View Full Version : Mt A CITO

Mainiac1957
04-20-2007, 06:24 PM
OK, So who else but me is going down from Bangor and points north and east, for SURE. I am just wondering, that's all. No one can use the weather as an excuse on this one.:)

ribnag
04-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Mainiac1957 : No one can use the weather as an excuse on this one.

Nope, not the weather. The weather will instead torment me, as will missing the CITO, as I get dragged around the Home Show on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. :(

Cache Maine
04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Team Expedition has arrived in town (well, a nearby town anyway) this evening to take a look at the damage from the storms that hit this week. We will be here through Sunday and will see everyone then! Woo hoo! I WILL find Lordy Lordy!

Team2hunt
04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Woo hoo! I WILL find Lordy Lordy!

But....how many lifelines will you have to use? :p

Cache Maine
04-20-2007, 09:45 PM
I think I'm all out of lifelines...I'll have to use just plain skill on this one...speaking of which...how many lifelines did you need to use to get your pda back? LOL :D :p

firefighterjake
04-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Mainiac1957 : No one can use the weather as an excuse on this one.

Nope, not the weather. The weather will instead torment me, as will missing the CITO, as I get dragged around the Home Show on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. :(

I've been by there now twice . . . I don't think I'll be very popular if I show up again as we were making the folks with machinery disconnect the batteries, zip strip electrical cords were a no-no and we asked a few folks to stabilize and strap their helium tanks . . . on the flip side I did pick up quite a few pens and if you're good you can get a whole bunch of geo-swag with rulers, frisbees, carabiners, jar grippers, etc. ;):D

attroll
04-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Tink and I are planning on showing up if she can get her relief to come in and replace her at work one hour early. We will know for sure by Saturday evening. If we do go we will be leaving here at about 11:15 so it would be to late i am sure to car pool with anyone, bummer.

attroll
04-21-2007, 12:06 AM
OK, I am asking for some directions. I know it is cheating and I do know how to get there but I basically want some opinions as to what exit to get off on route 95 coming from the north? It looks like Wells or York and both look like a pain because you still have a little drive on route 1. Since we will be arriving late I am just trying to find the quickest way there.

Steve'sSister
04-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Hello. I suggest taking the York exit and then drive North on Route 1. If you go through Wells, it takes much longer, and you have to deal with the Ogunquit traffic on a weekend, and that is NOT a good thing. Plus, if you happen to have anyone in the car with you who is prone to distractions- there are less temptations of places to stop if you come from the South. (For me, driving from Kennebunk South on Rte 1 to York is too dangerous...too many ice cream, antique, consignment shops etc...) Yes, go to the York Exit.

Team2hunt
04-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Do we know if all the roads are now open? I will be bringing my " special super stealth navigator " with me, so finding the best way in for us will be no problem. Unless we hit a BRIDGE OUT sign.

Team2hunt
04-21-2007, 08:53 AM
I think I'm all out of lifelines...I'll have to use just plain skill on this one...speaking of which...how many lifelines did you need to use to get your pda back? LOL :D :p

That was more a plea for HELP :eek: than anything. But Hollora said she did it as a " favor " to me. So......no lifeline needed! :D

hollora
04-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Favor huh? I don't think that is what we agreed too. :D :p I'm still waiting for the monetary donation to Team Expedition's trip to GW5...checks can be made out to, "Cache Maine."

....okay....posted....ohhh....sorry LA, I thought I was logged in under my account. CM :) :rolleyes:

hollora
04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Cache Maine - you are a devil!

Cache Maine
04-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Who me? nahhhhhh.....

I have hints for Oh Lordy Lordy if anyone needs them! They are free!

attroll
04-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Hello. I suggest taking the York exit and then drive North on Route 1. If you go through Wells, it takes much longer, and you have to deal with the Ogunquit traffic on a weekend, and that is NOT a good thing. Plus, if you happen to have anyone in the car with you who is prone to distractions- there are less temptations of places to stop if you come from the South. (For me, driving from Kennebunk South on Rte 1 to York is too dangerous...too many ice cream, antique, consignment shops etc...) Yes, go to the York Exit.
That was what I was thinking , bity wanted to hear from someone that had experience driving down south.

It is not looking good for Tink and I attending. Tink does not got out of work until noon time and it is about 1 1/2 hour drive. By the time we got there it would be over with. We are bumming. She was suppose to get off work at 11 tomorrow but she never heard from the person she asked to come in early.

ribnag
04-22-2007, 09:22 AM
firefighterjake : we were making the folks with machinery disconnect the batteries

Hmm? I get the problem with zip ties (I've ruined more than one good run of CAT5 with them - nice sharp inside edges!), but disconnecting batteries? Wherein lies the danger there?

Hiram357
04-22-2007, 09:26 AM
firefighterjake : we were making the folks with machinery disconnect the batteries

Hmm? I get the problem with zip ties (I've ruined more than one good run of CAT5 with them - nice sharp inside edges!), but disconnecting batteries? Wherein lies the danger there?

