View Full Version : The next Delorme Challenge....

tat
06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
As some of you already know, the Rescue Rangers have been working on a new cache series. Maine Natural and Unique Delorme College AS Degree Cache, GC13H9D has just been published!

Not long after I moved to Maine (over 30 years ago), I bought my first Delorme Atlas. Aside from the maps, the thing I liked most was the section describing the Natural and Unique Areas. It was the first time I'd ever heard of Gulf Hagas. My older brother and some friends took a motorcycle trip to see the gorge. Since then, I have tried to go to all of the Natural and Unique areas.

Now, there’s some added incentive!!

Currently, there are caches in 14 of the 70 areas. We are hoping that more caches will be placed. The cache idea specifically encourages EarthCaches as the some of the areas are quite sensitive.

Who will be first to complete this challenge! (On a side note, the words "complete" and "finish" are not mentioned in the cache, so feel free to celebrate your challenge any way you want!)

If you notice any errors or have any questions or suggestions, please let the Rescue_Rangers know.

Kaching Karen, Mainiac1957, tat, Team2hunt

kayakerinme
06-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Tom,

Congratulations on getting this published! I know it took a while and I'm glad to see the work has come to fruition.

In the cache description, it mentions a bookmark list of the existing caches in the areas. Can you include this cache in the list so it shows up or include a link from the cache page to the bookmark list?

Thanks!

Sudonim
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
About the areas that you listed on the cache page that don't have caches...
Some of them have/had in the past caches. Silsby Plain had "The Living End" GC6438. I assume that a cache log there would count, but some of the ones you listed have caches currently.
Bagaduce Falls has "bagaduce river - Maine Rose Series" GC10H9H
The Whalesback has "Whales Back Micro Cache" GCYN8T
Sullivan Falls has "Tidal Falls Sullivan Earthcache" GCQ7YK
Great Head has "Watch your step..." GC98BA
Biddeford Pool has a couple; "Vines Landing" GCYE1V and "Summer Fun" GC1097P
This looks like a lot of fun, looking forward to getting my "education" about Maine from this on-line university!

brdad
06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Nice to see it all come together and get approved, guys.

Does anyone have a GPX file of all of the locations, or be able to make one? I'm Not sure if anyone with Delorme software could do this easliy? By locations, i mean of each of the Unique and natural areas, not any nearby caches.

It'd be handy to have - If there is no other way, I can make it myself, or if someone wants to split the load we can merge the files together into one afterward.

tat
06-14-2007, 02:51 PM
About the areas that you listed on the cache page that don't have caches...
Some of them have/had in the past caches. Silsby Plain had "The Living End" GC6438. I assume that a cache log there would count, but some of the ones you listed have caches currently.
Bagaduce Falls has "bagaduce river - Maine Rose Series" GC10H9H
The Whalesback has "Whales Back Micro Cache" GCYN8T
Sullivan Falls has "Tidal Falls Sullivan Earthcache" GCQ7YK
Great Head has "Watch your step..." GC98BA
Biddeford Pool has a couple; "Vines Landing" GCYE1V and "Summer Fun" GC1097P
This looks like a lot of fun, looking forward to getting my "education" about Maine from this on-line university!

Archived caches are elegible, but don't show in the bookmark list because we don't want people to attempt to find an archived cache.

Some (and perhaps all) of the caches above should be on the list.

Thanks a bunch for helping find the ones I missed!

tat
06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Tom,

Congratulations on getting this published! I know it took a while and I'm glad to see the work has come to fruition.

In the cache description, it mentions a bookmark list of the existing caches in the areas. Can you include this cache in the list so it shows up or include a link from the cache page to the bookmark list?

Thanks!

Great idea! In fact, I did make the list but forgot to make it public and viewable!!

Glad you mentioned it!!

brdad
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Someone is going to ask for the link to the cache page, too!

