View Full Version : Now this is a 4x4 event!!!

Hiram357
06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I think we need two things... 1) a freind with lots of land we can put trails on. and 2) these guys to come show us how it's done!.... :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bcd6bfab-ac52-4c2b-aa46-27043b6764ae

attroll
06-25-2007, 11:43 PM
If I were to take the time to host a 4x4 event this would be how I would like to host it.

The event would be at a location that you could only get to by a 4x4. It does not have to be a built up 4x4 but something that needs a 4WD engaged to get there and just a little bit rough.

It would not be a short trip in either. It would have to be at least 4 or 5 miles in.

If you can not get to the event by walking in, coming in with a 4WD then you can not log the event.

The best way to do this though would be as a group and meeting at a specified location first and then all drive in together, but this would not be a requirement.

It would also be an overnight event at the event location.

brdad
06-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Slightly off-topic: I was reading an article a while back - I wish I knew the magazine and date so I could have a copy as it was interesting. Anyway, they were talking about these people who surveyed maps and aerials of Maine to find where the most remote spot was (remote meaning the longest distance from any road or trail). IIRC, the longest I they could find was only about 5 miles! We think of maine as being remote, but there are lot of trails and many miles of logging roads - I think he same article was stating we have more miles of logging roads than paved roads, highest percentage in the U.S..

More on-topic: There is a way to make a mandated longer drive to an event - make it a multi! I know Rick don't care for them as much, but you could have coords to different spots to get you to the actual event. It could even be markers where you need to turn. I bet I could do a good job out near my old house... hmmm... I refuse to host an event, but I might be willing to help anyone out there. I think I could make a decent multicache 4WD trip from Old Town about 10 miles crossing a stream and few puddles and some rougher rocky stuff having the event on a mountaintop with a great view. The good part about it would be once you are finished it would be a 1.5 mile drive to paved road to go home.

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:26 AM
I think we need two things... 1) a freind with lots of land we can put trails on. and 2) these guys to come show us how it's done!.... :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bcd6bfab-ac52-4c2b-aa46-27043b6764ae

Sooooo . . . is our Tread Lightly event going to have all you can eat pizza, videos, GPSr units given away as door prizes, etc. ;) :D Quite an event they put on . . . too bad you couldn't make it . . . I think you could have taken away the Most Trail Damage to Jeep award. ;) :D

Speaking of the TL Event . . . any word on when, an itinerary for the trip, etc.

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:28 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention . . . I know a guy who 1) has lots of land that he has built 4 x 4 trails on in Western Maine and 2) he would probably be willing to show folks how to really use their 4WD vehicles -- of course this might be a bit extreme for some folks -- myself included -- I have no issues going off road and engaging the 4WD, but since my SUV is also my POV I really can't do too much heavy-duty off-roading (that's where my ATV comes in handy.)

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah, it would be nice to set somethin up like this, but like dave said, only about 5 miles is about as good as youll get. Even that trail that we drove down for the last 4x4 even was only about 10 (and it was only that bad because all the culverts were ripped out) The other hard thing about it is finding a trail that isn't on private property, or just a 4wheeler trail (vehicles arent allowed on wheeler trails) last weekend when stef and I went scouting again for more places to play, just about every time we found a good spot, it was marked off as private property no trespassing, or logging property no trespassing... out in colorado is a completly differnt story... :( (lucky bastards...)

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:31 AM
If I were to take the time to host a 4x4 event this would be how I would like to host it.

The event would be at a location that you could only get to by a 4x4. It does not have to be a built up 4x4 but something that needs a 4WD engaged to get there and just a little bit rough.

It would not be a short trip in either. It would have to be at least 4 or 5 miles in.

If you can not get to the event by walking in, coming in with a 4WD then you can not log the event.

The best way to do this though would be as a group and meeting at a specified location first and then all drive in together, but this would not be a requirement.

It would also be an overnight event at the event location.

