View Full Version : Putting money aside for Geocaching Maine

attroll
06-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Here is something I brought up to the Geocaching Maine advisory board and they all agreed that it should be brought up to the members of Geocaching Maine.

I was thinking since we do not charge dues or have any overhead right now for Geocaching Maine that it might be an idea to try to accumulate a little money to put aside for some special things we may want to do in the future. I figured the money would not be used for putting together any personally events or for the web site. It would be for special things in the future. An example would be something like having a Geocaching Maine banner or something like that made up, I am not saying we need a banner but I just used that as a sample. I am sure there are other things we may need money for at a future date.

I think a good start would be to add $1 to the price of the upcoming Maine geocoins. I think $1 is a fair price to ask. This would put $1 for every coin we sold into the bank for us later. This is just an idea. I would like to here what everyone else thinks about this without getting into the details of the bank account and all that. I just wanted to see if I could get people to understand where I am coming from and maybe agree with me.

Hiram357
06-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Here is something I brought up to the Geocaching Maine advisory board and they all agreed that it should be brought up to the members of Geocaching Maine.

I was thinking since we do not charge dues or have any overhead right now for Geocaching Maine that it might be an idea to try to accumulate a little money to put aside for some special things we may want to do in the future. I figured the money would not be used for putting together any personally events or for the web site. It would be for special things in the future. An example would be something like having a Geocaching Maine banner or something like that made up, I am not saying we need a banner but I just used that as a sample. I am sure there are other things we may need money for at a future date.

I think a good start would be to add $1 to the price of the upcoming Maine geocoins. I think $1 is a fair price to ask. This would put $1 for every coin we sold into the bank for us later. This is just an idea. I would like to here what everyone else thinks about this without getting into the details of the bank account and all that. I just wanted to see if I could get people to understand where I am coming from and maybe agree with me.

Would this be a seperate fund from the site donation or would it be in addition too??

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Firstly, I'm a strong supporter of GCM.org. I had lots to say prior to GCM.org being "formally" organized and I'm still a strong supporter. These forums and its members encompass everything that is great about geocaching.

But;

Raising money without a purpose is a little unheard of. If GCM.org has agreed to purchase a banner, then I could see raising the money to pay for it. If GCM.org needs money for admin. cost or Public relations campaigns, then tacking on a surcharge to the coin is great idea. If the money was earmarked for something that was agreed upon by the board then I would be all for ensuring GCM.org has a cash flow.

Legally, I would think that when handling money or collecting money in the name of GeocachingMaine.org could open up another can of worms; incorporating, file taxes etc. etc. all of which I vaguely understand.

My take on things now are; we (gcm.org) wants something, we(gcm.org) agree to split the cost. The members aren't paying dues, the members donate their share of the web cost.

Their must be someone here who know far more about the laws pertaining to non-profit, clubs/organizations.

Rick, while I think having ready available funds is great idea, I think it will carry a new level of organizational responsibilities that GCM.org may or may not want. Would hate to see you ar anyone here get into tax trouble or other legal trouble when I know that all you want to do is make GCM.org a great place and organization.

If their is anyway I can help let me know.

Cache On!!!
peace

kayakerinme
06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I would be opposed to having a geocachingmaine.org "tax" on the coins or on any generalized fundraising effort on the part of geocachingmaine.org other than covering the expenses for the web site.

If there is a fund available, then we have the issue of how to disburse the funds - who should get the money, how much, when, etc. Dare I say we'd need a policy about the funds? And no matter how the money is spent (as well-meaning as the committee that determines the disbursements might be), there will always be folks who disagree with how/when/who.

If there is a need for a geocachingmaine.org banner or any other geocachingmaine.org-related item, a request should be posted and I'll bet there are some that'll make that happen. Perhaps a wish-list is in order somewhere on the site...

If there are expenses related to an event, ask for a donation from the attendees.

