View Full Version : What is this?

attroll
03-24-2007, 12:49 PM
This is something I have been looking at on Google Earth and I can not figure out what it is. I is very close to my section of the Appalachian Trail that I maintain. If some of you have Google earth installed on your computer you can go to these coordinates and look at it or open the attached file.

N44 41.1065
W70 50.0775

d’76
03-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Very intersting I have no Idea. If I had to guess I would say crop circles, or a flaw in their picture

d’76
03-24-2007, 01:29 PM
For those of you that cant download google earth here is what Rick is talking about

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/googleearth.jpg

tat
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I think it is a flat area at the top of Wyman Moutain. The color is probably decieving, and shows up black because of the low resolution that Google uses in rural areas. We should investigate just to be sure, want to go?

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/500/medium/ANDOVER.jpg

attroll
03-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't know about that. I know that there are other flat spots (and not far from it) in this area that are not showing up like this one.

It looks like I will have to make a trip up this way in investigate when the snow goes away.

Sudonim
03-24-2007, 03:16 PM
If the sat shot was early spring, I'd say maybe a big vernal pool, goes away before most of the hikers get to that area, or could have been a lightning strike. It looks like there are 3-4 rocks in it???

tat
03-24-2007, 03:42 PM
You may have better luck asking on the Google Earth forums, if you can figure out where! I found this site that has a lot of interesting error types, but did not see one that explains a round spot like the one you found. http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/330340/page/0

firefighterjake
03-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Wasn't there some UFO sightings in western Maine a few weeks back . . . coincidentally enough Hiram was absent from these Boards for a while . . . alien abduction, mayhaps? ;) :D

Hiram357
03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Wasn't there some UFO sightings in western Maine a few weeks back . . . coincidentally enough Hiram was absent from these Boards for a while . . . alien abduction, mayhaps? ;) :D

I'm going to have to ask this discussion to stop right here, no further investigation is required, anyone seeking further inquiry will be taken care of properly..... :cool: :rolleyes:

Foxgloves
03-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Well that would explain EVERYTHING! :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to ask this discussion to stop right here, no further investigation is required, anyone seeking further inquiry will be taken care of properly..... :cool: :rolleyes:

LMAO....You crack me up...

WhereRWe?
03-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I think it's a Ladybug on the lens of the satellite camera.

Sheesh! You can't get rid of those little devils even if you send them into outer space! ;) ;)

Sabby
03-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I think it is the shadow of the satellite that took the picture. ;)

Hiram357
03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I think it's a Ladybug on the lens of the satellite camera.

Sheesh! You can't get rid of those little devils even if you send them into outer space! ;) ;)

Yeaup, you guessed it! That's the correct answer! no more inquiries needed about this. So for you own safety, end of discussion.... :cool: :rolleyes:

FuddsGirls
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok so I had to play today. I found your spot in the Maine ogis maps. Its not Wyman mountain and I thing Rick said once that those are old maps in the ogis websight. So can it be a vernal pool?
http://megisims.state.me.us/website/orthomap/viewer.htm
Zoom in on the o from Andover North Surplus. But I don't know what it is:(

Hiram357
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Road Trip!!!!!!!!

firefighterjake
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
After giving this picture a serious look (as opposed to just posting some smart alecky remark) I suspect this is a flaw in the photo. I'm basing this on the fact that bodies of water (even vernal pools), fire/blast damage from a lightning strike and other naturally occuring phenomenon generally don't produce nearly perfect round shapes. That said, I, of course, could be wrong and there may be some naturally occuring phenomenon that are in neat shapes.

And of course, me being me, this reminds me of the time a few years ago when I took a wildland firefighting class that culminated in a ride on one of the Maine Forest Service's Huey helicopters. I'll never forget as we rode over Unity one of the firefighters in the back looked down, keyed the mike and asked the Ranger riding with us about the name of the "nearly perfectly shaped rectangular lake" below us . . . he was a bit embarassed when the Ranger explained that it was not natural, but rather was man-made and was the Unity Lagoon . . . the place where much of the town's waste water and septic was pumped to (incidentally, don't look for me to place a cache there anytime soon.) :D

tat
10-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Anyone up for a recon adventure?

Hiram357
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Anyone up for a recon adventure?

around what time?

Kaching Karen
10-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Are you serious?

tat
10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
inquiring minds need to know!

And, it's leaf season, there's leafs there, so why not? I've never hiked that side of the road and I bet it's very pretty this time of year.

