View Full Version : Rendez-vous Quebec 8/2/2008

Cache Maine
06-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Our friends, Moustik et HBK emailed and wanted us to let everyone know about a possible mega event cache in Quebec City on August 2, 2008. If they get 650 preregisters for the event, Groundspeak will convert it to a mega event.

If you would like more info, the organization committee has a website (http://www.aggrq.com/quebec2008/en/index.htm).

Quebec City is about 237 miles out of Bangor, so this is quite close. Maine should have a good showing here!

You might have met Moustik et HBK at the Maine Pirate Event last March. They were also at GW5.

hollora
06-12-2007, 05:17 PM
OK CM - far enough away that pre-registration works for me. Hope some of the GW5 group consider going up for this. It would be a cool road trip.

WhereRWe?
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh, Sheesh! Since the event in Nova Scotia is also in August, we have to make a decision as we plan to make only one "away trip" per month! LOL! Well... We're going to Quebec on vacation next week, right through Quebec City, so I'm kinda leaning towards Nova Scotia. Yup. Better count us out on this one! LOL!

Beach Comber
06-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Ahhhhhh, but you may be able to go after all - the event Cameo mentioned is in 2008!

hollora
06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I made the mistake of which year at first. Planning for 2008 is unbelievable but fun. It like gives us goals and the like.

These folks who invited us to attend came to Maine for the Pirate Event - let's support them if we can in 2008! Beachie - thanks for pointing this out. Wonder if they will have a vert and rouge door?

Mainiac1957
06-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm just afraid I won't have any money left to go after GW6. I guess I'll have to plan ahead. I was planning on getting my passport by then anyway.

Beach Comber
06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I was planning on getting my passport by then anyway.

You better apply soon - I learned on NPR the other day that applications are taking a very long time to process - months and months and months. I guess I should find mine and have it updated.

hollora
06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Everyone of us should get a passport.........renewal or new. It is well worth the wait.

We would not want to be restricted should a super caching opportunity be presented. I have had mine for a while and certainly know it afforded, even before 9/11, a smooth transistion at airports.

Also, you can use a digital photo that meets their regs, crop it to a printed 2" x 2" and they will take it as long as it is clear. I took my husband's photo as he didn't want to pay to have one done.

Also health wise - don't forget to boost your Tetnus vaccine if not current and make sure other things are up to date. There was an area of Canada that just had a very recent outbreak of mumps - certainly, where it is vaccine preventable, not something one of us older than a kid needs today.

FYI - there is a way to do an expedited passport but it does cost more.........doesn't everything today? Also, if you have a current passport - check the expiration date and Do Not let it expire! Renew it before it expires as if you don't it will cost you more too!

Northwoods Explorer
06-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Family member just got one and applied in early Jan. while just recieving it the other day, first of June. We were told at the time it would take two months, it took almost 6 months. They recently came to school to do passports for students and teachers as a group, now they are saying only it takes a long time. We cross several time per week and are discovering it is becoming more and more difficult on the Canadian side now also.:confused:

WhereRWe?
06-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Ahhhhhh, but you may be able to go after all - the event Cameo mentioned is in 2008!

Sheesh! I thought that was a typo! LOL!

Hiram357
06-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Family member just got one and applied in early Jan. while just recieving it the other day, first of June. We were told at the time it would take two months, it took almost 6 months. They recently came to school to do passports for students and teachers as a group, now they are saying only it takes a long time. We cross several time per week and are discovering it is becoming more and more difficult on the Canadian side now also.:confused:

On one hand it's a good thing that they're putting so much effort into the security of the country... on the other hand... can't they hire people that can multitask???? :D

Cache Maine
06-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm just afraid I won't have any money left to go after GW6. I guess I'll have to plan ahead. I was planning on getting my passport by then anyway.

We are also going to start this process as well, and had heard that it is taking a long time so it is smart to start now. They cost $97.00 the first time and are good for 10 years. For more information on obtaining a passport, follow this link (http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html).

WhereRWe?
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
We are also going to start this process as well, and had heard that it is taking a long time so it is smart to start now. They cost $97.00 the first time and are good for 10 years. For more information on obtaining a passport, follow this link (http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html).

