View Full Version : Happy March 17th Everyone!

Foxgloves
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/EMSDudette/BUCKET120.gif

I bet I know what Hiram's doing today....:D

brdad
03-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Shoveling his Jeep out of 6 inches of slush?

Hiram357
03-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Shoveling his Jeep out of 6 inches of slush?

noooooo... the jeep drove out just fine. (I backed into the parking space enough so that I had a lil more momentum to break through what the plow trucks piled in front of me this time.... it never fails every time it snows hard enough to plow, I'm parked at the end of the parking lot where they pile everything up...)

but anyways...

HAPPY BEER DAY!!! :D :D :D

(my favorite glass will be gettin it's fair share of use today)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/beer.jpg

Mainiac1957
03-17-2007, 03:38 PM
I have working to wire a new Irish Pub in downtown Bangor over the last few weeks. They opened the doors this very morning for their grand opening. 6 am to be exact. I was there on the corner stool with a black and tan to start the day off right. With a Smithwicks as a follow up, my day was starting fine. I'm headed back down there in a little while if anyone would care to join me.

vicbiker
03-17-2007, 03:42 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/EMSDudette/BUCKET120.gif

I bet I know what Hiram's doing today....:D CRYING in his BEER, because his JEEP is STUCK in the snow...:D

Hiram357
03-17-2007, 03:44 PM
CRYING in his BEER, because his JEEP is STUCK in the snow...:D

but it didn't get stuck today, already been to the store and back. so... :p
Trimmed up the beef and now I'm sittin back to knock back a few more before dinner. :D

Rydnfree
03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
noooooo... the jeep drove out just fine. (I backed into the parking space enough so that I had a lil more momentum to break through what the plow trucks piled in front of me this time.... it never fails every time it snows hard enough to plow, I'm parked at the end of the parking lot where they pile everything up...)

but anyways...

HAPPY BEER DAY!!! :D :D :D

(my favorite glass will be gettin it's fair share of use today)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/beer.jpg
Is that homebrew in this glass or store bought?

Foxgloves
03-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I have working to wire a new Irish Pub in downtown Bangor over the last few weeks. They opened the doors this very morning for their grand opening. 6 am to be exact. I was there on the corner stool with a black and tan to start the day off right. With a Smithwicks as a follow up, my day was starting fine. I'm headed back down there in a little while if anyone would care to join me.

Jeeesh.... I guess all that hard work paid off huh? Have one for me would ya? Any micro brew will do just fine.

Cheers http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/EMSDudette/BUBBEL120.gif

WhereRWe?
03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Sheesh! I'm glad I'm not Irish - I hate Guinness! (I like Scotch, though - the maltier the better - it's in the genes, I guess...) :p :p

But I do LOVE corned beef, and we often make our own. Can't compare with the packaged stuff.

Sheesh! I'm always up for a reason to eat and drink! Anyone else want to contribute a national/ethnic holiday so we can party some more? LOL!

pjpreb
03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
My Dad is 100% Irish. We're (hopefully) going to Ireland in 2009.

a few Irish Blessings...

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand

May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead

May your day be touched by a bit of Irish luck,
brightened by a song in your heart,
and warmed by the smiles of the people you love

If God sends you down a stony path,
may he give you strong shoes (and a Garmin) ;)

Wherever you go and whatever you do,
May the luck of the Irish be there with you.

And finally (For Hiram) :

An Irish Pub Joke...
An Irishman, an Englishman and a Scotsman go into a pub. Each orders a pint of Guinness. Just as the bartender hands them over, three flies buzz down and land-- one, two, three-- in each of the pints.
The Englishman looks disgusted, pushes his pint away and demands another... the Scotsman picks out the fly, shrugs, and takes a long swallow.

The Irishman reaches in to the glass, grabs the fly between his fingers and shakes him as hard as he can, shouting 'Spit it out, ya bloody bastard! Spit it out!' :p :D

Hiram357
03-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Is that homebrew in this glass or store bought?

The bottles in the back were empty... they had homebrew in em, the glass was guinness. :D

Sheesh! I'm glad I'm not Irish - I hate Guinness! (I like Scotch, though - the maltier the better - it's in the genes, I guess...) :p :p

But I do LOVE corned beef, and we often make our own. Can't compare with the packaged stuff.

Sheesh! I'm always up for a reason to eat and drink! Anyone else want to contribute a national/ethnic holiday so we can party some more? LOL!

