View Full Version : The rumor is true

Haffy
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes to all who may have asked is it true that Haffy has moved. The opportunity arose and I took the plunge and have moved down here to Lancaster SC with my sister. Just arrived in Charlotte NC by way of Jet Blue out of Portland yesterday with 2 full suitcases with all my possessions. The rest is in storage at both my other sisters home and my folks home for the time being. I just wanted to let everyone know how much of a family I have become a part of in these last 3 or so years here at GeocachingMaine. It doesn't seem all that long ago that I introduced myself to anyone from Maine in Clayjars chat and Brdad who was and still is an active member of that chat met me at China School Forest cache and showed me the ropes of geocaching. From there everything else is history. The friends I have made through geocaching will last forever. I wasn't fortunate enough to have met a wonderful single woman like brdad did though:D .

There are tons of work opportunities for me here and I wasn't able to find what I wanted back in Maine so here I am. I won't be finding the time to do much caching here until I get myself situated and employed but for sure I will be on the caching trail sometime in the near future. Caching sure isn't like it was in Maine as all those who went to GW5 can attest to that.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks to all my friends back home and I will still be calling this my second home away from home.

I also need some volunteers to take over my caches if you want to adopt them or I can archive them, either way they need new owners and I would like for someone to adopt them if at all possible. Just send me an email if anyone is interested in them. Here is the list of my caches.

Perkins Stream Mystery
China School Forest
French's Mountain
Mill Island Park Multi
Cache Across America - Maine
Yankee Woodlot Nature Trail

I know everyone would have liked to say their goodbyes and I would have also liked to but I was so busy getting moved out and making all the arrangements that I just didn't have the time. This all happened within a weeks time and I had to make the move while I had the chance. This isn't a goodbye really but just another Hello from another part of the country....;) I'll still be around here on the site and would still like to be a member of the board if they still want me...:D

Wishing everyone the best and send me an email at anytime through this site or my Yahoo account. Haffy

WhereRWe?
06-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, SHEESH, Haffy! Gonna be kinda hard to tease you when you're so far away! LOL!

Maine Geocaching has suffered a loss. You were - and I guess will continue to be - an important part of our community. Good luck, and watch out for the snakes and aligators! LOL!

hollora
06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Haffy - you will be missed! I hardly got to know you but your influence on the sport is evident and this site is evident. Times, tides and life change and sometimes in a flash - as I well know.

My personal very best to you. I know you will stay in touch. Someone who has touched one's life is never really gone.

Hiram357
06-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Gunna missya Haffy... (whose gunna check my coords now???) :(

Hope you find what you're lookin for down there. (lotsa beautiful beach scenery down there) :)

and I can help ya take care of the Perkins and China caches. :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Best wishes John.

parmachenee
06-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Good luck John! Charron and I will always remember the first time we met you at Hinckley and got two FTF's together that day. Hopefully the winds of fortune will bring you back to Maine. :)

Cache Maine
06-15-2007, 08:33 PM
It's been a pleasure to know you and cache with you. You will be missed greatly at events, and on the trail. We will look for you here though! Best of luck with your new opportunities!

Sudonim
06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Hope to see you again Haffy! You have been an asset to the Maine contingent. After you get settled in, I expect to see your numbers moving again (new, fresh territory and all that...)

tat
06-16-2007, 02:25 PM
We're ganna miss you, but you are going to a really unique place. The beaches are the best on the east coast, and wait 'till you see the mountains!!

Good luck and all the best!!

Mainiac1957
06-16-2007, 02:38 PM
The Boiling Springs Earthcache:eek: http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos3567/1/33/6/35/70/6/670350633110_0_SM.jpg

Sabby
06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey! Sorry to see you go but I do wish you the very best down there.

firefighterjake
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Sorry to hear you've left Haffy . . . you have some great caches here -- hopefully folks will be willing to adopt them. Have fun down south, stay safe and keep caching.

brdad
06-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I'll never forget the day I took you out to China School Forest, Haffy. You will be missed on the trail and at events, but I hope you will let us know what's going on down there as well. it migth be good to have some perspective on what the differences are between here and there in the caching world and what we can learn from them.

