View Full Version : Maine Cache and Cache Hider Stats

Pages : [1] 2

brdad
04-20-2007, 07:18 AM
I've been picking away at a project which takes a database of all caches ever published in Maine and spits out an HTML file and a few graphs and maps of Maine cache statistics. It's nearly fully automated, so I should be able to easily update it every so often. It may still have a few bugs, so let me know if you think there's an error or see anything spelled incorrectly.

The page can be accessed from the articles menu on the main page or here:

Maine Geocaching Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats)

Feel free to use this thread to post your comments or suggestions.

firefighterjake
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Cool stuff . . . but I have to say that I thought I had a lot of extra time at work! ;) :D

Cache Maine
04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Webcam Cache 8/29/04 Collins Pond (GCKDF0) blevesque
Very cool stats Dave!

Collins pond is not a webcam.

Hiram357
04-20-2007, 08:07 AM
wow... way too much time... i want your job :D

Haffy
04-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Very cool stats Dave!

Yeah we found the remnants of Collins Pond cache the year before last on our first group event up Nawth. So it must be either the Houlton or Presque Isle webcam cache.

brdad
04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Very cool stats Dave!

Yep, that's one of the bugs that was on my list, but I forgot. Thanks.

I know why it's there, too.

ribnag
04-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Kudos! Nice work!

I have two suggestions, if you want them (no criticism! Just ideas, if you still have too much free time :D )

For the trend-over-time graphs (monthly cache approvals and archivals), a "color impaired" viewer (such as myself) may have trouble seeing the color corresponding to each year. Putting the labels right in the year lines would make that a bit more clear. And yes, for the record, I had to photoshop EaglEyeStash to solve it :o ).

For the cache density map, rather than squares, give each point a gaussian splatter, then normalize over the whole map and translate that to a color (like blue to red). At the scale you have it, a radius of 4 or 5 pixels per SD should give a nice effect.

But looks good... I never realized the NE corner of the state had so many caches.

tat
04-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Technically, Tidal Earthcache is a conversion from a virtual. This is a very fine point as it was the the first actual earthcache in Maine. It is not as old as it appears. There were many earthcaches before Tidal Earthcache was converted, but the placed date is reflects the day the virtual was placed, not when it was converted. I only bring this up because it is posible that some of the other data may be flawed in this manor also.

How about adding the highest and lowest caches?

brdad
04-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok, I have fixed one error no one has mentioned, and put a bandaid on the Collins Pond issue. Anyway, the info should be accurate now.

Sudonim
04-20-2007, 05:46 PM
For the cache density map, rather than squares, give each point a gaussian splatter, then normalize over the whole map and translate that to a color (like blue to red). At the scale you have it, a radius of 4 or 5 pixels per SD should give a nice effect.

This is something that I've been wanting to see (and don't have the skill to impliment) for quite a while. When I'm looking for a place to cache, if I can see 'hot spots' that I haven't done, it would make it easier to see areas I haven't visited yet.

brdad
04-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Technically, Tidal Earthcache is a conversion from a virtual. This is a very fine point as it was the the first actual earthcache in Maine. It is not as old as it appears. There were many earthcaches before Tidal Earthcache was converted, but the placed date is reflects the day the virtual was placed, not when it was converted. I only bring this up because it is posible that some of the other data may be flawed in this manor also.

How about adding the highest and lowest caches?

Yes, just like your spelling of manner is flawed. :D

But you are right, much of the information will be skewed. However, in your case, Tidal Earthcache is still Maine's first Earthcache.

There are several caches that have been converted to different types and sizes from their original.

And this goes for teh maps as well - I only used an average, which is not perfect by any means, but from my calculations only about 1 mile off, which you could never tell using the scale maps I am using. And, since multi and puzzle caches rarely use the true coordinates, so the averages are flawed anyway. But still fun to look at :D

As far as the highest and lowest... There is no elevation data in the database, but I could hand edit it in... I'm Sure Sights to Behole is the highest, but what's the lowest? Tidal Earthcache?

Sudonim
04-20-2007, 05:49 PM
BTW Dave, what program(s) or process do you use to generate the map of Maine with caches?

brdad
04-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I'll take any ideas you have!

I'll have to look at the chart generation part to see if and how that could be done. I originally had every year in series, but I liked this format better, it makes it easier to compare years.

As far as the cache density map, I am allready looking into this. Another cacher has what was originally linux based code which produces a Google
kml file which does just about what you are saying. We got it working on Windows but I need to play with it some more, as in my last attempt at making a file for the entire state it created a 25 MB file, a bit too hefty.

If you know of a way to load 2331 waypoints into Photoshop, I'll try that route. :)

Kudos! Nice work!

I have two suggestions, if you want them (no criticism! Just ideas, if you still have too much free time :D )

For the trend-over-time graphs (monthly cache approvals and archivals), a "color impaired" viewer (such as myself) may have trouble seeing the color corresponding to each year. Putting the labels right in the year lines would make that a bit more clear. And yes, for the record, I had to photoshop EaglEyeStash to solve it :o ).

But looks good... I never realized the NE corner of the state had so many caches.

brdad
04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
BTW Dave, what program(s) or process do you use to generate the map of Maine with caches?

Visual Basic creates the *.wpt file, which I load into OziExplorer (http://oziexplorer.com). Oziexplorer can take any image and create a coordinate calibrated file from it. I've used ti several times with the maps that you get at trailheads.

The Map image itself is edited from a popular series...

Haffy
04-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, just like your spelling of manner is flawed. :D

But you are right, much of the information will be skewed. However, in your case, Tidal Earthcache is still Maine's fisrst Eatchcache.

And your spelling of first Earthcache is flawed as well....;) or was that meant to be read that way? :D

Mainiac1957
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM
And your spelling of first Earthcache is flawed as well....;) or was that meant to be read that way? :D

His fingers work faster than his mind a little I thinks...:rolleyes: :p ;)

tat
04-20-2007, 08:02 PM
... teh ... ti ..

are you sure you want to count spelling? :)
:)
:)

brdad
04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
His fingers work faster than his mind a little I thinks...:rolleyes: :p ;)
Well, they don't have to be too fast to do that...

brdad
04-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Any idea what the elevation of Tidal Earthcache is? I get -15 feet.

tat
04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Any idea what the elevation of Tidal Earthcache is? I get -15 feet.

When I placed it, it was exactly -1.9 feet. It's hard to tell what the elevation is today. There is a jetty 8 miles away that is causing beach errosion at Camp Ellis (it's been on the news a lot this week!). All of that sand ends up on my cache! When the sand builds up too much, they dredge it out. So my cache is constantly being built up and torn down.

How about the newest cache?

brdad
04-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I was going by the depths on the map. Did you use your GPS?

If it's only -1.5 feet, it may not be the lowest.

I thought about adding the newest caches, but after thinking about it, I wasn't saure how much value it would have. I'm not planning on updating this on a daily basis.

I am also pondering a list of Mainers who have placed caches in Maine, sorted by their join date. I could add Non-Placers to the list by hand. But I have mixed feeling about releasing that.

When I placed it, it was exactly -1.9 feet. It's hard to tell what the elevation is today. There is a jetty 8 miles away that is causing beach errosion at Camp Ellis (it's been on the news a lot this week!). All of that sand ends up on my cache! When the sand builds up too much, they dredge it out. So my cache is constantly being built up and torn down.

How about the newest cache?

tat
04-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I was going by the depths on the map. Did you use your GPS?....

No, I used the tide tables. The lowest tides there are -1.9. The NOAA tide stations are a lot more accurate than my gps.

firefighterjake
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Probably someone already knows this or it's been discussed, but what are the top 10 most found caches in Maine (I imagine the ones that have been around the longest and in more populated or touristy areas would be the leading contenders) . . . and is there a way to find out what caches have the most DNFs (I can't help but think Old 470 would be on that list.)

Hiram357
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Probably someone already knows this or it's been discussed, but what are the top 10 most found caches in Maine (I imagine the ones that have been around the longest and in more populated or touristy areas would be the leading contenders) . . . and is there a way to find out what caches have the most DNFs (I can't help but think Old 470 would be on that list.)

and if we counted each of your visits my lombard micro would be second :D :p

brdad
04-21-2007, 06:26 AM
No, I used the tide tables. The lowest tides there are -1.9. The NOAA tide stations are a lot more accurate than my gps.

But doesn't the tide chart show how high (or in the case of -1.9 how low) above/below the water depth?

In other words, in your case, if the depth were 15 feet as I read, you subtract 1.9 from the 15, so the tide would be 1.9 feet lower than the normal low tide? The elevation would be unaffected by the tides, so the elevation of the waypoint would be -15 no matter where the tide was since elevation is referenced to sea level, not tide level. IIRC, sea level is halfway between high and low tides of the ocean.

That's the way I assumed it was, but I am not sosure now.

tat
04-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Elevation is referenced to mean sea level. Tide tables show the difference from mean sea level. So, if the tide table shows the tide height will be 0 feet, then the sea will be at the "mean" at that time. Of course, this assumes the atmospheric pressure is normal, there are no storms at sea raising the level, there is no flooding from nearby rivers, etc. NOAA maintains tide height stations. The data from these calibrated stations is used as a basis for tide charts.

On the day I placed the cache, I was standing on the ground, in fair weather, with calm seas. The cache rules say to get as close to the water as possible without getting the tops of your feet wet. So, the elevation is very nearly at the level at that time.

You can use this method to plot the profile of the beach head. Take each gps reading from all of the finders, look up the tide height and that is, by definition, the elevation for that point.