Not sure if this is a good weekend or not. Right now the weather for Errol, NH is 30% chance of rain Sat and Sun.

I have this weekend open but no others til November.

Haffy
10-10-2007, 07:46 PM
It sure looks like a small pond to me.

Hiram357
10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
inquiring minds need to know!

And, it's leaf season, there's leafs there, so why not? I've never hiked that side of the road and I bet it's very pretty this time of year.

Not sure if this is a good weekend or not. Right now the weather for Errol, NH is 30% chance of rain Sat and Sun.

I have this weekend open but no others til November.

this weekend is no good for me, i'm scouting for deer, but next weekend looks open, so just drop whatever youre doin next weekend and we'll head out.

firefighterjake
10-11-2007, 07:57 AM
this weekend is no good for me, i'm scouting for deer, but next weekend looks open, so just drop whatever youre doin next weekend and we'll head out.

HaHa . . . who are you kidding . . . "scouting deer" . . . is that Hiram speak for "opening up the deer camp"?;) :D

tat
10-11-2007, 11:15 AM

I wouldn't miss next weekend for anything. The aliens will have to wait.

Hiram357
10-11-2007, 01:34 PM
HaHa . . . who are you kidding . . . "scouting deer" . . . is that Hiram speak for "opening up the deer camp"?;) :D

Yeah, It's like spring training. :D

(my tag is all the way over for district 15, so this weekend were gunna go hiking to find the primo spots to sit. I have a buddy over that way that has a spread about 350 acres, that's a lot of walkin)

Hiram357
10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't miss next weekend for anything. The aliens will have to wait.

yeah, aren't you goin up the bunny slope this weekend?? so we can look for aliens next weekend?? (the 20th?)

tat
05-23-2008, 06:18 PM
It's spring! The aliens are still there!

Hiram357
05-26-2008, 12:43 PM
It's spring! The aliens are still there!

are you giving the invite to carpool?? :D

EvilHomer
05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Its Bigfoot!

tat
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
are you giving the invite to carpool?? :D

Sure. How many are interested in a bit of a hike in Western Maine? I think it's about a 500' climb and 7 miles round trip.

Hiram357
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Sure. How many are interested in a bit of a hike in Western Maine? I think it's about a 500' climb and 7 miles round trip.

set the time and place, is there a place to camp nearby?

Kaching Karen
05-27-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm always in for a bit of adventure. Now if I can just find the time.

tat
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
set the time and place, is there a place to camp nearby?
As a mater of fact, there is! Hall Mountain Lean-to. Google earth it. The camp is just beyond the spot making a 5 mile each way and 2,000 foot climb. (my last post should have said 500 meters or 1,700 feet, oops!)

attroll
05-28-2008, 02:22 AM
If someone wants to make a weekend trip of this and go then I am all game. Count me in. I know exactly how to get to the closest parking and where to head in on the Appalachian Trail to get the closest to this point for bushwhacking.

From the parking spot it is 4.1 miles to hike to Hall Mountain Lean-to (one way) if that is where everyone wants to camp for the night. There are other options too. There are spots near the parking area where we could set up camp. It is not an official camp site but I have done it before.

From where we would park it is about 2 miles to where we would start bushwhacking to investigate this spot. Then we could either hike back to the vehicles and camp or hike onto Hall Mountain Lean-to another two miles and spend the night and head back out the next morning.

If we set up camp near the parking then we could bring cooler and a grill and we could have a cookout when we get back from the research trip.

Is anyone interested? If so should I set a date for this?

Hiram357
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
If someone wants to make a weekend trip of this and go then I am all game. Count me in. I know exactly how to get to the closest parking and where to head in on the Appalachian Trail to get the closest to this point for bushwhacking.

From the parking spot it is 4.1 miles to hike to Hall Mountain Lean-to (one way) if that is where everyone wants to camp for the night. There are other options too. There are spots near the parking area where we could set up camp. It is not an official camp site but I have done it before.

From where we would park it is about 2 miles to where we would start bushwhacking to investigate this spot. Then we could either hike back to the vehicles and camp or hike onto Hall Mountain Lean-to another two miles and spend the night and head back out the next morning.

If we set up camp near the parking then we could bring cooler and a grill and we could have a cookout when we get back from the research trip.

Is anyone interested? If so should I set a date for this?

this weekend wouldn't work for me, what dates are good for ya?

tat
05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd camp at either spot. The weekend of 21 or 28 June are good for me.

attroll
05-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I'd camp at either spot. The weekend of 21 or 28 June are good for me.
21 June is wide open for me right now if anyone is interested.