Best of luck on your new venture. And don't give up, there's a plenty of trees in them woods, and there's a good woman wielding a GPSr hidden behind one for you. :rolleyes:

Beach Comber
06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Wow - what to say - wow. I wish you all the very best and hope that your time in SC is all that you want and hope it will be. It not only won't be the same without you around this fabulous state, but your presence at caching events and on the trails in recent months has been missed greatly! You are a friend for sure and someone that I am glad that I have gotten to know along the way. Another one of those great things about caching!!!!

pjpreb
06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Haffy - We're so glad to have met you and wish you all the very best. You definitely will be missed. We would be honored to adopt China School Forest and promise to take very good care of it.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to adopt a cache though....:confused:

Cache Maine
06-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Adoptions are easy!

Go here...http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Haffy will need to go to this page first, and indicate his intent to put the cache up for adoption. Once that has been done, pj, you will get an email to go to the above page and accept this adoption. This is done using the waypoint name.

pjpreb
06-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks Cameo :)

Kaching Karen
06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Haffy was the one to introduce me through Geocahingmaine. Thanks so much. I'll adopt your cache in Augusta. Hey, it's on the doorstep of one of mine! Best of luck, Haffy, in whatever you do.

Haffy
06-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks Karen and of course it would be my pleasure if you would adopt Cache Across America-Maine.

Haffy
06-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I just sent my adoption papers to Gump & Gumpette who have offered to adopt my Perkins Stream Mystery, Mill Island Park and Yankee Woodlot Trail caches. Kaching Karen has offered to adopt my Cache Across America cache so that leaves my China School Forest cache that has been offered by 3 people to adopt so I wish they could determine who wants that one. You guys can duke it out for that one. The only other one would be my favorite and my first cache that I owned and that is the French's Mountain cache. Thanks to all who have offered to adopt them and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have over the years. My favorite part of putting out caches has been reading the logs.

firefighterjake
06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I just sent my adoption papers to Gump & Gumpette who have offered to adopt my Perkins Stream Mystery, Mill Island Park and Yankee Woodlot Trail caches. Kaching Karen has offered to adopt my Cache Across America cache so that leaves my China School Forest cache that has been offered by 3 people to adopt so I wish they could determine who wants that one. You guys can duke it out for that one. The only other one would be my favorite and my first cache that I owned and that is the French's Mountain cache. Thanks to all who have offered to adopt them and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have over the years. My favorite part of putting out caches has been reading the logs.

You've put out some great caches Haffy . . . I have yet to go to one and think that it wasn't a great spot for a cache. I haven't done French Mountain yet . . . emphasis on YET and hopefully someone will adopt that one so I can do it someday.

Perkins Mystery flustered me to no end since I could not and still cannot see the numbers for some reason, but I loved Perkins Woods. China School was one of the first ones I did and a very nice spot. Yankee Woodlot is a great multi and a very nice walk with a lot of interesting flora and fauna to see along the way. Cache Across America brought me to a place I haven't been to since grade school. However, my favorite of the lot is the Mill Island Multi -- a beautiful spot and a lot of neat history. Thank you for the caches and the memories.

pjpreb
06-21-2007, 04:25 PM
We'll bow out of China School cache because the other 2 interested parties live much closer to it than we do. Best of luck to you Haffy - we'll miss ya.

Team2hunt
06-21-2007, 06:30 PM
The only other one would be my favorite and my first cache that I owned and that is the French's Mountain cache. Thanks to all who have offered to adopt them and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have over the years.

Even though I am not right around the corner from there. I would love to adopt French's Mountain. We ventured there on a cloudy day and it was still spectacular. Good luck Haffy you will be missed.

