View Full Version : Good Camping..

Foxgloves
02-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not really familar w/ the state campgrounds in Maine but would like suggestions on campgrounds some of you may have camped at up North towards Katahdin and also Acadia. I really do like state campgrounds although private campgrounds can be nice too. A campground w/ WI-FI is an added bonus for logging your finds at the end of the day rather than waiting to get home to log your umpteen finds throughout the weekend....just a simple tent site is all I need. Any recommendations?

tat
02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
When are looking to camp? There are a lot of places closed till May/June.

firefighterjake
02-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I haven't camped down on the island for some time, but when I have camped there in the past I was partial to the Quietside Campground -- much, much more private than the campsites in Acadia (unless you like having two trees separating you from the next site :) )

When I go up north camping (my preference -- well that and going Downeast) I'll camp off the Golden Road while in the Millinocket Area (Wheelbarrow Pitch or Little Omaha Beach (my #1 pick -- not Omaha Beach -- Hiram can tell you some nightmare stories about that place) are my preferred camping haunts.

When I go to the County I usually go to the state-run campground in Presque Isle -- truly one of the best places I have ever camped. Good, cheap rates. Nice, clean and hot showers and bathrooms. Great folks managing the place. A decent level of privacy and it's usually not crowded . . . and a couple of caches located nearby not to mention the hundreds of caches scattered throughout the County.

When I go Downeast I've always camped at Cobscook Bay State Park -- another pretty decent place . . . especially if you go before the "regular" season since you can get a great, private spot right on the shoreline. I've also camped on one of the islands in the bay that was owned (but has since been sold) by the college I attended. Good memories of a couple of camping outings there -- had the whole island to ourselves . . . picked fresh blueberries on the island for blueberry pancakes . . . found a great sand/gravel beach to hang out on . . . forgot about the legendary Cobscook Bay tides and on a canoe trip around the island ended up having to "portage" the canoe a goodly ways through thick, foot-thick mud when the tide went out and the island more than doubled in size . . . and then there's the time my brother and his buddy left me and my buddy behind with 2/3 of the camping gear and we had to gingerly paddle across the bay with the waterline only being 2 inches or so below the top of the canoe.

Wow . . . it may be frigid outside, but these memories of camping are already making me think of summer again -- not that I'm in any rush, I'm enjoying what little snow and cold we have.

Foxgloves
02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
When are looking to camp? There are a lot of places closed till May/June.

Yes most campgrounds don't open until Memorial Day weekend.
I was hoping to transfer my existing reservations at another campground to a State campground up in Northern Maine...just not sure where. I get overwhelmed looking at the websites....

Thanx for all your suggestions...I will look into some of these...

I'm not interested in the campgrounds that only offer coin operated showers but that you have to drive a mile into town to use....:mad:

tat
02-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Get a Maine Delorme Atlas and Gazzateer. Not only does it have a lot of cool info and maps, but you will no doubt want to tackle the "Delorme Challenge"!

If you look at the key, it shows symbols for primative, public and private campgrounds. There used to be a lot of roadside camping spots and many are still listed on the maps, but, a lot of these have been closed because of abuse.

Team2hunt
02-09-2007, 09:32 PM
If you look at the key, it shows symbols for primative, public and private campgrounds. There used to be a lot of roadside camping spots and many are still listed on the maps, but, a lot of these have been closed because of abuse.

I have the coords for quite a few of the " primitive " campsites, we passed on our way to completing the DeLorme Challenge. No luxuries, and no neighbors. Showers? Just jump in! :rolleyes:

Last year we stayed at Katahdin Shadows Campground and Cabins. http://www.katahdinshadows.com/
We really had it nice in a cabin.

Mainelyroses
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
One of my very favorite campsites of all times is Frost Pond Camps. It is near Mt. Katahdin, but is a private campground. They have a website you can check out: frostpondcamps.com (Sorry I don't know how to do a hyperlink:rolleyes: ) There are a number of really neat geocaches nearby. They have cabins as well as tent sites. We never stayed at the cabins, but the tent sites are really nice, and they have showers at the main building.