We just got new passports, and offer this bit of advice: fill out your application online before you take it to the local passport agent. Several questions require information that you probably won't have with you if you're not prepared. :D :D

(We got our passport photos at the local Rite Aid - and sheesh! I'm surprised they were accepted! They are terrible! LOL!)

hollora
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Here is the web site for passport information - http://www.travel.state.gov/ and there is some way you can verify you have applied for one too.

WhereRWe?
06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Here is the web site for passport information - http://www.travel.state.gov/ and there is some way you can verify you have applied for one too.

Sheesh! Pay attention! That's the link Cache Maine already posted! LOL! :p :p

hollora
06-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Sheesh! Pay attention! That's the link Cache Maine already posted! LOL! :p :p

Oppps, sorry, sleeping on the keyboard and she had more extensions (on the address:) ).

There was just a special on TB about getting a refund, if you asked for expedited service because of travel where you need one, and will not need one now due to changes.

So, I'm asleep on the keyboard and you got awful pictures ..........:rolleyes:

OusKonNé
06-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Maine Geocachers!

The first pre-registration form that we got from the U.S. is from hollora.

Congratulations hollora!

And thanks also to Cache Maine and Northwoods Explorer for your pre-registrations.

About the new requirements for travelers between the United States and Canada, on our "Rendez-vous Québec 2008 (http://www.aggrq.com/quebec2008/)" website, we are thinking of adding a webpage specific to U.S. Citizens with contents like this:

U.S. Citizens

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and Canada

Effective January 23, 2007, all U.S. citizens traveling by air to and from Canada are required to have a valid passport to enter the United States.

As early as January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the United States and Canada by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

American citizen travelers are encouraged to apply for a U.S. passport or the passport card when it becomes available, well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on applying for a passport

Source: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html
Could that be useful for U.S. Geocachers who never came here in Canada?

Luc (OusKonNé)

Cache Maine
06-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Hi Maine Geocachers!

The first pre-registration form that we got from the U.S. is from hollora.

Congratulations hollora!

And thanks also to Cache Maine and Northwoods Explorer for your pre-registrations.

Luc (OusKonNé)

Fast fingers girl! Congrats. I tried to be first....but you beat me. And I'm the one that started this thread! That will teach me to hem and haw about going next time!

Cache Maine
06-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Could that be useful for U.S. Geocachers who never came here in Canada?

Luc (OusKonNé)

Yes, I think that would be useful. There is never too much information. We are excited about this event.

WhereRWe?
06-14-2007, 07:36 AM
OK - we're signed up. We can ALWAYS find an excuse to go to Canada! LOL!

Cache Maine
06-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Gary? Tom? Brad? Barry? Come on crew, let's get signed up...

Granted, it's a ways off but you can still sign up. :) We won't MAKE you go...right LA?

OusKonNé
06-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Fast fingers girl! Congrats. I tried to be first....but you beat me. And I'm the one that started this thread! That will teach me to hem and haw about going next time!After reading this, I double-checked the pre-inscription forms.

Well, I'm not very proud of myself!

Yes I did process the pre-inscription of hollora first, but the pre-inscription of Cache Maine got in half an hour before:
Cache Maine: 2007-06-12 16:51:26
hollora: 2007-06-12 17:20:20

Sorry for the confusion hollora and Cache Maine! It's my mistake.

Anyway, this is an Event, not a race, so congratulations to both of you.

And just before writing this message, I received the pre-inscription form of WhereRWe? & RULOST2?

Thanks!

OusKonNé
06-14-2007, 08:15 AM
...We're going to Quebec on vacation next week, right through Quebec City...Just before crossing the bridge to Québec City, may I suggest you one of my "must-visit" geocaches?

Les belvédères du parc des Chutes-de-la-Chaudière by OusKonNé & Cétyla (GC132QP)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC132QP

By the way, this is one the caches that I want to become bilingual before 2008.

Regards

Cache Maine
06-14-2007, 09:24 AM

Absolutely! But being first is still good too. I'm excited about this event. I think I already said that though!