Haffy
06-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Looks like Team2Hunt is the Proud owner of French's Mountain. Thanks Gary and I know it's in good hands. Now I have China School Forest, so who wants it Hiram or TRF?

firefighterjake
06-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Looks like Team2Hunt is the Proud owner of French's Mountain. Thanks Gary and I know it's in good hands. Now I have China School Forest, so who wants it Hiram or TRF?

I'm waiting for the steel cage match-up . . . in this corner weighing in at 250 pounds as he is dripping wet, has a couple of pick-headed axes and a pike pole, wearing an old SCBA and loaded with enough hose to put out a five-alarm fire is TRF . . . in the other corner weighing in at a little less than 1/2 a ton due to the fact that he is in a White Jeep and has a few cooling units he can toss about is Hiram. In this match-up we will see who will be the winner and get the honor of adopting the China School cache . . .

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-22-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm waiting for the steel cage match-up . . . in this corner weighing in at 250 pounds as he is dripping wet, has a couple of pick-headed axes and a pike pole, wearing an old SCBA and loaded with enough hose to put out a five-alarm fire is TRF . . . in the other corner weighing in at a little less than 1/2 a ton due to the fact that he is in a White Jeep and has a few cooling units he can toss about is Hiram. In this match-up we will see who will be the winner and get the honor of adopting the China School cache . . .

LOL,, I've probably just returned from a roof HVAC fire in the new mall in Augusta. Now that you mention it, I do think I saw a White Jeep leaving while we were pulling in. ;) :D

I will adopt China School IF Hiram and Medi...Mida....well Hirams better half don't . I can practically see the cache from my house.

Haffy
06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey thanks Steve, the papers are going out as I speak. Couldn't have gone into better hands and Sadie and Emma will like it too.

team teebow
06-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Team Teebow is shocked and saddened but wish you all of the best Haffy!!! Good luck with the employment game and everything else. We look forward to seeing your southern cache logs.

Team Teebow

firefighterjake
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
LOL,, I've probably just returned from a roof HVAC fire in the new mall in Augusta. Now that you mention it, I do think I saw a White Jeep leaving while we were pulling in. ;) :D

I will adopt China School IF Hiram and Medi...Mida....well Hirams better half don't . I can practically see the cache from my house.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that can't remember Steph's on-line name here . . . Misawala or something like that isn't it? Sure, she couldn't just take on an easy to spell name . . . then again maybe if she posted stuff more often. . . . ;) :D

Sudonim
06-22-2007, 02:47 PM
. . . then again maybe if she posted stuff more often. . . . ;) :D
I don't know Jake, if she posts the same stuff she's been doing lately, Hiram's beer intake is going to go way up! :p

Hiram357
06-22-2007, 02:58 PM

hey wait a minute... i was just working on... uhhh... nevermind...

looks like ya beat me to it, if ya need help takin care of it though lemme know, ive got some extra ammo cans layin around if needed. :D

(oh yeah, it's mediwiliailsiieauhhhhh.... yeah, hiram's better half...)

Hiram357
06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't know Jake, if she posts the same stuff she's been doing lately, Hiram's beer intake is going to go way up! :p

*sigh* I just count backwards from 10, by the time I get to 1 i forget all about it... (yeah, it takes me that long to count backwards...) :D :D

Medawisla
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
hehe, I forgot all about it, Hiram, until I read this thread...:p
I felt the beer thread is more of a free for all than most threads. I'll try to be good...ie not post so often ;) :rolleyes:

steverph
06-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey John. We had not seen each other since highschool when Geocaching brought us together at the first WWWWWW event at Big G's. Good luck in your new venture and perhaps we shall see each other again on the trail on at another event some day. Thanks for the help getting me started in Geocaching.

Steve

we3beans
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
bummer!:( :(
We'll sure miss you around here....the bright side is if we're ever in the area we can crash at your place! (just kidding, sorta!)

Beach Comber
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Haffy - Good to chat via e-mail with you as well as use the website. Hopefully others will use that path as well. Glad to hear that things are settling into place.