Maine Natural and Unique Delorme College AS Degree (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=618403) (GC13H9D) by Rescue_Rangers (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=841227) (5/5)

hollora
06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Know that a great deal of work has gone into publishing this cache. Congratulations. This is another great way to see and learn about our wonderful State!

brdad
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
It's kind of a shame waterfalls aren't considered to be unique and natural areas by the Gazatteer. Desert of Maine = unique & natural; Moxie Falls = Not unique or natural. What's up with that? :confused: :D :confused:

brdad
06-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Does She dearly loved this spot (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=97728) (GCH2FE) by Blackdog3832 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=143520) (1/1.5) qualify for South Bubble Erratic? You can view it from there, even mentions that in the Gazatteer, but you're not really THERE.

Sudonim
06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm not working out of the '07 Gazetteer, but an older one. Is "Schoodic Point" still listed? It's in the '02 book

brdad
06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm not working out of the '07 Gazetteer, but an older one. Is "Schoodic Point" still listed? It's in the '02 book

I have the '05 and it's in there.
There should be a list for those of us who don't have the '07 one!

brdad
06-14-2007, 06:23 PM
How about these two for Salt Bay?

Au Revoir (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=89356) (GCGRRC) by IntotheWoods (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=77174) (2/2)
Salt Bay Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=164593) (GCKA2C) by threeputt (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=249830) (2/2)

brdad
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Does The Jail (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=72430) (GCG75C) by Tiger_tat & family (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=27990) (1/3) qualify for Screw Auger Falls Gorge. it would seem not, but can't blame a guy for trying. :D
Not that it matters, I haven't found it yet...

brdad
06-14-2007, 09:05 PM
The cache page says :

• Cachers will recieve credit for previously found caches
• Cachers will also receive credit for qualified archived caches.

Shouldn't the archived caches be previously found as well, or is it implied that it has to be found to qualify anyway?

tat
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
yes, you do have to have found all of the caches on your bookmark list.

I am going through all of the caches you've found and will try to get something posed soon. Right now, I am on Day 1 of the Trek Across Maine and working out of Robt's van at a certain auto parts store! Tomorrow, I'll be at Colby, and I think they still have wifi!! :)

thanks for everyone's patience.

Sudonim
06-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Have a good ride Tom, looks like the weather will be pretty good.

parmachenee
06-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I've been lobbying for "The Ovens" to be included as it used to be listed in Delorme but not recently. Anyone have that edition??

Sudonim
06-15-2007, 08:38 PM
The Ovens is listed in the 2000 book.

brdad
06-15-2007, 08:59 PM
It's listed in my 2003 and my 2005 book. I didn't realize they change the data, or that they would delete anything...

Sudonim
06-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I could see them deleting the ovens if an earthquake hit and the sea washed away the rest, but other than that????

hollora
06-16-2007, 07:56 AM
I've been lobbying for "The Ovens" to be included as it used to be listed in Delorme but not recently. Anyone have that edition??

The kids have teased me about my 1988 Edition.........it is listed in this edition.

I don't mind the old one as it is tattered and torn, don't feel guilty writing on the pages and if I lose it - oh, well. My kids say I will get lost because there are new roads, some roads are gone and many renamed.......LOL But, I have a GPSr so why would I get lost?

Good luck in your efforts Frank - agreed - it should be included!

brdad
06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
I can see you are taking on quite a challenge yourself with his cache, Tat!

Maiden Cliff ....

There is a great perspective of this from Gravity Outlaw (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=38024) (GC9488) by quietbert (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=55825) (1.5/1.5). It's another one of those "It's a great spot to study it, but you're not really there" places.

IIRC, there are trails to the top, and you can drive right to the base, so a cache could be placed at the cliffs, but the cache mentioned could qualify depending on how liberal you wanted to be.

brdad
06-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I stand partially corrected as far as the Ovens are concerned. The icon is on the map pages for the 2003 and 2005 books, but it is not listed in the front under unique areas. I wonder how many others are marked on the maps but not listed?????

I am composing a GPX of the locations and will post it soon.

So far I have noticed for differences between 2003 and 2005:

"The Chimney" is on the 2003 map but not 2005. It's not marked on the map page, either.