That said, I'd be less opposed if there were a geocachingmaine.org association in some legal way, with a checking account, tax ID, etc. and a full accounting of funds published on a regular basis or on demand. But I'm pretty sure that's where folks don't want to head...

Oh, and put me down for $25 for the banner :)

Haffy
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Well being member of the board or past member , don't know what I am at the moment ,I brought the subject up a couple of times about getting a banner of sorts to bring to events and such. I agree with both TRF and Kayakerme that if we need something then the thing to do would be to just post it on the website and I'm sure others will step up to the plate with donations to make it happen. Hey Kayakerme has already offered a donation of 25 bux towards a banner and that is a good start, it's probably 1/4 of what it takes to get one made from the sites I visited to get an estimate of having one made up.I think there are too many legal ramifications to having a bunch of money kicking around and on one to be responsible to make sure of it's uses. Just my thoughts from down south.

aaronpriest
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I agree with most of the tax and income comments, it would not be fun to go there. I would also hesitate to have a "sales tax" on an item funding something else that not everyone would want to support themselves. Better to take donations for a specific thing from those that DO want to support it than tax everybody else.

Sudonim
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
If the coin sale goes well, there will be extra money. I was conservative on the pricing this year (as the coin frenzy seems to have abated somewhat) and the price represents 500 coins being sold. The price is fair to the coin purchaser as it represents the cost of the coin (no club tax), but if we get to 1000 there is a price break and that could be put into a pot. We still have about $60 in the bank from the last coin sale that I was putting into this years coin to reduce the price slightly. If there is money left after this one, we could use it for a banner or other things instead of paying forward to the next coin.

attroll
06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I posted that I think this money should be totally separate from the web site donation money. It would not be used for people holding personal events. It would only be used for purchases of things that would be used for Geocaching Maine. I used the banner as an example because the banner could be used at all events and at other places other then events. I could think up a few more things if need be. The idea would be that it could not be used towards the web site or towards personal events, this way people could not ask for money to help with there events. It would not be a lot of money right now seeing it would only be $1 per coin, but over time it would add up. It is not intended for personal use or gain.

As I said I just wanted to here opinions on putting money aside without getting into the details of the bank account and all that, but I should have known that somehow it would have turned into people worrying about taxes where to put the money, who would take care of it, how to distribute it. I only wanted the questions answered as to whether we should start putting money aside. I have found we have to make one decision at a time with this group. It will be just like the coin thing we started the first time. If we talk about all the legal things about it then it will never get done. Look how long it took to get our first coin done.

aaronpriest
06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I hear ya. I personally think it's best to raise money for a specific item and independent of what might be considered "profit" from a separate item. It appears too much like income, whether it is or not. Also, people buying one item (a coin) might have no interest in funding something else with their purchase (a banner), especially if they are geocachers from another state for example. I think if you put money aside it would be better to do as a fundraiser with a specific goal and progress bar and not raised as "revenue" from a sale of something else. That's merely my opinion of course.

attroll
06-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Arron, I see where you coming from. I was looking at it like this. It is always the same people that donate or contribute to the pot when money is needed. If we added $1 to the coin that would elevate that. I don't think it is fair that the same people contribute all the time.

Haffy
06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Nor do I but having others donate who don't even come to the site or aren't members isn't fair to them either especially if it is tied into the price of the coin. I would say half or more of the last coins we sold were sold to cachers from out of state.

As far as the same people donating all the time , well I say the majority of the people who use this site are the ones who are donating anyway so I don't see the problem as long as the bills are paid. The ones who use the site and who don't donate don't have anything to complain about then do they? I guess you can include me in that bunch now then can't you?