Rose:) :) :)

WhereRWe?
02-10-2007, 01:27 PM
One of my very favorite campsites of all times is Frost Pond Camps. It is near Mt. Katahdin, but is a private campground. They have a website you can check out: frostpondcamps.com (http://frostpondcamps.com/) (Sorry I don't know how to do a hyperlink:rolleyes:

I do! :D :D

Zoltarus
02-11-2007, 12:49 AM
The best campground I have ever found was Ocean Wood in Birch Harbor (right near the exit from Schoodic Point loop road). That is quite a way north of what most people think of as Acadia NP, but I think it is worth the drive and schoodic point is well worth seeing. It is right on the waterfront and the owner does not allow radios, partying or other noise which is my primary complaint about campgrounds.

PS - Black Mountain in the nearby Donnell Pond Public Reserve has remote campsites, a great view of the Park and a Cache on top.

Quoddy
02-11-2007, 05:53 PM
One campground I've stayed at about twenty times, year after year, is located off the beaten track on the Scoodic peninsula, just outside of that section of Acadia National Park. Ocean Wood campground in Birch Harbor is run by a great family headed up by Mike Brunton (207 963-7194). There are many types of camping available, each in it's own area, including RV, tenting, and wilderness tenting. One thing special about the campground is that all campers are to respect relative quiet, and those who don't can soon find themselves looking for another place to stay.

The wilderness tenting area is especially nice. By itself, somewhat elevated, just above the ocean's rocky shorefront. In that area it's especially peaceful and quiet...no radios or dogs allowed in this spot. Great views!

I've always stayed in one of three particular RV sites right on the ocean toward the other side of the cove. If you're looking for a bit of night life this isn't the place to come, but there are a few stores and several good restaurants within a couple of miles. The loop drive around the Scoodic section of Acadia is unforgetable.

I had somehow missed the above post when I wrote and posted this. Confirmation is great, though.

Foxgloves
03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Well I took Zoltarus and Quoddy's advice about OceanWood Campground in Birch Harbor and made some reservations. It was a bit more expensive than the other ones but you can't put a price tag on "tranquility" I reserved early enough so I got a great site too.

I researched all the places/suggestions that were mentioned in this thread and it was hard to make a decision. They all seem nice. Thank you all for your input. I get overwhelmed when making decisions like this...

It looks like there are plenty of geocaches up that way so I'm sure I won't get bored. :p

I don't know about everybody else but I CAN"T WAIT till camping season starts!!!!

attroll
03-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I hear you Foxgloves. I can not wait for spring to hit. I am looking forward to doing some backpacking.

cape ann carol
03-20-2007, 03:20 PM
you will be glad you went to ocean woods....Mike Brunton (the owner) is a great guy, he keeps a real nice campground...very quiet, you will hear the waves rolling over the rocks all night.

have a great time!
Cape Ann Carol

Kaching Karen
03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Hasn't it been going on all winter?

Hiram357
03-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Hasn't it been going on all winter?

I don't recall it ending?? did i miss the memo? ;) :D

al'Thor
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
If you come downeast you should definately check out Cobscook Bay State Park. Most campsites are very private and right on the shore line. You can sit and watch the tide come in and out of the bay. It is very quiet and (if you get the right site) gives you the feeling that you are all alone in the wilderness. Showers, outhouses and water supplies are well maintained.

Sabby
03-21-2007, 05:05 PM
If you come downeast you should definately check out Cobscook Bay State Park. Most campsites are very private and right on the shore line. You can sit and watch the tide come in and out of the bay. It is very quiet and (if you get the right site) gives you the feeling that you are all alone in the wilderness. Showers, outhouses and water supplies are well maintained.

I can second that. We stayed at Cobscook in both 2005 and 2006 and had a great time.

Rydnfree
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Not being a huge ocean fan(I know,I know) I like camping inland one of my favorite is Cathedral Pines on flagstaff Lake in Eustis. big sites,good fishing and nice views

Dave and Gail
03-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Gail and I do quite a bit of camping up north,,usually averaging about 12 or so weekends a summer. We especially like the Katahdin Iron works area and the Jo-mary area. These are not state parks, they are part of the North Maine Woods assoc. No Wi-Fi available, but plenty of wilderness campsites. These places are not really all that far from Katahdin, so day trips to the Golden road for Moose watching are feasible. Camping up closer to the Mountain, Horserace brook campsites are nice, and Prays Big Eddy campsites also. Hope you enjoy the camping up this way,,any questions feel free to contact us. "Dave and Gail" and Shamis:)

firefighterjake
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM

I agree . . . especially if you go before the "official" start of the Summer camping season . . . I took my brother there last June (maybe it was May) and we pretty much had the whole place to ourselves other than a couple of other campers.