If your chart was correct, I would have been underwater (-15 - (-1.9) = -13.1 feet)

brdad
04-21-2007, 07:16 AM
So, the elevation of your waypoint is still, -15 feet, reguardless of the ocean level, correct?

On the Maine Harbors web site, they say "The tide data on our charts is relative to mean lower low water (MLLW - 0.0') which is the average of the lower (of the two) low water heights of each tidal day. The unit of measurement is feet (and 10ths of a foot)."

But either way, it still seems to me the water depth on a map is from mean sea level, so that would determine the elevation.

See what you started by asking for highest/lowest? ;-)

tat
04-21-2007, 08:24 AM
So, the elevation of your waypoint is still, -15 feet, reguardless of the ocean level, correct?

On the Maine Harbors web site, they say "The tide data on our charts is relative to mean lower low water (MLLW - 0.0') which is the average of the lower (of the two) low water heights of each tidal day. The unit of measurement is feet (and 10ths of a foot)."

But either way, it still seems to me the water depth on a map is from mean sea level, so that would determine the elevation.

See what you started by asking for highest/lowest? ;-)

Yes, it does get complicated.

How is the elevation of the map defined? If it was defined as the elevation above MLLW, then the elevation of the sand on that day was -1.9. This fact requires the map datum to be 13.1 feet below MLLW, which seems like an odd choice.

More likely, the water depth on the map is wrong. It may have been correct on the day the map data was collected! Don't forget, the elevation of the sand is constantly changing, so there is no way to keep the map up to date.

pjpreb
04-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes indeed you fellas have waaaay too much time on your hands...:D

brdad
04-21-2007, 11:40 AM
How is the elevation of the map defined? If it was defined as the elevation above MLLW, then the elevation of the sand on that day was -1.9. This fact requires the map datum to be 13.1 feet below MLLW, which seems like an odd choice.

I beleive the elevation is measure in water depth at mean sea level. Most maps are, as the topozone map (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.53122&mapit=Map+It&lon=-70.3274&size=m&s=25&datum=WGS84) shows as well. And I agree, it is bound to change as the sand moves back and forth.

I'm going to look for an actual nautical map of the area when I get a free minute and see what it says.

pjpreb
04-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm going to look for an actual nautical map of the area when I get a free minute and see what it says.

When you get a free minute - *snork* - hee hee! :D :p

brdad
04-23-2007, 02:41 PM

Old470 has well over 100 finds, and probably would have 200 DNFs if people would log them. :rolleyes:

I know Fort Williams has a ton of finds. Unfortunately there is no easy way to create a list of the top Finds or DNFs. You'd have to create a GPX file that included all logs for all 2331+ caches.

It would be nice if it could be done! If we can get together 25 of our members, we can create the database files necessary. That would be less than 100 caches each for us to keep updated. Remember, of course, in order to do this and be within gc.com TOS, the entire database file would have to be created by you, without the use of pocket queries. :) And, it'd have to be a database of our own design, not copied from GPX / groundspeak. And even then I'm not sure it'd be 100% legal.

So, it isn't looking good right now. Maybe someone will count up Ft. Williams' numbers and post them on this site, and challenge anyone to find a cache with more finds.

brdad
04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I have added the highest and lowest elevation caches, but they are still up for discussion, especially the lowest elevation. I don't think there is a cache higher than 5252 feet.

I also made a few minor adjustments, and added links to chart images for number of caches placed by type and container (Too boring for the main page, so I just linked to them). The small and micro charts really show how those increaed rapidly in 2006. :confused:

Database has been updated to 4/26.

hide_from_the_kids
04-26-2007, 07:34 PM
NIce to see!

brdad
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Location in Maine in which you are the furthest from any Maine cache as possible: At about N 46° 50.8 W -069° 50.7 (Map 60 of the Gazateer, on the Maine border not far from Depot lake). At this location, Maine's nearest cache is about 38 miles away.

brdad
05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Today I added a map of the Delorme grid showing total number of caches published and total available in each grid. Database has been updated to 5/1/07.

brdad
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Page has been updated to 5/30/07, 2000+ available caches!

hollora
05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Some times my techno doesn't mojo - link please..............

brdad
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Some times my techno doesn't mojo - link please..............

Sorry. You can always find the stats link on the left side of the main screen, under articles, or my first post in this thread.

Or, just say you can't find it and I will post it. :)

Maine Geocaching Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats)

Sudonim
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Man, that's a lot of numbers brdad. If I hear of a job opening at the US census dept. I'll let you know :)

pjpreb
05-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Man, that's a lot of numbers brdad. If I hear of a job opening at the US census dept. I'll let you know :)

Job?? Brdad gets a job???:p :p

hollora
05-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Sorry. You can always find the stats link on the left side of the main screen, under articles, or my first post in this thread.

Or, just say you can't find it and I will post it. :)

Super - Thank U!

brdad
06-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Ha. Maybe the next census that comes out I'll claim my ethnicity as "Geocacher"!

Stats page has been updated again (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats).

brdad
07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
I updated the stats again this morning. Over 100 caches placed this month. Not sure as that's a good thing or not!

WhereRWe?
07-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I updated the stats again this morning. Over 100 caches placed this month. Not sure as that's a good thing or not!

Great job, Dave! :D :D :D

*TnT*
09-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm curious as to where you got the data for your database, in particular the archived caches?

brdad
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm curious as to where you got the data for your database, in particular the archived caches?

I had some inside help, but much of the original data requires looking through all the known caches and cache hiders. The current information is pretty much from obtaining many PQs and keeping an eye on every cache published. I'd like to see GC.com come up with a way for me to retrieve the information more easily!

*TnT*
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Since you can't pick up archived caches in any sort of PQ, I figured it had to be with help from some long-time cachers MyFinds PQs.

Thanks,
Michael

brdad
09-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Since you can't pick up archived caches in any sort of PQ, I figured it had to be with help from some long-time cachers MyFinds PQs.

Thanks,
Michael

Actually, I have not used anyone else's PQ's but my own, using someone else's MyFinds PQ's would be against Geocaching.com's terms of use. There are other ways to get the data. It would be much easier if archived caches were allowed in PQs.

brdad
09-28-2007, 06:33 AM
After a slight delay I have updated the stats once again. I've recently moved ahead in the world and have one of them newfangled ultra modern computers with Win XP on it. It's taken a while to get the programs I use to make the stats work on this machine but I think I got it.

brdad
11-26-2007, 07:47 AM
I updated the stats last night. We've gone past 3000 approved caches, but the archivals have been high the past few months too.

brdad
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Updated the stats again since we're not well enough for the event today.

We've passed 700 archived, I bet a lot of us can remember when there weren't that many caches in the state!

Maine Cache Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats)

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Updated the stats again since we're not well enough for the event today.

We've passed 700 archived, I bet a lot of us can remember when there weren't that many caches in the state!

These are really cool. Thanks again for keeping it updated!!! :D:cool:

brdad
05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I have updated the stats as of 5/4/2008. You may notice the stats still do not include the Whereigo caches. I'm working on a new script to generate stats that hopefully won't take half an hour to calculate. So, the Whereigos may have to wait until then.

Maine now has a new southernmost cache, and it's still waiting for FTF!
Captain McGregore's Island (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=db398a61-2fec-441c-a6fc-60a0d0eb66b6) (GCZ3GT) by Atsah (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=412249) (2/5)

Thanks to Tat for pointing that out to me. ;)

About 72% of the caches placed in April (117 caches out of 162 total) are small or micro. Is there no where left to hide larger caches? ;)

View the stats here: Maine Cache Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats)

firefighterjake
05-08-2008, 02:01 PM
. . . .
About 72% of the caches placed in April (117 caches out of 162 total) are small or micro. Is there no where left to hide larger caches? ;)

View the stats here: Maine Cache Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats)

Rumor has it that there are quite a few regular sized caches in the Canaan/Skowhegan Area . . . at least I know one certain cacher here is trying her darndest to convince folks to come on up and grab some of them! ;):D

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Is there no where left to hide larger caches? ;)

I really think you should lead the charge.. Like how about you putting out some new ones. Hmmmmm!!!;):cool::p:eek::D

brdad
05-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I really think you should lead the charge.. Like how about you putting out some new ones. Hmmmmm!!!;):cool::p:eek::D

I led the charge before you even started caching, sport! :D

I have been working on one for what, 2 years now? It probably is about time...

If I hide it, how many will follow and hide one similar? Maybe a series ... BCTTYS Big Caches That take You Somewhere

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I love caches that take you some place. To hide as well as find. Such as my A View of the Lake (//http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=183879a8-76ee-425e-aa05-382f81c53657). :cool:

brdad
05-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I love caches that take you some place. To hide as well as find. Such as my A View of the Lake (//http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=183879a8-76ee-425e-aa05-382f81c53657). :cool:

You do have some great caches. Your linky, however, needs some work. :)

A View of the Lake (A Rescue Rangers Cache) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=183879a8-76ee-425e-aa05-382f81c53657) (GC149W5) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1.5/4)

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 07:24 PM
You do have some great caches. Your linky, however, needs some work. :)

A View of the Lake (A Rescue Rangers Cache) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=183879a8-76ee-425e-aa05-382f81c53657) (GC149W5) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1.5/4)

I always liked how you do those. What's your secret?;)

brdad
05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I always liked how you do those. What's your secret?;)

Oddly enough, I used to do it with Watcher - one of it's cool features. Once I realized GSAK couldn't do it, I created a macro so it would!

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6485&hl=

If you want to try it and need help installing or assigning a toolbar button to it, let me know.

