resource!

Now for step 2 - I am not seeing a down arrow to the right of LINKS to allow me to select ADD LINK. If I understand Rick's steps correctly, they are.....

1. select FORUMS
2. select the forum CATEGORY you want to post the link under
3. select the DOWN ARROW tto the right of LINKS in the upper right section of the nav bar. This is where I get stuck - there is no down arrow next to LINKS.

Thanks in advance - again!

Yeah - I see - you can't get there from the "forums". Go to links from the main page. Once your in the links section, click on the category you want to ad a link to, then click on links on the left - below "forum jump". This will bring up 3 choices: "links home", "up a level", and "add a link".

Beach Comber
12-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Got it! Those steps worked - thanks! Now, if I will only remember that when I come across a link that will be helpful.

parmachenee
12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
You know that's the page I meant Bruce...I just didn't read Beachcomber's steps!! :D But all is well that ends well. :)

Beach Comber
12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
:D I just tested the links function by adding a resource for poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. I know it's winter, but my own posion ivy rash at the end of the summer remains fresh in my mind!!

:o Somehow, I seem to have added it twice and can't figure out how to delete one.

attroll
12-22-2004, 02:28 AM
I took care it for you Beach Comber. It will not show up for other to see until an admin verifies it and releases the link. This way not just any link can get added.

Beach Comber
12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
I like the link function a lot - I can't believe I didn't notice it sooner. It will be a fabulous resource, I'm sure. Again - thanks so much for your time, effort, and energy to make this website available to us! It is great!!!