View Full Version : Hiram's Believe it or not... (GARMINS RULE!)

Hiram357
03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
So to start the story off, I bought a new GPS (Garmin 76cs) a few weeks ago (The same day as the WWWWWWWWWW3 event) Well, it just so happens that the same day I lost my trusty old GPS72 (a sad day) Well, since I lost it we have had quite a bit of snow, The parking lot in front of my apartment has been plowed about 3 or 4 times now. And as I was coming home from the store today I saw a familiar chunk of plastic in the snow, so I chipped away at the ice and lo and behold there was my GPS!!! I was quite sad, how could my GPS that has been out in the elements for that long (and being plowed over and over again) still work!?!!? So I brought it inside, stuck it in the sink to rinse off the ice and frozen mud, and I pushed the power button....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/SuperGarmin.jpg

I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES! IT STILL WORKED!!!! (I didn't even hafta put new batteries in it!!) :D :D :D

(I guess you could say the garmin is just like me! It takes a beating, it bears the scars, and it still works! (when the boss is around)) :D :D :D

Haffy
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
So maybe your next investment should be a new camera that takes good pictures that you can see.....:p :p ;)

Hiram357
03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
So maybe your next investment should be a new camera that takes good pictures that you can see.....:p :p ;)

That's a brand new camera! (I just haven't figured out how to use it yet) The old one got smooshed in my pocked when I went down the toboggan chute at the Nationals in Camden :D

hollora
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Once you figure out the camera send your photos to Garmin and they will probably post it on their site. This is quite a testimonial.

Hiram357
03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Once you figure out the camera send your photos to Garmin and they will probably post it on their site. This is quite a testimonial.

after all this unit has been through, i think it should end up in a frame (but it wouldn't do me any good in a frame) :D

FuddsGirls
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Maybe the picture was and is clear to Hiram but we don't all wear beer goggles. :rolleyes: You do know that the 76cs is discontinued. You should have spent the money on a csx. I have both...

WhereRWe?
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Maybe the picture was and is clear to Hiram but we don't all wear beer goggles. :rolleyes: You do know that the 76cs is discontinued. You should have spent the money on a csx. I have both...

Hiram must have gotten a deal on that 76cs, and probably plans to spend the savings on Guiness! LOL! ;) ;)

But do you have a source for those "beer goggles"? Can I get them on eBay?

:D :D

Haffy
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Try this Bruce but you'll have to wait a while, they are currently out of stock. Must be a good seller....

http://www.buycostumes.com/productdetail.aspx?productid=21318&AFC-cju&link=datafeed

dí76
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
During the classroom portion of our Drivers ed class we put beer googles on the kids and have them walk around the classroom. It's quit a hoot watching them navigate the class.:D

The state has several pairs that you can use.

Hiram357
03-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Hiram must have gotten a deal on that 76cs, and probably plans to spend the savings on Guiness! LOL! ;) ;)

But do you have a source for those "beer goggles"? Can I get them on eBay?

:D :D

Yes I did get a deal on it, $200 off at an LL Bean clearance. :D
And yes my alcohol consumption was affected by this purchase... (I couldn't buy beer for a week!) :rolleyes: :D

Hiram357
03-21-2007, 08:09 PM
During the classroom portion of our Drivers ed class we put beer googles on the kids and have them walk around the classroom. It's quit a hoot watching them navigate the class.:D

The state has several pairs that you can use.

I can come in and show em how a pro does it :rolleyes: ;) :D

firefighterjake
03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow . . . so let me get this straight . . . you've tried to drown it . . . you've tried to freeze it . . . and yet it still keeps on working. Truly amazing . . . on the otherhand, you're pretty hard on equipment, aren't you? ;) :D You really should contact Garmin with what this unit has gone through since it's a great testimonial.

Hiram357
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Wow . . . so let me get this straight . . . you've tried to drown it . . . you've tried to freeze it . . . and yet it still keeps on working. Truly amazing . . . on the otherhand, you're pretty hard on equipment, aren't you? ;) :D You really should contact Garmin with what this unit has gone through since it's a great testimonial.

