View Full Version : GW5 Crew

Haffy
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Just wondering if any of those of you who are headed to GW5 wouldn't mind posting in here how things are going with ya'll. Just kind of like a journal of sorts to let us "Po" folks up here know how things are going and what you have been up to.

Beach Comber
05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Great idea! Sort of a "Virtual" experience.

Sudonim
05-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, kind of a "all my friends went to the fun summer camp and here I am at home." Don't forget to write! I may not make GW6, but I'll be there by #7

Cache Maine
05-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone. We are well on our way to the event and all doing well. We have had a lot of great experiences and some not so great ones too! We are keeping a journal and once the fun is over, I (I can only speak for myself) might share some of the highlights.

I can say that we are all doing well, and the seven that left Maine are all still alive. :)

FuddsGirls
05-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Ok so I didn't get to go to camp with the cool kids but my travel bug did. It had been picked up in Oklahoma and brought to Texas. Cache Safari it dropping it in states as he passes through to GW5.

Cache Maine
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I believe there are 2258 or so travel bugs heading to this event. I can't wait to see how they handle that, but from the sounds of it, they have it all figured out. We will surely pick up some to bring home so we can add to their adventures. We will be hitting Raleigh today to do some caching. It's so hard to know where to start, they are everywhere!

Mainiac1957
05-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, kind of a "all my friends went to the fun summer camp and here I am at home." Don't forget to write! I may not make GW6, but I'll be there by #7
Or "My friend went to GW5 and all I got was this lousy Tee-Shirt" shirt:p

WhereRWe?
05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
We left yesterday morning (Wednesday) and managed to grab a FTF in our home town - I guess before Haffy was awake. We took the scenic route - across New Hampshire to an overnight in Vermont (and a visit to the Harpoon Brewery (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=28493)!). Then today down through New York to New Jersey - near Philadelphia.

On to North Carolina tomorrow - with a couple of stops for caching and to make sure we add Delaware to our "states cached in" list.

tat
05-25-2007, 06:42 AM
This is hard charging, full on caching. We've taken a lot of pics and have a few stories, but not much time to write. But, here's a quick run down of what's to come:

Day 1 Orange County Choppers and camping with Dad.
Day 2 Gettysburg and night mountain bike caching.
Day 3 Camping with bears.
Day 4 Holy caching, Batman. Let's go to the Bat Cave.
Day 5 The Maine contingency arrives!

Kaching Karen
05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Have a good time all! The bears sound interesting and I can't wait to hear your stories. Glad you are too busy to write!

hollora
05-25-2007, 07:26 AM
The event last night was fun and then Brad, Gary, Tom, Barry and I headed out and did a few night caches. It has been interesting adjusting to caching in another state. Certainly have seen a few new things. More later.

WhereRWe?
05-25-2007, 05:35 PM
This is hard charging, full on caching. We've taken a lot of pics and have a few stories, but not much time to write. But, here's a quick run down of what's to come:

Day 1 Orange County Choppers and camping with Dad.

Sheesh! We went through Newburgh, New York yesterday, but I never thought about OCC!

LOL!

We arrived this afternoon - traffic starting to get thick. Did manage to log a cache at the Delaware rest area, to added that state to our list.

Guess we'll see everyone at the event tomorrow.

WhereRWe?
05-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Wow! At lease 13 people from Maine (and about 2,000 others, as well). One of the Maine contingent (Cache Maine/Cameo?) actually had a "Maine Pavilion" set up - complete with flag - and they (Hollora?) were passing out Maine Lobster necklaces. We managed 25 caches today (ALL "urban microcaches") in about 4 hours, but quit early as RULOST2? was getting a headache from the 90+ degree weather. Someone said it's been hot in Maine as well! LOL! We plan to spend the whole day caching tomorrow.

Haffy
05-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Thamks for filling us in Bruce and hope to hear from some of the other Maine contingent as well.

Sabby
05-26-2007, 05:58 PM
If any of you Maine cachers see any of the New York Capital Region Geocachers while you are there. Tell them Sabby says "Hello".

There are at least a dozen at the event.

Cache Maine
05-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Taking a break from the festivities to say hello and pack the vehicle. There is more stuff happening later and another event tonight at midnight. They have also just published GW6 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2e7edc5f-1447-4eb0-959d-6c1b15b2d119&log=y&decrypt=) in California so start making your plans to attend. There will be a Maine group there.

kayakerinme
05-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Team2Hunt and I are back home this morning at about 8:00. We split from TAT and Mainiac1957 in Delaware as they were interested in staying at a hotel along the way. We continued on and made it to a rest area in CT where we rested for several hours before finishing the journey this morning. CacheMaine and Hollora were also in CT in a hotel so those two vehicles should be back later today (Memorial Day).

We have so many stories and memories it will take as many days for us to get them all together as it did to collect them in the first place. Look for more updates soon...

tat
05-28-2007, 12:42 PM
It's just after noon and Mainiac1957 dropped me off at my house! There are a lot of stories to tell, like meeting Jeremy, catching up with GPSfun, meeting Eric -88 (bet most of you don't know him!), the lobster beads, travel bugs, the tornado, the impromptu Mega event, Maine calamari, and on and on. I sure hope we get some of them typed up, but I know I need to get logging caches!

