View Full Version : Whats your story?

Foxgloves
02-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm always interested in hearing how everyone came up with their geocaching handle...

Lets hear it... Here

Fox are my favorite wildlife. They are sly and they are fast and I love FAST! LoL
I love their coloring and their gloves on their paws.
I have had many litters of pups in my field in front of my house over the years. They are so cute and I always enjoy watching them play. I was able to get as close as 5 ft away from two little babies one summer. I think they were twins. I became very attached to them and they knew it and they trusted me.
"Foxglove" flowers are also one of my favorite perennials and naturally I just picked the name. I didn't even have to think about it.

Beach Comber
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Pretty simple for me - I love to comb the beaches!!

brdad
02-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Mine is easy too, I live in Maine where it's cold ... brrrrrr. and I have a dad.

Okay, actually, I mistyped when I signed up - it was supposed to be brad, but I added a d by mistake.

Or maybe it is because I am Brian's dad. You decide.

pjpreb
02-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Pete & Jo Preble

aka PJPreb :)

steverph
02-18-2007, 04:01 PM
steverph has been my email name for years and I use it on many websites. My name is Steve and I am an R.Ph. (registered pharmacist).

Team2hunt
02-18-2007, 04:05 PM
We had just found our first cache, and the clock was ticking. Well, we were a team, of 2 :D :) and we went hunting. Team2hunt. And sort of a play on the words, " time 2 hunt ". Which we always seem to find the time for. Then there's 1manteam. He split off when he wanted to start logging caches under his own nick. Half of team is 1 :D ....and the rest just fell into place.

Rydnfree
02-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Rydnfree has been my email for 10+ years, and its how I feel on a warm day in July riding down a curvy backroad with no one in sight

Bass_Chaz
02-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I like to fish, Bass is my favorite...
Chaz was the way my name appeared in the phonebook for years.. Thus.. and Ive used it for email on Yahoo as well as others.
I started a BBS (WAY BACK) and It was called "Equinox" but that just didnt seem to fit me anymore..

WhereRWe?
02-18-2007, 04:49 PM
(Seems to me I've told this story before, but for the newcomers, here goes again...)

I've always had a good sense of direction, while the Wife can get lost walking around the house. Often, when I knew we were traveling and I knew she was TOTALLY lost, I'd say "Where are we"?, to which she'd always answer - in jest - "Are you lost, too"?.

So, when we started geocaching, the choice was obvious. :D :D

hollora
02-18-2007, 05:56 PM
hollora = Holmes (first 3 letters) + Lois-Ann (first 2 letters) + Ralph (first 2 letters) - created as an anagram game when we were trying to come up with a kennel name. Early on raising our children we were involved with raising, breeding & showing dogs. Hollora Boxers N' Shibas. We have one old fellow left - no longer breed or show. He sometimes rides in the Geobuggy but prefers the seat and cookies to the trail. LOL

LaughingTerry
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Ask me sometime when you meet me and if I stop laughing long enough I will tell you.

tat
02-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Mine is simply my initials.

Hiram357
02-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I would tell... but I can't, I'm running out of places to hide the bodies... :cool: (just kidding) But I really can't go into detail about the nature of my name, But if you ever want to read some good stories, look up Hiram Abif sometime. :D

EGSG
02-18-2007, 11:57 PM
When I first heard of geocaching I thought it would be something I would enjoy. I wasn't sure if my wife would see the thrill. So I thought if I included her name in our handle it would draw her in. Turns out it didn't matter, she loves it as much as I do. I'm just happy we have a 4 letter name. It makes signing all those logs easier. I've gone caching with my sister, brothers and son and it's a pain to write their names - Pettyatis, Geissonator, Magillacious, Polarize and G - Force.

attroll
02-19-2007, 12:34 AM
I had some people when I was in the military that would take pot shots at pronouncing my last name and somehow one guy started calling me Troll (which is not close). So when I started using the web and needed a user name I decided on Troll and I found that Troll was a well used name and I needed something that was unique and different. So my passion is the Appalachian Trail. I added AT to the front of Troll and that was how I cam up with Attroll.