Not to get off topic but the next event that is put on by a member of GC.org, there should be a donation box put out specifically for the website. I remember there was one put out at a previous event, I believe it was one of Mainiac's Beer and Wings events and there was enough money to get the site some updated software. I see no harm in that.

aaronpriest
06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Hmm, well, that's true. It may or may not be a good thing too that it's always the same people that contribute. At least you have a dedicated "customer" base! :D I don't see a reason to force the rest to contribute if they don't want to freely on their own though. I agree with Haffy on a donation box. You could even do that for other items like a banner and other supplies as well. I bet if put to the challenge the money would be raised for anything that the group would decide benefits them. If it's not raised, then they didn't think it was necessary and there's no way to tax it out of them! Hehe!

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I posted that I think this money should be totally separate from the web site donation money. It would not be used for people holding personal events. It would only be used for purchases of things that would be used for Geocaching Maine. I used the banner as an example because the banner could be used at all events and at other places other then events. I could think up a few more things if need be. The idea would be that it could not be used towards the web site or towards personal events, this way people could not ask for money to help with there events. It would not be a lot of money right now seeing it would only be $1 per coin, but over time it would add up. It is not intended for personal use or gain.

As I said I just wanted to here opinions on putting money aside without getting into the details of the bank account and all that, but I should have known that somehow it would have turned into people worrying about taxes where to put the money, who would take care of it, how to distribute it. I only wanted the questions answered as to whether we should start putting money aside. I have found we have to make one decision at a time with this group. It will be just like the coin thing we started the first time. If we talk about all the legal things about it then it will never get done. Look how long it took to get our first coin done.

Rick, you have a way of making these issue sound like a personal affront to yourself. I think I can safely say that everyone has nothing but the utmost respect in your ability as the webmaster.

It's not about "raising legal issues" when I mentioned that you need to be aware of legal and tax ramifications. If you sell something for profit you will be subject to state and federal taxes. You can't sell your own home for a profit without paying taxes so how do you think you can sell a coin at profit and not claim it. (Yeah, yeah, I know, one time exemptions, rolling assets etc, etc..):) :)

If GCM.org needs money then the best way is to have a fundraiser or ask people to donate to meet the needs of that specific goal. I realize you have a core group of contributors but we are also the ones that benefit the most. Charging people, at a profit, simply because they want a coin or whatever means you're in business to gain profit/benefit.

The short answer to your question from my point of view; its not a great idea..

Hiram357
06-27-2007, 05:03 PM
So why wouldn't we be able to use the money that is donated to the site for such things like a banner???

I think that due to all things said so far (such as taxes and laws ect) keeping as a "ask for it when it's needed" basis would be the best way to go. So that way people that want to give to certain things (like a banner) can give to those certain things (otherwise you end up with situations like federal embrionic stem cell funding, some taxpayers want to pay for it, others don't and then everyone gets angry about it... I think it'd be best to let those who want to pay for things pay for them, as opposed to making everyone pay for them)

Hiram357
06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Not to get off topic but the next event that is put on by a member of GC.org, there should be a donation box put out specifically for the website. I remember there was one put out at a previous event, I believe it was one of Mainiac's Beer and Wings events and there was enough money to get the site some updated software. I see no harm in that.

at the pigroast event Brdad put out a coin for a raffle, and everyone wrote their name on a $1 bill (some on 5s or 10s) and then the bill was pulled for the winner. Something like that is a good idea too.

aaronpriest
06-27-2007, 06:40 PM
A raffle is a great fundraiser I think!

attroll
06-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Everyone so far has said we can ask for the money as we need it and it always seems to work out. Well that is an easy thing to say because if you were the ones that have tried to collect the money from members then you would know this is not always true. Most of you know it always works out but what most of you don’t know is that behind the scenes it does not. There are always a few others that have to add a little more money then what they originally put in because it never does work out. When you are not the one collecting money and you only read that we reached our goal you don’t really know what went on behind the scenes to reach that goal. That is all I am going to say on that subject.

Rick, you have a way of making these issue sound like a personal affront to yourself. I think I can safely say that everyone has nothing but the utmost respect in your ability as the webmaster.