Sort of like the Tread Lightly 2007: The Return of Hiram's White Jeep (aka What Parts Will He Lose This Time) Event? ;) :D

Personally, I liked Day 2 of last year's TL Event as the rough road to Greenville, ride into Arc de Vic (OK, I kind of forgot the actual name of that cache), etc. was just what I was looking for and expecting in that event.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Sooooo . . . is our Tread Lightly event going to have all you can eat pizza, videos, GPSr units given away as door prizes, etc. ;) :D Quite an event they put on . . . too bad you couldn't make it . . . I think you could have taken away the Most Trail Damage to Jeep award. ;) :D

Speaking of the TL Event . . . any word on when, an itinerary for the trip, etc.

thanks for the encouraging words jake... maybe i could make it if other people were willing to help out as much as they were willing to talk... :p :p :p ;)

no word yet, were going on 60hours since I posted the cache page, the guidelines say that it could take up to 72hrs... so at 71hrs and 59 minutes i'll send an email to GPSfun and find out whats goin on...

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:36 AM
thanks for the encouraging words jake... maybe i could make it if other people were willing to help out as much as they were willing to talk... :p :p :p ;)

no word yet, were going on 60hours since I posted the cache page, the guidelines say that it could take up to 72hrs... so at 71hrs and 59 minutes i'll send an email to GPSfun and find out whats goin on...

If that's a hint, can I help out with anything for the TL event . . . short of ordering up enough UHOP pizzas for everyone? :D Uh, seriously, if there is anything I can do let me know . . . even if it's just a financial donation to offset the cost of the give-aways you bought.

And if it's any consolation I sent in a cache about 2 hours after you did apparently and I'm still waiting as well . . . not a big deal, but very unusual for GPSFun.

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah, it would be nice to set somethin up like this, but like dave said, only about 5 miles is about as good as youll get. Even that trail that we drove down for the last 4x4 even was only about 10 (and it was only that bad because all the culverts were ripped out) The other hard thing about it is finding a trail that isn't on private property, or just a 4wheeler trail (vehicles arent allowed on wheeler trails) last weekend when stef and I went scouting again for more places to play, just about every time we found a good spot, it was marked off as private property no trespassing, or logging property no trespassing... out in colorado is a completly differnt story... :( (lucky bastards...)

So that said, where you able to find anything decent to ride on . . . surely there must be some road up that a way that is in disrepair. :D

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Slightly off-topic: I was reading an article a while back - I wish I knew the magazine and date so I could have a copy as it was interesting. Anyway, they were talking about these people who surveyed maps and aerials of Maine to find where the most remote spot was (remote meaning the longest distance from any road or trail). IIRC, the longest I they could find was only about 5 miles! We think of maine as being remote, but there are lot of trails and many miles of logging roads - I think he same article was stating we have more miles of logging roads than paved roads, highest percentage in the U.S..

More on-topic: There is a way to make a mandated longer drive to an event - make it a multi! I know Rick don't care for them as much, but you could have coords to different spots to get you to the actual event. It could even be markers where you need to turn. I bet I could do a good job out near my old house... hmmm... I refuse to host an event, but I might be willing to help anyone out there. I think I could make a decent multicache 4WD trip from Old Town about 10 miles crossing a stream and few puddles and some rougher rocky stuff having the event on a mountaintop with a great view. The good part about it would be once you are finished it would be a 1.5 mile drive to paved road to go home.

Sounds like that could be quite fun Dave . . . maybe someone else in the area might run with that idea at some point or it could be Tread Lightly 2008: The Old Town Odyssey (aka Hiram Loses Even More Parts on His Jeep) Event. ;) :D

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 07:42 AM
If that's a hint, can I help out with anything for the TL event . . . well.... we have asked for help that last few weekends for a second vehicle to go with us to find good trails, but everyone is too busy for us... :rolleyes: (there's only so much stuff I'm willing to solo, I need someone to follow behind to pick up the parts... and have a tow strap ready, the first weekend stef and I went was when we framed it in the quick sand, then last weekend it almost didn't start... but it's still running!! :D )

short of ordering up enough UHOP pizzas for everyone? :D Uh, seriously, if there is anything I can do let me know . . . even if it's just a financial donation to offset the cost of the give-aways you bought. but if you wanted to do somethin to help out in this manner, extra door prizes would be nice (so far I have TL mug, water bottle, and stickers,)