Apologies to you Luc, I know you have been a member here for a while...as part of the organization committee, I bet you had already planned on posting something here on the forums about the event....and here I go, jumping right in!

hollora
06-14-2007, 09:37 AM

Granted, it's a ways off but you can still sign up. :) We won't MAKE you go...right LA?

You are right - we won't make them go but we might ask to borrow the GSAK filter!:p

hollora
06-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Absolutely! But being first is still good too. I'm excited about this event. I think I already said that though!

Apologies to you Luc, I know you have been a member here for a while...as part of the organization committee, I bet you had already planned on posting something here on the forums about the event....and here I go, jumping right in!

It's not a race - that's true and getting the information out is what counts too - not who posted first.:)

WhereRWe?
06-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Just before crossing the bridge to Québec City, may I suggest you one of my "must-visit" geocaches?

Les belvédères du parc des Chutes-de-la-Chaudière by OusKonNé & Cétyla (GC132QP)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC132QP

OK - thanks. We're coming through next Friday. We'll wave as we go by! LOL!

hollora
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
After reading this, I double-checked the pre-inscription forms.

Well, I'm not very proud of myself!

Yes I did process the pre-inscription of hollora first, but the pre-inscription of Cache Maine got in half an hour before:
Cache Maine: 2007-06-12 16:51:26
hollora: 2007-06-12 17:20:20

Sorry for the confusion hollora and Cache Maine! It's my mistake.

And just before writing this message, I received the pre-inscription form of WhereRWe? & RULOST2?

Thanks!

Heee, heee, heeee - Cache Maine beat me - well it will be a road trip regardless! Good Going CM!

Cache Maine
06-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Heee, heee, heeee - Cache Maine beat me - well it will be a road trip regardless! Good Going CM!

You betcha! Anybody checked the cache concentration around QC yet?

brdad
06-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Someone should find Touché-Coulé (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=018bae27-4af8-480e-a2aa-08595246cdfc) (GCGYC4) by Marmacette (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=09b8695f-0121-40b8-9164-843d7a9c5f87&wid=018bae27-4af8-480e-a2aa-08595246cdfc&ds=2) (4/2) while up there. It is a clone of my You Sank My Battleship! cache. We had some fun translating back and forth, but she did a good job and it looks like people enjoy it.

WhereRWe?
06-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Sheesh! HUNDREDS of caches within a 10-mile radius of Quebec City - and I just used a difficulty/terrain of 2.5! LOL!

Sudonim
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Pedalchick and I were up there in Feb. and it sure is tough finding caches under the snow! There are quite a few in the city and there are plenty of walking paths. Very pretty spot to visit.

kayakerinme
06-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Oh go ahead, MAKE us :p

I was reading this and wondering how anyone was going to get a mega event in the cold depths of the winter in Quebec - I thought the date was d/m/y. Now that I've figured out it's actually August, I've put it on my calendar for next summer and will plan around it. Best I can do at the moment!

OusKonNé
06-21-2007, 10:35 PM
No problem Cache Maine!

I was happy when I saw your post, an announcement wrote by a Maine geocacher for Maine geocachers.

But as a matter of fact, we had a text to post as an official announcement on non-francophone forums. We were waiting for the final translation in English. We even had 2 different versions of the announcement. The first one in a more "traditional" style of writing, and the second one in a more, let's say "punchy", style of writing. I'll let you chose which one you prefer...

Dear geocachers,

Québec City will be celebrating its 400th anniversary in the summer of 2008. For this occasion, the "Amicale des Géocacheurs de la Grande Région de Québec" (AGGRQ) and the "Association Géocaching Québec" (AGQ) have the pleasure to invite you to a monster get-together for geocachers on August 2nd 2008 in Québec City, Canada.

In the past, several Geocaching Events were held in Québec. In honour of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Québec City, we are going ahead and organizing an Event on an international scale.

In this mindset, Groundspeak gave us a great challenge: If we manage to reach the goal of 650 "Will attend", Groundspeak intends to change the status of our Event to the rare and prestigious status of "Mega-Event", which would be a first in Canada.

While waiting for the publication of the Event on geocaching.com, we invite you to pre-register now by filling in the Online Pre-registration Form available on our new website "Rendez-vous Québec 2008":

http://www.aggrq.com/quebec2008/

Thanks for helping us reach the challenge launched by Groundspeak and happy geocaching!

Your organizing committee
:rolleyes:

Here ye! Here ye! Here ye! Geocachers

Quebec City will be celebrating its 400th anniversary in 2008. For this occasion l'Amicale de la Grande Région de Québec (AGGRQ) has joined up with l'Association Géocaching Québec (AGQ) and have the pleasure to invite you to a monster get-together for geocachers on August 2nd 2008 in Quebec City, Canada.

In the past, we have organized quite a number of Events in Quebec but for the 400th anniversary of Quebec City we are planning a huge International Event. Now you don't want to miss that, do you?

Groudspeak is challenging us to meet the goal of 650 "Will Attend" and if we do, it will be declared a "Mega Event" - a first in Canada. Now what about that!

While you wait for the publication of the Event on geocaching.com why not pre-register now on our brand new site "Rendez-Vous Québec 2008".

http://www.aggrq.com/quebec2008/

Thanks for helping us reach our goal of 650 "Will Attend". We'll be waiting for you and Bienvenue à Québec.

Your organizing committee
:D

Now, your first French lesson. ;)

French abbreviations used in the logbooks:
PAT: Premier à trouver (FTF)
RP: Rien pris (TN)
RL: Rien laissé (LN)
RPRL: Rien pris, rien laissé (TNLN)
SL: Signé le log (SL)
MPLC: Merci pour la cache (TFTC)

And sometimes:
DAT: Deuxième à trouver (STF)
TAT: Troisième à trouver (TTF)

Happy Geocaching!

Cache Maine
06-22-2007, 05:49 AM
No problem Cache Maine!

I was happy when I saw your post, an announcement wrote by a Maine geocacher for Maine geocachers.

But as a matter of fact, we had a text to post as an official announcement on non-francophone forums. We were waiting for the final translation in English. We even had 2 different versions of the announcement. The first one in a more "traditional" style of writing, and the second one in a more, let's say "punchy", style of writing. I'll let you chose which one you prefer...

:rolleyes:

:D

Now, your first French lesson. ;)

French abbreviations used in the logbooks:
PAT: Premier à trouver (FTF)
RP: Rien pris (TN)
RL: Rien laissé (LN)
RPRL: Rien pris, rien laissé (TNLN)
SL: Signé le log (SL)
MPLC: Merci pour la cache (TFTC)

And sometimes:
DAT: Deuxième à trouver (STF)
TAT: Troisième à trouver (TTF)

Happy Geocaching!

Woo hoo! I'll have those down before I go! I'm excited about this trip. On a side note, we did the passport process yesterday. Pretty painless really. We had pictures taken at AAA, 8.00 each for members and then zipped over to the post office. There are huge benefits to filling out the form online then printing it....it was a breeze. We have bets in as to when we will see anything in return.

A few tips:

-For the ones that have never had a passport, your original birth certificate is sent along with your application and returned with the passport.

-If you have a passport and it is expired, still bring it with you. That will make life much easier, and they will not need your birth certificate. If your old passport is lost and expired, you will need to fill out the "lost" form.

-Do not sign the application until you are at the post office, you must take an oath.

-Bring your driver's license and make sure they are current (addresses).

-Bring name change information if you have changed your name.

-Roughly three weeks after submission, you can check status of your application at the passport website.

Hope this helps!

hollora
06-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Cameo - we nominate you for GCM Official Travel Agent! Great job!

Cache Maine
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I do what I can.... :)

WhereRWe?
06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
We have bets in as to when we will see anything in return.

It took our passports almost exactly 10 weeks. :( :(

And as for bringing expired passports, we were told that since our old ones expired more than 10 years ago, we could not use them. :( :(

Cache Maine
06-22-2007, 10:30 AM

And as for bringing expired passports, we were told that since our old ones expired more than 10 years ago, we could not use them. :( :(

That is correct, however, it makes getting a new one much easier since they can validate your info using the previous passports id number. In our case, CM2's old passport was sent along with the application in place of his birth certificate.

Also, if you show up without your expired one, they will make you fill out the "lost passport" form....

Did you just get your passports back recently or was that a while ago?