This state campground and the one in Presque Isle are among my favorite state-run campgrounds . . . pulling off the Golden Road and camping at Little Omaha or Wheelbarrow Pitch however are my favorite sites for really getting away from it all.

Hiram357
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree . . . especially if you go before the "official" start of the Summer camping season . . . I took my brother there last June (maybe it was May) and we pretty much had the whole place to ourselves other than a couple of other campers.

This state campground and the one in Presque Isle are among my favorite state-run campgrounds . . . pulling off the Golden Road and camping at Little Omaha or Wheelbarrow Pitch however are my favorite sites for really getting away from it all.

And there's a really nice cache just past Wheelbarrow Pitch that's only had 2 logs so far... :rolleyes: :D

hide_from_the_kids
04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I love Lamoine St Park and Aroostook St Park (in Preque Isle. Both are run by the state.

Haffy
04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey it's great to see you posting on the site and look forward to seeing you at an event in the future or maybe even on the trail. ( That's if I ever get out myself :) ) Just remember we have all kinds of links to help you with any geocaching related question you may have and some mighty smaht folks who can help you out with your paperless caching as well.

thecyr
07-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Stayed last year at Big Eddy in the Katahdin area (on Golden Road), loved it.
http://www.bigeddy.org/

This is a good thread, does anyone have any recommendations for the southern portion of the State? Lets say from Lewiston down?

thecyr
08-03-2008, 03:31 PM
so nobody has gone camping this year? ;)

I'll be in Acadia in a few weeks, hopefully I can a log caches while down there.

balinda
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
We are heading to Lamoine Aug 15th through the 29th. My in-laws own a place and we camp in the front yard. There are some beautiful places around Acadia. I hope to place a cache or two in Lamoine while I am there. (Owner permission still pending)

Looking forward to bumping into fellow cachers.

robt
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM

I'll be in Acadia in a few weeks, hopefully I can a log caches while down there.

The Warren Island Campout is scheduled here in a few weeks. :)

WhereRWe?
08-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Well, we spent 6 days camping so far this summer - in Quebec! LOL!

This (http://www.campingquebec.com/lamaisonverte/indexeng.shtml) is a good camping area - and has WiFi all over the campground. But for some reason we could only log onto the internet the first day. I even parked in front of the campground owner's house, where the signal comes from, and still couldn't log on even though I had a great signal.

We also spent a couple of nights here (http://www.campingquebec.com/domainechampetre/indexeng.shtml) - another nice campground but with no internet access.

(And yes, they speak English! LOL!)

firefighterjake
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM

I've been in June and July. In June I went to the always beautiful Cobscook Bay State Park where I met up with Team2Hunt, Foxgloves and Parmacheenee. Had a great time downeast with fantastic weather and good caching . . . spent a large part of one day on Campobello Island.

I also went caching and camping with Hiram and Medawisla up north on a DeLorme caching trip . . . put in a lot of miles and found a few caches (and checked off our northern maps) and ended up getting soaking wet when my cheap Walmart tent proved to be no match for a downpour.

Camping this month will most likely be out as I am rushing to remodel our living room, build a hearth for the new woodstove and get it installed and get in my firewood before mid-September. The good news is that Heidi and I did take down a wall, put a new wall up and totally remodel the den in five days so getting all my "to do" list things done can happen . . . as long as the Evil Hiram is not trying to tempt me with eating out at UHOP. ;):D With luck I should be able to go camping in mid-September for the Tread Lightly event . . . and with even more luck may make it to the Eustis Event . . . although that is not as certain.

Hiram357
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I've been in June and July. In June I went to the always beautiful Cobscook Bay State Park where I met up with Team2Hunt, Foxgloves and Parmacheenee. Had a great time downeast with fantastic weather and good caching . . . spent a large part of one day on Campobello Island.

I also went caching and camping with Hiram and Medawisla up north on a DeLorme caching trip . . . put in a lot of miles and found a few caches (and checked off our northern maps) and ended up getting soaking wet when my cheap Walmart tent proved to be no match for a downpour.