And if it's any consolation I sent in a cache about 2 hours after you did apparently and I'm still waiting as well . . . not a big deal, but very unusual for GPSFun.

but i want it approved now!!! it's drivin me nuts with anticipation!! :rolleyes: :D

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 07:45 AM
well.... we have asked for help that last few weekends for a second vehicle to go with us to find good trails, but everyone is too busy for us... :rolleyes: (there's only so much stuff I'm willing to solo, I need someone to follow behind to pick up the parts... and have a tow strap ready, the first weekend stef and I went was when we framed it in the quick sand, then last weekend it almost didn't start... but it's still running!! :D )
but if you wanted to do somethin to help out in this manner, extra door prizes would be nice (so far I have TL mug, water bottle, and stickers,)

but i want it approved now!!! it's drivin me nuts with anticipation!! :rolleyes: :D

Oh yeah . . . mea culpa . . . but I did have some good excuses didn't I -- a good friend was getting married but then I had to cancel because Heidi ended up in the hospital and then my dog ate my homework and . . .

Yeah, I'm sorry about that . . . I can provide some door prizes of some sort. Let me think of what I can come up with . . . or send me a list of some ideas . . . I could provide all kinds of really cool smoke detectors, but somehow that just doesn't seem to fit in with the theme of this event and most normal folks don't find smoke detectors all that cool for some odd reason.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Doh! the page just got denied... it needs to be more cache orriented... I'll have to work on it I guess...

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Doh! the page just got denied... it needs to be more cache orriented... I'll have to work on it I guess...

Mine just came through as approved . . .

So are you off today or just getting a late start?

So what can you do to make it more cache oriented? Pick a 4WD route to a series of caches culminating in a campfire discussion about caching? Just curious having never hosted an event and only having gone to 1 1/2 (I figure I was only at Vic's Winter Camping Cache Event for a short time . . . hence the 1/2. :D )

firefighterjake
06-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Oh yeah, remind me again . . . is it July 21-22 or July 28-29 . . . I know both of those dates were thrown around at some point . . . need to block it out on my work calendar, Palm, etc.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Mine just came through as approved . . .

So are you off today or just getting a late start?

So what can you do to make it more cache oriented? Pick a 4WD route to a series of caches culminating in a campfire discussion about caching? Just curious having never hosted an event and only having gone to 1 1/2 (I figure I was only at Vic's Winter Camping Cache Event for a short time . . . hence the 1/2. :D )

He just wanted the page reorganized to be more caching oriented, i just resubmitted... well see how it goes... and yeah, I think im havin a late start... lots of uhhh.. paperwork to catch up on...

Oh yeah, remind me again . . . is it July 21-22 or July 28-29 . . . I know both of those dates were thrown around at some point . . . need to block it out on my work calendar, Palm, etc.

28/29

The G Team
06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
well.... we have asked for help that last few weekends for a second vehicle to go with us to find good trails, but everyone is too busy for us... :rolleyes: (there's only so much stuff I'm willing to solo, I need someone to follow behind to pick up the parts... and have a tow strap ready, the first weekend stef and I went was when we framed it in the quick sand, then last weekend it almost didn't start...

Man, if my Jeep was drivable, I'd be there. Due to circumstances (i.e. Jeep not getting done in time), it looks like we'll be heading West later than anticipated, and likely won't make Cali. The plan now is to at least make Utah, but we'll see how things go.

The good news: the lift is on, and the new rear driveshaft should be here in a couple of days so we can burn the spring pads and shock mounts on the new axle--that will pretty much complete the rear end. We got the ARB compressor and air lines pretty much done yesterday and are now working on switch wiring. Then we've gotta address the brake booster swap and ABS removal issue for the rear discs. Once the thing is drivable again, it goes to the "real" garage for front axle/locker/R&P install. Then, we'll need to trim off enough sheet metal to get the 33"s to fit w/o rubbing.

