View Full Version : Kayak Kaching 2007

kayakerinme
06-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I had initially thought I would be able to have this summer's kayak event in Stonington on the weekend of July 28. Turns out, I have photography committments for a 50th wedding anniversary that weekend and won't be able to go north that weekend after all.

That leaves just one weekend the rest of the summer for me to host the event - August 11th. I'd like to determine if there's enough interest in having the event on Saturday, 8/11. We'd be having the site on Friday night and Saturday night for those that want to camp on either or both nights.

If you'd like to attend the kayak event on 8/11, please post a reply to the thread along with what you might do for camping. This is not a committment on your part, just an indication of interest.

If another weekend works better for everyone, then by all means, please move the event but we'll have to have another host (which is okay by me, just so you know...)

Thanks, Barry

Team2hunt
06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I have nothing on my calender for the 11th. I'd be coming up on Saturday some time around noon. And camping over til Sunday. Gotta have some of that special kayak event cheese dip ;) and the breakfast the next morning.

Mainiac1957
06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Bummer, I just committed to that date tonight. No problem though. I 'll get there another time. It's all good.

Hiram357
06-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Bummer, I just committed to that date tonight. No problem though. I 'll get there another time. It's all good.

It's ok Brad, now we can set the TL 2007 to the weekend of the 28th, so you can mark that one on your calendar, and bring your kyak to that one. (the campground we plan to stay at it on pleasant lake, very nice paddling, when stef and I were there memorial weekend, a loon came right up under our canoe) :D

Mainiac1957
06-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Post it and I will come to the TL. Another sighting of the elusive FFJ is rumored to be in the planning.:rolleyes: How could I miss that.:p

Mainiac1957
06-06-2007, 06:42 AM
I think I helped hijack this thread. But I had help damn it!!:eek:

tat
06-06-2007, 07:01 AM
I sure do hope to make it, and that date may be even better than the July date.

Hiram357
06-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I think I helped hijack this thread. But I had help damn it!!:eek:

don't point the finger at me... you started it. :p ;)

hollora
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
The weekend in August works for me. I am sure it would work for FrancisFamily too as the baby will be older. We would be coming for Friday and Saturday night. Just let us know if it is a go.

Thanks for your efforts on this one.

d’76
06-06-2007, 02:44 PM
The weekend in August works for me. I am sure it would work for FrancisFamily too as the baby will be older. We would be coming for Friday and Saturday night. Just let us know if it is a go.

Thanks for your efforts on this one.

I'm sure with that we have here in this website we could figure out a way to mount a car seat to the kayak and the little one could join us. LOL

hollora
06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
You guys are great and yes, the bambino will have a PFD ASAP after birth (we just need the weight). LOL!

Francis Family
06-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Hello all... actually an August event works much better for us... probably will not kayak this year but will gladly attend and could cook for the party!?!

Cache Maine
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Just curious about this event....I was looking at Tat's MaineTrek Itinerary and thought it might be cool to meet up with him for this event at one of his stops...Here's a link to his plans (http://maineindymedia.org/usermedia/application/8/maine_trek_-_tom_tieman_-_itinerary.doc).

Team2hunt
07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
It's funny how some of us, (me included) can dance around the commitment for an event. I just wanted to bring this back up so we might get another head count for the paddle in Stonington weekend. My calendar is still open for the weekend of August 11th. I'll be coming alone..1manteam dislikes the ocean even more than I. So Friday pm might be a possibility, but definitely camping Saturday.

becket
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
i may be able to get there - but probably won't be kayaking! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

hollora
07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Bec and I are still planning on this even through Amara has not yet arrived. Unless something goes wrong, I am planning on coming down - probably for Friday and Saturday because if I am going camping - like let's do it. I don't have a kayak any more so would not be able to join in that fun. (unless someone has an extra)

Becca is planning on cooking, I know. There are loads of caches in Stonington for landlubbers - and some new ones too.

Noticed Sloop Island was recently disabled as gone but was going to be reactivated.......(it never had a FTF). I haven't checked out TAT's itinerary but will do so.

Count me in and probably Francis Family (maybe all 3 of them).

Do we each need to individually contact the camp ground? Barry - just let us know. Thanks for your efforts on this one! Hope we can keep it alive!

kayakerinme
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I went to take pictures yesterday at the Maine State Sailing Championships at Portland Yacht Club. It was supposed to be a one day gig, and then someone else was supposed to come today. As it turns out, I apparently did some good work because we got two more engagements for sure and one more that's probable. And they wanted me to come back today instead of the other guy. Today was a bust though as the races were canceled for a lack of wind.

Unfortunately, one of these engagements is the weekend of 8/11 and 8/12. I'm now committed to that.

I haven't contacted the campground as the numbers just didn't seem to materialize like Gary and I were thinking they might during our travels to GW5. I can contact Old Quarry and get one of the two group sites but I need to know how many are for each night. We can always pay for more (you'll have to square up with the folks there on the weekend) and we can shift folks from one night to another but I'd rather not overpay and over-reserve.

Please post a note specifying if you'll be camping Friday night, Saturday night, both, or just kayaking or attending the dinner on Saturday night (the real event). I'll post the event in the next 27 hours and hopefully gpsfun will be able to publish it.

Thanks, Barry

Mainiac1957
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I guess I hadn't heard for sure that it was going to be on the 11/12th. I too have a commitment that weekend. Any chance you'd want to move it to the following weekend? Maybe you can make that one as well as myself. Just a greedy thought on my part. I missed last year and was hoping I could make this one. Just not enough days in the calender unfortunately.

hollora
07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
You name the weekend and we will come - if you can't make it the 11th and 12th what about the weekend after?

Give me the date and I will let you know. Either the 11th and 12th or the 18th & 19th. Plan on going down Friday & staying Saturday - let Quarry know and I will pay when I arrive. Both Francis Family and me (I will take a chance they are able to come).

Thanks for all you do on this one.

tat
07-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Count me in. I'll probably have to "portage" a bit, but Deer Isle is worth it.

I sure hope Sloop Island is back!

hollora
07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Tat - let us know if we can put up a tent for you on Friday so you can "take it easy" for the event. Yeah - Sloop Island sounded like fun.

Safe journey friend!

kayakerinme
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I guess I hadn't heard for sure that it was going to be on the 11/12th. I too have a commitment that weekend. Any chance you'd want to move it to the following weekend? Maybe you can make that one as well as myself. Just a greedy thought on my part. I missed last year and was hoping I could make this one. Just not enough days in the calender unfortunately.

August 11th was the only weekend that worked for me. July weekends are full, the Great Northern Tier event is the following weekend, and football begins the weekend after.

Brad, if you want to host the event the following weekend, you're welcome to do so. I can still make arrangements with the campground but I won't be able to be there.

Kaching Karen
07-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I'll never get to one of these. I will be hiking on the 11th - 12th and then a sprint-triathlon the following weekend.

robt
07-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Hmm, sounds like fun, I think I am clear on that weekend and would love to go. The only problem I am going to have is that I still do not have a kayak :) But would go anyway. We need some land based caching durring the event :)