Did the same person that stole the ovens steal the chimney??????
If archived caches are eligible, maybe archived unique area should be, too! :D

Sudonim
06-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Dave, you should have been a lawyer! :)

brdad
06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok, here is a GPX file of all the areas I have found listed in the gazatteer so far. I marked the The Ovens and The Chimney as archived since they are allegedly not listed in the front of the 2007. (Allegedly is a lawyer word, right, Andy?)

Let me know if any new areas are listed in the 2007 version or if any on my list are no longer in the 2007 book.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/delorme_unique_areas.gpx

Haffy
06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
What the heck is that gobbledygoop anyway?

brdad
06-16-2007, 12:34 PM
What the heck is that gobbledygoop anyway?

It's GPX file, similar to what you get in your PQs. Don't just click the link, right click and choose "save link as..".

I knew it was too soon to let you out into the world on your own! :p

brdad
06-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Here's a map showing all the locations I have in that file.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/515/uniquedelorme.gif

tat
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
WOW! I can't wait to get home to digest all this.

I'll try to find out why Delorme no longer includes the Ovens. Delorme has a rather big team here at the Trek!!

WhereRWe?
06-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Sheesh! I think I understand this...

Can't you count our Kennebec River Gorge cache (GCY6VG) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1a9ac654-c48b-4ee8-8f84-ce262cc50f98) for map 40, grid E3 (Kennebec River Gorge)?

:confused: :confused:

Hiram357
06-16-2007, 03:50 PM
WOW! I can't wait to get home to digest all this.

I'll try to find out why Delorme no longer includes the Ovens. Delorme has a rather big team here at the Trek!!

maybe they got rid of the ovens... i know there's a few ovens out by my "shawmut fishing hole" cache, there's even a fridge and a couple clothes washers...

tat
06-16-2007, 05:09 PM
The ovens are in! They are shown on map 16. The index does not include every area. If there is an area shown on the map, it is in.

Thanks for showing me, I had missed it.

brdad
06-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I looked through a couple old gazateers Lee had and found another 4 "archived" areas and added them to the gpx file I previously posted. I have not checked if they are on the maps however.

tat
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
...I have not checked if they are on the maps however.

That's the key:

They have to be on the 2007 map set.

brdad
06-17-2007, 08:26 PM
That's the key:
They have to be on the 2007 map set.

I'd be happy to do that, but I don't have a 2007! perhaps someone else can check?

Looks like you might have to also consider what you'll do when the next edition comes out and they archive one or more of the 2007 areas!

Also, maybe Dave1976 or Mainiac1957 or anyone else that has completed it can enlighten us on any of the areas that might possibly be covered under the logging of the Acadia National Park EarthCache Program?

By the way, in that GPX file, the description as well as the map locations from the gazatteer is there for the archived areas so that you can read about them.

d’76
06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I'd be happy to do that, but I don't have a 2007! perhaps someone else can check?

Looks like you might have to also consider what you'll do when the next edition comes out and they archive one or more of the 2007 areas!

Also, maybe Dave1976 or Mainiac1957 or anyone else that has completed it can enlighten us on any of the areas that might possibly be covered under the logging of the Acadia National Park EarthCache Program?

By the way, in that GPX file, the description as well as the map locations from the gazatteer is there for the archived areas so that you can read about them.

Brad and I talked about that today. You should ask Brad since I suffer from CRS

Gob-ler
06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
I think I have this done, but not sure as I need to get into the atlas and do my homework. I hate homework!

Actually when doing the original DeLorme, it took longer to do the homework than it did to do the caches. Such is life!

brdad
06-19-2007, 06:51 AM
So how is the updated list coming for what qualifies and what ones do not? I was hoping to catch up with tat in chat last night, but we had company :confused:

Don't people know not to visit on a chat night?????

tat
06-19-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm working on it!!

Gravity Outlaw - Not close enough
Kennebec River Gorge -Description says "access by raft only".
She dearly loved this spot - Not close enough
Summer Fun - Not close enough
The Jail - Not close enough to the description
Vines Landing - Not close enough

There were 6 others that were added. The bookmark list is updated, but the page is not as of 7:30 am, est.