That sounds like a lot, but I'm hoping to be able to give it a shakedown run within 2 weeks (probably optomistic, but you never know). I'll give a shout when it is actually ready and perhaps we can find some trails to break it in (or just break it).

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Man, if my Jeep was drivable, I'd be there. Due to circumstances (i.e. Jeep not getting done in time), it looks like we'll be heading West later than anticipated, and likely won't make Cali. The plan now is to at least make Utah, but we'll see how things go.

The good news: the lift is on, and the new rear driveshaft should be here in a couple of days so we can burn the spring pads and shock mounts on the new axle--that will pretty much complete the rear end. We got the ARB compressor and air lines pretty much done yesterday and are now working on switch wiring. Then we've gotta address the brake booster swap and ABS removal issue for the rear discs. Once the thing is drivable again, it goes to the "real" garage for front axle/locker/R&P install. Then, we'll need to trim off enough sheet metal to get the 33"s to fit w/o rubbing.

That sounds like a lot, but I'm hoping to be able to give it a shakedown run within 2 weeks (probably optomistic, but you never know). I'll give a shout when it is actually ready and perhaps we can find some trails to break it in (or just break it).

when do you plan on taking your trip??? you'll be cuttin pretty close if ya go on your trip and try to make the event. (and yeah, that sounds like a lot of work to be done in that amount of time, that'll take a lot of beer to do...)

attroll
06-26-2007, 12:45 PM

Dave, I want to set up a fall event so I may be getting a hold of you on this one. I have some great ideas for a event of this type and maybe since you refuse to hold an event maybe you will think about helping to setting one up.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Dave, I want to set up a fall event so I may be getting a hold of you on this one. I have some great ideas for a event of this type and maybe since you refuse to hold an event maybe you will think about helping to setting one up.

(would any of those ideas be able to be implimented to the current event to improve on the wheeling side...)??? :D

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 01:16 PM

what about sayyyyy... from old town to topsfield??? :confused:

The G Team
06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
when do you plan on taking your trip??? you'll be cuttin pretty close if ya go on your trip and try to make the event. (and yeah, that sounds like a lot of work to be done in that amount of time, that'll take a lot of beer to do...)

Well, the exact departure date is basically when the Jeep is done and I am fairly comfortable that it will go the distance w/o major disaster. Our time and ultimate destination keeps getting less and closer. If worse comes to worst, we may have to postpone the long trip to next summer and do shorter one this year--sigh!

attroll
06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
(would any of those ideas be able to be implimented to the current event to improve on the wheeling side...)??? :D
Hmm, well some of the ideas include having to camp out at the remote location other then at a public camp ground and yes having a multi along the way. I don't want to give out my ideas and spoil it in case I go through with it. To answer your question though, no because it will not fit in. It is also going to be a themed event. I need to get with Dave and see if he is willing to help.

PS. Hiram I figured out the meaning in your name (Hiram357). It is not secret now.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmm, well some of the ideas include having to camp out at the remote location other then at a public camp ground and yes having a multi along the way. I don't want to give out my ideas and spoil it in case I go through with it. To answer your question though, no because it will not fit in. It is also going to be a themed event. I need to get with Dave and see if he is willing to help.

oh sure... i see how it is... i ask for input for my event and get none... but now that you're going to have an event like this.... :p :p :p

PS. Hiram I figured out the meaning in your name (Hiram357). It is not secret now. I guess I'll have to kill you now... :cool: unless... how exactly did you find out.... :confused:

By the way Rick... I thought of a great TB idea, that was inspired by you... So ya might want to sleep with one eye open... :D (it's a really cool idea too...)

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, the exact departure date is basically when the Jeep is done and I am fairly comfortable that it will go the distance w/o major disaster. Our time and ultimate destination keeps getting less and closer. If worse comes to worst, we may have to postpone the long trip to next summer and do shorter one this year--sigh!

