View Full Version : TL 2007: Return of the ORCA (recon)

Hiram357
05-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, it looks great for having a downeast adventure this year. And not only can it just be an off-road adventure, but it can be a canoe/kyak/boat/hike/atv/or sit around the campfire adventure weekend!!

Stef and I went up this weekend to do a little recon for the adventure, and it started out like any other adventure (meaning that it started out terrible...) First the A/C in the jeep died (it appears to be the clutch on the compressor, and it gets loud...) Second every single primitive site that we went to from west lake up to duck pond and middle unknown pond were packed shoulder to shoulder... We finally found a windy spot on the beach of middle unkown, the neighbor had the radio in his truck blaring TOS, but it was just one guy in the afternoon enjoyin himself, no big deal... so we setup the tent (in very windy conditions) and soon they came... ATVs, lots of them... so given my camping intuition we packed up in less than 5 minutes and we're on the road (sound familiar??) We stopped for lunch and weighed our options, just about every site on map within a 50 mile radius was taken up or undesirable... So feeling conquered and staring at the map I saw a little number by a tent... what's this?? a campground!! we called the number in the atlas... no answer, so for our one last attempt for survival we ventured off towards topsfield in hopes of finding a beacon in the dark... and boy did we find it!!!

The Maine Wilderness Campground: Set back in the woods about 3 miles, has everything from camper hookups, cabins, tent sites, boat, canoe, and kyak rentals, docks, a beach for swimming, surrounded by lots of forest, atv trails, and loons! (they're also open year round! winter event!!) The nice lady that runs the place (Charolette) lives there with her family (off the grid, year round) And was very welcoming of the idea about having our group stay a weekend up there!

Now all we need to do is set a date!

(we're also going to try and do another trip up there to place a few caches in the area)

Hiram357
05-28-2007, 03:10 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/stuckinarut.jpg

Yeah, the whole morning was kinda just a big rut... (pun intended) we were tryin to find a remote primative site on the back side of duck pond, went a bit to the side of the road to go around a fallen tree and found some quick sand (this is why they tell you to stay in the middle of the logging roads) on the return trip I just moved the tree... (we had so much sand packed in, that even after hosing it out we were picking rocks out of the brakes all weekend, the sand was packed in so much into the wheel wells that it was actually throwin off the weigt of the tires making a very bumpy ride, and the rocks hidden in the muck stopped us dead in our tracks and knocked the jeep outta alingment)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/wideopenspaces.jpg

Plenty of room! there's about as much space at one of these sites that we had at the 2006 rally.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/MWC.jpg

My favorite part about the campsite.... this is what the place looks like on memorial day weekend! (and the lady was complaining how busy it was!)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/gottaloveit.jpg

ahhhhhh.... :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/directions.jpg

and there's good directions along the logging roads on how to get there. :)

hollora
05-28-2007, 03:54 PM
So - do you have a date yet? Don't have a 4 x 4 but the campground looks inviting.......and a geoevent is always fun :-)

Medawisla
05-28-2007, 03:56 PM
So - do you have a date yet?

No, Hollora, we need one. Folks were honing in on late July...

Hiram357
05-28-2007, 06:08 PM
P.S.... I spelled the thread name wrong... how do i change that???

attroll
05-28-2007, 07:30 PM
P.S.... I spelled the thread name wrong... how do i change that???
You can't. I have to correct it. What is is suppose to say?

firefighterjake
05-28-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm guessing it is supposed to be "TL" as in Tread Lightly, not "TR" (Tread Rough ;):D).

firefighterjake
05-28-2007, 07:40 PM
So - do you have a date yet? Don't have a 4 x 4 but the campground looks inviting.......and a geoevent is always fun :-)

That shouldn't be an issue as many folks are willing to haul a passenger or two or three to an event like this.

firefighterjake
05-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, it looks great for having a downeast adventure this year. And not only can it just be an off-road adventure, but it can be a canoe/kyak/boat/hike/atv/or sit around the campfire adventure weekend!!