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Come to my CitoThe 4th Annual Penobscot River Clean-up (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5ede4aa2-5be8-4d3f-99d1-deb0c57faa37) (GC1A0GD) by Maine Geocachers (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1.5/1.5)

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Dave. Now I can be one of the cool kids too.:D:cool:

brdad
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks Dave. Now I can be one of the cool kids too.:D:cool:

You got it! And no mistyped linky!

Your post makes me think, however - for event caches, it might be neat to include the type of event and the date.... :rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you have more code to write.:rolleyes: I certainly haven't any clue.:confused:

brdad
07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks to a new and improved SQLite capability in GSAK macros, I am working on creating the stats page almost entirely from GSAK instead of Excel. It takes over 20 minutes to do the calculations in Excel, I am guessing it will take GSAK about 3 or 4 minutes when I am finished.

So the stats have been updated today using what I have programmed through GSAK so far. One of the features of the next version of GSAK is county data, which you can obtain using the beta version. So I have added some county data to the stats.

Maine cache Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats)

Haffy
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks again Dad for all your hard work and GSAK certainly does make things a lot easier now doesn't it? I remember the day not too long ago when you stated that GSAK was just not your cup of tea.......:confused:;):D Things do change don't they? :D

brdad
07-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks again Dad for all your hard work and GSAK certainly does make things a lot easier now doesn't it? I remember the day not too long ago when you stated that GSAK was just not your cup of tea.......:confused:;):D Things do change don't they? :D

Technology changes quickly. Probably by the time I get this the way I want, I'll be able to just download the data to my wristwatch!

brdad
07-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Downloaded Milestone Hides section as per Tat's suggestion.
Also added "placed by..." for the first caches in the county stats, also per Tat's suggestion.

Also added Number of "Caches Placed by Day of Week" and "Caches Placed by Month" and "Caches Placed by Year"

Haffy
07-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I've been picking away at a project which takes a database of all caches ever published in Maine and spits out an HTML file and a few graphs and maps of Maine cache statistics. It's nearly fully automated, so I should be able to easily update it every so often. It may still have a few bugs, so let me know if you think there's an error or see anything spelled incorrectly.

The page can be accessed from the articles menu on the main page or here:

Feel free to use this thread to post your comments or suggestions.

Hey Dad is there a way that I can incorporate this into a South Carolina macro? I'm sure there is but where does one start? Thanks Haffy

Oh and by the way I have a new email address too. It's For some unknown reason I have lost and can't get back my former email address from Yahoo. This is for everyone else's information as well in here too.

brdad
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey Dad is there a way that I can incorporate this into a South Carolina macro? I'm sure there is but where does one start? Thanks Haffy

Oh and by the way I have a new email address too. It's hjfhfhjgfhj@ytuitioyoiy.com For some unknown reason I have lost and can't get back my former email address from Yahoo. This is for everyone else's information as well in here too.

It could be with a little editing. The problem is that for much of the information to be accurate, you need to have every cache ever published in the area. While that's easy for existing caches, getting together and maintaining the archived caches is not easy, and they have to be updated on a regular basis.

PS: It's not a good idea to post your email on a web page; you should post an altered version of it like haffy AT ymail DOT com if you do.

brdad
07-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Added Most caches hidden in one day & Month

brdad
08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Good or bad, Maine has crossed another milestone. 3000 Available caches!

I have added some Delorme map grids stats.

Also added number of caches placed by the top hiders in the county and Delorme grids. This isn't perfect yet, but works fine if there isn't a 'tie'.

Sudonim
08-04-2008, 10:04 AM
This is a really fun log of records to look through from time to time. Thanks for your work putting it out and keeping it current!

Mainiac1957
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
You keep a bevy of geeks and accountants chained up in the basement to do all the stats for you.:rolleyes::cool:;)

brdad
08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
You keep a bevy of geeks and accountants chained up in the basement to do all the stats for you.:rolleyes::cool:;)

That would be the easy way out. That's just not my style! I'd rather write 1752 lines of code, 8005 words so far...

But it's much easier now than doing it with Excel!

brdad
08-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Updated the stats again - this new process is much easier!

Added Maine's percentage of caches worldwide. Anything else you might like to see?

Haffy
08-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah how bout doing the same thing for SC......:D Just kidding, but it sure would be nice to have something like this for this state as well. I just don't have the resources to attempt anything like that.

brdad
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah how bout doing the same thing for SC......:D Just kidding, but it sure would be nice to have something like this for this state as well. I just don't have the resources to attempt anything like that.

I was thinking about this... It would be possible to create a version that just did stats for available caches. Instead of first cache, you'd have oldest available cache, and there would be no stats on archived caches. Whether I want to do the editing for that, I don't know... Certainly not this week.

Medawisla
08-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Updated the stats again - this new process is much easier!

Added Maine's percentage of caches worldwide. Anything else you might like to see?

Cool beans! http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats

brdad
08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Stats have been updated. We should cross the 4000 cache mark this week. Tomorrow according to my predictions on the stats page. ;)

Thanks to Gob-ler for pointing out an error last week in my script which didn't calculate values for York County.

brdad
09-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Nothing new except for the data :)

Haffy
09-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I just wanted to thank you Dave for getting together and sharing what you know with "Tigerz" so we can have our SC stats somewhat the same.

brdad
09-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I just wanted to thank you Dave for getting together and sharing what you know with "Tigerz" so we can have our SC stats somewhat the same.
Your Welcome. Looks like it might be a good partnership with ideas coming from both sides!

It's kind of interesting to compare, too, since both states have about the same numbers.

brdad
09-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Stats have been updated.

In August, we broke the record for most caches in a month. If you want to know how many, look it up! :D

brdad
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Stats have been updated.

I missed last week's update, was busy doing something, I forget what it was....

WhereRWe?
10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Stats have been updated.

I missed last week's update, was busy doing something, I forget what it was....

You're lucky that Lee doesn't read the forums very often! LOL!

I do the cooking in our household so I never have to worry about going without supper. (You can tell, 'eh? LOL!)

hide_from_the_kids
10-02-2008, 07:11 AM
even though it is not said enough thank you for your work on this. it is amazing to see the stats.

brdad
10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks, hide_from_the_kids!

Stats have once again been updated. We have crossed the 900 mark for archived caches. That's a big number for any of us that joined in the first few years when there wasn't anywhere near 900 caches hidden in Maine!

Cache Maine
10-08-2008, 04:04 PM
When I first started, I remember thinking I wanted to log all the caches in Maine....so much for that theory. I can't even keep up with the ones in my own town!

Thanks for the stats brdad, very interesting.

Sudonim
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
When I first started, I remember thinking I wanted to log all the caches in Maine....so much for that theory. I can't even keep up with the ones in my own town!

Thanks for the stats brdad, very interesting.

I have less than 100 caches to go to get all the caches in Maine...that were there when I started caching at the end of 2003:p.
Got all the '01, chipping away at the '02-'03 now.

hollora
10-08-2008, 04:21 PM
I have less than 100 caches to go to get all the caches in Maine...that were there when I started caching at the end of 2003:p.
Got all the '01, chipping away at the '02-'03 now.

That is very cool. Keep on caching!

brdad
10-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Stats have been updated.

Ekidokai
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Holy crap! We have over 5% of the worlds caches here. That's unbelievable.

Sudonim
10-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Holy crap! We have over 5% of the worlds caches here. That's unbelievable.

Your right...it is unbelievable:p
More like 0.5% or one half of one percent.
Pesky decimal point...:D

fins2right
10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Your right...it is unbelievable:p
More like 0.5% or one half of one percent.
Pesky decimal point...:D
Darn, I got all excited thinking about how dedicated we Mainers are to Geocaching!! :D I can't imagine only having 100 left to go in the state from 01-03!. We set our goal at 225 for the year and we only have 5 left to go. 3 if we attend the two events in November in Bangor. Here I was feeling good about myself, now..... complete Dispair (or is that jealousy:confused::confused::confused:):D:p

Ekidokai
10-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, sorry about that.

Sudonim
10-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Darn, I got all excited thinking about how dedicated we Mainers are to Geocaching!! :D I can't imagine only having 100 left to go in the state from 01-03!. We set our goal at 225 for the year and we only have 5 left to go. 3 if we attend the two events in November in Bangor. Here I was feeling good about myself, now..... complete Dispair (or is that jealousy:confused::confused::confused:):D:p

Look at it this way, instead of having to find over 34,000 in Maine, you only have to find 3,407. (and counting)
Much easier isn't it?

fins2right
10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Look at it this way, instead of having to find over 34,000 in Maine, you only have to find 3,407. (and counting)
Much easier isn't it?
Only 3,207 Left!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

brdad
11-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Stats have been updated.

pjpreb
11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Brdad - you need something to do!:);)

Haffy
11-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Hey leave the guy alone he is doing just fine. :D

brdad
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM

I can do the stats faster than you can clean the crap off your shoes after taking your pup for a walk. And the stats don't smell, either. :p

pjpreb
11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I can do the stats faster than you can clean the crap off your shoes after taking your pup for a walk. And the stats don't smell, either. :p

So you heard we were in the BCF this weekend? No shortage of crap along those trails!

hollora
11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
So you heard we were in the BCF this weekend? No shortage of crap along those trails!

Amen to BCF and the do do on the trails!:mad: Not only there, but all of the City trails. That and dogs off leash which are not nice dogs.

For a City with a scooper law, it is poorly enforced.....or something. No need either, as they have put out those expensive containers with bags and everything.:cool:

And people wonder why folks are not "dog friendly".:confused:

On the other side of the coin - Geodogs usually have owners who are picker uppers!;)

pjpreb
11-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Nobody will ever step in one of Chip's chips.:p;)

brdad
12-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Stats have been updated.

Sorry for the delay, things have been busy lately.