WhereRWe?
06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm working on it!!

So... You actually have to be IN the gorge, not AT the gorge? LOL!

(Sheesh!)

(Actually, at the spot where the cache is located, there is a stairway to the water - meant for rescue operations. So you CAN get IN the gorge without having to be in a raft - or a kayak...)

I think our cache should be included.

brdad
06-19-2007, 12:09 PM

(Sheesh!)

(Actually, at the spot where the cache is located, there is a stairway to the water - meant for rescue operations. So you CAN get IN the gorge without having to be in a raft - or a kayak...)

I've never been to that cache, but by your description, I think I would agree. So you have my vote. But it's not my cache. :D

brdad
06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Well I am glad I wasn't counting on any of those you blacklisted! (Or was I - where is Vines Landing?)

Concerning Quoddy Head and Gullliver's Hole - Gulliver's Hole is only 100 feet from Quoddy Quandry cache, meaning that no cache will be able to be placed closer to it. You can see it right from the trail as you go to the cache. In order to satisfy the .1 mile rule, you'd have to place a cache 200 feet SW of Gullivers Hole - so I vote for that being a twofer!

Cache on the Rocks - Pemaquid Point. While the cache is not right on the point, the parking for it is. You walk the rocks mentioned by Delorme to get to the cache.

I'm not going to argue my archived finds unless necessary!

And I forgot two! Wildes Road Wildlife Management Area should surely qualify for Merrymeeting bay!?!?!?
and
The Littleton Esker Earthcache (GCQMHW) (Archived) Added to my list...

brdad
06-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I know you're trying to avoid posting qualified archived caches, but it may help to post them separately without links on the cache page or in a separate bookmark list. I'm sure more people than me will be wondering how many archived caches qualify, and it would save a few emails. If you want some help, I can send you a list of archived caches, just let me know.

brdad
06-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Concerning Littleton Esker: Northwoods Explorer has brought it to my attention there is also an active cache at that esker.

Kames, Kettles, and Other Such Things (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCZKHP)

brdad
06-23-2007, 07:08 PM
So is anyone else working on this quest? Msteelee and myself visited West Quoddy head today, and I will confirm my earlier measurements, the cache could not be much closer to Gulleiver's Hole - it should be a twofer!

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Gullivers_Hole.jpg

Sudonim
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
I'd like to be out getting some caches this weekend, but I have Sunday earmarked for shingling the back half of my roof (and I don't think there are any caches up there...) :(

tat
06-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I am trying to move, no caches here either.

firefighterjake
06-24-2007, 07:07 AM
I'd like to be out getting some caches this weekend, but I have Sunday earmarked for shingling the back half of my roof (and I don't think there are any caches up there...) :(

. . . But I bet if you placed one up there Hiram would try to get to it with his Jeep. ;) :D

firefighterjake
06-24-2007, 07:13 AM
So is anyone else working on this quest? . . .

I have enough of a problem finding time to look for regular caches and/or log my DNFs unfortunately. :D I tell ya, work, work around the house, other obligations (ATV Clubs, fire department, etc.) all tend to get in the way of geocaching . . . :D

Hiram357
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM

(Sheesh!)

Is it legal to use the stairs for non rescue operations???

Hiram357
06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
. . . But I bet if you placed one up there Hiram would try to get to it with his Jeep. ;) :D

You have my attention... Where do they need dropped off??? :D

Sudonim
06-24-2007, 09:11 PM
If he could get his Jeep up there, I would have loaded the 36 bundles of shingles in the Jeep (several trips that is, took four 800 pound trips for me in the Subaru back and forth to Home Depot, headlights shining up in the trees...)

Haffy
06-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Don't they have delivery?

brdad
06-25-2007, 05:34 AM
Don't they have delivery?

IIRC, You have to pay for them to deliver. However, the other lumber yards will not only deliver, but they can boom them up to the roof for you. But probably not on Sunday.