Stef and I went up this weekend to do a little recon for the adventure, and it started out like any other adventure (meaning that it started out terrible...) First the A/C in the jeep died (it appears to be the clutch on the compressor, and it gets loud...) Second every single primitive site that we went to from west lake up to duck pond and middle unknown pond were packed shoulder to shoulder... We finally found a windy spot on the beach of middle unkown, the neighbor had the radio in his truck blaring TOS, but it was just one guy in the afternoon enjoyin himself, no big deal... so we setup the tent (in very windy conditions) and soon they came... ATVs, lots of them... so given my camping intuition we packed up in less than 5 minutes and we're on the road (sound familiar??) We stopped for lunch and weighed our options, just about every site on map within a 50 mile radius was taken up or undesirable... So feeling conquered and staring at the map I saw a little number by a tent... what's this?? a campground!! we called the number in the atlas... no answer, so for our one last attempt for survival we ventured off towards topsfield in hopes of finding a beacon in the dark... and boy did we find it!!!

The Maine Wilderness Campground: Set back in the woods about 3 miles, has everything from camper hookups, cabins, tent sites, boat, canoe, and kyak rentals, docks, a beach for swimming, surrounded by lots of forest, atv trails, and loons! (they're also open year round! winter event!!) The nice lady that runs the place (Charolette) lives there with her family (off the grid, year round) And was very welcoming of the idea about having our group stay a weekend up there!

Now all we need to do is set a date!

(we're also going to try and do another trip up there to place a few caches in the area)

Great pics, great story (remind me to always volunteer to be the driver and provide the vehicle when we go out geocaching together by the way since most of your off-road geocachers result in repairs for some odd reason) and it looks like a great place . . . now just let me know of the date. As far as I know, July is wide open for me right now . . . June has the NFPA conference at the start of the month and a wedding in the County at the end.

Incidentally, I was going to mention to you that it seems as though the campsites out that way tend to fill up pretty quickly during Memorial Day Weekend but I didn't want to be a buzz kill and thought you might get lucky . . . besides the last time I suggested a spot it turned out to be "THE" party place for all the rowdy river guides. ;):D

This spot (based on the pics) looks pretty good . . . I'll have to check it out on-line and see where it is on the map . . . and if it would be worth bringing my quad along . . . maybe make this an extended geocaching/ATVing event for me personally.

firefighterjake
05-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Hiram . . . quick question . . . did you bring the mascot along . . . and if so where are the pics? OK, that was actually two questions. . . .:D

Hiram357
05-28-2007, 10:29 PM

TL not TR

Great pics, great story (remind me to always volunteer to be the driver and provide the vehicle when we go out geocaching together by the way since most of your off-road geocachers result in repairs for some odd reason)

Ah yes, but half the adventure is in getting there, and if you don't venture somewhere just because it's not easy, well then, ya get stuck camping at places with rowdy river guides... :D

Hey Hiram . . . quick question . . . did you bring the mascot along . . . and if so where are the pics? OK, that was actually two questions. . . .:D

No, he stayed home for this one because 1) we were'nt really sure what was gunna go on this weekend and 2) I forgot him.... :o

Medawisla
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM

We're talking 21st-22nd of July in the "RE: Tread Lightly 2007?" thread.

firefighterjake
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
We're talking 21st-22nd of July in the "RE: Tread Lightly 2007?" thread.

OK, I've marked it down in my Palm Pilot and on my calendar at work so this is now the official date for the event, right? :D

Hiram357
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
OK, I've marked it down in my Palm Pilot and on my calendar at work so this is now the official date for the event, right? :D

so far, rick and mike haven't commented yet

firefighterjake
05-30-2007, 07:57 PM

Hopefully we can get some of the other folks along for the ride as well . . . Brad, T2H, Dave1976, Dave-and-Gail, etc.

The G Team
05-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Our summer schedule is so up in the air, depending upon the status of the Jeep and available travel budget that I really can't commit. ASSuming that we are able to stick to our original plan of starting the Rubicon Trail on July 16th (3/4 day trip) then making our way back from Cali, it is highly unlikely I will be back by then (or if so, in any mood for more travel for a while). If circumstances arise and we do not make it all the way to Cali, then I might be able to.

Bottom line: please don't schedule around me--I'll go if I possibly can and if not, will be there next time.

hollora
05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the potential date - we will have to see when Baby Francis makes her arrival - a lot will depned upon that event.

Hiram357
05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Bottom line: please don't schedule around me--I'll go if I possibly can and if not, will be there next time.

Yeah, but I would like to pick a date that would work out for most people, it wouldn't be the same without all the ORCAs :D

Thanks for sharing the potential date - we will have to see when Baby Francis makes her arrival - a lot will depned upon that event.

Don't forget babies need sunshine too! and what better place to get it than the outdoors! ;)

attroll
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I am like Mike. My schedule is also so up in the air right now. I was told that we are working the next four Saturdays. I even had to pay someone to work the day of our event on the 9th so that I would not have to.