Won't be long before Maine has it's 100th event - 9 more to go, hard to imagine!

brdad
01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Stats have been updated!

We have crossed the 1000 caches archived threshold!

brdad
02-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Stats have been updated!

pm28570
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
brdad, the Maine Geocaching Stats have been so helpful for me to plan the DeLorme Challenge, thank you.

Regarding , Magalloway River Crossing (GC1E530)-(1.5/1.5) by UPSALQUITCH is listed as map 66. Is this not on map 27?

brdad
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
brdad, the Maine Geocaching Stats have been so helpful for me to plan the DeLorme Challenge, thank you.

Regarding , Magalloway River Crossing (GC1E530)-(1.5/1.5) by UPSALQUITCH is listed as map 66. Is this not on map 27?

Wow, that is quite a discrepancy, and a good catch. There must be a bug in my code I will have to look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

pm28570
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow, that is quite a discrepancy, and a good catch. There must be a bug in my code I will have to look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

Only caught it because I've done the cache and happened to be bookmarking for the DeLorme Challenge. This tool you've provided makes planning so much easier. I sure appreciate it.

brdad
02-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Bug has been fixed and stats have been updated but the data is still from Feb 16th.

-71.283333 is less than -71 By the way. ;)

pjpreb
02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Bug has been fixed and stats have been updated but the data is still from Feb 16th.

-71.283333 is less than -71 By the way. ;)

Ya got yourself a keeper there Msteelee!! :D:p

Thanks for your efforts in the stats keeping brdad!

brdad
03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Stats have been updated.

They will probably not be updated again until near the end of the month as I will be absent.

Sudonim
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Stats have been updated.

They will probably not be updated again until near the end of the month as I will be absent.

As long as you bring a note from your mom :p

brdad
04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
We are nearing 5000 caches published and nearly 4000 available!

WhereRWe?
04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
We are nearing 5000 caches published and nearly 4000 available!

Sheesh! An awesome set of statistics. Any way you can tell who has found the most Maine caches? Somehow I think it might not be Gob-Ler... :D:D

brdad
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Sheesh! An awesome set of statistics. Any way you can tell who has found the most Maine caches? Somehow I think it might not be Gob-Ler... :D:D

No, unfortunately that would require downloading all logs of all caches. Which I have a macro capable of, but it would take a week to download and would be against gc.com's terms of use. :(

I would gamble Gob-ler is high on that list, if not at the top. For reference, Gob-lers stats page claims he has 2390 Maine finds - I would guess he has more than that now. I have 1138 Maine finds. Perhaps if you started a thread people could post their number of Maine finds...

Mainiac1957
04-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Yes that would be a interesting stat. I'm currently at 1853 Maine finds.

Gob-ler
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
AS of right now I have 2431 Found Maine caches. Most of those have been done since July of 2005.

My money is on parmachenee!

Gob-ler
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh yes, I would have one more but for a DNF on a cache yesterday!

brdad
04-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Stats have been updated, despite a glitch with the PQ files!

brdad
04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Stats have been updated. 90 caches away from 5000 published caches!

addisonbr
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm active in the New York geocaching community, and just for kicks I've started working on a bookmark list of the caches with the most finds in each state. (I'm restricting myself to caches with a physical container - no virtuals, locationless, etc., although I may include a couple of extremely prolific examples for comparison purposes - I already have What in the World Cache? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=788865f5-5d08-465d-8b62-4eca70ad99ec), just because the totals are so ridiculous.) I've been doing much of the research by hand, but I thought that if anyone would know where my research efforts have failed it would be active local cachers in different communities.

So I'm here because I'm not entirely sure that I've got the right cache for Maine... the best I've been able to come up with is The Fort Williams Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=deced6dc-e2a2-4c54-beec-e002a350f42c) with 772 finds. I was wandering these forums and saw this thread and figured, if there's anyone worth asking, it's probably the folks here! I know that the combination of groundspeak and GSAK doesn't make it easy to store information about total finds, but even anecdotally, does anyone know if I can do better?

Thanks very much,
addisonbr
New York Metro Geocaching Society (http://metrogc.org/forum/)

brdad
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Part of the reason the What in the World cache has such large numbers is in it's early years, the owner allowed "armchair" logging, meaning you didn't have to actually visit the site to log the cache. You only had to explain to him what was at the location. Another reason is it is a very popular site, easy to get to, and a site which is attractive to many cachers.

That being said, I think the Fort Williams cache gets a lot of hits for a physical cache. I looked at a few other caches I thought were popular, but they don't have as many finds as Fort Williams. Perhaps one of our more southern cachers can think of a cache that gets hit more often?

Gob-ler
05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
The Fort Williams cache would I think need to be somewhere near the top as it relates to its hits because of its age. The average is about 100 hits per year (app 8 years old).

There are other caches in the state that are averaging more, but the question is can they produce the total number of hits to get to the top with much less time.

Statistics is usually an interesting subject except when I have to get my work stats done.

Thanks for running the numbers!

TeamHorwich
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
my Freeport Skating Pond (GC185XF) has over 200 in less than 2 years - probably my busiest cache...not sure that it will maintain that pace...one of the caches I adopted (We Don't Need No Education-GC2A46) is one of the oldest and has over 300..

addisonbr
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I'll go ahead and include Fort Williams with confidence for now.

One thing I've noticed is that certain historic caches sometimes cross a threshold of consistent traffic... Newer caches sometimes slow down as the "area" cachers all eventually log it, but some of the "oldest in the state" type caches get a more consistent stream of geo-tourists who like to collect stuff like that.

You guys should be very happy/proud that a notable cache tops your list. I'm a little sad when I turn up states for whom the most visited cache is placed at an interstate rest stop.

hide_from_the_kids
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Is There A Way To Give Stats On How Many Caches Done In One Day By All Maine Geocachers?

brdad
05-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Is There A Way To Give Stats On How Many Caches Done In One Day By All Maine Geocachers?

Since I only get the stats every week, I think I could figure out how many caches were logged, as well as how many logs were written in a week. I'll have to add that to my list of possible additions. There is no way I could tell if the logs were made by Maine geocachers, however.

I can tell you, 1565 different caches were logged last week.

hide_from_the_kids
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Is That Just Maine Caches?

brdad
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, 1565 different Maine caches. It includes all logged caches, So "Will Attend" counts as does DNFs and Published - any logs.
In other words, a little less than half of Maine's active caches got at least one log of some kind last week.

At the bottom of the home page of gc.com they give similar statistics. Today it states "There are 794,644 active caches worldwide. In the last 7 days, there have been 736,400 new logs written by 90,280 account holders."

brdad
05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Here is a map showing the growth of caches by year. I think I can sleep now. ;)

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/allcachesanimation.gif

brdad
05-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Stats have been updated!

Only 3 caches away from 5000 published caches! I would imagine that milestone will come before today is over.

We are inching closer to 4000 available caches, 79 to go! I'd gamble that would happen within a few weeks, but it may take longer depending on how many caches Gob-ler archives versus how many get adopted.

pjpreb
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
What a cool map with the caches -by-year! Thanks for that brdad!

pm28570
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I've said it in the past....and I think it bears repeating. Thanks for all the stats, maps, links and overall assistance that you give. It's greatly appreciated.

WhereRWe?
05-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I've said it in the past....and I think it bears repeating. Thanks for all the stats, maps, links and overall assistance that you give. It's greatly appreciated.

I fully agree!

I know Brdad quite well, and am always surprised that he doesn't wear thick, black rimmed glasses and have a plastic pocket protector in his shirt pocket.

;);)

dubord207
05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I heard Haffy say once that there's a lot more caches to grab now then before he left for warmer climes and those maps bear the truth. That's a really cool map! I just sent 6 new ones to Tom for review so maybe we'll hit 5000 tonight. Amazing how this game has evolved!

brdad
05-12-2009, 06:49 AM
I fully agree!

I know Brdad quite well, and am always surprised that he doesn't wear thick, black rimmed glasses and have a plastic pocket protector in his shirt pocket.

;);)

Lee does dress me well! And thanks for that calculator watch and for helping me with my hairpiece!

Thanks again to all for the kind words.

addisonbr
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
just for kicks I've started working on a bookmark list of the caches with the most finds in each state[/URL]
Here's the first draft... Subject to amendment of course.

[url=http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=e7a3ca22-abc9-48fe-adaa-c1605c1d9b5b]Most Found Caches by State and Country (http://metrogc.org/forum/)

There's also a link in the bookmark to some oddball stats (http://www.planetrogers.com/geocaching/50states.htm) you may or may not find interesting...

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Cheers,
addisonbr

brdad
05-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Busy week - we have crossed 800,000 available caches worldwide and 5000 published Maine caches. And, we will be crossing 4000 available Maine caches in the near future!

WhereRWe?
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Busy week - we have crossed 800,000 available caches worldwide and 5000 published Maine caches. And, we will be crossing 4000 available Maine caches in the near future!

Sheesh! So many lightposts, so little time... :D:D

brdad
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Sheesh! So many lightposts, so little time... :D:D

Okay, we can't have any bashing of micros here, it's just not right and it's unjustified. After all, of the 35 new caches placed last week, ONE was a regular size. :confused:

Haffy
05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Okay, we can't have any bashing of micros here, it's just not right and it's unjustified. After all, of the 35 new caches placed last week, ONE was a regular size. :confused:

What a shame!!! I'ts not like the good Ole days is it Dave? And I'm not bashing micros at all it's just that it seems people are just not putting the effort into hiding caches like they used to anymore. :(

Trick or Treat
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM

I'm not hatin' on the micros, but it is disheartening. It's getting harder and harder to get rid of the TBs and coins I'm always carrying around.