So who officially sidetracked this thread? Me, for asking who else was working on the cache, or everyone else who posted afterward?

Mainiac1957
06-25-2007, 06:42 AM
IIRC, You have to pay for them to deliver. However, the other lumber yards will not only deliver, but they can boom them up to the roof for you. But probably not on Sunday.

So who officially sidetracked this thread? Me, for asking who else was working on the cache, or everyone else who posted afterward?

It's easier to blame you than to look up all the rest of the non conformists.:rolleyes:

Hiram357
06-25-2007, 07:23 AM
It's easier to blame you than to look up all the rest of the non conformists.:rolleyes:

Yeah! Threadjacker!!! Grab your torch and pitchfork! Let's tar and feather em!! :D

firefighterjake
06-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah! Threadjacker!!! Grab your torch and pitchfork! Let's tar and feather em!! :D

Hear Hear . . . and rumor has it that Sudonim may have some left-over tar from the roofing job that we can use. ;) :D

WhereRWe?
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Is it legal to use the stairs for non rescue operations???

No restrictions posted - other than DO NOT BLOCK THE ENTRANCE. LOL!

It's a good place to watch the rafters go by, too.

tat
10-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Check out the new updates for the Maine Natural and Unique Delorme College! There are a few more comming, hopefully this week!!

tat
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

After further review, the cache is now added because the Delorme statement that the gorge can only be accessed by raft is incorrect or out of date.

WhereRWe?
10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
After further review, the cache is now added because the Delorme statement that the gorge can only be accessed by raft is incorrect or out of date.

Thanks! (More people should visit this cache - it's a nice vier of the river...)

:D :D

brdad
10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
So, is Quoddy Quandry a twofer with Quoddy Head/Gulliver's Hole?

Looks like I have 17 counting Quoddy as only one at the moment and without counting the archived ones on my list, but I have not double checked the list...

brdad
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Actually, it appears I have 24 after looking down the entire list (without counting Quoddy as a twofer. Lee should have the same number I think, but she needs to get her list made.

WhereRWe?
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Actually, it appears I have 24 after looking down the entire list (without counting Quoddy as a twofer. Lee should have the same number I think, but she needs to get her list made.

Sheesh! You're the stats geek! Make it for her! :p :p

Kaching Karen
10-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I have tried to make an earthcache called "Head Tide" in Alna. I need to make it more educational to pass the inspection. So, I will be doing a little more research and updating it soon. Hopefully, it will get published.

tat
10-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Congratulations to Brdad and Msteelee for being the first to recieve their Associates Degree!!

hollora
10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes, Congrats to Brdad & Msteelee! Way to go and I am sure you really enjoyed the travel..

Cache Maine
10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Wow, what an achievement! Congratulations to you both!

Beach Comber
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Holy smokes! That is great - congrats!

Sabby
10-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Congratulations to both of you.
Great job.

becket
10-27-2007, 04:48 AM
congratulations, guys! that's awesome

Team2hunt
10-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Congrats to both of you. The Rescue Rangers applaud those who have ventured deep into the state of Maine and looked for those out of the way places. Can't wait to hear the stories.

It just goes to show you......there is more to geocaching than stopping along the side of the road to log a cache. Get out and enjoy this wondeful state of ours. " Caching the way it should be "

brdad
10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
It just goes to show you......there is more to geocaching than stopping along the side of the road to log a cache. Get out and enjoy this wondeful state of ours. " Caching the way it should be "

Are you saying I should stop planning my "Guardrails of Maine Challenge" ?????

WhereRWe?
10-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Are you saying I should stop planning my "Guardrails of Maine Challenge" ?????

No, no... It will be a companion series to our "Light posts of WalMart" series.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Team2hunt
10-28-2007, 09:59 AM
No, no... It will be a companion series to our "Light posts of WalMart" series.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shouldn't that be " The WalMart Challenge " :p

WhereRWe?
10-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Shouldn't that be " The WalMart Challenge " :p

Works for me! LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: