View Full Version : Landrocket

kayakerinme
01-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Saw this in the national forums this evening:

If you are a NH Geocacher then I am sure you have heard the name LandRocket, well known for well thought and sometimes devious hides.

"You probably know a cacher by the name of LandRocket who is famous for FTF's and night caching. Yesterday he was involved in a severe car accident and is currently in grave condition at the Critical Care Unit at Dartmouth/Hitchcock Hospital. I have come to know LandRocket personally in the last few weeks (which is why he cut down on grabbing so many caches!) and I am praying for his recovery. I am hoping that you get this message out to other cachers so that we may all help LandRocket by keeping him in our thoughts and prayers."

I received this email a short time ago and wanted to get the word out so that we can all keep a positive thought for him. Good luck LandRocket, hope to see you on the trail soon.

Kris and Frank
The Smoking Monkeys

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=154545

I've seen his name in lots of Maine caches too. Perhaps we can keep positive thoughts as well.

Team2hunt
01-25-2007, 10:07 PM
And will again soon, I hope. We met at one of the New Hampshire Events. He is a wicked nice guy. I have followed many of his logs on caches the Team has done all over New England.

brdad
01-26-2007, 06:43 AM
I've seen his name in a few caches and have picked up his sig item. There is a link to the news report in that thread - it does not look too promising, but best wishes for a full and quick recovery for him.

Mainiac1957
01-26-2007, 06:46 AM
We have had several e-mail conversations too. He also let me log his 1000th cache coin when I reached that milestone. Hope he makes a full recovery.

FuddsGirls
01-26-2007, 07:04 AM
I know that name too. His was the first sig item I ever picked up. I will pass his name on to the prayer warriors in my church.

Cache Maine
01-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Oh yes....a legend when it comes to geocoins as well. Our thoughts will be with him and his family.

tat
01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Does anyone know if there is anything we can do for them?

Gob-ler
01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
From the GCCom websight:

Hi Fellow Geocachers,

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your incredible support. This
community of geocachers has helped comfort me at this time.

Unfortunately, Ron Lavois aka LandRocket passed away this morning
(Wednesday, January 26) due to injuries sustained in the accident.

I feel very fortunate to have met and fallen in love with this man even
though we only knew each other for a short time. Ron was an incredible
person (as many of you already know) and getting to know him personally just
added to my respect of him.

I have been told by his son that he did not like memorial caches (he said
they were "tacky" and not what geocaching is all about, that they are
supposed to be for "fun". So please do not set out any caches in his name.
However, I would like to hold a cache event. At night, of course! I won't
be setting it up right away but perhaps later towards spring when the
weather is warmer. At that time, I'd like to get together and share stories
about LandRocket and celebrate his life and of course, grab some caches. I'll
try to keep each of you posted but I have received an overwhelming amount of
responses so also look for an upcoming cache event in the future called
"Night Caching".

I know many of you expressed an interest in sending cards to Ron's family
but I'm not comfortable giving it over the Internet or what his family's
wishes are. You could "track" it down through other means if you want.
Chris(his son) and Linda(his ex-wife) live in Derry, NH. I do know that Ron
did not want a wake or funeral but to simply have his ashes scattered over a
pond - sounds like LandRocket.

Again, I want to thank each and every one of you for keeping Ron in your
thoughts. He would have liked knowing how many of you were impressed with
him.

Take care and cache on,

Mainiac1957
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks Dick for letting us who don't follow the national chat know of the outcome. I'm sure he will be missed by the caching community, and of course by his family and loved ones. My he rest in peace.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Our heartfelt sympathies to Ron's family and friends.

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.
~From a headstone in Ireland

hollora
01-26-2007, 10:24 PM
This is indeed a sad time for many folks - families and friends of two people. Both will have many who will moarn their loss, but, also folks should rejoice in their time here on Earth. Each one of them surely contributed a great deal - each in their own way. Love for family, friends, nature, animals and probably much more.

I did not personally know Ron but always enjoyed his logs, photos and, of course, sig items. His photo of the motorcycle always intreged me. He and I had actually exchanged emails about his motorcycle passion as my son has the same love.

I was always impressed by the passion and commitment to geocaching. His photos always showed that he was a detail man and loved what he was doing.

My sympathy is extended to all - who have been effected by this accident and tragic losses. In searching for some words of comfort, I found what follows whose author is unknown:

"Relationships are eternal. Separation does not mean separation of souls.
Our relationships do not die; they just change form."
"Success comes from experience, and the best experiences come from your failures..."
Author Unknown

Rest in Peace Ron! You will be missed by many.

Team2hunt
01-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I have seen a few memorial caches and even more memorial coins. We seem to want to hold onto those we have lost. I will celebrate Ron's life, and remember him on my night caches. I think the event sounds fitting.