WhereRWe?
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not hatin' on the micros, but it is disheartening. It's getting harder and harder to get rid of the TBs and coins I'm always carrying around.

I do have to admit... There aren't that many nice, scenic locations left to place an ammo can anymore! LOL! (But RuLost2? and I know of a couple...)

We'll put out a few in the next couple of weeks.

And here's an idea: maybe some of the newer cachers that are looking for a good place to place a cache could check the archived Maine caches to see if the location could be "reused". Ca't think of any off the top of my head, but I know there must be some nice locations where the cache has been archived for some reason.

brdad
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I do have to admit... There aren't that many nice, scenic locations left to place an ammo can anymore! LOL! (But RuLost2? and I know of a couple...)

There are many many places left that are suitable for ammo boxes - perhaps not all are in sight of Mt. Katahdin or Maine's coast but they are very worthy locations - If anyone is having a hard time to find a place suitable, I will be glad to look up on my maps and the list of archived caches to help them place a full size cache. I can think of several places off the top of my head in the Bangor area as well.

All it takes is a little research, forethought, and imagination to place a cache that will create memories for a large percentage of the finders.

Maine has 5000+ lakes and ponds, 2,589 mountain peaks and summits, 3000+ miles of coastline, 4,613 coastal islands - you can't convince me all the good spots are gone! :p:p:p

WhereRWe?
05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
There are many many places left that are suitable for ammo boxes - perhaps not all are in sight of Mt. Katahdin or Maine's coast but they are very worthy locations - If anyone is having a hard time to find a place suitable, I will be glad to look up on my maps and the list of archived caches to help them place a full size cache. I can think of several places off the top of my head in the Bangor area as well.

Sheesh! Cool as a moose! I just hope that someone interested in placing a NICE cache will ask for a suggested location.

Sheesh! How about a "Campaign for Traditional Caches"? :D:D

brdad
05-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Dubord has enlightened me to a slight error in my code regarding the milestone hide calculations - I will try and have those fixed by the next run!

Trick or Treat
05-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Maine has 5000+ lakes and ponds, 2,589 mountain peaks and summits, 3000+ miles of coastline, 4,613 coastal islands - you can't convince me all the good spots are gone! :p:p:p

You are amazing with the numbers!

brdad
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
You are amazing with the numbers!

You could have made those up as easily as I did! :D
Ok, I didn't make them up - Google is your friend. I found it on the internet, it has to be true!

brdad
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I found my error with the milestone hides and corrected that.

I also added a "Data Collected" date at the top of the page since most of the time I run the stats the data is already a day or two old.

I have re-posted the new results using the older data.

hide_from_the_kids
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Great work again brdad. Keep it up and the other help you have given is well appreciated

brdad
06-01-2009, 09:37 PM
This weeks updates were aimed at giving ideas for new caches:

A Difficulty/Terrain chart shows that perhaps it's time to stop hiding 1.5/1.5 caches! There are nearly twice as many 1.5/1.5 caches as there are ANY other D/T combo. Perhaps someone can find a place to hide the lonely 5/2.5?

The Maine's Alphanumeric Challenge alphanumerics with 5 or less available caches section has been added as promised.

A section for Maine's available caches above 2500 feet elevation. Tat hooked me up with this some time ago and I have just gotten around to integrating it. Sorry, the data is not reliable enough to do the lowest elevation caches.

A section for Maine's available caches within 100 feet of the 45th parallel has been added.

And lastly, a section for Maine's Confluence caches has been added. There's still a few for the taking if it's in an area safe to do so!

pm28570
06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Just took a look, thanks for this. Didn't sense check all of it but for the AlphaNumeric under 7 there is:
Lexmano (707/KC-135)-(GC1RW1G/1.0) by 1.5
PM28570 (7 Million Mosquitoes)-(GC1RXA0/1.5) by 1.5

707/KC-135 should be by PM28570 and 7 Million Mosquitoes is by Laughiing Terry.

At any rate, the data you supply in the format you do is invaluable in my opinion. Thanks again.

brdad
06-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the catch - stoopid commas :) - I knew I should have waited to upload until this morning!

Should be better now.

pm28570
06-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Code doesn't like comma's? :D Hey....thanks for the others as well, pretty neat.

Thanks for the catch - stoopid commas :) - I knew I should have waited to upload until this morning!

Should be better now.

brdad
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Stats have been updated!

Sabby suggested a section listing caches which have been disabled over 6 months. I adjusted it to 90 days. It is not 100% accurate, but the results should be a minimum, the actual number of days could be up to seven days more depending on the data that comes in my PQs.

brdad
06-14-2009, 03:58 PM
OK, just kidding - they didn't break. But he has changed the data quite a bit.

Maine now has .51% of the world's caches
Ekidokai has placed the most caches in a day, and now claims most hides in 3 counties as well as 3 Delorme Grids.

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 04:17 PM
OK, just kidding - they didn't break. But he has changed the data quite a bit.

Maine now has .51% of the world's caches
Ekidokai has placed the most caches in a day, and now claims most hides in 3 counties as well as 3 Delorme Grids.

OK, now just out of curiosity. If someone wanted to know. How many do we need to get to 1%? Just curious, I promise.

brdad
06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
OK, now just out of curiosity. If someone wanted to know. How many do we need to get to 1%? Just curious, I promise.

A total of 8250 caches would do it, 4078 more than we have now. And that's assuming everyone else in the world stops hiding caches. Good Luck!

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Hmmmmmm.

Anyone know where I can get a few film canisters?

brdad
06-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Use the little zip lock bags, film canisters are for amateurs! Take a run down I-95, throw them out the car window every 528 feet and take a waypoint. You will be done in about 6 hours and will have traveled 400+ miles! :D

Mainiac1957
06-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't encourage the boy....he'll take it as a personal challenge. Like me at an All you Can Eat Buffet. Not Pretty!!:eek:

WhereRWe?
06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Use the little zip lock bags, film canisters are for amateurs! Take a run down I-95, throw them out the car window every 528 feet and take a waypoint. You will be done in about 6 hours and will have traveled 400+ miles! :D

Sheesh! Cynical! VERY Cynical! LOL! (But I like it...) ;);)

brdad
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
A slightly quieter week!
I am however, amazed at how many caches have been disabled and extended period of time.

There is a new cache, Maine's Highest Peak or Not? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd60e409-19bb-4a30-997e-ac347ff305f6) (GC1TR00) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (4.5/4.5), and according to my elevation data it falls just 19 feet short of the highest cache in Maine! The elevation data is far from perfect, I wonder which cache really is the highest?

tat
06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
According to the earthcache write up, GC93F0 is higher.

"At 5267 feet Baxter Peak is the highest point of land in the State of Maine."

brdad
06-23-2009, 07:24 PM
According to the earthcache write up, GC93F0 is higher.

"At 5267 feet Baxter Peak is the highest point of land in the State of Maine."

Yes, but it's possible one or the other cache's posted coords is not at highest point of the peak. Probably more likely in the case of the Sights to Bewhole (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d178dfa2-94de-4fb8-8e32-379da2676da4) (GC93F0) by Rslyfox (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=74364) (5/5) cache.

tat
06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Sights to Bewhole (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d178dfa2-94de-4fb8-8e32-379da2676da4) GZ is 10.4 feet from the peak, Maine's Highest Peak or Not? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd60e409-19bb-4a30-997e-ac347ff305f6) is even further off.

brdad
07-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Stats have been updated!

CarlGurt
07-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Is it possible to rank caches in Maine by popularity? Which have been visited the most?

CarlGurt - Carl Gurtman of The Two Reprobates

Waterski
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM
I found a cache that no longer shows up ...does an archived cache disappear after a certain time period from the records? I was thinking of replacing a cache in that area but am not sure what the status is, and can't remember the name of the cache. When I type in the town it no longer shows up.. Would like to place one in that area...

Ekidokai
07-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Is it possible to rank caches in Maine by popularity? Which have been visited the most?

To me it seems there are more than one answer. The caches with the most finds may just be in good areas or older ones.

The most popular for me are the ones that are really different. My favorite is the first one I did. Remember When...The Bangor Twin Drive-In (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5292cd4f-5dbf-490f-bda7-8c33fb4ed7ea)

brdad
07-07-2009, 05:42 AM

I have to agree with Ekidokai - Many caches are popular only because of their ease of access or the fact they've been around a long time.

But if you're talking sheer numbers alone - I can't do that easily, and it would involve continually mining the data from the gc.com site, which is against their rules. I have considered just doing what we suspect to be the 10 most visited caches, and do some simple stats on those.

We have talked about this some in the:
Cache with most Maine Finds/DNFs (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2393) thread.

We discussed it recently in this thread as well, go back a few pages to post #125 for that.

Mainiac1957
07-07-2009, 05:47 AM
To me it seems there are more than one answer. The caches with the most finds may just be in good areas or older ones.

The most popular for me are the ones that are really different. My favorite is the first one I did. Remember When...The Bangor Twin Drive-In (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5292cd4f-5dbf-490f-bda7-8c33fb4ed7ea)

And interestingly enough Mike, that is my most visited cache.

brdad
07-07-2009, 05:49 AM
I found a cache that no longer shows up ...does an archived cache disappear after a certain time period from the records? I was thinking of replacing a cache in that area but am not sure what the status is, and can't remember the name of the cache. When I type in the town it no longer shows up.. Would like to place one in that area...

Archived caches will not show up in a PQ, nor will they show up in a standard search on gc.com. If you search another ccher's finds and they have previously found it, it will show up there - Or if you have found it it will be on your list as well.