Dave and Gail
02-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Well,,,here goes,,,,,My name is Dave and my lovely wife's name is Gail,,,thought we would keep it simple!!! Happy caching to everyone from "Dave and Gail":D

vicbiker
02-19-2007, 09:48 AM
When I first joined the Bcm (Bicycle Coalition of Maine) one of the first people I met was Bob.We started staying in touch by email,I learned his email address was Bobbiker.Wow what a cool name !! ;)His name was Bob and he was a bicyclist so therefore Bobbiker.After untold sleepless nights and hours and hours of mind wrenching thoughts I came up with Vicbiker.:D

I know its not as cool as Bobbiker,what with all the b's in his name.But Vivviker didn't make any sense.Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

Mainelyroses
02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Mine is pretty obvious too.....My name is Rose and I'm from Maine...AND, although my husband and granddaughter cache with me most of the time, it's mainly Rose's idea.:D

Foxgloves
02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
When I first joined the Bcm (Bicycle Coalition of Maine) one of the first people I met was Bob.We started staying in touch by email,I learned his email address was Bobbiker.Wow what a cool name !! ;)His name was Bob and he was a bicyclist so therefore Bobbiker.After untold sleepless nights and hours and hours of mind wrenching thoughts I came up with Vicbiker.:D

I know its not as cool as Bobbiker,what with all the b's in his name.But Vivviker didn't make any sense.Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

BobBiker sounds too much like Bob Barker.
I think ya done good w/ Vicbiker. Much cooler than BobBarker ..I mean BobBiker…
At first I thought you were a motorcyclist…now I get it!

Foxgloves
02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I had some people when I was in the military that would take pot shots at pronouncing my last name and somehow one guy started calling me Troll (which is not close). So when I started using the web and needed a user name I decided on Troll and I found that Troll was a well used name and I needed something that was unique and different. So my passion is the Appalachian Trail. I added AT to the front of Troll and that was how I cam up with Attroll.

Your name was one I was really curious about....is your real last name that hard to pronounce? :confused:

Foxgloves
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
TAT,

I'm so glad your middle name isn't Irwin....:o ;) :D
Then what would you have come up with?

attroll
02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Your name was one I was really curious about....is your real last name that hard to pronounce? :confused:
No it is very easy. My last name is Towle. Some people look at it and pronounce it Towel. But I think the proper way to pronounce it is like Toll with the W sound in front of the L.

number seven
02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
My name was given to me by the clown's that I use to hike with. What's wrong with a 80lb plus pack ? Mad Jack's donky {number seven}:D:D

vicbiker
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm always interested in hearing how everyone came up with their geocaching handle...

Lets hear it... Here

Fox are my favorite wildlife. They are sly and they are fast and I love FAST! LoL
I love their coloring and their gloves on their paws.
I have had many litters of pups in my field in front of my house over the years. They are so cute and I always enjoy watching them play. I was able to get as close as 5 ft away from two little babies one summer. I think they were twins. I became very attached to them and they knew it and they trusted me.

"Foxglove" flowers are also one of my favorite perennials and naturally I just picked the name. I didn't even have to think about it.Foxgloves are actually biennials,they are the original source of digitalis.Digitalis is poisonous and can be deadly even in small doses.You are small,but are you deadly.:D:D:D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Foxgloves are actually biennials,they are the original source of digitalis.Digitalis is poisonous and can be deadly even in small doses.You are small,but are you deadly.:D:D:D[/quote]

Digitalis, A.K.A. digoxin(lanoxin) is used to treat cardiac dysrhythmias, most commonly Atrial Fib and Atrial Flutter. Although "dig-toxic" does happen as some of the folks afflicted are elderly and either forget they took their daily dose and double up because they think they remember that they forgot to take it he day before(say that 3 times fast). Then again, Warafin, better known as "decon" is also used as a blood thinner, a.k.a. coumadin.