Team2hunt
05-28-2007, 02:20 PM
It's just after noon and Mainiac1957 dropped me off at my house! There are a lot of stories to tell, like meeting Jeremy, catching up with GPSfun, meeting Eric -88 (bet most of you don't know him!), the lobster beads, travel bugs, the tornado, the impromptu Mega event, Maine calamari, and on and on. I sure hope we get some of them typed up, but I know I need to get logging caches!

And don't forget......the wrong turns, almost getting our arms stuck in a pipe, the sweet bouquet in the Team Tahoe, the nightly cell call, night caching on Red Bull, and swimming with your clothes on! Maybe I should have left that one out. Boy..did we have fun!

tat
05-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Sacramento!

hollora
05-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Cache Maine and I hit the Route 69 exit and informal park N ride about 12:30 PM. Ralph was waiting and we repacked (again) and I am settled home.

Did most of my logs daily but have got the TBs caught up this afternoon. Many that were destined for the NE (Maine) really should have been going West.

One, however, specifically wanted to go to the Maine Pig Roast so we are all set on that one. If I can't, for some reason, make it I will get it there somehow.

I can't not explain how much fun it was to jump in the Extreme Caching Vehicle and spend time! And yes, Maine calamari - now that was interesting????

As for Sacramento - that will take some calculation but for me - this Mega event was truly a "blast" (that's a term from the Woodstock days LOL). Although NC caches in many places differently from us - I understand and am ok with it. They come up here and see things different too. If we go to Sacramento - it will be different there too.

The TBs we saw were interesting at best. Met lots of folks. You can't be shy - and - sharing and socializing is what it is about.

My only regret - that I, personally, was not at our shelter long enough to meet and greet the other folks from Maine (I believe there were 4 = 2 couples or groups of 2). Also that they did not stick around or put their chairs with us. They were more than welcome.

The Eaze-E-Up and Maine State flag (compliments of Rep. Richard Rosen) was a great asset along with our "meet and greet beads" - lobsters (compliments of the Maine Lobster Council). If a contingent goes West - we should definitely work on a coordinated effort.

My special thanks to my close and personal partners on this trip - Cache Maine. It was wonderful to get to know you both better. We had some fun times and it wasn't all caching (Monticello, Skyline Drive, IMax, etc.). Oh yes, and they will tell you - I snore, rattle in my sleep, and given a chance come in late. They - drive well, navigate like a dream and are always looking for something to learn/enjoy.

TFTM = Thanks for the Memories!

WhereRWe?
05-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Sheesh! Y'all were in a hurry to get back! LOL! RULOST2? and I are in Lancaster, PA tonight. (Thanks to TAT for suggesting we try "back roads" to get around Washington/Baltimore. We picked up US 15 just north of Raleigh, and had a GREAT trip almost to Lancaster. No traffic most of the way and great scenery.) On to Connecticut tomorrow.

hollora
05-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, we started out sooner and had been there for a while. Cache Maine's little Mio also took us on 15 and it was a great ride. Remember - everyone has a different agenda and payroll master. LOL

Cache Maine
05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah, Mio took us some other places too.... LOL It was all good....I had my eyes closed most of the time. J/K

hollora
05-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, Mio took us some other places too.... LOL It was all good....I had my eyes closed most of the time. J/K

Ah come on - what's wrong with a wrong turn in NYC?:eek: LOL

We made it to the hotel - that's what counts!;)

WhereRWe?
05-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Ah come on - what's wrong with a wrong turn in NYC?:eek: LOL

We made it to the hotel - that's what counts!;)

We avoided NYC by taking I287 through NJ, then the Tappan Zee Bridge. We also took the Merritt Parkway from the NY state line through Connecticut. VERY pretty! No trucks, nice scenery, relaxing drive. But tomorrow, we do the I90/495/95 nightmare run. We'll be ready for the big New Hampshire liquor outlet when we get there! LOL!

(Sheesh! And less than 30 days to our REAL vacation to Quebec! :D :D )

Team2hunt
05-29-2007, 07:12 PM
April Harliss ROCKS!!

We promised we would mention her when we returned!

Mainiac1957
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
April Harliss ROCKS!!

We promised we would mention her when we returned!

And that girl had some good grits to boot!;)

WhereRWe?
05-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Anyone post a copy of the "group photo" at the GW5 "Maine Pavilion" yet? The one on on my camera is a little too dark, I think. :D :D

Cache Maine
05-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Yes Bruce, we have several and Hollora posted both the group (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=31852&postcount=16)and the RR picture.

WhereRWe?
05-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes Bruce, we have several and Hollora posted both the group (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=31852&postcount=16)and the RR picture.

Sheesh! I'm sorry I asked! What a motley looking crew! LOL! But obviously dedicated geocachers! ;) ;)

(I also think TAT needs to grow a beard... :p :p )

Thanks, Cameo...

Cache Maine
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Your welcome.

WhereRWe?
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
And I also nominate TAT for "Best Legs". ;) ;)

Sudonim
05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
And I also nominate TAT for "Best Legs". ;) ;)
So THAT'S why you were standing right next to him :p

tat
05-30-2007, 07:53 PM
(I also think TAT needs to grow a beard... :p :p )

I'll never grow a beard.

firefighterjake
05-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I'll never grow a beard.

. . . but shaving the legs to gain that competitive speed advantage in being FTF the cache might not be out of the question. ;)