View Full Version : Minimum cache separation

Sudonim
05-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I had thought that the closest 2 caches could be is 1/10 mile apart (528 feet), but I just saw two in Rangely that are only 193 feet apart, and they are both active. How does that happen?
GC4E50 Overlook
GCWZAB Rangeley Overlook

brdad
05-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Because one is a virtual and for a while you could place a physical cache within .1 mile of a virtual.

Cache Maine
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I adopted one of those and had that same concern....thanks for clearing that up Brdad.

brdad
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Incedently, when you create a multicache, if you make the stages "Stages of a multi", those stages will be treated like caches and no one will be able to place a cache within .1 mile of it. If you make them "Questions to answer", they will be treated like the virts we are discussing and a cache can be placed within the limits.

Obviously if the stages are physical, you should choose the "Stages of a multi" option, but if they are virtual type stages you may choose to do either.

Sudonim
05-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Cool, and now I know :)

firefighterjake
05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Cool, and now I know :)

"And knowing is half the battle. . . . (cue music) G.E.O. Joe." (with apologies to Hasbro and the G.I. Joe franchise.);) :D

tat
05-30-2007, 07:51 PM
There are 2 caches in Kansas that were placed on the same day and seem to have slipped through the cracks.

kayakerinme
05-30-2007, 07:55 PM
On occasion, physical caches can be closer than the .1 guideline. We had one on Portland's Western Prom where there two caches much closer than .1 miles apart. But there was a huge hill in between and the cache owners convinced GPSFun that they could not be mistaken (he verified with a couple of us in the Portland area before approving). In such cases where there is a physical separation where the cacher will not likely confuse the two caches, they can be approved. Like just about everything geocaching, .1 is a guideline not a hard rule.

hollora
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
This is all good information. Thanks for sharing and the discussion.

hide_from_the_kids
06-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I was wondering about this as I live in a river corridor and short of a boat and a good landing spot (which are several miles apart) it would be difficult to get back and forth and was wondering if caches could be placed on either side of a river.

Haffy
06-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Sure as long as the reviewer knows about it he usually will make an exception to the guideline. That's all they are is guidlines, nothing in stone so to speak.