View Full Version : Etna Bog disabled...

Cache Maine
05-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I thought it was interesting that Etna Bog was disabled by the owner. The reason given was that the roads were taking a beating. Will be interesting to see if this one comes back online.

Etna Bog (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f8ea9acd-30f7-47d4-be62-1ebeb069c01a)

brdad
05-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I saw that. Hopefully it will come back. I also see Smitty & Company disabled all theirs so they could dedicate more time to a new house. I wish them luck with that project and hope to see those caches return soon. A few good memories there as well as in Etna Bog.

Cache Maine
05-07-2007, 11:25 AM
wow, hadn't seen that. We wish S&C all the best as well. Hope to have them back soon!

I emailed S&C to see if there was anything we can do to help....will update all when I hear back.

Cache Maine
05-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I emailed S&C to see if there was anything we can do to help....will update all when I hear back.

Emailed it twice using gc.com and regular email and both were returned. :(

brdad
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Emailed it twice using gc.com and regular email and both were returned. :(

Perhaps they cancelled their internet account. You could just post the note to one of the cache pages and they might get it that way.

Team2hunt
05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I thought it was interesting that Etna Bog was disabled by the owner. The reason given was that the roads were taking a beating. Will be interesting to see if this one comes back online.

Etna Bog (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f8ea9acd-30f7-47d4-be62-1ebeb069c01a)

I have a lot of fond memories from the trip to Etna Bog. That was fun! Even Troy liked it, after he woke up on the way home.:rolleyes:
I too hope it comes back.

Sabby
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
WOW I don't understand it. The group that went to find the cache after WWWWWW3 on Feb 17 were the last ones to log it. We left nothing but footprints in the snow.

It certainly doesn't look like geocachers are the ones causing the beat up roads.

Can someone enlighten the city cat?

Haffy
05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
The owner didn't state that the goecachers were beating up the roads, I just think that he wants to give the road a break from any traffic that might make it any worse. I'm sure it will go back up once the condition of the road improves.

ribnag
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
brdad : I wish them luck with that project and hope to see those caches return soon.

Well, I accidentally discovered this weekend that they haven't actually pulled the caches from the field, so... :cool:

Good thing, too, as some of them (including the one I did yesterday without realizing they had decommissioned all their caches) have otherwise-stranded TBs and/or coins in them. :eek:

So, etiquette survey time - If someone has disabled their caches for reasons you know have nothing to do with safety or physical availability, do they still count as semi-fair game to anyone willing to look? And does it change the answer if they have TBs stranded in them (which seems a bit unfair to the owner of those TBs, IMO)? :confused:

Team2hunt
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
You can go looking for any cache that you want. Unless the cache has been disabled or archived for reasons of trespassing or danger! We have on several ocassions gone looking for archived caches, to rid the woods of geo-junk. TAT always carries the coords for these caches. Some of the places were really beautiful. The river in Seboomook comes to mind. Good luck!

Haffy
05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I would have hoped that as active as a group that we have here they would have put out an SOS so to speak and asked that others could look after their caches in the interim as they build their new home. I have tried to get in contact with them but so far have not had any luck. Maybe they will read this and do just that. Usually the case of disabling the cache does not necessarily mean abandoning the cache as some caches that are disabled for wintertime will indeed have TB's and or coins in them. I would do just what you have done and moved the TB's along.

brdad
05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
So, etiquette survey time - If someone has disabled their caches for reasons you know have nothing to do with safety or physical availability, do they still count as semi-fair game to anyone willing to look? And does it change the answer if they have TBs stranded in them (which seems a bit unfair to the owner of those TBs, IMO)? :confused:

IMHO, if you find it, it's still a find. And if you looked for the cache not knowing it was disabled for reasons such as this cache was, I wouldn't have anything negative to say about it. However, if you disrespectfully looked for a cache such as this, I would take issue. There's a good chance it was not disabled because cachers were damaging the road, but so that they would not be blamed for doing so (as well as slowing unneccessary traffic).

Now, in the case of Etna Bog, if you were to find an alternate way in not using the road in, that would be ok with me. An example would be if you found a way to kayak down the stream to it. It's great in this case the cache owner stated why it was disabled.

I say the TBs make no difference to the "right thing to do". Risking the chance to give Geocachers a bad name is not an excuse to rescue a trapped TB, IMO.

WhereRWe?
05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
I say the TBs make no difference to the "right thing to do". Risking the chance to give Geocachers a bad name is not an excuse to rescue a trapped TB, IMO.

I think it's the cache owner's responsibility to rescue TB's.

Does anyone know the owner of this cache? From their profile, they've been members of gc.com for 5 years, but have only found 1 cache yet placed 2.

:confused: :confused:

brdad
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I think it's the cache owner's responsibility to rescue TB's.

Does anyone know the owner of this cache? From their profile, they've been members of gc.com for 5 years, but have only found 1 cache yet placed 2.

:confused: :confused:

Hmmm, I'm not sure why the cache owner should have to assume responsibility. If that was the case, if a TB goes missing, shouldn't the cache owner replace it? If you leave your car in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you can't expect them to accept responsibility.

As far as the owners, I don't think they are too active, but they are friends with nuffer, who lives nearby - remember him? I think he was at one of the WWWWWWWWWWs.

Haffy
05-07-2007, 06:31 PM
We are talking about 2 different instances here. # 1 the OP started this thread about the Etna Bog cache being disabled. The cache owner disabled it not because of cachers beating up the road but because of anybody wanting to use the road so he disabled it to save the road so geocachers don't get blamed for it as Brdad stated I believe. There are no TB's or coins in the Etna Bog cache.
# 2 Ribnag did some of Smitty's caches over the past weekend and he found a couple of TB's and a coin in them. He was simply stating that he was concerned about them being stranded because of the cache being disabled. Being disabled and being archived are 2 different things here. Many caches are disabled during the winter months and unfortunately a lot of them will have TB's and coins in them. A good responsible cacher will in my opinion remove them before disabling the cache so they can continue their travels. Some cachers will not but the cache is still available but the owner just can't be available to do the proper maintenance on them thus the disabled icon. In some time in the future they might have plans to reenable it. That's my take on it anyway.

WhereRWe?
05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure why the cache owner should have to assume responsibility. If that was the case, if a TB goes missing, shouldn't the cache owner replace it? If you leave your car in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you can't expect them to accept responsibility.

No, no... I only mean it should be the cache owner's responsibility to "rescue" the TB if he abandons or disables the cache. If it's an otherwise active cache, it's up to the TB to get himself to another cache. LOL!

If the TB goes missing - someone steals it (as I've had happen TOO MANY times) - it's NOT the cache owner's responsibility.

WhereRWe?
05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Many caches are disabled during the winter months and unfortunately a lot of them will have TB's and coins in them. I good responsible cacher will in my opinion remove them before disabling the cache so they can continue their travels.

I agree - and this is the point I was making to Dave. :D :D

But even if a cache is NOT disabled in winter, a lot of TB's will be stranded as the cache is simply not accessible. Too bad for the TB.

I saw a LOT of this in the caches in this area this winter. I thought about rescuing the TB's and bringing them to the WWWWWW3 event, but decided to leave them alone. Winter isolation is something we all have to deal with in Maine! LOL!

:p :p

parmachenee
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM

The cache owner's brother-in-law lives in there now thus the road saw a lot of traffic during the winter and early spring. A big mud-hole has formed so he blocked the road off until they get it fixed. It should be back online after that is done.