Medawisla
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Hiram says 21st works for us. I'll put on our calendar.
...now I'll go read what I got myself into...:p

Medawisla
05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Google aerials are mostly 2003/2005 for Maine. I have access to 2007 and going as far back as 1996 at work. So I'll check this spot out next week and tell you what I see...:eek:

attroll
05-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Sounds good. Make sure it is till there before we head out. I have some connections to and I will try and check them.

attroll
05-31-2008, 03:09 AM
Stephine

This is a four mile hike in one way with backpacks. Is Arron going to carry his big dome tent and his cast iron skillets? This will be really interesting and more people might want to come just to see him do that.

Hiram357
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Stephine

This is a four mile hike in one way with backpacks. Is Arron going to carry his big dome tent and his cast iron skillets? This will be really interesting and more people might want to come just to see him do that.

You'd be amazed how much **** i can carry... :D:D:D

But on the lighter side of things, I'll probably stick with the titanium cookware set and the 2pole tent for this one, (and hopefully its not raining, my waterproof pack and gear are about 15lbs dry...) :D

attroll
05-31-2008, 10:19 PM
I just found out from Tink that the 21st is not good for me. That is the weekend for Chirs's graduation party here at the house. The reason when could not have the Slipping into Summer event in June. I can not believe I forgot that.

Medawisla
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
The spot must have been a phenomenon of the camera or digitizing of the photos, as it is visible in the 2003/5 photos, like google map uses in some areas, but it is not present in the 1996/8 or the 2007 photos.:p

d’76
06-03-2008, 07:15 PM
The spot must have been a phenomenon of the camera or digitizing of the photos, as it is visible in the 2003/5 photos, like google map uses in some areas, but it is not present in the 1996/8 or the 2007 photos.:p

Maybe it was a ufo caught just at the right time when the image was captured. This seems the more likely story.

Hiram357
06-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Maybe it was a ufo caught just at the right time when the image was captured. This seems the more likely story.

THEY'RE COMING FOR ME!!!!! PUT YOUR FOIL HATS ON QUICK!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

So I guess this means the trip is a bust... so where else we hiking to then?? How bout that cache at Gulf Hagas??? :D

d’76
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM

So I guess this means the trip is a bust... so where else we hiking to then?? How bout that cache at Gulf Hagas??? :D

Funny you say that. I was up there today with a few students and staff from the school that I work at. The gate fee is 6 bucks and the black flies and musquitos are free. What a deal. We walked over to the Heritage and spent some time at the kilns.

I'm not sure that Hiram can make the hike though.:D:p

Hiram357
06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Funny you say that. I was up there today with a few students and staff from the school that I work at. The gate fee is 6 bucks and the black flies and musquitos are free. What a deal. We walked over to the Heritage and spent some time at the kilns.

I'm not sure that Hiram can make the hike though.:D:p

yeah dave, I'm not as fit as you are, you burly rugged hunk you... ;)

d’76
06-03-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah dave, I'm not as fit as you are, you burly rugged hunk you... ;)

'This must be Steph logged on as Hiram. Either way... your right. Dad told me I need to get into shape, I told him round is a shape.

OBTW, I love it when you talk dirty to me;)

Hiram357
06-03-2008, 07:48 PM
'This must be Steph logged on as Hiram. Either way... your right. Dad told me I need to get into shape, I told him round is a shape.

OBTW, I love it when you talk dirty to me;)

sorry to burst your bubble buddy... its not stef... :eek::p:D

d’76
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
sorry to burst your bubble buddy... its not stef... :eek::p:D

Does she know that you talk to me this way. She doenst seem like the jealous type but this might be pushing it.:rolleyes:

Hiram357
06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Does she know that you talk to me this way. She doenst seem like the jealous type but this might be pushing it.:rolleyes:

don't worry, things like this have a way of working themselves out... :rolleyes::D:D:eek::p

so back on topic, how bout that crazy map thing huh??? probably aliens ya say??? I think it was probably a spec on the camera lens, stef said she had to zoom in on the map to 1/500 to even see the spec... :D:confused:

tat
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I say it's a good excuse to go hiking!

Hiram357
06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I say it's a good excuse to go hiking!

you need an excuse to go hiking? :p

firefighterjake
06-07-2008, 11:41 PM

. . . :D

What do you mean by putting them on . . . I'm always wearing mine since you never know when those aliens will try sucking your brain dry with their mindwaves . . . and you don't want to know what I do to prevent them from . . . uh . . . probing me. :eek::D;)