It's not about "raising legal issues" when I mentioned that you need to be aware of legal and tax ramifications. If you sell something for profit you will be subject to state and federal taxes. You can't sell your own home for a profit without paying taxes so how do you think you can sell a coin at profit and not claim it. (Yeah, yeah, I know, one time exemptions, rolling assets etc, etc..):) :)

If GCM.org needs money then the best way is to have a fundraiser or ask people to donate to meet the needs of that specific goal. I realize you have a core group of contributors but we are also the ones that benefit the most. Charging people, at a profit, simply because they want a coin or whatever means you're in business to gain profit/benefit.

The short answer to your question from my point of view; its not a great idea..
Steve, I also have the utmost respect for you to so please do not take this next statement wrong because it is not directed at you but at everyone worried about taxes.

We are non profit organization so to heck with the state taxes. If we go through paypal or something like that then who is to say where or what state were are selling them from. Besides we are paying taxes on the coin when they are purchased. $1 is not going to kill a person buying a coin. If we sold 200 coins then we put aside $200. I say put the taxes worries aside people always try to dig to deep and always try to find reason why not to do things and blame it on taxes. Heck if everyone is so worried about taxes then I will make an offer to put the profits that are made on the coins or anything else we do on my taxes and not touch any of the profits and put them in a Geocaching Maine checking account. I am serious on this offer.

Yes Steve I probably do take the web site and our group personally because I am pretty proud of what we have all accomplished so far as a group. I would like to see us move forward. Nothing against anyone else in the group but it seems like every time something has needed to get done or some type of organization needs to happen to get some thing done. I am always one of the one stepping up to the plate. Sure there are a few others that jump in. Is it only me that is thinking about the future of Geocaching Maine here? I love our Geocaching Maine community and I will always continue to help in every way I can and will always try to help it grow.

Nor do I but having others donate who don't even come to the site or aren't members isn't fair to them either especially if it is tied into the price of the coin. I would say half or more of the last coins we sold were sold to cachers from out of state.
It is not like we are making a million dollars on this venture or like we are trying to screw the people who are not members that are purchasing coins. Like I said to Steve’s reply, it is not going to kill someone to pay $1 more added on to the coin price. If someone is worried about paying $7 for a coin vise $6 then maybe they should not be buy the coin. It is there choice and we are not twisting there arm to buy it. In other respects it is our coin and we (GeocachingMaine) can set the price to what ever we as a group decide to set the price at and if people do not want to buy it then they do not have to. If you look at most state geocoins you will see that they sell for about $9 to $12 apiece and some for even more. My point is, it looks like we are the only ones just breaking even on them, why not just add $1 and but it in a kitty for later use. Even if we do not use it for a year or so it will be there later.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes Steve I probably do take the web site and our group personally because I am pretty proud of what we have all accomplished so far as a group. I would like to see us move forward. Nothing against anyone else in the group but it seems like every time something has needed to get done or some type of organization needs to happen to get some thing done. I am always one of the one stepping up to the plate. Sure there are a few others that jump in. Is it only me that is thinking about the future of Geocaching Maine here? I love our Geocaching Maine community and I will always continue to help in every way I can and will always try to help it grow.

Rick, you should be proud of the job you have done. No one questions your commitment and dedication to these forums. I've been a very vocal proponent/supporter about organizing but the general concensus was a "lose" organization. I, personally, would consent going to the next level (incorporating as a non-profit) but in keeping with the status quo of the group at large, that step should be avoided until the group, as a whole,
decides upon it.

As far as you putting the money in an account and claiming it on your personal taxes is a minor concern compared to the animosity it could cause in the future if someone should question your integrity regarding GCM.org funds. While I have the utmost faith in you and your desire to make this a great site I think you are taking on great risk.

I would be willing to pay the extra $1 for a coin knowing it will help GCM.org. The cost isn't the issue, my concern is the welfare of this site today, tomorrow and the future and nothing can destroy a good thing like money issues.