The other option is, since I have a list of all or nearly all archived caches, if you can PM me a location or catch me in chat (sorry you missed everyone last night), Iwould be glad to send you a list of archived caches in that area. If you're talking the Rockland area, I know of one cache I liked there that has been archived. Parking wasn't easy, but it has a neat hiding spot.

brdad
07-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Stats have been updated.

1.5/1.5 is now the predominant D/T rating with more than double the number of caches than any other rating.
How about hiding some of those other ratings, there are eighty other categories, 52 of which have less than 25 caches that match their respective D/T rating! ;)

dubord207
07-08-2009, 06:17 AM
I like to mix up the type of caches I go for to keep life interesting. Mapachi has 5 new ones in the Bond Brook Rec. area behind the airport in Augusta. I think there's now a dozen or so and the 5 new ones will involve at least 3 miles of hiking and some challenging hides. And for those who like testing the limits of your 4 WD vehicles, the Yorktown series beckons!

Davidson 7
07-08-2009, 07:03 AM
ohhhh.... Yorktown series.... writing that one down! :D

shuman road searchers
07-08-2009, 04:41 PM
And for those who like testing the limits of your 4 WD vehicles, the Yorktown series beckons!With all of the rain lately I think fins and a snorkel may be the better approach!

brdad
07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
In chat last night, shuman road searchers suggested I add a section to the stats which lists Maine's Unfound caches. So, here it is! Remember, caches are found every day, it is up to you to verify they are still unfound, don't blame me if you go to be FTF on one of these and you're second!

Even more amazing was after I added that I thought I'd add a list of available caches which have not been found in more than 365 days. I was amazed to see nearly 100 active caches have not!

Again, this data is not 100% accurate. Do your research before heading out.

WhereRWe?
07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Dave, I think you need to take up a hobby... :D:D

Sudonim
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Burnt Jacket looks like a nice trail/hike. Only 4 people have found it, the last one in '06. Again, thanks for all the info.

shuman road searchers
07-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks brdad! Maybe some cachers will go and get them now!

brdad
07-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Dave, I think you need to take up a hobby... :D:D

My problem is that I have too many hobbies!

brdad
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Still a lot of unfound and not found in a long time caches. All this nice weather, what's your excuse?

And if you're wondering, my excuse if I am still working on my patio. The few extra hours I had was spent fixing a goof I made on my new cache and going out to verify I had it correct. :rolleyes:

Sudonim
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Still a lot of unfound and not found in a long time caches. All this nice weather, what's your excuse?

And if you're wondering, my excuse if I am still working on my patio. The few extra hours I had was spent fixing a goof I made on my new cache and going out to verify I had it correct. :rolleyes:

I can vouch for him, noticed the other day that your side steps seem a little out of place, figured that you were doing some deck work...

firefighterjake
07-21-2009, 07:47 AM

I hear ya Dave . . . seems like all of my free time is either spent tearing down an old camp (my old Love Shack of my post-college days/early-Heidi wooing days which will be reborn as the Wood Shack or rather Wood Shed) and cutting and hauling wood from behind the fire station in town (my hometown) as this area is the future site of our fire pond . . . and my present source of firewood for 2010-2011.

It's a shame, but I just have no free time this summer to cache, camp or ATV . . . work, work, work . . . about the only free time I get is when I go to work. ;):D

brdad
08-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Stats have been updated. I had to skip a week, or was it two? Sometimes life gets in the way!

I had a glitch in my PQs that might have the archived caches off by a few, minor detail.

brdad
09-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Stats have been updated!

Maine currently has exactly 100 available caches that have not been found in over a year - now there's a challenge I'd like to see someone take on!

Sudonim
09-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Stats have been updated!

Maine currently has exactly 100 available caches that have not been found in over a year - now there's a challenge I'd like to see someone take on!

There are some very worthy caches on this list, some I've done, many I plan to do (someday, when I have the time....)

Haffy
09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
There are some very worthy caches on this list, some I've done, many I plan to do (someday, when I have the time....)

And your time will be limited now that the coin ordering frenzy has begun...:D:eek:

PS: just posted it on the GC forums for you,hope you don't mind? :D

Sudonim
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
And your time will be limited now that the coin ordering frenzy has begun...:D:eek:

PS: just posted it on the GC forums for you,hope you don't mind? :D

Thanks John, you beat me to it!

Waterski
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for compiling all that info. It is interesting to see which ones have not been found in a while.

squirrelcache
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Thank you for sharing the info. w/all of us. I run similar reports through GSAK now and again when I want to find something unique during a long day of caching.

brdad
09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
We have broken the 900,000 mark for available worldwide caches!

There is an error in my percentage calculation, it should read

Maine's percentage of 900824 available worldwide caches: .508%
instead of
Maine's percentage of 900824 available worldwide caches: 508.87%

pm28570
09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Well that just messes up my weekend plans........:rolleyes::D

There is an error in my percentage calculation, it should read Maine's percentage of 900824 available worldwide caches: .508% instead of Maine's percentage of 900824 available worldwide caches: 508.87%

brdad
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Well that just messes up my weekend plans........:rolleyes::D

Well, I'd hate to see that happen, so I have corrected it. You were planning on doing all 6 of my caches this weekend, correct? :p

pm28570
09-15-2009, 08:32 PM
You're a mind reader, too!

Well, I'd hate to see that happen, so I have corrected it. You were planning on doing all 6 of my caches this weekend, correct? :p

cachecrashers4
09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
OT: brdad - love your tag line

brdad
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
We have passed the 6000 caches published mark this week.

cano
10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Where do you get archived caches from?

brdad
10-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Where do you get archived caches from?

Platinum members get access to all archived caches. ;)

But anyone else can get most of them by going through every log of every cacher who has ever placed or found a cache in Maine and checking every cache that person has hidden in Maine and saving the individual gpx file from there. It was tough when I started saving this data in 2003, I can imagine it'd be a lot tougher now.

I still have to maintain my archiveds somewhat manually - every week I check for caches in my database that did not come through on the PQs, and then the logs are loaded for that cache, because I use the log dates to determine what day they were archived and by who. I could automate this process some and I might in the future, but doing it manually helps me remember which ones are gone.

I am still not 100% sure I have every cache published in Maine, but I should be real close.

brdad
10-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Several new stats this week, mostly cache hider stats:

Number of days since Maine's first cache was placed
Average number of caches placed per day since Maine's first cache was placed
Average number of caches placed per cache hider
Total cache to cache distance by placed order

Top Ten cache hiders
Most caches placed by cache type
Most caches placed by cache size
Most caches placed by cache difficulty
Most caches placed by cache terrain
Cachers who have hidden more than 20 unique difficulty/terrain combinations
Cachers who have hidden more than 10 unique cache type/size combinations
Avid promoters of geocachingmaine.org
Number of cache hiders who hid their first Maine cache by year

pm28570
10-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Some interesting topics there. Thanks Dave.

brdad
11-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Stats have been updated. I see a few new people on the "Avid promoters of geocachingmaine.org" list!

Ekidokai
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
OK, OK, I'm working on it.

Mainiac1957
11-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Stats have been updated. I see a few new people on the "Avid promoters of geocachingmaine.org" list!

You need to check mine again.. I think I am at 100% now. But I may have missed one or two.

brdad
11-03-2009, 05:45 PM
You need to check mine again.. I think I am at 100% now. But I may have missed one or two.

According to my database, 27 of your 44 active caches link to the site, for a percentage of 61%. If you have just updated some of the caches in the past couple days, my PQs may have come in before you changed them and it will be reflected in the next update. Here is the list I have, a 0 means the cache does not link to the site and a 1 indicates it does.

Sorry for the poor cut and paste formatting!

A View of the Lake (A Rescue Rangers Cache) mainiac1957 0
Airline TB Inn and Resort Annex mainiac1957 0
B.C.F. East Trail mainiac1957 0
B.C.F. Gas Saver mainiac1957 0
B.C.F. Grouse Trail mainiac1957 0
B.C.F. Veazie Railroad Bed mainiac1957 0
B.C.F. West Trail mainiac1957 0
Camp Roosevelt Cache Brewer Boy Scout Troop 1 0
Dorothea Dix Maine Geocachers 0
Engineer's memory Maine Geocachers 0
Falls-away Maine Geocachers 0
Fisherman's Park mainiac1957 0
Home Run! mainiac1957 0
Kan Koozie Kache mainiac1957 0
Kineowatha Maine Geocachers 0
Lo and Behold.....it's another micro mainiac1957 0
Penobscot River Trail mainiac1957 0
Brewer by the Numbers mainiac1957 1
China School Forest Maine Geocachers 1
Coos Canyon Cache mainiac1957 1
Don't Pushaw your luck mainiac1957 1
Down at the boat launch mainiac1957 1
Five years of the Bashe - cache mainiac1957 1
Island Hoppers mainiac1957 1
Jock's Dream mainiac1957 1
Maine's Resident Rock Star mainiac1957 1
Mainiac1957's Map 38 Cache mainiac1957 1
Remember When...Civil Defense mainiac1957 1
Remember When...Dow A.F.B. mainiac1957 1
Remember When...The Bangor Twin Drive-In mainiac1957 1
Route 2 Mystery Tour mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour Veterans Memorial Park mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-East Mercer Cemetery mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-Lake George West mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-Lufkin School mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-Palmyra Veterans Park mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-Philbrick Park mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-Ranger Station mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-Road to Nowhere mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-State Line mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Route 2 Tour-The Old Bridge mainiac1957 with Quilting Mom and Mike 1
Sherwood Forest Series (George A Green) mainiac1957 1
Stacked on the Stillwater mainiac1957 1
WWFM-VI TBA? mainiac1957 1

brdad
11-04-2009, 03:48 AM
If anyone else is working on their links and would like a list of their caches I have listed as not being linked, let me know and I can PM them to you.

pm28570
11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
You can add me to the list. Banner is on both, but perhaps the link is wrong.