So, Foxgloves, think of yourself as a lifesaver and not deadly:D :D :D

vicbiker
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
[quote=Trezurs*-R-*Fun;28309]

Digitalis, A.K.A. digoxin(lanoxin) is used to treat cardiac dysrhythmias, most commonly Atrial Fib and Atrial Flutter. Although "dig-toxic" does happen as some of the folks afflicted are elderly and either forget they took their daily dose and double up because they think they remember that they forgot to take it he day before(say that 3 times fast). Then again, Warafin, better known as "decon" is also used as a blood thinner, a.k.a. coumadin.[quote]I knew if I was to try and get a little technical some one would come along and blow me out of the water.:):):)

Hiker Twins
02-19-2007, 05:40 PM
We are twins, we like to hike and we usually cache sans the husbands so we are the Hiker Twins!

steverph
02-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Digitalis, A.K.A. digoxin(lanoxin) is used to treat cardiac dysrhythmias, most commonly Atrial Fib and Atrial Flutter. Although "dig-toxic" does happen as some of the folks afflicted are elderly and either forget they took their daily dose and double up because they think they remember that they forgot to take it he day before(say that 3 times fast). Then again, Warafin, better known as "decon" is also used as a blood thinner, a.k.a. coumadin.

Wow, do we have another pharmacist in the group? :) The name Warfarin comes from the Wisconsin Alumni Research Fund (WARF) that supported the original research that led to its discovery.

Mainiac1957
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Funny, I did this same thread last June. I'm surprised no one remembered. (Some of you people don't forget anything!) :rolleyes: :p ;) However there are many new members with many new stories to share. Thanks for bringing it up again Nicki (Hope that's the right spelling). Anyways here is my story.

Mine is very simple. I had read and article on an in flight magazine while taking a trip. The premise seemed extremely interesting to me. It was a couple years later that I finally went out and purchased my first GPSr for the sole purpose of geocaching. A Garmin Vista, the top of the line E-trex model in 2003. I went with Garmin since I owned a Garmin model 40 that I had bought for my boat when I lived in Florida back in 1995. I had used the name Mainiac as an e-mail address while I was living down there since I was from Maine. I just used a little different spelling. And 1957 because it's the year I was born. I did my first hunt here in Brewer on July 6, 2003 and as they say, the rest is history...I'm hooked. I have met so many good people over the last 4 years, I can't wait to see what the future brings not only for me, but for the hobby in general.

Dave and Gail
02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
UMMM,,,Brad,,,,,Hello Brad,,,nice story, but it's missing something. (Hint,,,where does the Mainiac1957 come from) LOL,,,I know where the 1957 comes from, (unfortunately). What about the Mainiac??

Hiram357
02-19-2007, 07:27 PM
UMMM,,,Brad,,,,,Hello Brad,,,nice story, but it's missing something. (Hint,,,where does the Mainiac1957 come from) LOL,,,I know where the 1957 comes from, (unfortunately). What about the Mainiac??

His therapist usually doesn't let him discuss that part of his past... :rolleyes: :p

Mainiac1957
02-19-2007, 07:28 PM

Watta ya mean Dave.....Look again:rolleyes:

Haffy
02-19-2007, 07:33 PM
My handle comes from the spelling of my last name and it's also a nickname I have had for many many years. I just shortenend it to Haffy. It's a long German name very similiar to Haffenreffer, that other German beer.

Dave and Gail
02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry Brad,,:o Thats what I get for speed reading,,,besides , My eyes are getting really old, maybe I just did'nt see it. I was born back in 57 also.:p Gail say's Hi,,,

Foxgloves
02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Foxgloves are actually biennials,they are the original source of digitalis.Digitalis is poisonous and can be deadly even in small doses.You are small,but are you deadly.:D:D:D

I did know that they are biennials but I didn't think that anyone else would know the difference... You guys are good. I'm impressed!
Now I've been called a lot of things in my life but DEADLY? :confused:
Ouch that hurts.....:(

So, Foxgloves, think of yourself as a lifesaver and not deadly:D :D :D[/quote] I like that better.... LoL

tat
02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
TAT,

I'm so glad your middle name isn't Irwin....:o ;) :D
Then what would you have come up with?