Because machinery with batteries are too easy to start. :D

What?? you're parents never dragged you into one of those places when you were little and you just happen to find yourself alone in the seat of a backhoe and wondered, just what would happen if you turned that key? and pushed a few levers this way and that way, and wondered if it would really make it over the tractor display???? :rolleyes:

Cache Maine
04-23-2007, 06:32 AM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/500/medium/MtA07.jpg

Cache Maine
04-23-2007, 06:38 AM
That was more a plea for HELP :eek: than anything. But Hollora said she did it as a " favor " to me. So......no lifeline needed! :D

Well then, as a favor, maybe we can take you up on that offer of the free "Team2Hunt Guided Tour Service." :p :D :)

firefighterjake
04-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Not zip ties . . . "zip strips" . . . those light-duty six- to eight-foot extension cords (usually with a two- to three-way plug in outlet) that are not approved for the use as they were in the civic center.

Disconnecting the battery is required to prevent the accidental starting and movement of the machinery . . . this may be a bit of an over-kill, but it's required nonetheless.

firefighterjake
04-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Because machinery with batteries are too easy to start. :D

What?? you're parents never dragged you into one of those places when you were little and you just happen to find yourself alone in the seat of a backhoe and wondered, just what would happen if you turned that key? and pushed a few levers this way and that way, and wondered if it would really make it over the tractor display???? :rolleyes:

And to continue my thoughts . . . Not to mention the fact that we don't want folks like Hiram running amok with a backhoe in a crowded auditorium. ;) :D

attroll
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/mtacito.jpg
The picture is small but it looks like I missed Ordinary Shark who I have not seen for awhile and Robt"s grandson and some new faces I have never met. Bummer.

On a good note I went out to the old "Fletcher Farm" cache that was recently archived for Tom Fletcher and checked it out and verified that it was in good shape and took over the cache and I will be maintaining it now for him now because he works out of state to often. I reposted it as a new cache and it just got released today, Fletcher nature walk (http://www.geocaching.com:80/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=58992a3c-3c81-4cf4-9703-f529b4d95e18). I also received permission to place some more caches out on his property. So I may do that this weekend. Talked to Tom on the phone from New York yesterday and he is a really great guy.

Cache Maine
04-23-2007, 09:55 PM
I've uploaded a better, bigger picture....sorry the other one was tiny.

Foxgloves
04-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Cameo would you be able to email me the highest resolution copy of the CITO event picture ...for my scrapbook?:)

Thank you
Nikki

Cache Maine
04-24-2007, 11:41 AM
It's gonna cost ya! Oh wait, maybe not! Thanks for those ammo boxes! :)

hollora
04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah CM - paybacks are a "B_ _ _ _ _" LOL - Fork over the high resolution pic!

Cache Maine
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Now now now! Easy on the demands! LOL

hollora
04-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok, ok - pleaseeeee :D

Cache Maine
04-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Alright, alright! FG and LA, here is a link (http://talphotography.com/Caching/MtACITO07.jpg) to the high res picture...

(7 mb file)

Team2hunt
04-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Well then, as a favor, maybe we can take you up on that offer of the free "Team2Hunt Guided Tour Service." :p :D :)

I had a GREAT time revisiting a few of my favorite caches, recently. :) :) There was more time to stop and enjoy the views and with Troy along, he logged the caches too. I am going to spend some of this summer, heading back to those, " I will return someday " caches. And you are certainly welcome to come along.

Now the Maine DeLorme Challenge. That would be expensive! What ya got? :rolleyes:

Cache Maine
04-28-2007, 07:56 AM
About 26 maps....so if you charged $5.00 per map, that's roughly $130. Pretty good salary for a day's work, especially with the entertainment factor you would get as I try to find these "1 cache on a map" caches.

So it would be east to St. Croix, North to Fort Kent, west to Rangeley, and a big paddle to Vinalhaven.

We haven't left yet? LOL

In all seriousness, I estimate it will take me all summer to finish this and at least 5 separate trips.

Team2hunt
04-28-2007, 08:33 AM
About 26 maps....so if you charged $5.00 per map, that's roughly $130. Pretty good salary for a day's work, especially with the entertainment factor you would get as I try to find these "1 cache on a map" caches.

So it would be east to St. Croix, North to Fort Kent, west to Rangeley, and a big paddle to Vinalhaven.

We haven't left yet? LOL

In all seriousness, I estimate it will take me all summer to finish this and at least 5 separate trips.

Other things to consider:

You are in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Maine. Little Falls and the cache is missing, or you DNF it! Oops! That's another trip into the far reaches of Maine. TAT always had a cache with him to place if necessary. Some days we traveled 100 miles or more and only logged 2 or 3 caches. I think I gave up calculating at around 4000 miles on 5 different trips. Don't forget there's a cache on MAP 70 now. I'll let you know how it is. This is the Rescue Rangers mission 07. The Black River.

We all had a great time doing this last year. The friendships and stories will last a lifetime. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Oh! and then there's the cache on Vinalhaven. That took us most of one day to run off the ferry, find and sign the log, and almost lose KK. Only 2 caches that day, but it was the final 2. And the best thing was that 1manteam came along for the ride. He's the BESTEST!

Foxgloves
04-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Alright, alright! FG and LA, here is a link (http://talphotography.com/Caching/MtACITO07.jpg) to the high res picture...

(7 mb file)

Thank you Cameo!!! Your a sweetheart!

tat
04-28-2007, 10:49 AM
... Don't forget there's a cache on MAP 70 now....

Cache or no cache, Map 70 is still exempt! Better get cachin' before Team Teebow changes his mind!! :)

hollora
04-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I too am hoping to the get more maps for the DC this summer.

Cache Maine
04-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Thank you Cameo!!! Your a sweetheart!

*blush* Oh gees...

checks can be made payable to Cache Maine...:D