If anyone else is working on their links and would like a list of their caches I have listed as not being linked, let me know and I can PM them to you.

brdad
11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
You can add me to the list. Banner is on both, but perhaps the link is wrong.

Your links are fine and will show up in the next update. On your Bennet/Wilson cache, not everything was pasted in correctly, that is why the banner is on the left with the description starting right after it. But it still links to the site.

pm28570
11-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks Dave, will play with it when I get back.

Your links are fine and will show up in the next update. On your Bennet/Wilson cache, not everything was pasted in correctly, that is why the banner is on the left with the description starting right after it. But it still links to the site.

brdad
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I thought we were going to pass 5000 available caches this week, but we're not quite there yet, but soon!

I think everyone who asked about being on the promoters of the site list have been added with this update.

brdad
11-25-2009, 07:24 PM
We have passed the 5000 available caches mark!

WhereRWe?
11-25-2009, 08:02 PM

As quality has given away to quantity... Sheesh!

TRF
11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
As quality has given away to quantity... Sheesh!

I KNOW!! Shame on everyone who has taken the time to contribute to geocaching by hiding a cache! How dare they do that. We all know there are no quality caches anymore and that this is only an issue that has occurred recently! :eek::eek::eek::p

pm28570
11-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Yet again, an interesting read. Thanks, Dave.

WhereRWe?
11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
I KNOW!! Shame on everyone who has taken the time to contribute to geocaching by hiding a cache! How dare they do that. We all know there are no quality caches anymore and that this is only an issue that has occurred recently! :eek::eek::eek::p

Sarcasm noted. But no - it is not a recent occurrence. It's been a gradual slide, and I'm afraid so see where it ends. Remember when nearly every cache log said something like "We'd never have found this place if it hadn't been for geocachng"? How often does a "new" cache say this?

But if you like GRC/LPC/stop sign caches - go for it. We don't. It's not what geocaching is all about - IMHO. Perhaps it needs a different name - like "Waypointing", or something.

:D:D

brdad
11-26-2009, 08:33 AM
This is always a touchy subject and probably should be in it's own thread, but I'll weigh in a bit and TRY to be fair minded about it.

Fact: There are more micros now than there ever were, and there is a much much higher percentage of micros than there ever were.

Fact: Micros are not necessarily low quality, nor are low quality caches necessarily micros. This has been true since caching started.

Fact: Everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes lesser quality in a cache, whether it is location, size, container, hide method, or whatever.

Now comes the opinion mixed with some fact:

I don't think the ratio of what I consider a lesser quality cache has been consistent with the number of caches placed. I think the event which caused the largest jump in the percentage of these caches was the removal of virtual caches from gc.com. Why they removed a cache type that the placer was required to explain why the spot was worthy and replace it with a type that could be haphazardly placed is beyond me. The other largest thing that I think promotes lesser quality cache hides is the promotion of 'the numbers'. This has existed since caching started and has had upswings and downswings through time.

That being said, I am not sure if the percentage of what I consider to be lesser quality caches is much greater than it ever was. If, when I started, 10 of the 150 (6%) caches available were 'lame', that same percentage would be 331 of the available caches now. I do know my expectations have lowered - that my definition of a lesser quality cache has lowered.

WhereRWe?
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
The other largest thing that I think promotes lesser quality cache hides is the promotion of 'the numbers'. This has existed since caching started and has had upswings and downswings through time.

Exactly!

We like to congratulate fellow cachers for reaching milestones: 100 caches found, 500, 1,000, etc. There was a time when reaching one of these milestones meant a lot of miles driven and a lot of paths walked. But now, when you can do 100 caches in a day on 1 tank of gas, the significance of the "milestone" is much less, IMHO. If it's easy to do, why do we even consider it an accomplishment?

The Delorme Challenge is a good example of one of the remaining REAL accomplishments. It takes time, effort and planning.

TeamHorwich
11-26-2009, 10:01 AM
hey, thanks for letting me know what a REAL accomplishment is...I think that is where people get frustrated - others deciding what is REAL, or LAME, or QUALITY caching is. If you don't like the style of caching, don't do it...

brdad
11-26-2009, 10:22 AM
People rate everything, TV shows, motor vehicles, amusement rides, books - there are very few if any things that humans do not rate. People have to remember that discussions of this sort are purely opinion. I think most cachers would agree that a well maintained cache in a durable container adds to the quality of a cache, but there will always be those few that would not care if a cache was nothing more than a wet log in a ripped ziplock bag.

And while it is fact that all caches and types of caches get easier with time including challenges, the level of accomplishment is dependent on the individual cacher and their methods and abilities.

TRF
11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
... ...
The Delorme Challenge is a good example of one of the remaining REAL accomplishments. It takes time, effort and planning.

LOL, Is this a parody of "The Hitchers Guide to the Galaxy." by Douglas Adams?

"The meaning of Life is .....!", and a true geocaching accomplishment is "... ... REAL accomplishments. ... ... It takes ....."

He hehaaaa

:D:eek::D:p

CARoperPhotography
01-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Where have all the micros gone, Brdad?

brdad
01-04-2010, 06:47 AM
All the micros are gone? There is a God! :D

Looks like I must have mistakenly had them filtered out last time I ran the stats. I usually double check things when I run them but I know I didn't last week. GSAK is waiting on one PQ due today and then I will run them again. Check again later today.

CARoperPhotography
01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
TeamHorwich...... you have accomplished nothing, apparently!

brdad
01-04-2010, 11:23 AM
TeamHorwich...... you have accomplished nothing, apparently!

Even if TeamHorwich had never hidden a micro, anyone would still have to respect their accomplishments. I hear praise for their caches mentioned at events and in chat. Sure, micros may be the larger percentage of their hides, but if that's the only criteria you re using for one's accomplishments, that's a bit shallow IMHO.

Anyway, stats are updated, including micros this week. ;)

CARoperPhotography
01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
No one said that micros are the ONLY criteria for one's accomplishments. Please do not put words on my keyboard that I did not type.

However, micros are the majority of what TH, myself, and others such as Lex and Ekidokai have hidden. Many of them are GREAT hides. Because a cache is a micro does not mean that it is a simple guardrail park n grab.

brdad
01-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I could not agree more, but I only know of one LPC ammo box cache.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/f52f4ce6-8c9d-407a-ae05-79a6a566e86e.jpg

CARoperPhotography
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
HA HA! Gotta give you a thumbs up for that one.... looks like some caches I have seen :-)

Gob-ler
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
2010 - The Year of the Regular Cache Container

Could it be?

While I like micro caches I am a firm believer that micro caches should only go where a regular cache cannot. IMOHO, there are way to many micro caches that are placed where other more appropriate sized caches could be. Geo-cacher University had a nifty piece about what is appropriate for where.

I am getting a bit concerned about the dramatic increase in small sized caches. I think we can do better.

There, you now have two things that BRDAD and I have similar feelings about although on this one my view may not be quite as narrow as the other persons view.

Cache on!

brdad
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
HA HA! Gotta give you a thumbs up for that one.... looks like some caches I have seen :-)

That is an actual cache - placed by the self-proclaimed "Number one non-cheating Geocacher in the world"!

brdad
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
There, you now have two things that BRDAD and I have similar feelings about although on this one my view may not be quite as narrow as the other persons view.

I knew you'd come around! :D

Brett does a great job with the Geocacher University (http://www.geocacher-u.com/) web site.

And I'll agree I am more narrow minded on most subjects. But I am truly concerned with how the game is presented and perceived, particularly to new cachers and non-cachers - perhaps a bit more than I need to.

lexmano
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
That is an actual cache - placed by the self-proclaimed "Number one non-cheating Geocacher in the world"!

Give it up, I thought HD had that title.:D

WhereRWe?
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
And I'll agree I am more narrow minded on most subjects. But I am truly concerned with how the game is presented and perceived, particularly to new cachers and non-cachers - perhaps a bit more than I need to.

Remember how we always used to remark that "I/we would have never been to this place if it hadn't been for geocaching"? Sheesh! You can say the same think about the back side of many shopping mall stores! LOL!

;);)

brdad
01-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Remember how we always used to remark that "I/we would have never been to this place if it hadn't been for geocaching"? Sheesh! You can say the same think about the back side of many shopping mall stores! LOL!

;);)

Yeah, the only difference unlike many of the "older style unique areas", some of the stores I have been behind to get a cache I will never return to! I'm not sure if it's that hiders don't notice or don't care, or if the conditions changed since they last checked on it, but it's very hard to enjoy a cache when there are hypodermic needles, used condoms, or other unsanitary conditions nearby. And I know this is common around other caches as well (as in the case of Old470), but many areas behind businesses are never cleaned up and it's quite obvious they are not the best place to be hanging at, let alone bringing your kids to.

When we were in Memphis caching this Spring, we came up on a cache behind this run down convenience store. I got a funny feeling driving up and before I even stopped, Lee told me to keep going. A month or so ago I was talking to a cacher who lives in the area and had lunch with on our trip - he told us of a big drug operation that was busted at that store just a few days before. Sometimes you have to go with your gut.

And yet, I hear another 'Let people play the way they want" and/or "If you don't like them, don't do them" speech coming soon. Sorry, I can't buy that in these cases. There are some areas that caches should just not be placed near.

CARoperPhotography
01-04-2010, 09:31 PM
There is nothing more to piss me off, than a micro DEEP in the woods....