Camping this month will most likely be out as I am rushing to remodel our living room, build a hearth for the new woodstove and get it installed and get in my firewood before mid-September. The good news is that Heidi and I did take down a wall, put a new wall up and totally remodel the den in five days so getting all my "to do" list things done can happen . . . as long as the Evil Hiram is not trying to tempt me with eating out at UHOP. ;):D With luck I should be able to go camping in mid-September for the Tread Lightly event . . . and with even more luck may make it to the Eustis Event . . . although that is not as certain.

Jake, I think that's the first time you've referenced the northern trip without going on about the BBQ sauce... :rolleyes:

and yes, the TreadLightly event will be some good camping, as well as the eustis event, so you'd better get your house done already! :D

firefighterjake
08-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Jake, I think that's the first time you've referenced the northern trip without going on about the BBQ sauce... :rolleyes:

and yes, the TreadLightly event will be some good camping, as well as the eustis event, so you'd better get your house done already! :D

Sure . . . just when I finally forget about those great tasting ribs you have to remind me. I did think of them the other day though . . . picked my first two tomatoes from the garden and I was thinking . . . I wonder if I could make these into Hiram's Famous BBQ Sauce or if I need more. True story.

By the way, you guys want to go to Texas Roadhouse sometime this weekend maybe or are you going away? Heidi and I need to make a sheetrock run to the Home Depot (or Lowes).

And yes . . . I am working like a posessed banshee to get my house done enough to free up time for camping in September. I'll most likely be skipping out on a Club ATV ride this Saturday in fact since I value the geocaching Tread Lightly event so highly . . . I've got some sheetrock to put up and in, need to build a hearth, schedule the Chimney Guy to install a chimney and of course finish getting in my firewood. Of course one of my first things to do is get the woodstove off my trailer . . . that thing ways a ton . . . hey . . . since I need help moving it and you're my "Go To" Moving Guy Friend (so far you've got a chimney, old boiler and birdfeeder on your "moved" tally . . . and if you had shown up earlier on Saturday you would have been able to add "couch" to that list as well.) ;):D And yes, I am just kidding . . . well about having you help me move it . . . it really does way a lot.

mipster
08-08-2008, 07:26 PM
We go camping every year as part of the WACO Wranglers group. My most favorite place so has to be First Chain Lake. There is a camp site right next to a private sandy beach. There is a number there to call to reserve the spot. We used the out house that was a short distance up the road at a camp (no one was around). We kayaked, swam, & placed a cache! It's not far off of Rt. 9. Check it out! I'll bet you'll love it too!
Mipster

Medawisla
08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Sure . . . just when I finally forget about those great tasting ribs you have to remind me. I did think of them the other day though . . . picked my first two tomatoes from the garden and I was thinking . . . I wonder if I could make these into Hiram's Famous BBQ Sauce or if I need more. True story.

By the way, you guys want to go to Texas Roadhouse sometime this weekend maybe or are you going away? Heidi and I need to make a sheetrock run to the Home Depot (or Lowes).

And yes . . . I am working like a posessed banshee to get my house done enough to free up time for camping in September. I'll most likely be skipping out on a Club ATV ride this Saturday in fact since I value the geocaching Tread Lightly event so highly . . . I've got some sheetrock to put up and in, need to build a hearth, schedule the Chimney Guy to install a chimney and of course finish getting in my firewood. Of course one of my first things to do is get the woodstove off my trailer . . . that thing ways a ton . . . hey . . . since I need help moving it and you're my "Go To" Moving Guy Friend (so far you've got a chimney, old boiler and birdfeeder on your "moved" tally . . . and if you had shown up earlier on Saturday you would have been able to add "couch" to that list as well.) ;):D And yes, I am just kidding . . . well about having you help me move it . . . it really does way a lot.

We heard through the grapevine that you had even more occupations to attend to this weekend! :p;) Sorry we didn't get back to you about Texas Roadhouse, we went camping! :D We'll have to get together next time you come up; maybe the 23rd or that weekend anyway.:cool:

Medawisla
08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
We go camping every year as part of the WACO Wranglers group. My most favorite place so has to be First Chain Lake. There is a camp site right next to a private sandy beach. There is a number there to call to reserve the spot. We used the out house that was a short distance up the road at a camp (no one was around). We kayaked, swam, & placed a cache! It's not far off of Rt. 9. Check it out! I'll bet you'll love it too!
Mipster

Glad you'll at least make the Tread Lightly event, even though you can't camp. Can't wait!
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f605753a-728c-4ad5-ae51-398e780c09be