I am an engineer and engineers are often required to initial technical drawings. I was a little self conscious about my initials after I finished my first "official" drawing. I actually sat there for a few minutes, contemplating what the rest of my professional life was going to be like as "TAT". Then, it hit me; I am TAT!

hollora
02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
And TATing is an almost lost art of creating beautiful handwork. Oh my - I may have said something that will be taken wrong on this site LOL - so lets just say lace like edgwork. Using a shuttle you fashion beautiful creations. So - TATing is a good thing and TAT is a great name. TAT you are appreciated - love caching, camping and sharing time with you and can't wait to do it again!

vicbiker
02-19-2007, 10:59 PM
And TATing is an almost lost art of creating beautiful handwork. And you're my co-host!!!:D:D:D

firefighterjake
02-20-2007, 06:44 AM
I was lazy and just copied this from the old thread . . .

I've had many knicknames over the years ranging from Oliver in high school -- named after a dorky, klutzy guardian angel in an ABC After School TV special to Psycho in college (we won't go into why or how I got that name) and many folks know me as JJ, J, etc. but at work I'm pretty much known by the knickname I use here and at other forums -- FirefighterJake.

While you may or may not realize this in the City of Boston there is a tradition where every new firefighter is called a "Jake" while on their probation . . . true story. Unfortunately, the City of Bangor does not have such a tradition.

I picked up the moniker shortly after I was hired by Bangor back in 1995 when an Assistant Chief started calling me Jake. At first I thought he simply mixed up my real name. After several weeks had gone by and by now everyone was calling me Jake I asked him about the Boston FD connection to which he told me that he actually called me Jake since I reminded him of his pet bassett hound Jacob (aka Jake). I never thought of myself with particularly big ears -- short and fat, sure, but big ears? In any case a few weeks later he brought in Jake and another bassett hound which he introduced as Jake's girlfriend . . . and her name was (true story) Heidi which as some of you know happens to be my wife's name!

I don't really mind this knickname since it beats the first knickname a Dispatcher tried to pin on me -- Lt. Goober -- as well as a name that a Firefighter tried to give me -- Mittens. In addition it works well for dealing with children while doing public education.

WhereRWe?
02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
It's a long German name very similiar to Haffenreffer, that other German beer.

Oh, oh! Now you've done it, Haffy! LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hiram357
02-20-2007, 08:42 AM
My handle comes from the spelling of my last name and it's also a nickname I have had for many many years. I just shortenend it to Haffy. It's a long German name very similiar to Haffenreffer, that other German beer.

Oh, oh! Now you've done it, Haffy! LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wellll.... Since we're on the subject of German beers... :D :p :rolleyes:

Foxgloves
02-20-2007, 09:38 AM
....... but at work I'm pretty much known by the knickname I use here and at other forums -- FirefighterJake.

While you may or may not realize this in the City of Boston there is a tradition where every new firefighter is called a "Jake" while on their probation . . . true story. Unfortunately, the City of Bangor does not have such a tradition.

I picked up the moniker shortly after I was hired by Bangor back in 1995 when an Assistant Chief started calling me Jake. At first I thought he simply mixed up my real name. After several weeks had gone by and by now everyone was calling me Jake I asked him about the Boston FD connection to which he told me that he actually called me Jake since I reminded him of his pet bassett hound Jacob (aka Jake). I never thought of myself with particularly big ears -- short and fat, sure, but big ears? In any case a few weeks later he brought in Jake and another bassett hound which he introduced as Jake's girlfriend . . . and her name was (true story) Heidi which as some of you know happens to be my wife's name!

I don't really mind this knickname since it beats the first knickname a Dispatcher tried to pin on me -- Lt. Goober -- as well as a name that a Firefighter tried to give me -- Mittens. In addition it works well for dealing with children while doing public education.

I have always loved the name Jake....and coincidently this is the name of my imaginary Chocolate Lab that someday I'd like to have. Its such a nice name.
I love your story about the bassett hounds. That is too cute! and the trivia about Boston Fire fighters is very cool too. I never knew that.
When I think of the name Jake I automatically think of a strong, kind and compassionate person...and I guess that is appropriate for FireFighters.

Mittens??? I'd love to hear about that one...and your college nickname??????;)