View Full Version : (OT) Tired of Your Current Browser?

WhereRWe?
12-28-2004, 09:09 AM
(Disclaimer: the writer was NOT Paid for this commercial message)

Tired of Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer? Want something better? Try the best thing since either: Mozilla FireFox. It based on Netscape, but does every thing Netscape doesn't, and gets rid of all Netscape's bad habits. I've been using it for a week and LOVE IT!

Since I've used primarily Netscape for years, what's great is that it looks almost like Netscape, and will automatically transfer all your bookmarks, email addresses, and other settings - from either Netscape or IE.

http://www.mozilla.org/

And want a BETTER mail client? Try Mozilla ThunderBird. From the same site.

http://www.mozilla.org/

:D

tat
12-28-2004, 10:32 AM
I started using Firefox earlier in this month and use it almost exclusively.

I switched because hackers seem to be targeting IE too often and too aggressively. I'm no expert, so, i have no idea how to quantitatively say it is or isn't working.

I am very happy with Firefox, but, I have had a few issues to work out. I cannot get .pdf files to open, and I haven't found a "composer" view or a window to develop javascript. So, I still use Netscape sometimes.

Also, IE is a requirement for every virus software package I've seen. I hacked out a workaround for McAfee. Do you know of any virus packages that allow Firefox?

Beach Comber
12-28-2004, 02:54 PM
What does "(OT)" mean in the thread title?

tat
12-28-2004, 04:39 PM
It is used to alert everyone that the discussion has nothing to do with the (in this case) Geocaching.

Haffy
12-28-2004, 05:11 PM
As long as I have been using a computer,approximately 8 years or so, I haven't had any trouble with IE. I always update my virus protection (I use the freebee from Grisoft AVG anti-virus and am very pleased). I also use Ad-Aware and Spybot-search and Destroy and Zone Alarm, 3 more free programs that can be downloaded from the internet. I have heard nothing but good things about Firefox though but am still partial to IE. To each his own I guess. I think most peoples problems with IE just stem from being very careless as to what they use for virus protection but like I said I have not had any problems so far(knock on wood).

WhereRWe?
12-28-2004, 06:17 PM
What does "(OT)" mean in the thread title?

Means "Off Topic". Like Tat said - the post has nothing to do with the subject of the forum. Read at your own risk! LOL!

WhereRWe?
12-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I think FireFox is best for people - like me - clinging desperately to Netscape. It's like Netscape, only BETTER. I use both Netscape and IE - and really think there's probably no advantage for abandoning IE (but then, I try and avoid IE! LOL)

Hey! Lets resurrect the thread about who has been computing the longest! I claim 1970 as my first computer experience (supervised an NCR 500 operation in Vietnam), and first went online in 1986.

Beach Comber
12-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Now I understand.

Hiker Twins
12-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Something better then Netscape? I am a diehard Netscape user and only resort to IE if I am not at home. A friend from work gave me a disk yesterday with Linux and Mozilla on it. He is trying to convince me that they are the only way to go. He pointed out to me that one of the analyzers I use at work is Linux based and it works just fine. But, boy it is hard to make a change as big as the OS and browser, although I think I will give Mozilla a try!