View Full Version : Member only caches

Haffy
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
I have noticed a lot of MOC's lately and was wondering what others feel about them. I used it once on my Cache Across America cache in Augusta when I put it out only because it had some nice swag along with some nice geocoins and TB's and didn't want them to be muggled. After all the so-called good stuff was removed I then turned around and make it a regular cache. Even the new MOC's that are being placed are simply micro caches, and who wants to steal a film canistor anyway? Anyway I was just wondering how others feel about MOC's. I hate to turn anyone away from caching and think that unless the cache owner has a lot of money invested into making the cache then I say let everyone get a chance at it. Those are just my thoughts.

WhereRWe?
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I think people should make a "members only" cache ONLY if there's a good reason - like you did (wanting to keep it away from the Geomuggles).

Actually, a "members only" cache should be a better-than-average cache, IMHO.

:D :D

pjpreb
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
We were grateful for the caches that were open to all members when we first started geocaching. It even makes sense to have some of the better ones be available for newbies (to get them hooked ya know). I agree with the MOC principle for the ftf and for "special" swag then changing it to a regular cache. It's nice that this sport/hobby/obssesion can be open to all regardless of ability to pay.

team teebow
01-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I have noticed a lot of MOC's lately and was wondering what others feel about them. I used it once on my Cache Across America cache in Augusta when I put it out only because it had some nice swag along with some nice geocoins and TB's and didn't want them to be muggled. After all the so-called good stuff was removed I then turned around and make it a regular cache. Even the new MOC's that are being placed are simply micro caches, and who wants to steal a film canistor anyway? Anyway I was just wondering how others feel about MOC's. I hate to turn anyone away from caching and think that unless the cache owner has a lot of money invested into making the cache then I say let everyone get a chance at it. Those are just my thoughts.

I agree... MOC's don't do anything for me. I pay membership because for $30 a year I have something that gives the whole family something to do. We enjoy looking back at the pictures at caches we have found and places we have been (Almost feels like one of those "Priceless" commercials should pop up here.) It is a priceless expense that has created some great family memories and found us many great new friends.

The MOC's that have been popping up lately do surprise me...MOC on a micro :confused: I can't figure out the reasoning behind it.

Team Teebow 1

hollora
01-23-2007, 11:04 PM
If there is a good reason to do MOC - but agreed most caches do not merit that classification. I did it with my new Geocoin Emporium to give members a change and also because it was release right around Christmas. It would give caches a chance to learn before going there and finding just coins and TBs and not knowing what to do.

I will change this very soon. It should be there for all to enjoy. Agreed - a micro - MOC - I can't figure that out either.

brdad
01-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I usually have a harder time understanding the reasoning behind hiding a micro than hiding a MOC!

One of the biggest draws to MOCs when they first came out was the audit logs. These logs tell you who has looked at your cache page. I think this is not such a big deal now as it seems a large percentage of cachers now cache via PQ, which does not show up on the audit, IIRC.

I have no MOCs. When I placed my caches I was also in the mentality of making them available to all. But, there were not a lot of caches then. If 75% of Maine's caches were converted to MOCs, there would still be four times the number of caches available to non-paying members as when I started. And lets not forget two other issues:
1. Anybody can sign up for one month at GC.com for $3. If a person can afford a GPS and gas to get to a cache they can probably afford that. In that month, they can print the MOC pages, find the cache(s), log them, and then go back to being a non-paying member.
2. You do not have to be a paying member to log a MOC. A person can go caching with a paying member, or have a member print the cache page out for them. After they find the cache, they can use the loophole in gc.com's logging system to log the cache.

I think a large percentage of muggled caches are from non-cachers finding the cache accidently. Having the cache be a MOC is not going to help that any. All it will help prevent is having a non-paying member access the cache.

So for those reasons I have no problem with a MOC, but do not see a lot of benefit either in most cases, short of the few previously stated in this thread.

firefighterjake
01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
We were grateful for the caches that were open to all members when we first started geocaching. It even makes sense to have some of the better ones be available for newbies (to get them hooked ya know). I agree with the MOC principle for the ftf and for "special" swag then changing it to a regular cache. It's nice that this sport/hobby/obssesion can be open to all regardless of ability to pay.

I agree 100% with these statements.

Steve'sSister
01-24-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm still new at this, and posted my last 2 new caches as MOC from advice from others. After reading these posts, however, I just went and changed them. I admit that I do like the audit logs at first- it's part of the fun of placing a new cache, but without question I think this should be open to all. I will probably start off my new ones (because I know they won't be *#! micros) as MOC, and then change them after a few days.