Sudonim
06-22-2007, 10:50 AM

(

I hope mine only takes 10 weeks. I applied at the end of May and REALLY need it by the end of September.:o

Cache Maine
06-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I hope mine only takes 10 weeks. I applied at the end of May and REALLY need it by the end of September.:o

They won't let you leave, you know too much! :)

WhereRWe?
06-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Also, if you show up without your expired one, they will make you fill out the "lost passport" form....

Did you just get your passports back recently or was that a while ago?

We didn't have to fill out another form - the clerk just checked the "other" block on the application, with reason "unable to locate".

And I think we got them back the first week of April, or somewhere around there, and we applied mid-January.

OusKonNé
06-25-2007, 09:20 PM
...About the new requirements for travelers between the United States and Canada, on our "Rendez-vous Québec 2008 (http://www.aggrq.com/quebec2008/)" website, we are thinking of adding a webpage specific to U.S. Citizens...
Webpage added:
http://www.aggrq.com/quebec2008/en/us_citizens.htm

Regards

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
All pre-registered. Looking forward to bringing the 2 youngest trezurs to a truly great city. And get some geocaching in too....LOL

jim52
06-27-2007, 01:45 AM
I plan on being there, hope to see you all there also.

Cache Maine
08-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Passport Update!

I applied on June 20 and received mine today, August 17. That makes it 8 weeks, 2 days from dropping it off in Bangor to receiving it back in the mail.

So much for it taking over 12 weeks! :)

Now I'm a happy International Camper! Woo hoo!

Cache Maine
08-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Did you get it?

Sudonim
08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Did you get it?

Yup, I spent the EXTRA $75.00 to speed things up:mad:
but I got it:D

Cache Maine
08-17-2007, 08:06 PM
ohhh....how long did it take for expedited service?

Sudonim
08-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I can't remember how much faster it was supposed to be, but 3 weeks after I called and paid the extra, I had passport in hand.

OusKonNé
12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Hi geo-neighbors !

Canada's first Mega-Event was published this evening:
Rendez-vous Québec 2008
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC17PMY

Unbelievable!

On June 10, 2006, we launched our new Website Rendez-vous Québec 2008 and invited all geocachers to pre-register for the Event. Each pre-registration was considered as an eventual "Will attend".

Five months later, more than 540 pre-registrations have been received thereby enabling us to go ahead with our "Mega-Event".

Thanks to all the geocachers who pre-registered!

Now it's time to register your "Will attend" on geocaching.com

By the way, please note the new URL address:
http://www.RendezVousQuebec2008.com

Best regards,

Luc (OusKonNé), for the organizing committee :)

Cache Maine
12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Very exciting! I can't wait!

tat
12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Nothing scheduled for August 2nd yet! This sure would be a lot easier to get to than California!!

Team2hunt
12-02-2007, 10:10 AM
This event will be much easier to attend, and my vacation is that week too. Looking forward to coming.

hollora
12-02-2007, 05:12 PM
All registered as "will attend" - can't wait!

dubord207
12-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Count Dianne and me in!!! We love Quebec City. Right now it's pretty expensive (beaucoup d'argent) due to the exchange rate, but if you stay a few miles out form city central, there are some real deals. Besides, great food, Mt Morency Falls.....Tabacknac....let's go today!

hollora
12-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Count Dianne and me in!!! We love Quebec City. Right now it's pretty expensive (beaucoup d'argent) due to the exchange rate, but if you stay a few miles out form city central, there are some real deals. Besides, great food, Mt Morency Falls.....Tabacknac....let's go today!

Don't forget to go to the event page (it's posted and there's a link in this thread above) and post your intentions. They need to know on their page for planning.

Also - keep watching as they will probably have a site open for event registrations and the like. Always nice to have more cachers on board to represent Maine at a MegaEvent!

WhereRWe?
12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Always nice to have more cachers on board to represent Maine at a MegaEvent!

Yup! Those of us who went to GeoWoodstock 5 in North Carolina this spring had a great time. Do we still have the filter? ;) ;)

Team2hunt
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Yup! Those of us who went to GeoWoodstock 5 in North Carolina this spring had a great time. Do we still have the filter? ;) ;)

Do we still have the filter............:eek: :p Yup!