Peace!!

attroll
06-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Rick, you should be proud of the job you have done. No one questions your commitment and dedication to these forums. I've been a very vocal proponent/supporter about organizing but the general concensus was a "lose" organization. I, personally, would consent going to the next level (incorporating as a non-profit) but in keeping with the status quo of the group at large, that step should be avoided until the group, as a whole,
decides upon it.

What people may not realize is that we at Geocaching Maine are already registered with the IRS and have a tax number. This was done quite a while ago.

As far as you putting the money in an account and claiming it on your personal taxes is a minor concern compared to the animosity it could cause in the future if someone should question your integrity regarding GCM.org funds. While I have the utmost faith in you and your desire to make this a great site I think you are taking on great risk.

It was only and offer and that was all. If it is done right and records kept properly then there is nothing to worry about. The records could be kept open for all to see any time they want. I do it now with another organization I am a member of. It is a piece of cake if you keep up on the records. If we are only making $200 a year then that does not even have to be reported if that is all we are making, but we would still need to keep records.

Haffy
06-27-2007, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=attroll;33259]Everyone so far has said we can ask for the money as we need it and it always seems to work out. Well that is an easy thing to say because if you were the ones that have tried to collect the money from members then you would know this is not always true. Most of you know it always works out but what most of you don’t know is that behind the scenes it does not. There are always a few others that have to add a little more money then what they originally put in because it never does work out. When you are not the one collecting money and you only read that we reached our goal you don’t really know what went on behind the scenes to reach that goal. That is all I am going to say on that subject.]

Well for being on the board as long as I have and being a member from day one I would like to know what instances you are referring to when you say we needed money for something and it wasn't enough and others had to put in more to meet the demands? I have never been asked for money and up until the last renewal my donation to the site have always been donated. Where has it been noted that we needed money for anything? You have always said that we are in good shape financially. If money is needed for the site then just come out and say we need such and such an amount to keep things going. Please don't beat around the bush,we are all grown adults here.

attroll
06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
We have never been set with the donations we get from the Geocaching community for the web site. We barely make enough to cover the software cost, but I do not beg or plead for money from the members and I never will. The server cost over $4,000 per year. We have 27 donating members and the average donation is $5 which turns out to be about $135 a year. Most of the money comes from donation from my other web site that we are piggy backing off. I am not going to go into the details of what it cost just to host the Geocaching Maine web site and comparing it to the other web site because that is not what this is about. It was never about bringing in money for the web site. It was about bringing in money for the group.

This was just a suggestion anyways and that was all it was. It seems like people always want to turn it into something more. So I will leave this alone and then in the future if we want to try and raise money then someone else can do it. I am not going to drag a dead horse into the ground on this. So if no one agrees with me or wants to do this then so be it. I am not going to get mad or upset because of it. I was just trying to help.

Sudonim
06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Rick, I think that part of the problem MAY (I'm not sure here) that most people, you included, hate to ask friends for money. It's a hard, undesirable thing to do. You have minimized the costs of the site since the start and we accepted that, but if more money is needed for the site we need to know. We've known that we are a small part of another site, but if we are taking more than our share of the bandwidth or other server costs it needs to be made public. I know that I'd hate to see this site go away and would be willing to pay more if needed.
I think that if a fee system is mandatory, we would lose a very large percent of our members, as (I think) a small percentage use the site a large amount of the time. I don't like the idea of a 'tax' on the coins, but if the site costs are excessive, and we all know that, we may be able to address it (either with the coin or another means)