I would like to commit to it but as I posted to you. My truck is needing some fixing. I have a broken leaf spring and my 4 wheel drive shifting bracket broke. So until I can get that fixed I will not be able to do any off roading. I do not think I will be able to get it fixed before then. We are putting a lot of money into the event for next weekend and I will probably still be brake then.

firefighterjake
05-31-2007, 05:26 AM
"If you set a date, they will come . . . well not all of them, some of them may have other plans, but you get the idea." (with apologies to Field of Dreams.)

Hiram357
07-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Things are looking good so far, We have 2 cache locations for the event, we have tread lightly parofanailia for prizes, a pancake breakfast planned for sunday... but I was thinkin, does anyone have wood?? (and a way to transport wood?) so that we can have some stuff to burn for the campfire?? (the wood at the campground is $5 a load, which gets spendy when people are sitting around the campfire with nothin better to do but burn stuff...) :D

and I got our tread lightly books in the mail yesterday, and I'm going to have some Geocaching Tread lightly pamphlets made up.

And I put in a pre-order for blue skies and sunshine for the weekend too.

Mainiac1957
07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
As far as if anyone has wood. I thought the question a little personal.:rolleyes: Oh by the way Dick's has those poles I was talking about. They adjust from 4 to 8 feet and would be perfect for the sheik's tent. They weren't to bad for cost either. See you in 3 weeks.:cool:

Hiram357
07-10-2007, 07:49 PM
As far as if anyone has wood. I thought the question a little personal.:rolleyes: Oh by the way Dick's has those poles I was talking about. They adjust from 4 to 8 feet and would be perfect for the sheik's tent. They weren't to bad for cost either. See you in 3 weeks.:cool:

wood... dicks... adjustable poles... sheik tents... whose the pot callin the kettle black... :D :p ;) :rolleyes:

attroll
07-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Arron

I still have not gotten my truck fixed yet. Do you still have room for an extra person in you jeep?

Hiram357
07-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Arron

I still have not gotten my truck fixed yet. Do you still have room for an extra person in you jeep?

well... i could make my invisible friends sit on the roof... so, yeah, I've still got room. :D

firefighterjake
07-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Things are looking good so far, We have 2 cache locations for the event, we have tread lightly parofanailia for prizes, a pancake breakfast planned for sunday... but I was thinkin, does anyone have wood?? (and a way to transport wood?) so that we can have some stuff to burn for the campfire?? (the wood at the campground is $5 a load, which gets spendy when people are sitting around the campfire with nothin better to do but burn stuff...) :D

and I got our tread lightly books in the mail yesterday, and I'm going to have some Geocaching Tread lightly pamphlets made up.

And I put in a pre-order for blue skies and sunshine for the weekend too.

Wicked!

Hopefully I'll pick up some more prizes this weekend to add to your pile of loot . . . and I think I can supply and bring the wood since I was thinking about trailering my ATV and/or canoe and/or kayak. Just give me a reminder early in the week. And I'm with you on buying wood . . . I have yet to break down and buy camp wood . . . it just doesn't seem natural.

Hiram357
07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Wicked!

Hopefully I'll pick up some more prizes this weekend to add to your pile of loot . . . and I think I can supply and bring the wood since I was thinking about trailering my ATV and/or canoe and/or kayak. Just give me a reminder early in the week. And I'm with you on buying wood . . . I have yet to break down and buy camp wood . . . it just doesn't seem natural.

sounds good to me! (even if we have to buy wood, their $5 bundles is a a wheelbarrow full of hardwood, not like most campgrounds where you spend $5 and get a 2ft cord of latice wood...) :D

firefighterjake
07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
sounds good to me! (even if we have to buy wood, their $5 bundles is a a wheelbarrow full of hardwood, not like most campgrounds where you spend $5 and get a 2ft cord of latice wood...) :D

No, no, no . . . it's the principle of the thing . . . there's always plenty of free wood around . . . sometimes you just may have to walk a little for it and it may only be dead branches that burn up in 5 minutes but I just can't handle paying for something that is all around us.

That said, trust me . . . I'll bring enough to last us for quite a while! :D You know how us firefighters are . . .

Hiram357
07-11-2007, 08:07 AM
No, no, no . . . it's the principle of the thing . . . there's always plenty of free wood around . . . sometimes you just may have to walk a little for it and it may only be dead branches that burn up in 5 minutes but I just can't handle paying for something that is all around us.