It will be in attendance. I wonder if it speaks French?

Cache Maine
12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
LOL..what's the phrase? Pardon my French....

I sure hope the filter gets a tune up, we will need it!

Dubord207....can you tell us some of the deals? We are interested!

hollora
12-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Yes, Dubord207........Cache Maine finds deals......and shares them too! Do tell.

Team2hunt
12-07-2007, 11:07 AM
The last time I was in Quebec it was cooooold!! Brrrrr....like 2 degrees with wind chills at -20 at night. And then there was the parking issues...:p

Anyone going that would be interested in camping? :cool:

accrocher par un feu de camp et boire et dire cachant des histoires.

hollora
12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Depends on travel arrangements.........but, I do love to sit by a campfire, enjoy Canadian Beer! and tell stories.........as long as you have the filter LOL!

Hopefully they will have the camping information posted soon.

WhereRWe?
12-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Anyone going that would be interested in camping? :cool:

RULOST2? and I will probably take our pop-up and spend 3-4 days. There are a LOT of caches in the area... :D :D

dubord207
12-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Most of the American chains have hotels in Quebec. There are Hamptons and there are Econolodges, all clean and heck of lot less than the places located near Centre Ville. You can go online with ChoiceHotels.com for Econolodge, Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn. There are also a lot of smaller inns that are close to downtown that are also nice. Hotel Grande Allee comes to mind. It's next to the Loew's Concorde, quaint, a little lean for parking, but a great location. I'll put a little more thought into this when I have more time. Big party here at the Dubord's this weekend. The real message is Quebec is a beautiful city, like being in Europe and there are deals if you know where to look. I can imagine there's a lot of great caches on Isle D'orleans and near the Mont Morency falls and park.

Cache Maine
12-11-2007, 08:10 AM
If there is anyone out there that is seriously considering the thought of attending this event and would like to work together on planning with others, please email or PM me and let me know. The ones that I have already talked to can disregard. :) Quebec, here we come!

Katadin Goddess
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
i would like to plan with others who would like to go to the quebec event and either have room in a vehicle, or want to share a camp site, or hotel where people will stay at (i dont mind getting my own room). i can take my jeep and someone is welcome to ride along with me. at most, if i take my jeep, although it seats 4 people, that wont be the case with additional items.

contact me via email at mescorpian@gwi.net

hollora
05-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Just received registration materials via email for the event. The form for your name tag and things.

It appears there will be activities on Friday night for those of us who make it up by then. Not sure if they will make this into or publish Friday night as an event.

Saturday it looks like at noon we are on our own for lunch. The cafeteria is going to be open but they ask you to register for the meal (which you will pay for at the cafe). Also they are offering meals (preregistration) at the cafe Sat. breakfast, Sat. supper and Sunday AM breakfast.

Have filled out my registration but not committed for meals yet. Thought I would wait and see what others are doing.

Their on-line store is open too.

Bringing the Ez-E-Up for us Maine folks to have a meeting spot. Maybe Mainiac1957 still has the flag from GW5. I am sure Mainiac1957 will have some thoughts when he returns from GW6.

Cache Maine
06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Just a reminder, ff there is anyone out there that is seriously considering the thought of attending this event and would like to work together on planning with others, please email or PM me and let me know. The ones that I have already talked to can disregard.

hollora
06-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Also we should note, there has been a slight change of venue to a new location. If I remember correctly about 1 kilometer away.

Cache Maine
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Woo hoo! We are here! More updates soon

WhereRWe?
08-03-2008, 02:22 PM
We're back! Just got a glimpse of a few of the other Mainers at the event - must have been the call of the cache that took them away. Anyway, RULOST2? were the only Mainers on "Team Maine" for the International Cache Hunt. They teamed us up with a couple of nice girls from Massachusetts to allow us to field a full 4-person team. We're not sure yet how we did - we were the first team out (helped to know one of the event organizers - my namesake, OusKonNé), with other teams released every 12 minutes. Rulost2? and I found 3 of 5 of our caches, and our partners found 2 of 5 of theirs. We got extra points for getting back on time (with 1 hour), extra points for finding an extra "cache" on the trail, and extra points for finding the "bonus cache" and figuring out the combination to the lock to get it open. The results of the competition are supposed to be on the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 website (http://rendezvousquebec2008.com/beta2/index.php?lang=english).