.... and.... in response to Gobbler's comment, I think that before he criticizes other's oddly placed caches in locations that don't quite make sense, I can name off a few of his that make me wonder..... I mean, the Centum cache in Scarborough? Please..... tell me you couldn't find a better spot than the back of a store to place that!!!

TRF
01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
And yet, I hear another 'Let people play the way they want" and/or "If you don't like them, don't do them" speech coming soon. Sorry, I can't buy that in these cases. There are some areas that caches should just not be placed near.

Then applying your logic to other life issues, we should not fly on certain airline carriers because they tend to be "terrorized" more often. Or we shouldn't visit certain cities because the crime rate is too high. Or we shouldn't buy certain cars because they don't rate as well as others in specific areas.

Why do we need to tell people what is or is not good for them? As you pointed out in relaying your anecdote, go with your gut feeling. More murders and muggings and drug deals happen in Central Park NY, NY than in all of Maine but I would still bring my kids to visit. I wouldn't bring them at midnight on a Saturday but I would think I'd betray them by denying them the opportunity to see the place. At one time Washington DC was the "murder capital" of the US. I'd bring my kids there too, I just would use common sense and not walk down back roads that I wasn't familiar with.

Also, I've heard of horror tales of people camping in Baxter State Park who have had horrific encounters with other people. On the other hand I would never say that you shouldn't go there. What about the murders along the Appalachian Trails, should we ban Rick from hiking that? or just that section of the trail?

My point being, is I don't need anyone to make decisions for me. I would appreciate and respect anyone who shares honest information with me but lets me make up my own mind. I can make good decisions without someone telling me what decision I should make. (I've made my share of bad choices too but attribute that to being given dishonest information for the most part.)

I can't help but respond to these comments when I feel that the freedom offered to geocachers to cache how they see fit, where and when they want, is being assailed by folks who believe they represent a purist view of a sport that was obviously intended to evolve and grow. Considering that geocaching is a "newer" sport I feel it short sighted to say that the way it was is the way it should be. I'm sure glad that Thomas Edison didn't say, Candles are the only acceptable way and there is no reason for any other way to illuminate our world. ;) We wouldn't be geocaching for sure, although maybe someone would have come up with the term geo-dowser. Hmmmm, now that would be a purist way to find a cache.

brdad
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I still feel as cache hiders there are dangers we do not need to subject cachers to, especially unknowingly. We don't need to restrain from hiding a cache in the woods simply because bears are there. We don't need to restrain from hiding a cache in a city just because crime is higher there. Anyone going up a mountain or into a city hopefully has some ideas of the typical dangers that might exist. As a hider if you know a particular spot is unhealthy or unsafe due to conditions that are not typical I don't think a cache should be there. Gc.com has pulled several caches over the years which were placed near marijuana crops - Why would they do that - should they just let the cacher find out on his own?

There is no black and white. Not every area behind a store is unsafe. Not every remote section of woods is safe. An area can become unsafe after a cache is hidden. And I would hate to see rules placed forcing anyone to place or not place caches a certain way. I'd rather discuss these issues among our community of geocachers as we do here and hope they think and make an informed decision when they place caches. If you think the place anything anywhere any way approach is the way for caches to be placed, then you have every right to promote that ideal.

This is actually a great topic for it's own thread.

CARoperPhotography
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
This is why Geocaching.com (Groundspeak) has legal statements on their site :

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

See this one :

"Geocaching, hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a cache. Be prepared for Your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution. You assume all risks arising in connection with seeking a cache or any other related activity."

I have some risky cache locations, that I am rather proud of and in the published listings for the caches, I put an additional warning in.

People need to be responsible for their own actions and choices on whether or not they choose to seek a cache. It is as simple as that.

Gob-ler
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Seems to me that I did not single anyone one out in particular. My comments were very general in nature. If it hit a sensitive chord with some then my apology and at the same time the old adage holds true,

If the shoe fits, you must wear it!

I am not going to get into a discussion about who placed what cache where. That gains nothing in the short or long run.

My point was about the general down slide as it relates to cache placement everywhere. Not just in Maine.

Sorry about the perceived lameness of one of my caches. I could always just archive them and you would not have to worry yourself about it any longer.

shuman road searchers
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I believe that the rating of a cache as far as worthy,lame,dangerous or anything else is truly that of each individual finder. The cache placer can only make a suggestion as to the "quality" of their hide but it is each one of us finders that will determine to ourselves if the spot is lame,quality or otherwise. Each one of us has our own opinions on EVERY cache!With this being said, probably most caches have "quality" to them for someone.

dubord207
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM
The discussion here will detiorate into a true pissing contest if we start trying to rate each others caches. Mike hates nanos, that's fine; Dave disfavors micros or series of micros..that's fine too. Puzzle caches make me crazy...so who cares!

Gob-ler's Centum cache was all about acknowledging the effort it often takes to complete a 100 caches in a 24 hour period. It was not his hardest or easiest cache and wasn't intended to be. Up until Mike's SMR and Chadd's Star War series there weren't that many cachers who bagged 100 in a day so I say I'm proud to be one of the few who have qualified to sign in behind the store!

LIke I've said many times before, I like them all..some more then others, but I truly do like them all. I think folks can tell by the logs people post which caches are held in high regard. There's no need to denegrate fellow cacher's hides in this forum.

Ekidokai
01-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Seems to me that I did not single anyone one out in particular. My comments were very general in nature. If it hit a sensitive chord with some then my apology and at the same time the old adage holds true,

If the shoe fits, you must wear it!

I am not going to get into a discussion about who placed what cache where. That gains nothing in the short or long run.

My point was about the general down slide as it relates to cache placement everywhere. Not just in Maine.

Sorry about the perceived lameness of one of my caches. I could always just archive them and you would not have to worry yourself about it any longer.

Don't you dare do that until I find it. Like most everybody else after you find a cache there is hardly any reason to go back. Unless your like me and take new people out on adventures. I think in the 400 I have found I could call only one lame.

Like they say lameness is in the eye of the beholder. Of coarse they also say I'm crazy and when I cache they we wont be hearing from they anymore.

Oh yeah, nanos are bad.

CARoperPhotography
01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't mind taking people back to great caches. Heck, I go on finds of my own caches that I am proud of with people who are looking for them!

Gob-ler, I apologize if you were offended. My comment was merely an example and response to your comment regarding matching proper cache locations with the proper cache. I never said your cache was "lame". It was meant more for an example to everyone of a great themed cache which using their definitions of lame caches, would not be so "lame". Maybe you should change it to the "Double Centum" and make cachers find 200 in a day to up the ante since from some of the feed back here, apparently Mike and I have ruined it for everyone by making it easier for people to log your cache ha ha

Gob-ler
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Well, back when the Centum cache was placed, I think I may have been the only one in the state who had done a hundred in a day. Actually I did that twice in the same week back in February down in Maryland. Clueseeker had a Centum cache in Maryland I Johnny_Cache and I completed the requirements and then I went and found the final for the FTF when JC could not make it.

That was were the cache idea came from and when it was listed in Maine there was some concern if it could be done. The first to complete did it in NH and the other states soon followed with the exception I think of Massachusetts. That one is still available.

When Ekio however you spell his handle was contemplating the Stud Mill Road thing he emailed me and asked if I would mind and my response was have at it. I really have to say even I was surprised at the number of folks who undertook the challenge and completed. It seems to be a very popular challenge cache although honestly, it is quite a bit easier now than when first listed. The logs have been most interesting.

There is no Double Centum in my future. If you want to place one go ahead, although it would be a bit difficult for anyone who caches regularly up that way to complete it as they have made the big runs already.

As for the comments that were made, most of the challenge caches I have done it is the challenge that has been the difficult part. While the final for that cache is not my best or most difficult it has been visited often.

You might try a couple of my better ones. Maybe MSCREP - 3000 is a big number. Not many have done the cache, but it certainly has raised a few eyebrows. Railroad Park in its early days was a head scratcher and while still a bit difficult it is not a tough as it used to be.

I have rambled enough, Cache on!

CARoperPhotography
01-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Thank you for your suggestions Gob-Ler! I'll check that cache out!

brdad
01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
This thread seems like a free-for-all lately, and now this is on my mind...

All caches get easier with time, it's just too bad some get pushed toward the easy line sooner than "was intended", saying that as if I know what was intended, which in case you're wondering, I really don't.

The centums probably would never have been placed if caching had not gotten easier beforehand. I'd guess 90% of the cachers now started at a time when the ease of PQs and notifications, as well as advanced technology (Auto GPS, Mapping GPS, Cachemate, GSAK, etc.) were commonplace and may not ever realize there was a time when this technology was nonexistent in the caching world.

That and with with a larger number of caches and cachers, some originally unique hides are quite commonplace, and even if you have not found a particular hide, you may have heard about it. Heck, even the first GRC and LPC appear a bit tricky the first time. The desire to get the numbers has pushed cachers to hide caches in ways to help promote those numbers.

Online mapping has come a long way too. Color aerials and street view - there are a few caches now you can actually see the cache using street view.

A centum would have been very tough if not impossible if you had to load each cache page and print it out, load each coordinate onto your GPSr, and then travel to each cache (without the aid of Auto navigation) which was probably an average of 20 miles apart or more. Filter out your GSAk caches to only show caches placed in 2003 or earlier and try planning a centum from there and you'll see what I mean. Heck, just try planning the centum in Maine using dates earlier than the placed date of the challenge (14 May 09).

And while everyone knows I don't think all these factors have advanced caching in a positive way, overall caching has improved. I do like having all my caches in GSAK and being able map them out, upload them to my Nuvi, GPSr, Laptop, and PDA, I probably would have thought that was overkill (and possibly cheating!) when I started caching.