attroll
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Rick, I think that part of the problem MAY (I'm not sure here) that most people, you included, hate to ask friends for money. It's a hard, undesirable thing to do. You have minimized the costs of the site since the start and we accepted that, but if more money is needed for the site we need to know. We've known that we are a small part of another site, but if we are taking more than our share of the bandwidth or other server costs it needs to be made public. I know that I'd hate to see this site go away and would be willing to pay more if needed.
I think that if a fee system is mandatory, we would lose a very large percent of our members, as (I think) a small percentage use the site a large amount of the time. I don't like the idea of a 'tax' on the coins, but if the site costs are excessive, and we all know that, we may be able to address it (either with the coin or another means)
Thank you Sudonim, but no I am not saying we need more money for the server. I probably should have not thrown that into the conversation. We tread on thin water with the other web site and if I need more money for server cost I will not be afraid to ask in the future as I am sure that day will come.

Hiram357
06-27-2007, 09:37 PM
what about making a section of the site for financial stuff??? Post what we need money for and where money would be most useful/appreciated? (kinda like what's done for city fundraisers, they put out those big thermometer signs and keep filling it in to show how much money they've raised) that way those of us that are willing to donate don't sit back and say "well I put in my $5 that's all" but we can see that more is needed elsewhere and can help out when we can, and know where it's all going.

brdad
06-28-2007, 05:29 AM
what about making a section of the site for financial stuff??? Post what we need money for and where money would be most useful/appreciated? (kinda like what's done for city fundraisers, they put out those big thermometer signs and keep filling it in to show how much money they've raised) that way those of us that are willing to donate don't sit back and say "well I put in my $5 that's all" but we can see that more is needed elsewhere and can help out when we can, and know where it's all going.

Talking with Rick last night in chat and reading the opinions here, it seems that's the way it will be. If the group decides they'd like to have something we will start getting donations through various methods and if it takes two years to make the money to buy it so be it.

I will back Rick up and remind people that his post was not about money for the site, only for something physical the group might want to purchase as a whole. In theory, people who bought coins last time paid extra for the cost of the dies, which now pretty much belong to the group. I know, the dies are more directly related to the coin, but comparisons can be made. One thing we can do to help the site end of it out is to help promote the site when we can. More members means more input and ideas from more cachers as well as a better chance of donations. So when you see someone find your cache as one of their first, be sure to invite them here!

Hiram357
06-28-2007, 07:32 AM
One thing we can do to help the site end of it out is to help promote the site when we can. More members means more input and ideas from more cachers as well as a better chance of donations. So when you see someone find your cache as one of their first, be sure to invite them here!

Or putting the GCM.org banners on the cache page... :D

What about doing some promotional stuff that's low overhead??? Like selling gcm.org stickers, or some kinda swag items, or maybe find some place that makes hats real cheap??? and put an GCM.org Store on the site, (and have that explaining that all profits go to benifit the site and such things???) (or would that again dip into a legal situation selling things on the site?)

brdad
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I think the board has brushed through those ideas, but decided we needed to work on a few core issues first. But, if you think of or find any good products that might help, by all means mention it. It might actually help if there was a few members that looked into this for the group...

Sudonim
06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I know that some sites do "on demand" printing for 1 or two t-shirts. If someone knows of one of those sites that can collect a portion of the proceeds to go to a fund, that would work. (If the stuff was good quality)

Haffy
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I believe the CafePress does just that type of thing.

http://www.cafepress.com/?CMP=KNC-Y-HC&OVRAW=CafePress&OVKEY=cafepress&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=3074147511&OVKWID=6030297011

Beach Comber
06-28-2007, 05:30 PM
[quote=attroll;33274]This was just a suggestion anyways and that was all it was. It seems like people always want to turn it into something more. [quote]

Suggestions are important and will very likely prompt discussion. It's disappointing to think that after having been asked if there is interest in something and sharing an opinion that one is met with resistance for having expressed his/her opinion.

The points raised are the concerns of people with interests in the website and willingness to present their ideas. I have found that most of the suggestions or questions presented over the years have not been simple enough to warrant a yes or no response. Healthy discussion is important. If the result of the discussion is that people are not interested in the idea (for whatever their reason), then that is the result.