I could drink guinness one right after the other! but the big problem is that I'm actually allergic to the stuff... seriously... every time I drink a lot of it I break out in handcuffs! :D
I just made some corned beef and cabbage with some spuds. Yeah... beer and cabbage... I'll probably get getting a warning from the EPA tomorrow... :rolleyes:

The Irishman reaches in to the glass, grabs the fly between his fingers and shakes him as hard as he can, shouting 'Spit it out, ya bloody bastard! Spit it out!' :p :D

There's a pub where all the salesmen for the different major breweries gather each week, one from budweiser, rolling rock, michelobe, molson, and guinness. They all show up to the bar and each orders the brew of their employers, except for the guinness salesman, he orders a cokes. The other salesmen look at him bewildered, and one asks, "What? You're not going to drink a beer?" and the guinness salesman replied "Nah, if you guys arent drinkin beer, I won't either"

firefighterjake
03-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Well if it's the one I helped to inspect a week or so ago I hope they got the hood system ducted up correctly . . . when our senior inspector told them what they needed to do to comply with the code I thought the guy was going to break down and start crying . . . of course it could be the other Irish pub right across the way (hmmm . . . it appears as though Irish Pubs are becoming as common as mushrooms, pizza places and Chinese Restaurants. :D )

firefighterjake
03-19-2007, 09:07 AM

I too love the great slab of salted meat . . . how exactly do you make corned beef . . . I would be interested in knowing how to do this.

Sudonim
03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
I too love the great slab of salted meat . . . how exactly do you make corned beef . . . I would be interested in knowing how to do this.

I think there was an article in the BDN last week on making corned beef. It involves injecting a brine solution into the meat and marinating it for 12-24 hours if memory serves...

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM

I have a recipe that I've used for years.

8 Cups Water
1 cup Salt
3 TBLS. Sugar
1 Clove Garlic (Chopped)
6 Peppercorns
4 TBLS. Picking Spice

Mix ingredients together, make sure meat is totally covered (double the recipe to make more brine). Keep meat completely submerged in brine for 36-48 hours at room temperature. Take meat out of brine, rinse and cook or freeze.

To keep meat submerged, I use a dinner plate weighted down with a cup of water floated on top of the crock or pan with the brine.

I've used this primarily on big game, it a big hit a the Fire Station and many of the hunters will do this so we have lots of Boiled Dinners.

Hiram357
03-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I have a recipe that I've used for years.

8 Cups Water
1 cup Salt
3 TBLS. Sugar
1 Clove Garlic (Chopped)
6 Peppercorns
4 TBLS. Picking Spice

Mix ingredients together, make sure meat is totally covered (double the recipe to make more brine). Keep meat completely submerged in brine for 36-48 hours at room temperature. Take meat out of brine, rinse and cook or freeze.

To keep meat submerged, I use a dinner plate weighted down with a cup of water floated on top of the crock or pan with the brine.

I've used this primarily on big game, it a big hit a the Fire Station and many of the hunters will do this so we have lots of Boiled Dinners.

room temp for 36 -48 hours?? not refrigerated? When you cook the meat, do you bring the water to a boil and then turn it down and let the meat simmer in it? (or do you use a slow cooker?) and when you cook the meat do you add anything to the water that you're using to cook the meat?

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
room temp for 36 -48 hours?? not refrigerated? When you cook the meat, do you bring the water to a boil and then turn it down and let the meat simmer in it? (or do you use a slow cooker?) and when you cook the meat do you add anything to the water that you're using to cook the meat?

I let the brine with the meat sit on the counter for 36-48 hours. As far as cooking the corned meat, cook it like you would a boil dinner. I use my electric Crock Pot and that works super well. Cover the meat and vegetables with water and set the CrockPot on low for all day...

Hiram357
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I let the brine with the meat sit on the counter for 36-48 hours. As far as cooking the corned meat, cook it like you would a boil dinner. I use my electric Crock Pot and that works super well. Cover the meat and vegetables with water and set the CrockPot on low for all day...

we should have a boiled dinner cache event!! :D :D :D

Sudonim
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
we should have a boiled dinner cache event!! :D :D :D

Outdoor event, or indoors with lots of open windows?:eek:
mmmmm....cabbage:p

Hiram357
03-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Outdoor event, or indoors with lots of open windows?:eek:
mmmmm....cabbage:p

we could do it indoors, anyone have any connections at the bangor auditorium?? (and jake you can invite the bangor FD!) :D

Mainiac1957
03-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Well if it's the one I helped to inspect a week or so ago I hope they got the hood system ducted up correctly . . . when our senior inspector told them what they needed to do to comply with the code I thought the guy was going to break down and start crying . . . of course it could be the other Irish pub right across the way (hmmm . . . it appears as though Irish Pubs are becoming as common as mushrooms, pizza places and Chinese Restaurants. :D )

I was there all last week so I'm suprised I didn't see you. All the items in question had been gone over previously and then it seemed like things changed. Or so I was told. Everything seems to have gotten worked out now. We are going to be completing the work as requested tomorrow or Thursday. A great pub, with good food.

vicbiker
03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
room temp for 36 -48 hours?? not refrigerated? When you cook the meat, do you bring the water to a boil and then turn it down and let the meat simmer in it? (or do you use a slow cooker?) and when you cook the meat do you add anything to the water that you're using to cook the meat?I rarely eat red meat these days....when I did a good corned beef was at the top of the list...we used to make our own in a big croak.To make a boiled dinner I use a cast iron dutch oven..get it good and hot...place the meat in the empty kettle and sear it all over...add just enough cold water to cover....slowly boil adding all the spice's...then later add the vegie's...Hmm Hmm good.