View Full Version : Does anyone know?

Foxgloves
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
If you open GSAK and go to TOOLS>OPTIONS
In the 2nd field box from the top you have 4 boxes you can check off

Exact Match
Wild Card Match
Owner ID#
RegExMine is set to Owner ID# and there is a 6 digit number in the box.
Does anyone know where that # comes from or where I may have gotten it to type in?
I have not adjusted any settings in here since I started using GSAK years ago so I do not remember where I got that ID# from.

I vaguely remember someone telling me that the number is located in the URL address bar of every cache that you own. Apparently everyone has an internal GC.com ID# in addition to their handle name which would make sense.
If you open up a cache page to one of your TB’s and look at the URL address bar there is text at the end that says id=xxxxx
Similarly, it seems like that is where I had seen and retrieved my Owner ID# way back when I set up my GSAK settings. I have looked and looked this morning and I cannot find where in my profile this number exists? None of the text in the URL Address box resembles the number I have typed in that field box.

I looked in GSAK Help but it doesn’t say where you get this number from. It only gives reasons why you would choose certain options in that field box. I understand why Geocachers have an ID# but just don’t know where it is documented on GC.com and where to retrieve it.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about? :rolleyes:

brdad
03-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't use GSAK, but I can help with your user ID. It is 127369 (incidently, that means you were the 127,369th registered member)

It used to show up in your cache URLs, but they now use a GUID - not sure why, but I imagine it has to do something with protecting their data/bandwidth.

Anyway, here is one easy way you can get your user ID, if you have ever posted to the Groundspeak forums.

1. Go to the Groundspeak forums.
2. Find and load a thread you have posted to.
3. Either a: mousover your name under your avatar - the url with user ID will show at the bottom of the page; or b: click your user name and the url with user ID will be on your profile page.

Rydnfree
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
From gsak 201 :

Don’t know your Owner ID#? You can easily locate it using one of the following approaches:

1) If you have placed (hidden) caches: Go to the geocaching.com page for a cache you own and download the GPX file for that cache. Load the GPX file into your GSAK database. Add the “Owner ID” column to your GSAK view (see “Adding and Removing Columns”, above). Locate the cache you own in the GSAK Grid View and copy down the number from the “Owner ID” column.
2) If you have found caches: Go the geocaching.com page of a cache you recently found and download the GPX file for that cache. Open the GPX file with any text editor (e.g. Notepad, Wordpad, Microsoft Word, Word Perfect). Search (Edit>Find in most text editors) for the Geocaching.com name under which you logged the cache. This should take you to a line that looks like this: <groundspeak:finder id="123456">Geocacher</groundspeak:finder>. Your Owner ID# is the number right after “groundspeak:finder id=”.
3) If you don’t own any caches and haven’t found any caches: Log into geocaching.com and click on “Forums” in the menu on the left side of the page. Scroll down and click “Enter the Groundspeak Forums”. Click on the “Getting Started” forum, then click on the “Testing, Testing…Test Posting Area”. Click on the “Add Reply” button. Type anything in the entry box (e.g. Just testing) and then scroll down and click on the “Add Reply” button. Hover your cursor over (don’t click) your geocaching name in the upper left corner of the post you just added. Your OwnerID# will appear in the status bar at the bottom of your browser window, immediately after “showuser=”.

Once you have you Owner ID#, in GSAK, go to Tools>Options General tab, click on the circle in front of “Owner ID#” and enter your number in the white box, then click on the “OK” button to close that dialog box.

Foxgloves
03-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't use GSAK, but I can help with your user ID. It is 127369 (incidently, that means you were the 127,369th registered member)

It used to show up in your cache URLs, but they now use a GUID - not sure why, but I imagine it has to do something with protectign their data/bandwidth.

Thank you!!!
No wonder I couldn't find it ...
I thought it was a number only the geocacher themself had access too. I didn't know anyone could get my number as well. I wonder why they don't just have a place in your personal profile where this number can be located.
Thanks for the help!