Suggestions will not always be met with automatic and enthusiastic agreement.

attroll
06-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I believe the CafePress does just that type of thing.

http://www.cafepress.com/?CMP=KNC-Y-HC&OVRAW=CafePress&OVKEY=cafepress&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=3074147511&OVKWID=6030297011
Cafepress in my opinion is expensive.
Here is a good example. Look at our cagepress site here http://www.cafepress.com/gcmaine.

You will see the prices on some shirts I set up a long time ago. If you notice the prices you will see you are not going to get a shirt for under $14.
The prices on this page are my prices at cost(no profit).
Now think about it. If we want to make a profit off cafepress then we would have to jack the prices up to about $5 each. That would make the shirts $20 and that does not even include shipping. Shipping is $5, so now that that brings the price of the shirt up to $25.
Even without jacking up the price to make a profit the price of the shirt with shipping in almost $20. That is to much in my opinion to pay for a cotton shirt.

I can get cotton shirts like the ones above made up for $5 to $6 depending on how many I order. I usually have to at least 24 in the order but sometime I can swing a deal and get the same price on smaller order.

Sudonim
06-29-2007, 12:31 AM
That IS expensive, even if it's a nice shirt.

Haffy
06-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey it was just a suggestion. You wanted some examples and I came up with one that's all. Remember what Beachcomber just said in an earlier thread? LOL

attroll
06-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Hey it was just a suggestion. You wanted some examples and I came up with one that's all. Remember what Beachcomber just said in an earlier thread? LOL
I understand it was just an example Haffy. I was just pointing out that it is not as cheap as everyone thinks it is. I was not getting on your case. I was just letting people know.

hide_from_the_kids
07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Kind of off subject but I like whoever had the wishlist idea . . . people could (and you would be surprised at how quickly they do) donate money if they know someone wants/needs something specific.

firefighterjake
07-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Kind of off subject but I like whoever had the wishlist idea . . . people could (and you would be surprised at how quickly they do) donate money if they know someone wants/needs something specific.

Towards that end . . . please send money to the . . . .

A) Send Jake to Alaska Fund . . . to visit his sick sister (well she was sick about four months ago and I'm sure she could become sick again)

B) Jake Needs the Top End of His Snowmobile Redone Fund . . . this is important so that Jake can snowmobile into Winter Camping Events without fear of his snowmobile breaking down in middle of nowhere . . . well Abbot :D

C) Jake Is Carpentry Challenged And Could Use a Contractor to Finish Renovating His House Fund . . . this will allow me more time to geocache and less time painting, sanding, repainting, resanding, repainting, etc. walls

D) Jake's Mustang Fund . . . this will allow Jake to quickly get to caches and maximize his geocaching in the time he has left before he dies (which should sometime in his mid-60s if genetics hold true ;) :D )

:D

Hiram357
07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
D) Jake's Mustang Fund . . . this will allow Jake to quickly get to caches and maximize his geocaching in the time he has left before he dies (which should sometime in his mid-60s if genetics hold true ;) :D )

:D

I won't support anything that goes towards a ford... How about a bueller wildcat??? :D :D :D

Team2hunt
07-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I think the idea of a banner is a good one and put me in for 20.00.

I also like the idea of just putting out an ammo can at events for whatever someone wants to raise money for. Then I can choose to make a donation and help the cause of not. What does it matter who and how much we raise. We always seem to get it done.

I do not like the idea of adding any costs to the Maine coin, since someone out of state may object. " That coin cost me an extra buck for what! " might put the GM.org in a bad light, and hurt future sales, and our reputation.

kayaker's suggestion for a "wish list thread" would get the ball rolling, and help out in the future. Let's start it out with the idea for a Geocachingmaine.org banner!! :rolleyes:

We are a great group of friends and cachers. Let's just keep it that way. Like a big extended family! You don't fix what aint broken.