Don't forget it's a jeep... Fix Or Repair Dai... wait a minute... :eek: :eek: :eek:

attroll
06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
oh sure... i see how it is... i ask for input for my event and get none... but now that you're going to have an event like this.... :p :p :p

I did not have these idea when you were looking for help. I just thought of them last night while reading through some events. If I had thought of them back then I would have told you. However if I do this event you are more then welcome to host it with me. I can use some help.

I guess I'll have to kill you now... :cool: unless... how exactly did you find out.... :confused:

I know who Hiram was in relation to the Free Masons and know you location. That is all I will say seeing I don't want to give away you secret.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
However if I do this event you are more then welcome to host it with me. I can use some help. Well you are one of the founding members of the ORCAs, how could I say no? :D

I know who Hiram was in relation to the Free Masons and know you location. That is all I will say seeing I don't want to give away you secret.

oh ok, i was thinking that maybe you found out the way thats supposed to be found out only by finding out the way that I can't say or else you would find out... :confused: but the numbers are still a secret... :p :D ;)

brdad
06-26-2007, 06:09 PM
what about sayyyyy... from old town to topsfield??? :confused:

That's an easy enough route, but it'd probably involve less 4WD than the route I was thinking.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 06:11 PM
That's an easy enough route, but it'd probably involve less 4WD than the route I was thinking.

Rt 2 doesnt count... :rolleyes: But there are a lot of sand pits down around the grand lake area that could be fun.

brdad
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Yes, time permitting I could help with this, it's been a few years since I have been through the whole route, but we could make a pre-run. I do however, have every road, atv trail, and footpath that existed then mapped out, however.

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Yes, time permitting I could help with this, it's been a few years since I have been through the whole route, but we could make a pre-run. I do however, have every road, atv trail, and footpath that existed then mapped out, however.

well, were goin up this weekend for an overnight at the campsite to place a few caches, if ya want to join us, brad is comin along too.

brdad
06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
well, were goin up this weekend for an overnight at the campsite to place a few caches, if ya want to join us, brad is comin along too.
We'll see, I have been going back and forth to Stinking Lincoln every day so I may just stick closer to Bangor!

Hiram357
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
We'll see, I have been going back and forth to Stinking Lincoln every day so I may just stick closer to Bangor!

well on friday just don't go forth and stay up in lincoln and we'll pick ya up on the way by. :D

P.S. We're bringing extra steak........... :D

firefighterjake
06-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Rt 2 doesnt count... :rolleyes: But there are a lot of sand pits down around the grand lake area that could be fun.

I hear those sand pits can be treacherous to White Jeeps. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

firefighterjake
06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
well on friday just don't go forth and stay up in lincoln and we'll pick ya up on the way by. :D

P.S. We're bringing extra steak........... :D

Ah ha . . . so you use steak as the "bait" to lure other geocachers to go along with you on these camping trips . . . and here I thought I was special (well I am special . . . just in a different way and definition) when you said you had a steak for me. ;) :D

Hiram357
06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I hear those sand pits can be treacherous to White Jeeps. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

They're not that bad... it's getting stef to get out and push that's the hard part.... :D :D :D

Ah ha . . . so you use steak as the "bait" to lure other geocachers to go along with you on these camping trips . . . and here I thought I was special (well I am special . . . just in a different way and definition) when you said you had a steak for me. ;) :D

oh no, we still have your steak, that's the one were giving away, since you won't come with us... (actually we got 2 boxes of 10 from the schwan guy, so we even had steak and eggs for breakfast) :p :p :p

firefighterjake
06-28-2007, 06:28 AM
They're not that bad... it's getting stef to get out and push that's the hard part.... :D :D :D

oh no, we still have your steak, that's the one were giving away, since you won't come with us... (actually we got 2 boxes of 10 from the schwan guy, so we even had steak and eggs for breakfast) :p :p :p

Sure rub it in why don't ya? ;) :D

Out of curiosity . . . from when to when do you expect to be at this campground?

Hiram357
06-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Sure rub it in why don't ya? ;) :D

Out of curiosity . . . from when to when do you expect to be at this campground?

ummm.. this weekend... :p

dunnno yet, we might leave friday, but well definitely be there sat & sun, probably sun til at least noon.