Don't forget that it got plowed about 4 times... and it still found it's way back to me! I think I'm going to start a log about the life of this unit and publish it the day it dies (if that ever happens). :D

firefighterjake
03-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Don't forget that it got plowed about 4 times... and it still found it's way back to me! I think I'm going to start a log about the life of this unit and publish it the day it dies (if that ever happens). :D

The Zombie Garmin? The Vampire Garmin? It rises again and again . . . it cannot be killed . . . although maybe if you submerged it in a pail of Holy Water or tried driving an 8-penny nail through the display screen? :D

Haffy
03-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Seriously though you should write up a great testimonial about the trials and tribulations of the unit and who knows maybe they just might send you something nice. It can't do any harm to try anyway.

hollora
03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Told ya - write it up and send it in. Sure can't hurt. I have dropped mine so many times and it's still ticking.........

But - Jake and Becket have Magellans and I have to admit those aren't bad either. I think theirs have been through a lot. Do like Jake's case - it's unique.

firefighterjake
03-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Told ya - write it up and send it in. Sure can't hurt. I have dropped mine so many times and it's still ticking.........

But - Jake and Becket have Magellans and I have to admit those aren't bad either. I think theirs have been through a lot. Do like Jake's case - it's unique.

I assume you're talking about my "case" for my Explorist 210 . . . the wool sock? :D

Hiram357
03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I assume you're talking about my "case" for my Explorist 210 . . . the wool sock? :D

So that's why it's yellow!!! :rolleyes: ;) :p

firefighterjake
03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
So that's why it's yellow!!! :rolleyes: ;) :p

It's actually gray.

Hiram357
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
It's actually gray.

now you're getting a little to personal.... :rolleyes: :p

Haffy
03-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I think he said gray, not GAY......;)

brdad
03-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Hiram357
03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of his socks making things turn colors... I had a pair of wool socks once that turned orange (I think it mustve been some kinda rust or somethin from my stealtoe boots, that I finally had to get rid of because they started smelling like old popcorn with a side of dead racoon, that was my favorite pair of boots, I had them for almost 2 years...) :D

FuddsGirls
03-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Are you trying to keep everyone happy? Because of these people, I have recommended Garmin and sreared people away from Magellin.

becket
03-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Because of these people, I have recommended Garmin and sreared people away from Magellin.excuse me? :confused: :confused: :confused:

brdad
03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I think she means people have promoted Garmin so much to her that she does the same to everyone she talks to.

becket
03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I think she means people have promoted Garmin so much to her that she does the same to everyone she talks to.oh! i guess i just misinterpreted what she wrote. :rolleyes:

coolclay
04-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Wow, that is a great story, I think you should definitely send it in to them. One of the buttons died on my Rino 130 weeks after buying it, I sent it back. They repaired it, and included a free $40 hands free mic/headphone. Of course in Taiwan it probably only costs $2.50 to make if even that, but I sold it on ebay (I already had one) and got like $25 for it.

firefighterjake
04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow, that is a great story, I think you should definitely send it in to them. One of the buttons died on my Rino 130 weeks after buying it, I sent it back. They repaired it, and included a free $40 hands free mic/headphone. Of course in Taiwan it probably only costs $2.50 to make if even that, but I sold it on ebay (I already had one) and got like $25 for it.

Welcome back CC . . . haven't heard from you in some time. How's college going . . . and when are you going to get out and nab a few more of my caches?

coolclay
04-07-2007, 04:55 PM
After schools out lol, I've been wicked busy (as usual) and low on funds=gas . But I am staying for graduation this year, so I'll have a week of nothing to do except pack before graduation, so I will be out nabbing a bunch then. I am not graduating this year in case you are wondering I still have one more to go.

Hiram357
04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
After schools out lol, I've been wicked busy (as usual) and low on funds=gas . But I am staying for graduation this year, so I'll have a week of nothing to do except pack before graduation, so I will be out nabbing a bunch then. I am not graduating this year in case you are wondering I still have one more to go.

I see you've been busy with the maple trees, made front page of the paper too, hauling a bucket behind ya in the snow. :D

FuddsGirls
04-15-2007, 06:43 PM
I think she means people have promoted Garmin so much to her that she does the same to everyone she talks to.

AHHHH. I didn't mean anything by that, thank you for explaining. With all the teasing... I have a friend that just bought a Magellan and I told her she got the wrong one. Her's is for driving navigation and she loves it.