It was a very well organized event and we had a great time.

hollora
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
We're back! Just got a glimpse of a few of the other Mainers at the event - must have been the call of the cache that took them away. Anyway, RULOST2? were the only Mainers on "Team Maine" for the International Cache Hunt. They teamed us up with a couple of nice girls from Massachusetts to allow us to field a full 4-person team. We're not sure yet how we did - we were the first team out (helped to know one of the event organizers - my namesake, OusKonNé), with other teams released every 12 minutes. Rulost2? and I found 3 of 5 of our caches, and our partners found 2 of 5 of theirs. We got extra points for getting back on time (with 1 hour), extra points for finding an extra "cache" on the trail, and extra points for finding the "bonus cache" and figuring out the combination to the lock to get it open. The results of the competition are supposed to be on the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 website (http://rendezvousquebec2008.com/beta2/index.php?lang=english).

It was a very well organized event and we had a great time.

Thank you Bruce and Theresa for being there to do this run! And to those teamed up with you!:D

There was not a lot of information about this event available to those of us who arrived early. Nor were any details on their web site.

As most of us were there on Friday night and from early on Saturday morning, they knew Maine folks were there.

Yes, some of us decided to be off for more cache (we had done some Friday night). Caching and networking and we had been there Saturday early to network - as well as Friday night.;)

I was one of the fortunate ones to see you arrive and be able to say HI.:) I do not think anyone who missed you did it intentionally.;) Most of the Maine people were on the venue by 9:00AM.:eek:

This was a great event but much different from other events we have attended. Again, thank you to those of you who participated as "Team Maine"!:)

WhereRWe?
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Thank you Bruce and Theresa for being there to do this run! And to those teamed up with you!:D

This was a great event but much different from other events we have attended. Again, thank you to those of you who participated as "Team Maine"!:)

I should have mentioned their names:

Boot Group (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=0640aece-47c2-41e9-afb3-766ad3403803) and Speedy 38 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=512cfde2-e89c-488f-8392-fa6f22d30575).

Neither of them are members of GCM.org - that I can see - but I gave them copies of our sig item, the Maine Geocacher Permit, which has the GCM.org website noted, and asked them to visit.

WhereRWe?
08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, some of us decided to be off for more cache (we had done some Friday night). Caching and networking and we had been there Saturday early to network - as well as Friday night.;)

We had camped about 30 miles away and did some caching on the way to the event. We logged about 10 "nano in a sign post" caches, had croissants and coffee at Tim Horton's, and then headed for the event.

hollora
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
We had camped about 30 miles away and did some caching on the way to the event. We logged about 10 "nano in a sign post" caches, had croissants and coffee at Tim Horton's, and then headed for the event.

Not to worry - it's the journey.:) Funny, the caches we found in Quebec - not one nano, sign post or guard rail.....but a lot of very interperative translating. Load of bottles in trees.;)

Glad you enjoyed the contest - sounded like fun and hey - first out of the post - Good Going!:D Also happy we did not miss you totally:( - that would have been a major bummer.

Cache on - cache happy!

WhereRWe?
08-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm very embarrassed to say that "Team Maine" came in LAST in the International Competition (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=609a0b7a-4814-42e5-9fdd-f767e9092a77) at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event.! LOL!

But in our defense...

1. There is an error in our score, which should have upped our score by 2 points (but still would have put us last).

2. As the chart shows, the first teams out - 1 to 5 - had the hardest time finding caches and all were at the bottom.. No "geotrails", no other cachers to follow. Each team was released 12 minutes apart, so later teams had a much better chance to find caches or follow someone else.

3. One member of the "B" Team of "Team Maine" was using a Magellan GPSr.

But it was a lot of fun! A lot like Mainiac1957's "cache dashe" caches at the Last Cache Bashe event.

dragonflys
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
It was nice to see Team Maine up there and the lobster necklaces were a hit. I'll be passing through at the end of the month so may see a couple of you then

df