That said, trust me . . . I'll bring enough to last us for quite a while! :D You know how us firefighters are . . .

no comment... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hiram357
07-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Arron

we're goin up on friday evening, would you want to drive up this way and carpool from here?

Mainiac1957
07-11-2007, 08:04 PM
You must be planning on him riding on the roof rack. I've seen the back of your truck. It was a little busy the other weekend what with all the camping stuff and spare Jeep parts.

Hiram357
07-11-2007, 09:12 PM
You must be planning on him riding on the roof rack. I've seen the back of your truck. It was a little busy the other weekend what with all the camping stuff and spare Jeep parts.

no, the seat goes up and the roof rack comes into play, it actually worked out well last year when rick, mike, and i all went up to the county event (and i had even more stuff than i do now in the back)

The G Team
07-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Assuming the Jeep is mobile (and I think it will be) I may have a seat or two available as well. Brought the 33s home and just let me say that it looks like the Sawzall will be getting a workout to make 'em fit in the fenders.

Hiram357
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Assuming the Jeep is mobile (and I think it will be) I may have a seat or two available as well. Brought the 33s home and just let me say that it looks like the Sawzall will be getting a workout to make 'em fit in the fenders.

just remember to keep it street legal.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The G Team
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
just remember to keep it street legal.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wellllllllll--the new law says tires only 2 tire sizes over stock, so I guess I'll be keeping the 235s for "that time of the year". We'll rework the flairs so the 33s will be covered, so hopefully we won't get hasseled while on the road. :D

attroll
07-12-2007, 12:04 AM
we're goin up on friday evening, would you want to drive up this way and carpool from here?
If your going up on Friday evening then it looks like I will not make this event unless I might be able to find anothe ride. Unless you willing to leave after midnight when I get out of work?

Hiram357
07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
If your going up on Friday evening then it looks like I will not make this event unless I might be able to find anothe ride. Unless you willing to leave after midnight when I get out of work?

hmmm... i think after midnight might be a lil too late... so that leaves you with the options of riding with mike or jake...(i'd try for mike...) or there's HappyTogether, he lives in bath, you could ask him too. (he has homebrew)

firefighterjake
07-12-2007, 08:00 AM
hmmm... i think after midnight might be a lil too late... so that leaves you with the options of riding with mike or jake...(i'd try for mike...) or there's HappyTogether, he lives in bath, you could ask him too. (he has homebrew)

I'm planning on heading up Friday morning (caching along the way) so I'm afraid I can't offer Rick a ride . . . well I mean I could offer him a ride, but it looks like he will not be able to take advantage of the offer.

Incidentally, how many cords of wood do you suppose we need? ;) :D

Also, is there anything I should know/tell the folks at the Campground since it sounds as though I may get there before you.

Finally, if anyone is interested I will have plenty of space in the 4Runner if anyone needs a ride there or a ride once you get there.

The G Team
07-12-2007, 08:07 AM

I don't think I would have a prob leaving Saturday, Rick. My only caveat at all is the remote possibility that the Jeep is not ready. I think we'll be good to go, but there may be bugs to work out after all the work that has been done. I should know better next week.

attroll
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't think I would have a prob leaving Saturday, Rick. My only caveat at all is the remote possibility that the Jeep is not ready. I think we'll be good to go, but there may be bugs to work out after all the work that has been done. I should know better next week.

Thanks Mike. I am still not 100% sure I am going yet. The only thing that will hold me up is if I have to work. We are still to far out for me to kow that yet. I will let you know when we get closer.

Hiram357
07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm planning on heading up Friday morning (caching along the way) so I'm afraid I can't offer Rick a ride . . . well I mean I could offer him a ride, but it looks like he will not be able to take advantage of the offer.

Incidentally, how many cords of wood do you suppose we need? ;) :D

Also, is there anything I should know/tell the folks at the Campground since it sounds as though I may get there before you.

Finally, if anyone is interested I will have plenty of space in the 4Runner if anyone needs a ride there or a ride once you get there.

Well, as you go into the campsite, the road (the only road) takes you right to the office, go inside and tell the manager (the lady that lives there) charolette, that you are with Mr. McGarvey in suite #1 (or just tell her your with aaron way in the back...)

I'd say 3 cords should get us through the first night... :rolleyes: (just kiddin, but keep in mind, well be stayin 2 nights, and usin it to cook over, and also that stef is a pyro...) :D

Do what I do... carry lots of tools and spare parts... :D