View Full Version : Kangamangus to Lincoln trip!

teamdozer12
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Teamdozer12 and lovecaching is going camping in Lincoln NH, next week. I of course have been searching for area caches down the Kangamangus and in the area we are staying. So my question for you is, have you been here caching and what is a 'MUST DO' cache?! Keep in mind that we will have 4 kids ages 5, 6, 8 and 8 with us! :) Thanks...any input would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Cache Maine
06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
TD12, my suggestion would be the Madison Boulder Earthcache located in Madison, NH. It's a little off your path, but worth the visit. Here's a link to the cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=71048984-6bd6-4f14-97c6-7ecc4b1e951f) page. Have a great trip!

teamdozer12
06-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks Cache Maine! That definitely sounds like a good one to check out! Either on this trip, or another time! Thanks for sharing!

dragonflys
06-19-2007, 10:04 PM
We drove that road last summer and it was awesome. stopped and swam in the river and lots of nice pull offs. we stopped and did GCKDJR Rocky Gorge. Nice trail not a park and grab but not too far either. My kids were a bit older 9 & 11.

d.

attroll
06-20-2007, 01:31 AM
We use to go tubing there years ago. We had a ball, but water levels are not what they use to be now days.

Haffy
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
The last time I was there we had a rainstorm for 3 days and the Pemigewassett river washed away a dam and overflowed its banks and we were stuck in our campground for 3 days. It was total destruction the whole length of the river. That was way back in the 70's sometime if I remember correctly. Also the campgrounds were like $2 a night on the honor system to put 2 bux in the container. How things change huh?

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Back in the days when "locationless (reverse) caches" were allowed, RULOST2? and I managed to fulfill the requirements of a "wildlife in action" cache by photographing a bear cub on the Kankamagus! LOL! Make sure you watch for game - it's a wild-and-wooly stretch! :D :D

firefighterjake
06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Back in the days when "locationless (reverse) caches" were allowed, RULOST2? and I managed to fulfill the requirements of a "wildlife in action" cache by photographing a bear cub on the Kankamagus! LOL! Make sure you watch for game - it's a wild-and-wooly stretch! :D :D

Watching Hiram at an event would also qualify for a "Wildlife in action" locationless cache too, right? ;) :D

teamdozer12
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
The last time I was there we had a rainstorm for 3 days and the Pemigewassett river washed away a dam and overflowed its banks and we were stuck in our campground for 3 days. It was total destruction the whole length of the river. That was way back in the 70's sometime if I remember correctly. Also the campgrounds were like $2 a night on the honor system to put 2 bux in the container. How things change huh?

The place we are staying is only $21 a night! Not to bad! :) Plus $4 extra for the two extra kiddos. 3 nights= $75 divided by two...so we are paying $37.50 each! It's not 2 bucks a night, but certainly cheaper than a tank of gas!!! ;)

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Watching Hiram at an event would also qualify for a "Wildlife in action" locationless cache too, right? ;) :D

If you had attended the "Slipping into Summer" event, you'd know how right you are! LOL! ;) ;)

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
The place we are staying is only $21 a night! Not to bad! :) Plus $4 extra for the two extra kiddos. 3 nights= $75 divided by two...so we are paying $37.50 each! It's not 2 bucks a night, but certainly cheaper than a tank of gas!!! ;)

What! Only $37.50 a night??? (Sheesh! Seems like I might have slept in that same culvert when I was a lot younger...)

Hiram357
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
What! Only $37.50 a night??? (Sheesh! Seems like I might have slept in that same culvert when I was a lot younger...)

culverts were invented way back then??? I thought you needed dirt to make things... :p :p :p

teamdozer12
06-20-2007, 05:51 PM

NO, NO! :) $37.50 for 3 nights!!! Ahh much better! ;)

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 06:38 PM
culverts were invented way back then??? I thought you needed dirt to make things... :p :p :p

Well, actually, back then, most culverts were made of hand-hewn stone. Not like the new-fangled corrugated metal you have around here...

Sabby
06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Here are 3 that I have done as I drove the route.

KANCAMAGUS (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a28bb7d0-6085-415b-84a5-f768f5839dcf) by Eric and Marlene (GC8149)

Sabbaday Falls Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=41a1f2eb-1e0f-45e1-a3ee-9c127f67b81c) by SAR-EMT-40 (GCKCEF)

Beautiful Memories (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1ab14a8b-941a-46be-88e8-c91958632e0d) by Hours together (GCKEJ3)

firefighterjake
06-21-2007, 10:33 AM
If you had attended the "Slipping into Summer" event, you'd know how right you are! LOL! ;) ;)

I've seen the pictures and have seen Aaron in action more than once!:D

firefighterjake
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, actually, back then, most culverts were made of hand-hewn stone. Not like the new-fangled corrugated metal you have around here...

Oh dear we seem to have got off topic, but in the interest of responding to this . . . here in Bangor we have wooden pipes on display in the fire museum from when public water (including water for the underground cisterns) was pumped through hollowed out wooden logs.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh dear we seem to have got off topic, but in the interest of responding to this . . . here in Bangor we have wooden pipes on display in the fire museum from when public water (including water for the underground cisterns) was pumped through hollowed out wooden logs.

OK, so tell us why fire hydrants are called "fire plugs";) ;) Augusta had in our display case at Central the old Chloroform glass balls that were to be thrown at the base of a fire. OSHA made us get rid of them.

Is this thread NOW officially hiJacked???:D

Team2hunt
06-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Drive the road and enjoy the views. There are plenty of caches, but none that stick out like a " must do ". The trip is about enjoying the river and the views. Take time to stop and enjoy them and the caches second. I have just come back from 2 weeks in No.Conway. DO NOT go into town unless it is necessary, and you have lots of time to get there and back. Very busy place. If you head up 93 to the Flume. There are several very nice caches there. But be careful!! Never know who you are going to run into. :eek: Have a great trip. I will be camping in another part of the state this weekend. Looks like good weather for it!

firefighterjake
06-22-2007, 06:17 AM
OK, so tell us why fire hydrants are called "fire plugs";) ;) Augusta had in our display case at Central the old Chloroform glass balls that were to be thrown at the base of a fire. OSHA made us get rid of them.

Is this thread NOW officially hiJacked???:D

If memory serves me right . . . when water was needed they would drill into the old wooden hydrant and/or remove a wooden plug. After they were done they would put a wooden plug back in the hole.

Hmmm . . . our fire museum still has some of the old carbon tet. glass balls and "bug sprayers" on display . . . and I suspect they probably still have the chemicals still in them.